What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The DEFINITIVE OG Kush History

JetLife175

Veteran
i converse daily with one of the 3C’s
(and it sure ain’t ghost 1 i talk with)
i am no one but i am an old guy and will aak him a few questions when he returns in two weeks

i only remember them on CW
as being the first i heard to self OGK
and sell them (or attempt to)

i know nothing about these other people and
don’t pretend to
While on CW i was also sent OGK non fem beans ..they breed true always and sure resemble OGK in every way
The person who sent them to me did not know
who made them but i was alao told by one other person that there were non fem seeds of OG
Did those beans happen to come from a guy named Stash or Wick650? I know it was a long time ago but do those names ring a bell?

Reactions: Rgd

Vanilla Phoenix

Super Lurker
ICMag Donor
IMG_0164.gif

acespicoli

we must know more about superknot!!!!!!!:woohoo:
red on the head like dick on a dog... pink hairs everywheres...Richie
Emerald Tirangle Kush aint todays OG its the Original Gangster ask Josh D
The strain name ak47 prob scares yall 🐈
Original post will be updated very soon!

I've spoken with the person who harvested the seeded plants that resulted in the OG and TK seeds being found.

In the middle of doing due diligence and cross verifying some stories and claims to make sure I have it as accurate as possible.

Stay tuned.
I was there in FL in 91-'92 you gonna ask two separate people or one person maybe 3 ?
You talking about Marty ?

Reactions: Rgd

acespicoli

Im not here to debate the stupid and trivial stories most know "to be the truth" about OG Kush. Lets just wipe the slate clean of anything you may think you know and not try to bring up "John from grass valley" or the "old world paki" or anything "Gangster" or "Ocean Grown".

Who am I? Just a guy thats been chasing the clone since the first time I smoked it in the mid/late 90s. I finally sourced it directly from the Josh and crew in 2010 or so when I was randomly introduced to Josh D through a long time mutual friend. By that time I had given up trying to source what I thought and knew to be the one true original plant that started the kush craze. I have followed this plant online trying to source it since the end days of Overgrow, done countless hours of research and have been told stories from Josh directly, listened to multiple online interviews with many involved including ORGNKID and others. I feel i have a really good grasp tracing the dissemination and history of this plant and how it became the titan of cannabis that it truly has.

So without further ado, i start with a direct quote from Josh D himself which can be found on his company website, Josh D Farms.

"Let me start in chronological order starting with the '92 OG:

Alec Anderson was the grower that first popped the seed. From there, it made its way to Matt "Bubba" Berger in Florida in 1992. From there, I was the first to person in LA to begin working with the original varietal. I went on to share it with two friends and they shared with with two friends and so on. Eventually, the flower was then shared with the likes of B-Real from Cypress Hill, Snoop and others who went on to it make it the world famous varietal that it is today.

That was my part in that OG history. The name in Florida at the time was known as "Kush"or Krippy(general term used in Florida to mean good cannabis).

OG for that matter, has nothing to do with ocean grown, overgrown, gangsters or anything else like that.

The OG was added to mean "original". As more and more Kush phenotypes entered the market in Los Angeles, we wanted to distinguish our original kush from the other cuts coming out being called kush. Hence we added the OG so people would (unsuccessfully) understand this was the original varietal cut brought over by Matt and team from Florida."

So it all began in 1992 in southern Florida around the Orlando area, where Alec Anderson bought an ounce of what he says was known as "supernaught" at the time. He also mentions that these buds were known as superknot for only about 6-8 months and was renamed to something else which hasn't been remembered or revealed yet. That ounce that Alec got had some seeds in it, which he popped that fall and one of the phenos became what was known as "Kush" or "The Kush".

By late 1992/early 1993 Alec shared clones of this pheno with Matt "bubba" Berger and crew in the Gainesville, FL area. This is where it receives the name "Kush". Fuji, who was/is a part of the crew had a brother who mentioned that the buds looked like "kushberries" and the name stuck. they dropped the berry and just called it kush. At this time in Gainesville the clone was still tightly held only by this crew and didnt gain too much notoriety due to the legal climate in Florida.

in 1996 Bubba's friend Josh in Los Angeles convinces Bubba to bring the clone out to california and take a crack at the emerging medical cannabis scene. Bubba flies to cali from florida with clones of Kush, Bubba (rumored to be a northern lights selection) and a plant known as KY. At the same time roughly Fuji takes the clone to colorado as well. its rumored to have spawned some popular early colorado kush cuttings as well, but i dont have enough evidence to directly tie it in. if anyone that knows how to use phylos well, can you connect the Josh D cutting in the galaxy to that Coal Creek Kush from CO????

