What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Compound...

swapmeet

I have the drip clean and pro-tekt on the way as well as the Basket stakes, tubing and connectors for the drip system...And a couple types of local coco stringy and chunky... and the 2 gal pots too... and 5 stage RO system...

Last edited:

DunHav`nFun

Oh there you go giving DHF and me a big head.
I`m just along for the ride Icky.....You da Rock Star providing product links , start to stop pics and tutorials , all I`m doin over here is sittin on my bucket runnin my mouth....I defer to your experience in runnin shit long after I`ve been shut down and retired....but...I`ll help where I can.....now....

Feed setups and timed sequences per lights on , or possibly having to feed during lights off to prevent drying out with smaller containers ?....especially during mid-late bloomage when they drink and swell accordingly during lights out ?.....Things yet to be determined , but paramount in importance to dial the system and make it hoon…...aight....all things in time will be revealed.....

Holler....DHF....:ying: ……..

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
I`m just along for the ride Icky.....You da Rock Star providing product links , start to stop pics and tutorials , all I`m doin over here is sittin on my bucket runnin my mouth....I defer to your experience in runnin shit long after I`ve been shut down and retired....but...I`ll help where I can.....now....

Feed setups and timed sequences per lights on , or possibly having to feed during lights off to prevent drying out with smaller containers ?....especially during mid-late bloomage when they drink and swell accordingly during lights out ?.....Things yet to be determined , but paramount in importance to dial the system and make it hoon…...aight....all things in time will be revealed.....

Well I diont know dick about that set up. But I do know how to run coco. So I will help with that.

swapmeet

Everything will be revealed with a few runs under the ole belt... I assume it is just a matter of being there to check the coco right as lights are coming on, and if it is completely dry, add a lights out cycle...

Well I diont know dick about that set up. But I do know how to run coco. So I will help with that.

We're in the same boat there....luckily we have Freds, who knows the system inside and out... As he told me... No matter how many runs I have under my belt over my last 20ish years of growing... this is a whole different animal... so this is actually my first grow. It is the truth.. I told him I have no ego, and I am eager to learn and do this thing right from the get go.

So, like I told Freds, if I ask if I can use this or that instead of something, it is not because I am trying to change or tweak your system or anything like that... It is trying to see if I can adapt what I have access to here into your system... If something needs to be exact, like the drip clean, I'll pony up the money to get it here...

let's dial this thing!

DunHav`nFun

Hey Bro.....Everything you ask about as far as if this or that will work is human nature , so I`m cool with anything you brainstorm about cuz it only opens up opportunities for future setups to get better and perform accordingly....and why ?.....cuz there`s many waysta skin a mule.....but....

Venturing into uncharted territories with as many plantlets as you move toward is the X factor where few have gone before , and if you can establish an ongoing clone factory that pumps out rooted cuts as needed to fill and feed the beast on a consistent level , the world will indeed be your oyster...….also...

Remember where you are , and security is paramount for what you`re trying to accomplish for an ongoing project , so take it from an old man who survived in the most illegal state there ever was for growin dope and remember the most famous ancient Chinese proverb.....

He who hid well , Lived well.....My sig says the rest.....Knowledge is power and Adapt or perish.....that said....

My setup can`t be replicated with your situation , so this is your lil red wagon and I`m only hereta help make it hoon…..but...all the tweakin `s on your ass.....:moon: ……Fortune favors the prepared mind...doin your homework before the fact only cuts down the X factors , so Respect for doin what it takes ta get it right if you`re fully ready to jump down the rabbit hole and run 100+/- plantlets per cycle perpetual always turnin over 24/7/365.....and....doin multiples there of.....but....

You being onsite to monitor health and vigor helps so let`s see where this goes , or we can back up and slow things down some and get close to the same results with extra time and staggered plantings to keep cycles and rotations per yr optimal with you adapting to a new environment/location and not get crazy about increased plant numbers and yields until you settle in and get comfortable with doing so.....IOW.....

Only lookin out for your end results with as close to zero failures as possible....

