What's new

The Haze discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

elanius

Veteran
"to cross it to pure unrelated sativa" I thought Nevil often mentioned there was Thai in Haze no?

in my opinion, holy grail weed might be different for Neville then for someone else. Seems he liked the thai high or found there the same qualities he wanted to locked them in. Depends on which direction you want to go, racy, electric, freaky (some thais) or stimulating yet grounded, extremely pleasant and euphoric but not heart racing ? (colombian for example)
Just find the best NLD high you love, cross it with inbred consistent NLD line like haze and...hope for the best :D you might have the "holy grail" but the question is, for how long? Until you go search for something else, there is no holy grail imo, are brain is adapting too easily for that. Would anyone like to smoke only one type of weed for the rest of days? Most people would choose one strain, only if they are forced, like what seeds would you choose, if you get stuck on an island. But I guess the word holy grail has also different meaning for most people, anyone know what Neville meant by that term, im just curious.

Red October

Yes indeed Hempy.

Nevil placed the recipe right under our noses

What I think is worth mentioning is when I asked DJ who had a link to Nevil in the very early Amsterdam day's... "What his thoughts were on the Hawaiian Nevil received from Roger from New York ?"
DJ went on to say that the Hawaiian Haze was his favourite of all the Haze hybrids..... now that is saying something !!!!

It's got me beat why Haze fans are not looking into this particular line for the absolute grail !

I also agree with Thai but also would not discount South Indian, Mexican or Columbian as a sort of backcross which is restoring the potency and vigor to the Haze with it's inbreeding depression to the Haze but also adding a different magical edge with some slightly unrelated pure sativa line into the mix

Namaste
lol sagarmatha for the win!!!

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
IMO most experienced smokers can judge quality pretty well. Quality can be very different from 1 to another. If you grow and smoked since the 70's judging quality isn't difficult having such a wide range of experiences to draw from. Many are judging quality from whats been around since 2000 or later. Lots still think weed back than was crap from the pics HT printed. That couldn't be further from the truth:tiphat:

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
who the hell bashed anything on nevil ? PLEASE QUOTE IT

or stop drummin on instrument full of sh1t
i wondered this too ,

i went back to read again and saw no one bashing anyone ,
until i saw the post saying someone was ,

in fact i think rahos post was one of the best this thread has seen for quite some time ,
a comprehensive , informative post , all in layman's terms that everyone could understand and relate too ,
well almost everyone ...

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i wondered this too ,

i went back to read again and saw no one bashing anyone ,
until i saw the post saying someone was ,

in fact i think rahos post was one of the best this thread has seen for quite some time ,
a comprehensive , informative post , all in layman's terms that everyone could understand and relate too ,
well almost everyone ...

hempy reads things that are not there :D.. No one was bashing Nevil.

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
Hi all seams a few are getting there panty's all twisted out of shape when we bring up Neville's work with Haze and his contributions so i felt it was best to open a new thread were we can discuss both Sam and Neville's Haze lines is a mature and respectful way.

........ ;)

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
hempy reads things that are not there :D.. No one was bashing Nevil.
yes and the next thing will be he will get all antsy about him being able to have an opinion and not get hassled for it ,
when he just finished putting down someone elses opinion and doing exactly what he is accusing someone else of doing ,
im sure im not the only person that notices this ...

settle down hempy ,, go read rahos post again

you dont have to agree with what he said ,
but dont make it out to be an attack when it is nothing of the sort ...

you make yourself out to be some sativa expert,
but as others have pointed out some of what you call the best sativa , is polluted with indica
it cant be called pure sativa , and the high has been altered with the addition of indica

its fine if you like that , no problem at all ,
everyones tastes vary and the effects of cannabis are subjective ,

but its really not the same as they are talking about ,
something you have not even tried to be able to comment on.

respect their opinions just like you would have them respect yours..

TheDarkStorm

Did some posts get deleted or something ???
One were gypsy had to step in ...and one were cosmic giggle even had to say no flaming and trolling..??????

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
Special 🍆
yes, one personal insult post was removed... nothing else.
if there is anything else in the post beside the insult that is worth to keep, posts are edited, and cleared, and the rest stays.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
- Ehh - personal insults will not be tolerated - and to resort to them often shows that you have actually lost the debate -

* - one post removed - next time the poster will be removed -

:good: No Trolling, No Flaming, THANKS! :clock watch:

Did some posts get deleted or something ???
One were gypsy had to step in ...and one were cosmic giggle even had to say no flaming and trolling..??????
all there still darkie,
just a few pages back is all ...