OG kush in 1996, Silverlake CA.
picture.php

First Kush nug ever grown in California
picture.php

The first place these plants were ever grown in California was Silverlake, CA where Josh and Matt built our a small grow under a staircase in their apartment. Things expand quickly and multiple locations are set up and the kush is grown through the Los Angeles and San Fernando area to try and feed the demand.

OG circa 1999
picture.php

This is where things start to get tricky. Josh lets the clone out to two friends, who gave them to two more friends and so on. this spawned some of the early cuts like the Tahoe, Topanga, Soul Assasin, BTY, Nepali, Fire etc. Seeds are found in bags of kush spawning things like Poison and Face Off OG. Some work the plant into a slightly different version such as the Skywalker. Each of these boutique names start to gain popularity and gain their own fan clubs. This is when the original holders start using the OG adjective on their batches basically saying that this was the ORIGINAL kush grown by the ORIGINAL growers and keepers of the cut. The OG label takes on different forms such as the popular variation, the OGers Kush, which is what a very important person in this story receives it as.

OG grown in the San Fernando Valley. 2000.

picture.php

This is where the legendary ORGNKID comes in. Kid comes across a bag of OG/OGers in the medical scene and chases the clones through friends and finally is able to purchase the clone . He ended paying $5,000 and 5 pounds of weed for the clone and decided to make seed and sell it online to make some of his money back. At the time though, the price for pounds of OG are going for 8k-10k depending on the customer in the southern california area. These prices are attributed to the quality of the cut, and the fact that popular rappers like B-Real and Snoop Dogg mention Kush in songs at the time. ORGNKID decides that the clone should be shared with the community and decides to make seeds. The OGers kush was released and is a s1 of the original OG clone. Overgrow member Ghost also purchased a clone directly from ORGNKID and is one of the best representations of OG kush widely available today. Kid also makes the legendary Banana OG crossing OG to a Sagamartha 60/40. The 3c's seed company also releases a OG seedline at this time but with less popularity.

2008 Mullholland Dr grow

picture.php

At this point the seeds spread across the nation and world, creating countless seedlines, hybrids, and one off seedbanks trying to cash in on the hype that was generated around OG kush. This is where quality drastically drops and prices start to fall in line with other top shelf herbs at the time. Wick650 was responsible for proliferating certain OG cuts through the Southern California area. quality drops even more. Now begins the race to source the older cuts previously mentioned to have a "Real OG". It wasnt until Matt berger moved to colorado to work in the legal cannabis industry that this story didnt start coming out.

There are bits and pieces I am missing but i will get added along with photos i need to hunt down online and through my own photos.
Nice timeline rewind it to 1987 and go from there

acespicoli

More pics!!!!

2000. Studio City. First time Josh got OG kush Dialed In. 2 pounds per light at this point.

picture.php

2002 Woodrow Wilson Dr grow.

picture.php

3C’s “Club 33 OG” which is joshs cut renamed now being sold in legal markets across the United States.

picture.php

Josh D finished flower grown by me late 2018
picture.php

One of my earliest OG runs after acquiring the cut. Circa 2011

picture.php
Those look nice frosty leaf how was the stretch ?Pretty lanky?

alvin88

Those pics are so fucking awesome 👌

My favorite part is they all just scream OG. If you've ever grown it, you can spot the plant structure and bud structure instantly. The last time I had what I considered to be a real OG was a cut I got in a warehouse in downtown LA. In 2010. Ran it for a few years and unfortunately lost it. Had some nice cuts since then but NOTHING like the real deal.

Thanks for posting all those pics jetlife...i can smell it from here and my mouth is watering

JetLife175

Veteran
red on the head like dick on a dog... pink hairs everywheres...Richie
Emerald Tirangle Kush aint todays OG its the Original Gangster ask Josh D
The strain name ak47 prob scares yall 🐈

I was there in FL in 91-'92 you gonna ask two separate people or one person maybe 3 ?
You talking about Marty ?
He is a person whom I've communicated with, yes. There are other people yet to confirm a few things. I can only go off of who I know was involved and verify from there, tracing it back. This has taken some time for me to do so please allow the process. The chain of custody has been 100% verified back to Alec, and I am in the process of confirming that it indeed goes further back to the room that Marty had going. With FL going medical and soon Rec im sure people are finally starting to talk.

You're seeing a lot of the big players in the NY haze circle come out now too. It's crazy times to finally be able to line up all these stories we have nerded out over forever.