Peace.....DHF....:ying: …….

Last edited:

swapmeet

Hey Bro.....Everything you ask about as far as if this or that will work is human nature , so I`m cool with anything you brainstorm about cuz it only opens up opportunities for future setups to get better and perform accordingly....and why ?.....cuz there`s many waysta skin a mule.....but....

Venturing into uncharted territories with as many plantlets as you move toward is the X factor where few have gone before , and if you can establish an ongoing clone factory that pumps out rooted cuts as needed to fill and feed the beast on a consistent level , the world will indeed be your oyster...….also...

Remember where you are , and security is paramount for what you`re trying to accomplish for an ongoing project , so take it from an old man who survived in the most illegal state there ever was for growin dope and remember the most famous ancient Chinese proverb.....

He who hid well , Lived well.....My sig says the rest.....Knowledge is power and Adapt or perish.....that said....

My setup can`t be replicated with your situation , so this is your lil red wagon and I`m only hereta help make it hoon…..but...all the tweakin `s on your ass.....:moon: ……Fortune favors the prepared mind...doin your homework before the fact only cuts down the X factors , so Respect for doin what it takes ta get it right if you`re fully ready to jump down the rabbit hole and run 100+/- plantlets per cycle perpetual always turnin over 24/7/365.....and....doin multiples there of.....but....

You being onsite to monitor health and vigor helps so let`s see where this goes , or we can back up and slow things down some and get close to the same results with extra time and staggered plantings to keep cycles and rotations per yr optimal with you adapting to a new environment/location and not get crazy about increased plant numbers and yields until you settle in and get comfortable with doing so.....IOW.....

Only lookin out for your end results with as close to zero failures as possible....

Peace.....DHF....:ying: …….

I really appreciate your concern and your looking out for my best interest. Also, your understanding of my situation, which you're the only one who actually knows lol. I do have easy access to maxi grow/bloom too...

That said... I am fully ready to run 100+ little 1oz+ christmas trees each cycle AND stagger each 100 plantlet quad rack by a week or two hoonin 24/7 365.... It is going to take a few runs to build the clone force to fill one 80-100 plantlet quad...after that... the rooted suckers/laterals that are pruned will keep it well stocked. I should have enough lighting and equipment on hand to power 7 quads, so that is around 560-700 plantlets... And my next wave of genetics will be here in a couple days, featuring Chem D, GDP, Big Blue Cheese, Sour D, amongst a few others... My plan is to monocrop the best ones into their own quad... turn em and burn em... I theoretically have room for about 8 quads in the compound, along with mother and veg... and another 4-5 quads in my flower room at home...

I am reading a couple hours or more per day on coco threads here...HGO's thread is teaching me a lot... also pico's drip manifold, and other gems around the site... bottom line... full speed ahead! Let's dial this baby in. It will start slow and build/dial as it goes and as available clone numbers increase.... I know Rome wasn't built in a day. I am not just going to wake up tomorrow and find that the propagation fairy left 100 clones under my pillow lol...it will take time to build this machine and oil it up to produce the numbers we are after... We will tweak it and dial it over that process, so the plant failures will be while numbers are still small, so we can scale it on up with increased odds of success...

Last edited:

swapmeet

Here is a little update of the young mothers this evening, and the chunky husks that are fresh, local...

West Side

East Side

Chunks

DunHav`nFun

Damn Bro....That looks like landscaping mulch instead of shit yas grow dope with.....of course it`s locally sourced and I greatly apologize for never specifying that the chunks I bought were for growing and maybe 1" square and 1/2 that thick with 1 side fuzzy and hairy like the outside of a coconut and the inside was slick and hard like when you scrape the meat out from the inside of it....

Back when I started coco , I researched sourcing pallets of that shit drop shipped to my buddy`s landscaping service due to the numbers I was about to use , and the company I went with was outta Canada with direct import from Sri Lanka where 90% of the grow coco was comin from back then , so both different textures came shipped separate on pallets , but together in each shipment and was fairly cheap with shipping , but the shit wasn`t cheap..... My buddy ordered in the chunky coarse perlite from his distributors.....and...

