What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Funk Lab

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
I want to share some pictures from the Purple Congolese I've been preserving, since Coastal Seeds Co guys have been testing those in California the past season. Plants were harvested in December and color was deep purple.

This is a very special line for me, since it was gathered by an oldschool fisherman from northern coastal Spain during a fishing expedition to the African coast. Many sailors used to smoke and even smuggle back then, they first introduced african ganja in coastal Spain and Portugal. Anyway the guy traded some weed in exchange for a few cured codfish pieces with some local congolese fishermen and he brought the bagseeds home back then. The plants aren't very powerful but the lovely colors and unique chemmy-grape smell makes her super interesting for further research.

I got to know about this guy and when I first spoke to him on the phone he told me he started smoking many decades ago and grew a few modern hybrids during the past few years, but he always went back to his old seeds because at his age he was looking for a nice positive and clear effect, not couchlock weed that would make him lazy.

At that time I knew it was something special, because when heavy smokers have a favourite plant it must be for a reason, especially when they tend to dislike narcotic weed. So I drove a few hours with the goal to meet the guy and stayed at his place for a few days, smoking, sharing experiences and so on. He was a bit grumpy, he lived far in the countryside, where he had horses and was breeding with cocks and chicken, but a very humble guy to say the least, he and his wife hosted my lady and myself for a lovely weekend and even took us for a tour at the nicest spots nearby, including a beach club where surfers used to gather and smoke. At the end, he passed some of those seeds along with some other mexicans to me and told me he never has been sharing them before. So I'm hoping to honor this guy and his legacy in the future and preserve this beautiful landrace.

Vibes.

picture.php

From the very begginning the flowers start to show red traits that may resemble to the oldschool Red Panamans and Colombians.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
Here you can see how the plant starts to get darker as she matures and gets exposed to lower temps...you can see how the flowers start to turn purple and the leaves follow.

picture.php

Finally the color will turn into full dark, just like the purplest indicas:

picture.php

GSC Forum? Nope... Purple Congo! LOL

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
The final product resembles quite a lot to the buds from the original P1 purple female I've used to produce the latest batch of seeds:

picture.php

picture.php

Original P1 female grown in 2014:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
Good job with Congo Musta, very aesthetic pictures you have! The turn blacky/cold is very interesting despite the final potency or not but have you compared the smoke with normal indoor condition? potent change? Or also blacky purple ends indoor? (Like the Lambsbread i mean...)

Jamaican

Btw Nico Fr grower seeks help friends to preserve select n repro his good number of Congo import.
Could you help his also Kong project? https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=343589

Peace amigo bonne suite! :huggg:

Ollie

Veteran
Wicked work, Big up.

The reproduction seems to sport a bit better Trichome density.

Really looking forward to see where this will go ..

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
Hi Roms... I didn't try her indoors yet, since I want to focus on older seeds for now before doing any selections or more breeding but I'm definitely looking forward to it.

I would like to find a few interesting extreme landraces with enough potential and find some other faster and more compact lines to tame them a bit. Things like Oaxacan,
Nepalese and some others come to mind.

Interesting projects you have there Nico, always nice to explore import seeds.

man she is sweet looking. how long did she go in flower?

18 weeks average, outdoors you can harvest at the end of November or early December maximum.

Enjoy the weekend!

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
@ mustafunk: I'm always amazed by the lines you run and reproduce, real gems for sure. Much :respect: for ya

Hey PTG! Good to see ya back on the boards my old friend!

I've been popping some new beans this season... so far I'm growing Swiss Erdbeer from Knospe, Cali-O S1s, Green Gene's Cherry Bomb, DTC99 F2 from Dutch Grown as well as some pakis and X18 crosses we've been playing with.

I will germinate the latest flowering ladies this month. Including a rare Guerreran from Morelos circa 1977 and the infamous 303 F2 from Spice Bros.

Best. :tiphat:

3rd-3yed

Veteran
Impressive as always my friend, especially the guerrero & 303. Did you run any PNG strains before? Keep up the good work !

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
Impressive as always my friend, especially the guerrero & 303. Did you run any PNG strains before? Keep up the good work !

No man never but I'll do soon since I've sourced several of them... I've also gathered some bagseeds during my latest trip to Indonesia. In Lombok island, where the surfers hang out out most weed seems to be imported from West Papua or PNG, as opposed to Bali or Java, where the ganja is normally sourced from Aceh or even Lampung in Sumatra.

Hopefully the upcoming seasons I will test them all play around with them as well if I like the potential and I find a proper match.

So far the pics I've found from the 303 are looking very nice and look very slender, despite the original description from Spice Bros mentioned that it has afghan genes:

The complete breeding back ground of this strain is a bit of mystery but I have been told it consist of what flooded Northern tropical Australia back in the early 70s the all great PNG Gold and various Hawaiian/Fuji strains. Papua New Guinea Gold would most likely be the main contributor to this strain. Some time back it was then crossed with a wide leaf strains as the old timers call it, Indica I presume.They crossed what they already had with this wide leaf variety (indica?) to rise above there competition and this is what they have today. With this indica crossing thirty years back has most likely cut down the flowering time making this super sativa strain possible to grown indoors.

303 is a sweet spicy fruity flavour with a piney-fruity aroma with a very intense high mind-lifting it can bring about heart-racing and even panic for users not used to strong sativas or if overdone, due to its creeping effect can soon have you blown off your feet. Don't make the mistake of whacking a few fast ones down because before you know it your praying it will wear off fast as it can just become to intense for the user. This strain is a super long lasting stone that does not need to be constantly topped up every hour like many it just last and last.

Warning some growers have reported 303 after session affects to leave the mind and body exhausted/burnt out!

Best. :tiphat:

3rd-3yed

Veteran
Interisting infos! Shame that the 303 was crossed with an affie... Hopefully the PNG you bring back from your trip will be pure sat & even better than the 303. Good luck with those seeds.

:tiphat: