What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The hemp seed hub: A thread for those who seek seeds and infos on hemp

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
That count also for some varieties from Nepal.Very tiny seeds.

picture.php

Keep on growing :)

dudin

The smallest seeds I have seen was a bastard x between dr.Grinspoon x Finola. Now I Just remembered 1/2 of the seeds was mine. I'll see if I can get em and start em all.

ahortator

Veteran
Hi

The seeds of a certain isolated local patch of ditchweed - technically railweed - are quite small as well. They are not retained on the plant for any length of time and fall out not long after pollination. This makes collecting the seeds nearly impossible outdoors - they would be a very bad variety for seed production outdoors. Indoors, nearly all of the seeds fall out with a bit of stem tapping - the slightest movement of the plant makes it rain seed.

It seems a good strategy for a wild plant to spread their seeds and avoid being eaten, hiden in the soil.

As here we only get Marrocan hash and it has no seeds. When I began to grow all I was able to get was hemp birdseed. The plants were very fast growing, fast flowering and by far much healthier than any psychoactive strain I have grown. I remember they have no mold or pest problems. The only two drawbacks are they lack any branches and they give you no high :D

Recently I have tried to grow birdseed again. But now most European strains are monoic cultivars, and all the Chinese huge birdseeds I get are sterilized and they don't sprout.

Best regards.

mexcurandero420

Veteran
Try a fish bait shop for some hemp seeds.The seeds they've over there are good if you live in Europe.

ahortator

Veteran
Hi

Thank you for your advice Mexcurandero :thank you:

About a year ago I tried to get some fish bait hemp but they didn't have any at the moment, only ground hemp seed. As the sport retailer is French and their products are mostly from France I didn't insisted.

I must try from a different source, because most hemp bird seed I have got recently didn't sprout and the few that grew into plants were hermies.

Greetings :tiphat:

mexcurandero420

Veteran
Never had a difficulty with Chinese hemp seeds they're selling over here.

2799195967_01e471c92f_o.jpg

Don't know if it still is but French hemp seeds were always treated with some kind of chemical.

ahortator

Veteran
Hi

I have several test tubes with Chinese birdseeds. They are the biggest Cannabis seeds I have ever seen by far. Sadly they didn't sprout.

Someone told me that the world first hempseed producer is China and one of the world biggest seed buyer is US. The US demand all hemp seed must be sterile so the Chinese irradiate or stelize by other means most seeds they export. But perhaps they are only too old to sprout.

French seed sprout well. But they grow monoic cultivars. Like Russians, and here in Spain now too. Two years ago I found a hemp plant with purple pistils but I chopped it because it have male flowers too. It produced a good amount of resin glans with good smell.

Your Chinese plant is very beautiful. Is that strain the C. gigantea / C. chinensis? Is your strain a branched type?

The hemp strains I have grown had no branches. They were only a steem with leaves and a bud/ male flowers cluster at the top.

Greetings.

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
For those interested, I'm currently growing eight hemp varieties from the IPK. Pictures (weekly updated) can be found in MY ALBUM ;) .

@ahortator: I don't know what the Chinese use to sterilise seeds (wouldn't astonish me ir they used gamma-rays) but the most common technique is infra-red irradiation. Treated seeds may still germinate to a low % shortly after the process but often grow as runts in the first generation. Maybe next time, directly grow them out! Alternatively, it should be possible to grow the embryos from such seeds in vitro on a nutrient solution...

mexcurandero420

Veteran
Your Chinese plant is very beautiful. Is that strain the C. gigantea / C. chinensis? Is your strain a branched type?

The plant at the front is USO-31, but behind are the Chinese ones and they had many branches like this one.