JetLife175

Veteran
On a side note. I've had what was known as the Ghost Og and recently tried what is known as the Original. Yes, they are similar but the Ghost was stronger and the sample I received was watered down. In fact, the G1PK was better....in the stone department than what is known as the Orignal. Sorta hard to say what's real and what's not.
Once I get a little more growth, I'll most likely use it in a trade to get the G1PK back.
You keep bringing up this G1PK and never have I ran across a cut called that nor care to try one called that. It's literally the name of two known kush cuts put together so it leads me to believe it's something that came later and renamed as if it were something special.

You've literally just come into this thread trying to tell everyone what's what. Shit is retarded man. Read a little and you can learn something.

You literally have the guys that made all this OG kush stuff a thing commenting on how solid the story is and it is true.

If you wanna find out what you have is legit this isn't the way to go about it.

You keep bringing up this G1PK and never have I ran across a cut called that nor care to try one called that. It's literally the name of two known kush cuts put together so it leads me to believe it's something that came later and renamed as if it were something special.

You've literally just come into this thread trying to tell everyone what's what. Shit is retarded man. Read a little and you can learn something.

You literally have the guys that made all this OG kush stuff a thing commenting on how solid the story is and it is true.

If you wanna find out what you have is legit this isn't the way to go about it.
Sorry, you feel that way. I'll delete my post tomorrow. It's apparent you are smarter than anyone else and know more than others. Maybe you should read all your posts and determine if you are the actual person telling everyone what's, what! All do respect, if Im retarded you must be ignorant or simply self-absorbed. Either way have at it.

Last edited:

JetLife175

Veteran
Sorry, you feel that way. I'll delete my post tomorrow. It's apparent you are smarter than anyone else and know more than others. Maybe you should read all your posts and determine if you are the actual person telling everyone what's, what! All do respect, if Im retarded you must be ignorant or simply self-absorbed. Either way have at it.
I just don't seem to believe that there is this cut that no one knows about that all of a sudden is popping out of the woodworks with a random name.

OG kush is pretty documented as to what the early ones were. That's something that cannot be faked.

TresPlantas

In the latest episode of the Pot Cast Marty of Tk origins says he got the seeds on his second trip to Amsterdam. They bought a lot if seeds and got them as a bonus and were told that it‘s kush. Later in the episode he said that in that room were no males but some plants had seeds which then became Og Kush and Triangle Kush.

In episode 62 (22. January 2022) of The Pot Cast Todd Mc Cormick tells a similar story. He says that he got seeds from Sam the Skunkman and that he got Norther Lights #2 and #5
He also says that in his opinion Og Kush is very much like that old Northern Lights #2
He also claims that he has Skunk #1 and Original Haze.

Has anyone here tried his Norther Lights #2 (agseeds)?

10 years ago I grew Og Kush from the Humboldt Seed Organisation and it was nothing like I grew before. But the question that haunts me to this day is: what is actually Og Kush?

I found an episode of the breeders syndicate (ep6 pf S4) „The history of the plant that changed cannabis which I want to listen to next.

I feel like I can‘t figure out where to start looking to find something that comes close to Og Kush (or what people think what it should be)

As for now I think I will go for HSO and hope their stuff is still the same as 10 years ago. And maybe I‘ll give agseeds a try and see if I find anything in Nl#2

After that Breeders syndicate episode I‘m probably even more confused….

JetLife175

Veteran
Todd's role in OG was selling trays of it once he got the cut to medical patients in LA. He is one of the reasons every dispensary had OG on their menu. OG kush does resemble NL2 for the fact they are both kush type plants.

It's suspected from what I am gathering that the mystery part of the genetics does lend to the NL lines but that cannot be confirmed. Some things will have to remain a mystery.

If you really want to try OG in seed form go with archive. He has solid representations. There aren't a lot of people focusing on OG lines and projects these days.

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Did anyone in SFV know a skinny mexican called Oscar? He arrived on our shores early 2000's after knocking a local girl up on holiday, with some magic beans to grow to buy diapers. I remember the first time we had that stuff dried, it was next level potent, even compared to widow or some hard hitters of the day..people would hit a bong and leave the room and later we go look for them and find them passed out next to the loo, stuff like that, we had at least one broken front tooth from a guy hitting a bong and trying to get outside for fresh air and just smashing the door handle with his face..

I'm not sure if the beans were given to oscar, or grabbed..he was full of stories not always seeming too true..His beans though were the real deal. We had the OG on the bottom of africa from mid 2000's at least. These things were aliens.