The main concern is how salty that shit is from the get and or howta get it usable for plant growth , so when I suggested coco for hydro like growth , I failed to realize where you are and how much it costs to get you quality coco shipped without havin to deal with what I did way back when.....

Controlling the medium is paramount in plant performance with coco Bro....We may needta re assess things unless you`re ready to experiment with a new medium.....anyways.....thoughts to ponder.....and....

Peace....DHF....:ying: …...

Last edited:

swapmeet

This stuff is how you described... I think it is just skewed hard because of the super close up or something....When my stringy fiber gets here in a day or two, I'll put together better pictures... There are coconuts everywhere here, and I have connections with local distributors of coconuts, so they will do whatever I need...

swapmeet

Question:

Do you think I can KISS them with maxibloom and cal mag only (or calcium nitrate/mg sulfate) in ro water? That would really simplify my life. Regardless, I can get flora micro/bloom and calmag as well...

DunHav`nFun

Wow Bro.....You got direct access ta that shit huh.....lol....Ok.....Here`s where the rubber meets the road.....Get 1 of those tubs and fill it up with both kinds mixed up and drown the piss out of it.....Let it sit overnight and drain it or suck it out with a shop vac.....Check EC/PPM`s to determine saltiness.....Then.....Once it`s washed enough you`ll need ta charge the medium with Cal/Mag or full nutrient douche.....lol....Let`s see if Icky chimes in on how he does it cuz I know he`s a tight ass....then.....

We haveta determine the air porosity in the mix , so you`ll haveta do the Icky test he showed yas earlier so we`ll know how much smaller stringy fibers we need ta add as a binder to get to as close to 33-35% as possible.....What you`ve got now looks like water will run right thru it and we need retention to keep the substrate constantly moist....no biggie ….just a matter of finding the right mix and exploiting the fuck out of it....now.....

Nutrients......Use what you`re comfortable with , but Cal/Mag`s a must , and Protekt or Silicablast as well , so with increased feedings per day will also come lower EC/PPM`s across the board since the plants are constantly being fed and replenished with oxygenated juice …...I never ran over 750 ppm`s/1.5 EC , but mostly stayed in the 1.2 range with 600 ppms….Trust me …..less is more......and.....

Drip Clean is there for the ultimate insurance policy....but.... you`ll haveta learn the early warning signs of Cal/Mag deficiencies beginning with lil brown spots on the fans showing up as calcium needing a boost , and with mag deficiency comes interveinal chlorosis/ yellowing off between leaf veins , and that will determine how much supplement to use in order to make em hoon and jump.....aight....nuff today.....Gotta go run the dawg and get him back used ta bein at home....cows ain`t gonna like it but oh well....

Peace....DHF.....:ying: …….

Last edited:

swapmeet

Wow Bro.....You got direct access ta that shit huh.....lol....Ok.....Here`s where the rubber meets the road.....Get 1 of those tubs and fill it up with both kinds mixed up and drown the piss out of it.....Let it sit overnight and drain it or suck it out with a shop vac.....Check EC/PPM`s to determine saltiness.....Then.....

Direct access, as in, I run a short term small business loan operation out here and one of my customers is a coconut distributor... She was here making a payment today and said "never buy that again. I will bring you sacks and sacks of it for free...it is just waste to us, and a PITA to get rid of."

We haveta determine the air porosity in the mix , so you`ll haveta do the Icky test he showed yas earlier so we`ll know how much smaller stringy fibers we need ta add as a binder to get to as close to 33-35% as possible.....What you`ve got now looks like water will run right thru it and we need retention to keep the substrate constantly moist....no biggie ….just a matter of finding the right mix and exploiting the fuck out of it....now.....