2891092986_0835ed34d7.jpg

Only Ornamental

Veteran
The plant at the front is USO-31...
That's a very nice looking plant! One wouldn't guess that it's a zero cannabinoid variety... :D
I've never seen a good picture of an USO-31 but imagined it to look completely different.
You seem to grow a lot of different hemp varieties. May I ask which ones you grew so far?

ahortator

Veteran
Hi

I think USO-31 is a Ukrainian monoic cultivar. I have seen pics of that strain growing in Manitoba in Canada.

It grows well even in Lithuania.

http://www.lzi.lt/tomai/97(3)tomas/97_3_tomas_str9.pdf

I think there is a Canadian cultivar for seed production called ESTA-1. It must be very hardy, but I don't know if it is monoecious or dioecious.

I don't know what they have done to the Chinese seeds I have but certainly they don't sprout, I tried to germinate hundreds but they refuse to sprout.

I have got no camera but I will try a friend make a photo of them.

Some time ago I was looking for some info and I found they have many new cultivars called Yunma-1, Yunma-2,...

http://www.cnhemp.com/products.html

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21938417

Mexcurandero, are you breeding with the Chinese hemp? She seems to have purple petioles and leaf veins. Very beautiful!

Greetings.

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Correct, USO-31 is Ukrainian and one of the three dominating varieties in Canada.
ESTA-1 like the other 'original' Canadian varieties is dioecious.

Try to make a good macro of the seeds, maybe one can see the thin cracks in the shell from the IR treatment ;) .
I asked the company breeding the Yunma for samples, never got an answer...

mexcurandero420

Veteran
Hemp varieties i grew was Kompolti Hybrid TC, USO-14, USO-31, Chinese varieties from Yunnan, Finola and several drug landraces.

close up USO-31 flower

2882369620_e5eb81c133_b.jpg

USO-31 field

2799195935_257b79cd9d_b.jpg

Breeding at this moment is a bit difficult cause the government is going backwards with their policy instead of forwards.Still have the Chinese seeds, but i'm thinking working further on my Moroccan/Durban creation this year.

avalon81

Buying organic hemp seeds for all uses (medicinal, industrial)

Buying organic hemp seeds for all uses (medicinal, industrial)

Dear all,

Where can I buy organic hemp seeds for both medicinal and industrial purposes?

I live in Germany.

Many thanks in advance:huggg:!

Avalon

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Where can I buy organic hemp seeds for both medicinal and industrial purposes?

I live in Germany...
Read the very first post in this thread, last paragraph "Where to buy seeds legally". Now, most seeds you can get are likely not organic. As you're growing the seeds and don't eat them directly, it may be an acceptable ethical compromise to get IP quality instead and just grow them organic (although, they won't get a certificate). Anyway, I am not a 100% sure how legal hemp growing in Germany is but I think it's very illegal. Should you have means to do it legally, you will have to buy EU certified varieties from one of the few official sources (25 kg bags!) where, to my knowledge, only Finola will be certified organic. If you're not sure which variety to chose, please read the first post in detail.

Furthermore, post #23 in THIS thread refers to a very good and helpful store in Finland. IIRC Finland (I really mean every single store in Finland) only sells organic Finola seeds and no other hemp variety and no 'minor' quality either ;) . But sowing these seeds will be illegal because it's grains for food and not as seeds. Just saying...

Apart from that, medicinal qualities are often opposed to industrial qualities. A tall non-branched fibre cultivar will result in poor medicine (not enough flowers). A highly branched variety, though having a lot of flowers, will give poor fibres; if you pollinate the flowers, the energy will go into the seeds and reduce a medicinal yield whereas growing sinsemilla for medicine will ultimately annihilate any use as seed crop. Also, the intended uses are highly affected by the time till flower induction and even more so to maturity. There is no hemp for everything (well, there is, but these are mediocre in every regard, are not EU certified, and may be of a mixed chemotype, i.e. some individuals contain THC).
Furthermore, common hemp will contain roughly 1-5% CBD depending on cultivation, climate and so on. This is generally not regarded as very medicinal; although Finola is on the lower side regarding cannabinoid content, several people are very satisfied with it (me included).