TheDarkStorm

This is how the old nevils haze grew...huge internodal spacing....the giant tree is done in Australia and did well...ghs had one that was one of the more indiac leaning ones in there old grow(the one with russian subtitles) videos..and you can see the amount of streatch it gets indoors (pictured). The altered version is all bud and not much leaf and has much tighter node spacing..if your getting that its not the original.

Attachments

• Nhz#21 pic2.jpg
    Nhz#21 pic2.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 16
  • user451998_pic1952658_1560053282.jpg
    user451998_pic1952658_1560053282.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 420-magazine-mobile1642967079.jpg
    420-magazine-mobile1642967079.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 19
  • hqdefault.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 14

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
who the hell bashed anything on nevil ? PLEASE QUOTE IT

or stop drummin on instrument full of sh1t

A lot of Maha posts have been removed were he was attacking Nevil but some are till around im not the only one that seeing this.

Yeah - it is rather bad form to be negative towards Neville - particularly since he has not long ago departed this world - for goodness sake - just let him rest in peace.

Less of the soap opera - more of the cannabis.

From one of Maha threrads.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=8663959#post8663959

Just about every haze thread, Maha, you're mocking someone. What's your problem, you petty pos.
..and few months ago you didn't even understand that Jamaicans are related to old Columbian genetics. Some expert. LOL. Ignorant and arrogant.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=8804240&postcount=1147

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Back to topic

Todd McCormick

I do not have a specific favorite Haze, but that said, there is a terpene profile that is spicy and reminiscent of the original “Northern Lights #5 x Haze” that I first smoked at the cannabis castle back in 1994. The same spicy terpene combination can also be found in “Nevil’s Haze” and is the scent and taste (and high) that truly got me hooked on Haze. It was the old NL5xHaze combination that inspired me to make the crosses that are featured in my collection. I felt as if the NL5 was just one color out of a rainbow of elite clone-only cultivars that we now have floating around California, and by putting ON Haze to it was kinda like applying a neon filter over a primary color, with the goal of making it brighter without losing its original tone. Original Haze is not the best smoke on its own, but it is magical when you breed it with other plants, as Sam the Skunkman often stated; “Haze makes everything else better”. My overall goal with my Haze projects is twofold: I am bringing Original Haze seeds to the market by reproducing them as an IBL in my greenhouse under the guidance of Sam the Skunkman. Second, I am looking to bring back high-energy and inspirational varieties of cannabis that perhaps take longer (10 to 13, as opposed to 8 to 10 weeks) to flower and have more of a morning coffee effect, rather than a sedative relaxing one. The over 60 varieties that I crossed with my male ON Haze plant represent a pretty full spectrum of the terpenes available in cannabis today. In the future, cannabis competitions will not be based on incorrect terminology such as Indica & sativa, but instead it will be based upon the highest expressed terpene tested on that plant. Meaning plants that are mostly yellow would be completing with other plants that are mostly yellow, and we would not be trying to compare black-and-white cannabis flowers when they were very different in the first place. Your favorite Haze combination will depend upon your favored terpene profile, which is why I created a range for all to try.

Found here https://gramho.com/explore-hashtag/OriginalHaze
As you can see, from the pedigree of NH, the average age of the grandparents is about 40 years. It is for this reason that the NH is the most useful candidate for the Grail Sire. To my knowledge, it has been inbred to Haze only once, and this came with a price.
The NL5 x Haze, from both Haze males A and B, was a very consistent hybrid. The likelihood of a good plant coming out of a small batch of seeds was in your favour. My opinion for what it's worth is that this is the best Indica/Sativa F1 Hybrids that I have grown. I don't know where you can still get a genuine 5xHz f1 hybrid today. Fortunately we still have clones. of the two best F1 females.
The price for back crossing the 5HzA back to Haze C was that the hybrid was not as consistent as the 5Hz. Maybe one in 20 females would be better than the 5Hz. Further doubling up on HzA or C will reduce the return even further. I know this from experience.
If there are other good haze lines out there, be it from Sam or the Haze bros., what are the chances of it being an F1? If large numbers of the progeny smell like cat piss, it's very likely inbred and therefore not likely to be a good candidate. A 25% Haze hybrid from a different Haze line that has not been inbred to Haze would offer more hope.
Smoko time
N.
I have been asked if I liked the NH? I will admit it was faster, maybe easier to find a keeper, does give strong herb that many people liked, but I did prefer OHaze.
Even though I suggested to growers to use it as a parent for hybrids instead of as a production clone. As I suggested to Nevil, it is an easy way to get great hybids with unleated lines.
A few growers do find keeper clones in Ohaze seeds it is more work than and you will need more plants, then when making great hybrids.
Remember I do not smoke much herb, I smoke dry sift Resin as long as I can get it.
This is not really a right or wrong, it is about personal preferences both in growing and what you prefer to smoke.
My feelings are clear, take the Red Pill.

