What's new

The Dangers of H2O2 in hydroponics (“The Slime” and Root Rot)

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
1ml per 44 gal of clorox sounds pretty dam 'cheap' to me. Cheap in that
1ml costs nothing and 1 ppm has to have minimal impact on quality.

P

painroad

Tests will be done soon to show what happens to your plants when you go past the DO saturation. If you don't have a DO meter you may not understand. There will be plenty of pictures and data.
I will be doing a test with H202 will let you know. Just picked some up today, and will be adding to my res tonight

@painroad- I use 29%or 35% depending on what is in stock at the store.

@Ultra Current- If you are going to use h2o2 to get your plants beyond DO saturation, i'm guessing you'll have a caustic res way before you get any reading that would point at h2o2 as the problem beyond its caustic nature. as far as what I think is diminishing returns on DO, I'll say 19-20% DO. I'm still not sure what you're getting at with this thread yet, but I am paying attention.

tfd

gettogro

Veteran
try using hyox @ 6.5 ml/ gal 35% and 7.8 ml/gal 29%.

the doses you were using were way too low for h202.

nice post though i appreciate the data, but hyox is more then a preventative for slime or rot. it increase d.o. in the res correctly used. which means more nutrient uptake, bigger healthier roots and more robust plants, better germ rates, higher seed and clone survivability, faster rooting times, increased immunity and more sturdier robust plants and foliage. it also acts a bleach to clean rooms and set ups/systems at higher rates.

adding the correct amount of h202 to the res is like adding c02 to the air in a sense, peace, mm

I use 7ml/gallon 29% h202 every 3 or 4 days
And physan 20. 1 ml /10 gallons every rez change

T

TREE KING

I use 7ml/gallon 29% h202 every 3 or 4 days
And physan 20. 1 ml /10 gallons every rez change

me too every 3 days. no physan 20 though. i was using 10 ml a gal for a while but i didnt see the need to keep it that high cause a scientist on another forum recommended people put 6.9 of 29% ml every 3-4 days for a certain ppm for plants to thrive plus it gets expensive so now im doing 7 ml. on the days i put the h202 in plants get a huge boost in growth probably cause of the oxygen it adds and my roots stay white with a steady ph. best plant stimulator ive scene. this is the chart with the application rates i was using at first
http://www.using-hydrogen-peroxide.com/gardening-with-hydrogen-peroxide.html
makes it easier for people to know how much to use

T

TREE KING

What's a "certain ppm" for plants?

ok this is what he says. "For 35% H2O2, 2.7ml in 1 gallon H2O = 250ppm; 5.4ml/gal = 500ppm. " i dont know how to do the math but im guessing 5.4 ml a gal of 35% = 6.9 ml gal of 29% so he recommends 500 ppm. he got his info straight from the Greenhouse & Nursery Sanitation from Colorado State University. heres the link the info is close to the bottom of the page
http://ghex.colostate.edu/presentations/Greenhouse_and_Nursery_Sanitation.pdf

P

painroad

So my rez looks good after adding the 3 ml, however the new growth is kinda pale and my leafs are curling under a bit. I think the brown crap was keeping the ph out of range and it's causing me lockout. I'm gonna flush with plain water and see how they respond.

Or run bennificial tea and they eat the bad pathogems and prevent rot and the dreqded slime lol

LOL, that is a bit of a mythology and potentially bad juju.

The question is aerobic vs. anaerobic micro biology. One thrives in oxygen rich and one in oxygen poor, it is as simple as that. In addition the ones that like the oxygen produce their own h2o2 to further insulate themselves from low oxygen swings caused by increased res temps., or the introduction of a pathogen.

Contrary to popular belief in yet more mythology, h2o2 applied at the accepted safe rates does not kill off the good critters. This I know by using h2o2 at 5ml per gallon in my Actively Aerated Compost Tea Maker with great results.

I've already made the mistake of not realizing that even the most bubbly of compost tea, can contribute enough dormant pathogens to the tank that a temperature rise can give you the worst case of the herpes that you've ever had.

tfd

Scrogerman

Veteran
ask Growth Tech:http://www.growthtechnology.com/liquidoxygen.asp (17.5%)

"A daily addition of Liquid Oxygen to the nutrient tank will invigorate the plant and increase nutrient uptake, leading to faster growth rates. In plants the extra oxygen provided will massively stimulate protein production at the cellular level. This will greatly enhance the photosynthetic process, leading to bushier plants with larger leaves, thicker stems and shorter internodes. Plants will be stronger and leaves will be darker, thus collecting light with greater efficiency and further improving photosynthetic response."

each to their own...

Last edited:

Bassy59

I've only read the first few posts, so understand accordingly, but I wanted to share my experience too.