I still kept a mom of a once stellar cut from that seed for years and years, eventually the only one with her, lost it maybe 4 years ago. The seed was very unique, large seed, with most seed being three sided, and some having four sides. It would struggle to germinate unless one pried it open. Anyway, that cut was always a prima donna, I never saw her growing in her first runs, just the dry flower, but from the time I had her, for almost 15 years I can see now in hindsight it was probably 100% riddled with the viroid. Once in a while in the latter years you'd get your ducks in a row in a grow and she'd show you that old form and resin and pack on those fat buds. I did cross her with a resinous black Deep Chunk male from Tom though, and have lots of seed still stored. Grew some out and it is stellar weed, some girls are almost too uncomfortably strong to smoke. I smoke grams of oil a day and the OG just kicks in another way. Even till I lost her, she till used to bang too hard for most..disease and all. First time I saw weed online that was on par was 5legged goat aka nug whisperer with his decap post yonks back..

Anyway cool to have the stories come out years later from you guys..Figure out what really went down. I was still thinking the Sour had something to do with the lineage, in pictures of the proper old Sour cut grown out cleaned up and all of disease, it bears a striking resemblance to the TK/OG line...in terms of calyx and bud structure, also leaf margins as well resin. The old heirloom skunk influence in the OG bud and calyx structure looks like its there to me. But also the leaf margin shape looks more thai influenced in OG lines than the skunks are, less of the sharp sawblade and more of the rounded serrated shape of the margin that I see in thai lines.

I wonder what effect the viroid had on the yield and quality of the "OG" as it spread around the states from the SFV crew onwards? The seeds that arrived here mid 2000s to my eyes now seem like they already arrived with some crabs, and they were already old seeds and a struggle to germinate so possibly parents infected already early 2000's late 90s when that seed was made? Thats kinda what im now seeing in hindsight, I'd love to hear from the guys that were on the ground back then, who now have some hindsight. I'm growing tested clean plants now, and I can almost say I haven't see plants act or grow like this in almost 20 years, and it is not one variety, its all of them, and I am to my horror realizing that oh yeah back then most weed would grow like this..and I'm thinking what I thought as the modern weed going backwards and downhill with most of the modern stuff compared to the stuff I cut my teeth smoking, is both widespread viroid and inferior genetics/selections but now growing out many heirlooms, s1's of old stuff etc, i am of the opinion that the old stuff was just as stellar as I remember it. We've been testing lots of stuff over the last 2 years, CBD thc etc and viroid and I reckon now in hindsight that everything I've grown since those mid 2000's days has been infected, as well as the breeding standard going to s#it for the major banks, with exceptions of course.

I see the timeline being the same, as the OG started to spread its wings, as everyone spread clones far and wide in general, around the same time of the massive outsourcing of seed production to central locations for seed banks in europe (as far as I know), and the time just after the swiss raids when apparently a lot of the old great parent plants were lost. I think that around or before that time there was opening of early medical and an explosion of cuts being handed around and my guess is the latent disease had already quickly spread to most gardens. The endless seed treadmill of the modern era, everyone always having to germinate new stuff as the quality goes down after a few runs, the OG got so expensive cause "it yielded so low" but did it? Funny that the same was said about cookies, but when I grew the forum cut it made massive colas for me, though unbeknown to me I was just managing the disease well.

So i wonder about Oscars seed, as that was the og through and through..must have been s1 actually too or maybe not but I cannot remember any males. And also I wonder about the viroid, and its interplay with the culture and the strains we've loved over the last few decades. It's been here a long time, I can see that clearly in hindsight. Looking at old pics of mine going back to the 2000's I can see it hiding. Explains wierd grow anomalies I wondered about for years, going back...too long. I can't be the only one. LOL.. What came first viroid, or 8k OG elbows, as yield was already down but quality still good, first stage of low load infection? LOL

I'd love to hear others thoughts on this, who were there back in the day..

Last edited:
I just don't seem to believe that there is this cut that no one knows about that all of a sudden is popping out of the woodworks with a random name.

OG kush is pretty documented as to what the early ones were. That's something that cannot be faked.
I understand your position but let’s not forget, the so called Original also popped out of the woodworks.

Surely it’s documented but that doesn’t make it factual despite certain aspects being true. The brought from Florida by a certain individual is what it is. Yet, I wouldn’t declare other cuts floating around Cali as being all selfed of this one cut. It’s a big world so no need to make it small and isolated around certain circles of individuals. That alone brings everything into questioned….IMO!

I think it’s best for me to just say, I’m wrong and you are right. No, it’s not an attempt at being condescending. To me it’s just the same old drama this cut seems to inspire. Good luck on your quest for accurate information.