-SamS

TheDarkStorm

Back to topic

I see something in the quote you put up...nevil was open to looking at another haze line even if the original first generation haze had been outcrossed down to a remaing 25%...as long as it hadnt been inbred multiple generations or open polinated many times with other blood.....as it would drop the return too low of finding plants beter than the parent.....wich is the whole point.
Nowdays you get people finding decent haze clones and making seed...but do the seeds surpass the parent...and is it good as or beter than the original first generation hazes....or are they just preserving at best wat little is left

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
All the hints you need are there inbreeding is not the direction and this is coming from both men who have worked haze the longest.The more you dig back threw there posts the more you understand.

NH was used because Nevil said - NH is the most useful candidate for the Grail Sire. To my knowledge, it has been inbred to Haze only once, and this came with a price.

What Nevil was trying to do with the Grail project was use a Haze line that was not inbreed to then out cross that to a pure Sativa preferable a Thia and then dig out from that union for Haze ancestry.

The closer you can get to the original first mating to Haze the better it was.

Koondense

Veteran
Still to have one in twenty to be better than the original, i feel it's a good direction to explore. It's obvious people want consistency but i got the feeling you need to dig in most lines to find keepers, as is the case with o haze backcrosses. And they are supposedly better than the original crosses, as quoted. So the grail is there somewhere.

Cool infos hempy.

Cheers

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
IMO most experienced smokers can judge quality pretty well. Quality can be very different from 1 to another. If you grow and smoked since the 70's judging quality isn't difficult having such a wide range of experiences to draw from. Many are judging quality from whats been around since 2000 or later. Lots still think weed back than was crap from the pics HT printed. That couldn't be further from the truth:tiphat:

Yup..too true.. Not on subject of haze, but the widow we had round 2000 puts half the modern stuff to shame, my skunk from late 80's shits on every modern variety I have tested so far..I mean completely shits all over them..And I have bred plants that tasted better than my skunk but lost them...The old school jack herer was something else as well..I just did a tester of one of chimera's grapefruit x blueberry aka sweettooth 1.0, and its aroma is heavenly..first 3 drags on a spliff leave one going WTF?! Not one of the maybe 40 other testers in same room come close to the terps on that..ja modern stuff..looks all amazing, twice the resin, but the smoke leaves on wanting more..Tasted a "beach wedding" tester before the GFxBB, which was a very nice smoke, acrid chemmy terps with some berries, but first drag on the second tester spliff and the first spliff just got ashtrayed..

A mate just tasted some in a bong and exclaimed this is old school, like the weed that you used to get once, and go back to the dealer and ask if you can only get that the next time, and its all gone and you never find it again..that was his description..Mine is like diving your face in the perfumed tits of a really hot girl and just closing your eyes and snuggling in LOL..that is how it smells LOL...Anyway off topic for haze, but yeah those that missed out on the late 90's early 2000's weed, missed out!

Just grown out some black widow from old Mr nice seed as well, and its some very sativa plant that is nothing like the old sensi widow LOL so it was not all good back then, but there was some special weed that modern stuff doesn't touch..

Last edited:

Nexus7

OHz s1 up

OHz s1 up

We are in the middle of an oHaze Renaissance right now, and there is a very good reason for it.
A small, loosely affiliated group of passionate people have been working and collaborating for YEARS away from ICmag to grow out and make selections from all the available lines of oHaze on the market.

Much respect and many thanks to all involved! :tiphat:

picture.php

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
I was never a fan of Auto lines well then i saw these all i can say is wow have Auto genetics come a long way.

Strawberry Mango Haze SuperAuto.
21993110_1151217058355504_8460030363205531003_o.jpg

Bit of a zig hale moment

22095960_1151216951688848_498311554556382630_o.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts