What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Guerrilla Handbook - A future documentary in the making

T

tropicannayeah

Team Microbe.....great minds think alike, lol

One suggestion I'd like to make is to prepare the plots as close as possible to the fallen tree as possible because that's where the rich, black soil is (I actually try roll the tree over or break up sections of it and that way you will have more access to great soil....or remove the soil from under the composting tree (where it has had contact with the ground) and use this in your plots....and also scatter a few armfuls of dead leaves, twigs, branches etc around the plants so walkers by won't see the fresh dug soil.

and as good as the soil is under a composting tree, it is still a good idea to add organic nutrients to the soil a month or so before planting.

I also noticed that the fallen tree in photo looks a bit fresh (and doesn't have a lot of contact with the soil), so this plot will get better each year as the tree composts and breaks down and insect activity increases etc. I find that the best tree to plant close to are ones that so rotted that they fall apart when prodded or pushed.

The biggest problem I have around here are creepers or vines...there's several invasive species here now which are called "the acre per month" vine because it literally does that. It strangles everything really quickly. I have to visit my plots at least weekly in the Summer and Autumn to the cut back these strangling vines.

Happy Growing!

Last edited:

Apache Kush

you had me at brown dirt warrior!
BDW videos were inspiration and informative, Ill be reading this ok cya

also with getting specific where are you growing outdorrs USA?
Canada? PNW, Southwest, South? maybe i MISSED IT?

Team Microbe

Veteran
Team Microbe.....great minds think alike, lol

One suggestion I'd like to make is to prepare the plots as close as possible to the fallen tree as possible because that's where the rich, black soil is (I actually try roll the tree over or break up sections of it and that way you will have more access to great soil....or remove the soil from under the composting tree (where it has had contact with the ground) and use this in your plots....and also scatter a few armfuls of dead leaves, twigs, branches etc around the plants so walkers by won't see the fresh dug soil.

and as good as the soil is under a composting tree, it is still a good idea to add organic nutrients to the soil a month or so before planting.

I also noticed that the fallen tree in photo looks a bit fresh (and doesn't have a lot of contact with the soil), so this plot will get better each year as the tree composts and breaks down and insect activity increases etc. I find that the best tree to plant close to are ones that so rotted that they fall apart when prodded or pushed.

The biggest problem I have around here are creepers or vines...there's several invasive species here now which are called "the acre per month" vine because it literally does that. It strangles everything really quickly. I have to visit my plots at least weekly in the Summer and Autumn to the cut back these strangling vines.

Happy Growing!

Great tips man, now that I think back - the grass around the base of the trunk that was touching the ground was a lot taller and darker green compared to the grass I cut away where I dug my hole for that seedling. I love the idea of digging up soil that's under rotting logs too, that's brilliant! Never thought about that before... and when I fill it back in with brush it won't look like anything happened since it'll be directly under the log.

I'm glad you mention the vines getting so out of control because I was debating on transplanting cuttings of invasive species around the brush that surrounds some of my patches. I feel like it would provide great camo and would naturally keep animals out but if it grows even half as fast as those I don't wanna do it because it's not my land. That would be near impossible to eradicate once it's spread, huh? Phew, that was close lol

maybe find a cool use for go pro?

Yeah I was thinking about that last night actually, I know from using them while snowboarding that they offer a few different mounting options - the head strap (most annoying), the chest mount (my favorite), a pole mount, and a wrist strap for holding it your hand securely. I'll be using my DSLR as well to film higher quality stills, and telephoto shots from far away and stuff like that. Idk if I could watch a video like this if it was all in GoPro fish eye, I'm gonna mix it up with the other camera and throw screen shots from the internet in a few different places.. I think it's going to work out.

Do you have any other GoPro ideas?

you had me at brown dirt warrior!
BDW videos were inspiration and informative, Ill be reading this ok cya

also with getting specific where are you growing outdorrs USA?
Canada? PNW, Southwest, South? maybe i MISSED IT?

:laughing: You're my kind of grower then bro - they are really informative and is where I'm basing this video off of in a way. Ever since I watched it I've been thinking about it during grow site visits, and how much I can add to what he's already taught us all. I'm no pro by any means, but I'm extra careful and have a lot of "secrets of the trade" I've wanted to share but didn't know how to pretty much. Btw I reside at 40N in the North East.

iTarzan

I don't want to get into a BDW debate and ruin this thread. I have respect for BDW in that he did a massive amount of work and that alone was inspirational. However, much of it went unrewarded except his videos were a good success.

He had too much in one area. He should have planted more and smaller plots.

He brought everything in at the start of the grow. If you need to use all the bales of soil they should have been brought in during the winter and concealed. There had to have been a huge trail. Plus he should have good soil in the PNW especially in hardwood forrest mountain areas.

Unless you plant in poor soils you don't need to have bales of medium. Native soils can be much better than anything you can haul in. Now some states you have to do it. Northeast has lots of good state soil. Pa and NY are as good as it gets really. But so are many other states.

Sneaky, steady, diligent, organized, motivated and energetic prep and planting missions. Make a schedule and to do list and do it. Keep going until your to do list is done.

I already posted my basic system in the thread A NEW GUERRILLA WAY TO GROW.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=278674&page=6

Last edited:

Team Microbe

Veteran
I don't want to get into a BDW debate and ruin this thread. I have respect for BDW in that he did a massive amount of work and that alone was inspirational. However, much of it went unrewarded except his videos were a good success.

He had too much in one area. He should have planted more and smaller plots.

He brought everything in at the start of the grow. If you need to use all the bales of soil they should have been brought in during the winter and concealed. There had to have been a huge trail. Plus he should have good soil in the PNW especially in hardwood forrest mountain areas.

Unless you plant in poor soils you don't need to have bales of medium. Native soils can be much better than anything you can haul in. Now some states you have to do it. Northeast has lots of good state soil. Pa and NY are as good as it gets really. But so are many other states.

Sneaky, steady, diligent, organized, motivated and energetic prep and planting missions. Make a schedule and to do list and do it. Keep going until your to do list is done.

I already posted my basic system in the thread A NEW GUERRILLA WAY TO GROW.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=278674&page=6

Great points made here, and I'll always show my respects for BDW. He made some mistakes like we all do, but the worst thing that could've happened is that he didn't learn from those mistakes.

I have to bring bales into my swamp grows usually because there's a lot of clay in those soils. This year I'm going to haul in 7 cubic foot bales of rice hulls along with nutrient packs all mixed and ready to cook for a month before transplanting. BDW didn't really know anything about organic growing, but if he did I bet he would've been more successful because he would've just planted in that rich native he had up in B.C.

Persistence really IS everything like you say, I think you're right. I try to work 4 hours a day during the week days every season, but some weeks I only put in 2 or 3 days of work if I'm too sore. I have an indoor grow to care for as well so that requires some attention as well.

you could cover making a water collection bath by wrapping some binbags in fibreglass epoxy. do one yourself it would give me some tips.

budman678

I come from the land where the oceans freeze
Veteran
So, it's 100% confirmed brown dirts vids aren't satire? I love that he has Kentucky Kush in his later vids. Excellent GUERILLA marketing for a seedline

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
A video is a great idea as it seems that so much of new information nowadays comes from video not text....a video would reach a larger audience.

I've grown guerrilla every year for a few decades and I too learn something new every year.

Here's a couple of helpful hints that come to mind....

Trodden down paths that lead to your plots are something you really need to prevent. Grass and other vegetation quickly becomes dead when walked on just a few times.Try doing this as soon as the plot is selected for growing, not later. Place rocks, logs etc on your "path" or paths at step or jump intervals. This way there won't be a very visible track leading rippers, pilots, hunters, police, bush walkers, land owners and others directly to your grow.

Plot selection.....the very healthiest plants I grow are in plots where a huge fallen tree has or is rotting. Not only is the soil under and right beside the tree will be full of worms and rich in nutrients, when a huge tree falls, there's a bigger opening for the sun too.

Watering is always hard work in the dry hot months, but site selection comes in to play here too...the best plots are those close to swamps or beside creeks....Although I had an almost perfect year for weather in 2014, some plots in a forest still required watering several times per week during the hot months but the ones at the edge of a swamp were only watered when I was giving them fertilizer teas. The next best plots are at the bottom of hills, valleys or where ever water flows to. The next best potential plots are where native plants stayed greener, healthier and wilt free at the end of hot, dry months.

Happy Growing
i do the same thing and i also get my soil from under trees that has fallen down and rotting..i just get some peat and mix it in that and a few soil conditioners and grow great plants that way..here is a pic of one those trees that i get my soil from

I've been growing for about 10 years now, and I've only seen a small handful of videos on guerrilla growing - Brown Dirt Warrior being the main person in mind. While giving my respect to BDW, I wanted to make a more detailed documentary on guerrilla growing. This will include a more behind-the-scenes look at the entire process from seedling to flower, everything in between and helpful hints I've learned over the years along the way. I'll be exposing myths, common mistakes, and hope to make this video as fail-proof as Murphy's Law allows for each guerrilla grower out there.... but I need some advice from other Outdoor growers on this one..

View Image

I'm going to make this for everyone, from simple things like Strain & Site Selection, to more advanced topics like how environment determines genetic expression. I'll be giving out my favorite soil mix, other soil mixes, IPM routines, compost tea recipes (I only use 2), and things of that nature. I'm no pro at this, but I think this type of video could be helpful to other people like me out there get to where they want to be in the Outdoor game...

View Image

The Guerrilla Handbook

Chapters

1. Pre-Season Preparation

2. Tools of the Trade

3. Site-Selection

4. Hiding in Plain Sight

5. Water Collection/Storage

6. Alibis & Unexpected Guests

7. The Dreaded Path

8. Payload Hauling and Vehicle Profiling

9. Drop-Sites

10. Germination, Cloning, and Transplanting

11. Soil vs. Synthetics

12. Soil Mixes

13. IPM Routines (Integrated Pest Management)

14. Compost Tea Brewing

15. Growing Your Own Nutrients

16. Hardening Clones Off

17. Transplanting: Timing & Techniques

18. Strain Selection, Latitude, and Finishing Times

19. Yields - The Hidden Truth

20. Important Points of Influence

21. How to Unlock Full Genetic Potential in Plants

22. How to Repel Deer and Other Animals

23. Training Techniques

24. Visiting Hours

25. Plant Diseases, Deficiencies, and Pests

26. Defeating Airborne Pathogens (Bud rot)

27. Security Devices (cameras, detectors)

28. Rippers, LEO, and Land Owners

29. Harvesting

31. Transporting Payloads

32. Drying

33. Traffic Stops & What Not To Do

34. The Perfect Cure

35. Common Mistakes

Am I missing anything ^ here?

Great thread bro! im not sure how i missed this one before now,i also have some links in my sig that a few guerillas may want to check out as well..I know when i first found Icmag last year looking for solutions on leaf spot and bud rot it lead me here..although i was already infected with both virus's,i did manage to save 3 crops from the rot bc of hamstrings sticky thread and silverbacks "a discussion on mold" and ever since i have learned something new everday..we are very fortunate to have a site with some the most knowledgeable growers on the plant..the way i see it if we arent learning something never each year then we are not advanceing our growing skills..it dont matter to me if someone is 20 or 70 as each guerilla out there has some knowledge that we all can utilize and put into our own grows for a better harvest year after year..one thing i have found really helpful is the link in my sig named "SAR Inducers".. i think everone can get something out those threads.happy growing

Team Microbe

Veteran
Thanks brother, it hit me one night that I wanted to make something like this film and I decided I'm going to do it. It's def going to add some excitement to the year that's for sure.

That soil looks like some black gold btw!!

Team Microbe

Veteran
have fun..

Thanks man, I will... I bet I'll end up learning a thing or two during the project as well. It seems things like that always come back around full circle one way or another...

thank you for spending your personal time to help other growers! cant wait to see the finished product

Np man, I was originally going to just document my season but that might be boring if it doesn't end up being a banging year... so I figured I might as well make this useful to some growers that are where I was at last year and the year before that. It's amazing how much you learn in 1 season... mistakes should be seen as lessons IMO - the more we learn from them the wiser we will ultimately become.

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
It's amazing how much you learn in 1 season... mistakes should be seen as lessons IMO - the more we learn from them the wiser we will ultimately become.

u got that shit right..the stuff i learned from last year to where i am right now.i dont even see how the years before i even cropped anything lol i was doing everthing just about totally wrong..only thing i wasnt doing wrong was watering and digging holes..i didnt know that before but looking back at all the years previous to where i am right now is a huge difference and im sure to learn alot more this year... the pic u have on page 2 of the tree that is down and the plant beside it,is that the church?

Team Microbe

Veteran
Yep that's her alright... I put her out on August 1st though so she didn't get as big as she could have. That spot has potential, but I gotta keep it on the low because there's a dirt bike trail that borders this swamp so I can't risk growing anything really tall here for that reason. The grass goes up to about 4' the entire season so this plant is virtually invisible until you walk right up onto it. I might plant here in the first week of June, and then just tie down the top horizontally as it grows older. That'll work out really well I think... and know that I think about it further I might put some more plants in that spot next to that tree. It has like 0 coverage from above, that's the only thing. The root mass provides cover from the north but the south side is all bare. I don't think anyone would notice if I keep it looking native with random planting patterns. I might try to tuck some in right next to the root mass too... and have them taking advantage of all that rich soil surrounding the base of it

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
hell ya man i cant wait to get them cracked lol..my women keeps saying i will be glad u get started with that shit..shes referring to me going into my bed room and getting into the closet where i have the stuff i ordered like ful-power,lush roots,cytoplus etcetc..i keep going in there and checking things out bc i read something online and i will go and check if the certain products i have, has whatever im reading about at the time lol
just super crop it really nice and top a few times will be fine..i super cropped one my plants last year by accident..i usally only top 1 time and am done with it..well the cage that i had around one my ladies got tangled up in my foot and feel and when i did the 2 tops which was taller then the cage both got bent and it bent the stalk..at the time i thought fk its gonna die now but it grew that nice knot that i read about super cropping doing..i will do everone my plants like that year 1 or 2 times..it made those stalks super strong and wind couldnt hurt it at all..
ya thats what i was telling u i like the soil under those trees that are blown over..works really well..i found out the hard way though if u put just all that soil by its self in a hole it turns into cement..this year i will be adding some areation stuff to the mix..will do a comparison with like 50.50 tree soil/happy frog,50.50 happy frog/ocean forest,50.50 tree soil/ocean forest,100% happy frog and 100% ocean forest and see which delahaze grows the best..i know that wont be no scientific finding..it will just be for my 2016 prepartion lol