What's new

The Dangers of H2O2 in hydroponics (“The Slime” and Root Rot)

BlindDate

Veteran
Why don't you just use the Physan 20 instead of chlorine? It works much better and lasts far longer.

P

painroad

Nice that you got it figured out. I use chlorine at all times at the rate of 0.5 ppm. Costs me around 1 cent per use. I add back chlorine at least once per week.
I got the liquid stuff for my pool. Will this work? I run through a jug of H202 every few runs, and a penny a day sounds way better to me! How do you get 0.5ppm? Is that per gal?

Snype

Veteran
I got the liquid stuff for my pool. Will this work? I run through a jug of H202 every few runs, and a penny a day sounds way better to me! How do you get 0.5ppm? Is that per gal?
You can use Pool Shock if you know the rates. 0.5 ppm is for however much solution that you have. I stated the rates with Clorox Bleach. For other rates for pool shock you should get yourself a chlorine meter. With Clorox Bleach (Regular) 1 mL will be good for 44 Gallons of solution every 3-5 days for a rate of 0.5 PPM of Chlorine.

growlites

Why don't ya'll run Bennies?????
I use the simple cheap Heisenberg formula and I run a 7 week veg cycle without changing the water once, only do it to change the nute profile for flower. YES THEIR FUCKING HUGE AFTER 7 WEEKS IN A BIG FAST RDWC SYSTEM. Follow is recipe to the T and the follow up add ins and the roots, plants and overall nute intake is phenominal. I would not mislead fellow growers, it's simple and I have never experienced this type of robustness.

blooper

seems the numbers for bleach are wildly different. from all the reading i've done in this thread and on other boards, i've seen it recommended at 1 drop per 2 gallons water all the way up to 2ml per gallon.

i've been dealing with the beginning of root rot and while DM zone seemed to help, it didn't knock it out. i looked into bleach use in hydroponics in general and it seems to be commonly used. a guy was running DWC on his deck with 90+deg res temps and zero rot or slime using .5ml per gallon and others had been using up to 2ml per gallon without negative effect.

any reason not to go up toward 2ml per gallon as a treatment? so far i'm up to .5ml per gallon with no problem.

Snype

Veteran
seems the numbers for bleach are wildly different. from all the reading i've done in this thread and on other boards, i've seen it recommended at 1 drop per 2 gallons water all the way up to 2ml per gallon.

i've been dealing with the beginning of root rot and while DM zone seemed to help, it didn't knock it out. i looked into bleach use in hydroponics in general and it seems to be commonly used. a guy was running DWC on his deck with 90+deg res temps and zero rot or slime using .5ml per gallon and others had been using up to 2ml per gallon without negative effect.

any reason not to go up toward 2ml per gallon as a treatment? so far i'm up to .5ml per gallon with no problem.
The reason why I don't run 2 mL per gallon is because that would be over 40 PPM of Chlorine in your system. It only takes 0.5 PPM to kill the nasty stuff that you're trying to kill and I wouldn't' recommend going over 2.5 PPM CL but you are talking over 40PPM. If I was to put that much bleach in my RDWC system, my plants would die.

teemu shalanie

WeeDGamE StannisBaratheoN
Veteran
don't see whats wrong with the good ol'H202 ....... just the price I guess ?

I almost drink the stuff ,
good luck to all

TS

DONAJTHEIII

h202 is solid.....the reason slime builds up is due to the rez water temp getting to high in an ez cloner.

Also wasnt there a thread already on how to beat this crap. I use brewed teas...bennies kick ass on this shit. I use h202 in my dead rez in veg/ flowering though.

only use teas in my cloner really.

tea= great white, gh alaskan H. , molasses/food for bennies

never seen roots problems in a cloner since

I use h202 29% at 2-3ml a gal in my dead rez what you guys running it at ?

AJAE

blooper

The reason why I don't run 2 mL per gallon is because that would be over 40 PPM of Chlorine in your system. It only takes 0.5 PPM to kill the nasty stuff that you're trying to kill and I wouldn't' recommend going over 2.5 PPM CL but you are talking over 40PPM. If I was to put that much bleach in my RDWC system, my plants would die.

interesting. until i have a meter i guess ill have to go with information already posted and start using Clorox. the bleach i'm using doesn't even list a concentration % so all i know is i put 20ml of 'bleach' into about 35gal nutrient solution. been in the system 3 days no problem. it could be that the bleach is very weak and i got lucky not frying the plants but the roots are definitely looking better and the plants are looking great.

Snype, are you finding that the ppms of chlorine dont hold at lower ph vAlues? For me, as soon as mineral supplements or ph adjusters are added my chlorine drops to zero.

I've been adding chlorine w/o addititvd and letting it circulate for a while before adding nutes or ph adjustment to ensure exposure.

Latest posts

Latest posts