My dwc which later became RDWC, got slime. But only had slime when water temps were above 68 degrees. I didn't have a chiller originally. Roots looked like shit. Had the beginnings of pythium, etc.

To rid this I completely drained and cleaned each 8g tub and replaced with 5 gals of straight water and 500ml 3% h202 on a 6 hr bath.

Then drained, cleaned again and filled with nutrients a small amount of h202 to kill off anything left over, and Hygrozyme. Hygrozyme helps to turn the dead bad shit (killed by the H202) into non threatening shit.

In the end, I added a chiller and turned into rdwc. I have kept water temps SUB 68 degrees and no more slime since. Some 9 weeks later still no slime and it's nearly harvest time.

I dont use H202 unless there is a problem. I always add Hygrozyme at about 7-8ml gal at each weekly res drain/clean/replenish.

Weekly I get small amounts of slime on the air stones and each week they get cleaned under tap water by hand. I do mean small amounts too. You can barely feel it on the stones.

I can't say this is absolutely true, as it came from someone else, but I was told the bad shit starts to be able to grow in water temps of 68 degrees or higher.

Further proof this may be true however in the following:

I took 8 clones, rooted them fine, and placed them all in 1 tub with 8-10g of nutrient to veg under cfl's in a closet until I can add them to my tent after current harvest. I can not use a chiller for the clones since I can't afford one presently. Thus the veg tub is in another tub surrounded by about 3-4" of water. I place Ice bags and smaller ice jugs in the outer tub 3-4 times daily and untill the roots are fully into the nutrients I have added 1 ice jug inside the dwc tub 3-4 times daily.

My temps swing up and down obviously, and will climb above 68 degrees. Thus weekly there is some slime though not a huge amount found during res changes.

My conclusions, while not scientific by any means, are keep water temps below 68 degrees and you are far less likely to have slime.

Change water weekly and wipe down tubs well. I use isopropyl alcohol on final wipe, it evaps within minutes. Wipe air stone lines with alcohol. The plants will love the 10-20 mins of air bath out of the tubs while you clean, drain, replenish also.

Use H202 as a treatment, not a preventative.

Use Hygrozyme with weekly feedings.

After problems with Pythium and messing around with H202, chilller etc i decided to try bleach.

All i do now is when topping up my rdwc using a 20l bucket of solution i just put a 'dab' of bleach on my finger and add it...lol

Roots now super white and healthy, would never bother with h202 again, perhaps for cleaning.

I have some 15% pool chlorine but not got a clue how much to use ??

How are you guys measuring it in PPM ?

Cheers

U

Ultra Current

After problems with Pythium and messing around with H202, chilller etc i decided to try bleach.

All i do now is when topping up my rdwc using a 20l bucket of solution i just put a 'dab' of bleach on my finger and add it...lol

Roots now super white and healthy, would never bother with h202 again, perhaps for cleaning.

I have some 15% pool chlorine but not got a clue how much to use ??

How are you guys measuring it in PPM ?

Cheers
I've been meaning to finish this thread but there's a lot going on at the moment. I'll get to this soon but I know what you mean. Personally I don't or never will use H2O2 after what I saw when I used it for the first time. Because I don't use it, it will take time to finish these tests for you guys. I have another 3 tests that I'm doing now that is more important than this that'll take me at least 2 weeks to complete but may take a month. Remember though, if you have 22 drops in 1 mL of your dropper, then each drop is 1 PPM in gallon of solution. So you can use one drop of Clorox regular bleach per 2 gallons of solution to give you 0.50 ppm of Chlorine or use 1 mL of Clorox Bleach per 44 Gallons of solution to get the same rate.

I've been meaning to finish this thread but there's a lot going on at the moment. I'll get to this soon but I know what you mean. Personally I don't or never will use H2O2 after what I saw when I used it for the first time. Because I don't use it, it will take time to finish these tests for you guys. I have another 3 tests that I'm doing now that is more important than this that'll take me at least 2 weeks to complete but may take a month. Remember though, if you have 22 drops in 1 mL of your dropper, then each drop is 1 PPM in gallon of solution. So you can use one drop of Clorox regular bleach per 2 gallons of solution to give you 0.50 ppm of Chlorine or use 1 mL of Clorox Bleach per 44 Gallons of solution to get the same rate.

Awesome stuff, BUT what percentage Chlorine is in Clorox. ?

I am in the UK and it is not sold here.....I am sure the Hydro stuff sold by Growth Tech is about 0.5% but not sure ?

Cheers

AbeFroman

I never use H202 and can't imagine it being a bad thing. But I think its effects are to short lived to combat a constant attack. I like adding SM-90 @ 3ml/gallon.