What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The hemp seed hub: A thread for those who seek seeds and infos on hemp

L

Luther Burbank

Same reccurent photo? Not sure I follow OO. I have not seen it outside this book.

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
Every time the question about big seeds gets posed, someone posts this photo (well, there's a second one going around with a hand holding huge seeds but I haven't seen that in a while).

Hi so I have this strain called star of peter. I'm not sure of the origin but it is supposed to be a 3:1 producer of hemp over other industrial varieties. It was gifted to me 11 seeds when I was buying gear from jack and eddies personal collections. What a score! (not just the star of peter!)he didn't know any more about it than that but he wouldn't sell them to me only gift them...

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Hi so I have this strain called star of peter. I'm not sure of the origin but it is supposed to be a 3:1 producer of hemp over other industrial varieties. It was gifted to me 11 seeds when I was buying gear from jack and eddies personal collections. What a score! (not just the star of peter!)he didn't know any more about it than that but he wouldn't sell them to me only gift them...
What exactly does it produce more than 'other industrial varieties'; Fibre, pulp, essential oil, biomass for fuel...?
Are you going to grow it in- or outdoors?

Anyway, I wish you all the best with it!

he said weight. I guess I should have asked specifically :bashhead:

Like I said this guy wasn't a hemp aficionado or anything. And I've never tried to grow hemp so I obviously didn't know what to ask.

He actually told me, now that I think about it, that I had to make more seeds with it and throw them over the fence of a big tobacco company field of MJ when they became legal to infest the gene pool(or something like that)

I was just wondering if anybody had ever heard of it because I didn't see it on any of the lists here and it sounded Russian maybe?

Only Ornamental

Veteran
he said weight. I guess I should have asked specifically :bashhead:

Like I said this guy wasn't a hemp aficionado or anything. And I've never tried to grow hemp so I obviously didn't know what to ask.

He actually told me, now that I think about it, that I had to make more seeds with it and throw them over the fence of a big tobacco company field of MJ when they became legal to infest the gene pool(or something like that)

I was just wondering if anybody had ever heard of it because I didn't see it on any of the lists here and it sounded Russian maybe?
Weight? And he's no hemp breeder? Infest the tobacco gene pool with cannabis? There's something off with this guy if you ask me :) .
Russian? No way LoL! 'Zolotonoshskaya Yuzhnosozrevayushchaya Odnodomnaya 1' (or USO-11) is an example of a Russian variety.
IMHO 'Star of Peter' sounds more like a CBD-hype drug type x hemp hybrid à la Charlottes Web or Cannatonic.

As already mentioned, grow it out!

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
More info on chinese varieties?

I bought a bag of big chinese seeds a few years ago, before the finola boom. Nowadays we have enough domestic suppliers and therefore not much, if any seeds are being imported.

Anyways this variety seems dioecious and I crossed it with finola to have a better look outdoors next summer.

Damn, how long has it been, 40 days? The seeds are still not ready, and their size looks ridiculous for such a small plant. What I noticed about this plant is the smell. Can you say dank?

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Yeah, I just collected seven ripe seeds from the buds. Presumed Yunnan x Finola. I can see why people might consider these 'indicas', the structure is robust and the leaves remind me of Thai. In contrast to the original pale seeds these are heavily striped. Like new born wild hogs :D Very plump too.

The maturation of seeds was unusually slow but I don't think it really takes 50 days. Under closer inspection I concluded that the raw seeds in the buds are from a later pollination, this time fathered by a wild ruderalis. Now that's gonna be interesting! I wonder if I might end up with something similar to a Central Asian indica.

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Just to keep the thread alive, here some news I stumbled upon:

- The Italian variety Bernabeo is said to have a high incidence of individuals with the B0 allele and hence produce neither THC nor CBD but accumulate the precursor CBG. Unfortunately, this variety is not yet registered and only used as breeding tool (for now).

- And here a site with some compiled info on hemp varieties: www.cannadata.eu . It's a new site as it seems and does only contain little material (for now :D ).

As usual, the first post is regularly updated with things like this ;) .

Have fun reading and breeding and keep us posted!

oldchuck

Veteran
I read that Colorado growers harvested about 200 acres of hemp this year out of a thousand permitted. Because of the seed shortage, the article said, all of the crop will go toward increasing seed supply. Just keeping the thread alive. I wonder what varieties they are growing. I'm still hunting for ditch weed seed.

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Just added more seed banks to the first post:
Dutch seed collection @ Wageningen University. Cannabis collection only on demand and very pricey!

And a super helpful site which regroups most European seed banks (only for hemp but everything): EURESCO

dudin

Finola x DR 58N (selected 65N) 160-180cm. I crossed it (open pollination) with an auto ak x pehkruder x dr breed 65N. Hope that will raise the potency. I just sent out 4000 seeds on a share friendly site. :)

5feqvt.jpg

t9frsx.jpg

St. Phatty

How often does it happen that a good fiber plant is also a good medicine plant ?

I've had times when I was manicuring (which usually means I liked the bud the stem was attached to) when I noticed that certain stems were super strong. 20 pounds to break a strand the size of a hair.

In other words, a very high yield strength in tension, for a few plants. The kind of material quality that works well design-wise.

#2 - I thought one of the things that gives hemp its grow profile is the practice of planting seeds really close together - like 16 plants per square foot.

If you do that with good medicine seeds, will you get hemp-like growth, with a layer of flowers at the top ?

Just wondering how much overlap there is between Cannabis hemp and Cannabis medicine growth patterns.