It absolutely looks like water will run right through it...which hopefully means a bunch of waterings per day... I am through the first hundred or so pages of HGO's thread on coco, and the first 12 or so of Icky's 13wk thread....I am learning a lot and taking notes... It is all about, as you said, developing gnarly roots, and hitting them multiple times per day with feedings... with this kind of porosity, I think the 2g grow bags will probably be best, or do you think 1g for more feedings per day would be best since I am going to be onsite? Regardless, I will conduct Icky's porosity test, and we will go from there.

Nutrients......Use what you`re comfortable with , but Cal/Mag`s a must , and Protekt or Silicablast as well , so with increased feedings per day will also come lower EC/PPM`s across the board since the plants are constantly being fed and replenished with oxygenated juice …...I never ran over 750 ppm`s/1.5 EC , but mostly stayed in the 1.2 range with 600 ppms….Trust me …..less is more......and.....

Drip Clean is there for the ultimate insurance policy....but.... you`ll haveta learn the early warning signs of Cal/Mag deficiencies beginning with lil brown spots on the fans showing up as calcium needing a boost , and with mag deficiency comes interveinal chlorosis/ yellowing off between leaf veins , and that will determine how much supplement to use in order to make em hoon and jump.....aight....nuff today.....Gotta go run the dawg and get him back used ta bein at home....cows ain`t gonna like it but oh well....

Peace....DHF.....:ying: …….

Cal Mag, Drip clean, and Pro-tekt are definitely in the mix for good. I should have specified that I was referring to base nutes. Maxbloom is cheap and readily available around here as is plain Calcium Nitrate and Mg Sulfate dry salts.... but the Botanicare cal mg plus is cheap and available as well... The pro-tekt and drip clean are on the way with the basket stakes... The RO filter is on the way also..... I am thinking of a 55g drum with a float valve to stay full of RO water... Then I can top off the res' in the bloom rooms from that drum I may need to buy separate units for up and down stairs...since veg will be downstairs, as well as a couple quads... and the rest of the bloomage will be upstairs... We can determine that later. Maxbloom, Cal Mag, Drip Clean, and Pro-tekt FTW.

DunHav`nFun

Ain`t but 1 wayta find out what works and that`s ta run that shit.....Get 2 ph and ppm meters to keep tested and calibrated against each other for redundancy since you`ll be ramping up to such increased plant numbers from the get , and God only knows how many you end up with if you get this shit movin forward as a viable setup.....that said.....

Mixing X amounts of maxibloom and cal/mag + is gonna drop PH down in the low 4`s if I hadta guess , and protekt will help raise it some , and I got no clue what Drip Clean does to the mix PH wise, so as stated above....gotta run that shit and see what happens.....I imagine PH up is inevitable as the end result to bring juice into proper parameters for plant consumption......also.....I see Octabubblers in your future since you`re able ta run Drip Clean to cut way down on loopfield manifold drilling/tapping, etc , etc.....

Balls in your court Bro.....make shit happen.....and.....

Peace.....DHF..... :ying: …...

Last edited:

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
I posted earlier how I treat my coco when I get it.

If I were you I would rerun that coco over and over again. It will last a long time.

As for testing the air porosity of the coco that aint my test. I donm know where I seen it but I learned it from someone online some where.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
I get my PH meters on Aliexpress for about $10. Shipping is stupid cheap because the Chinese government subsidises it. And if you get it on Ebay it is the same meter by the same seller just priced higher. Same with Amazon.

DunHav`nFun

I saw Delta 9 do that porosity test with his PPK`s Icky.....maybe that`s where you saw it , but not yeah , Hell yeah I re-used my coco but mine soaked in pond zymes between rotations in Rubbermaid cattle troughs to eat roots and remove salt residue if any.....

Peace....DHF.....:ying: …..

swapmeet

Ain`t but 1 wayta find out what works and that`s ta run that shit.....Get 2 ph and ppm meters to keep tested and calibrated against each other for redundancy since you`ll be ramping up to such increased plant numbers from the get , and God only knows how many you end up with if you get this shit movin forward as a viable setup.....that said.....

No doubt about that...I have multiple meters already, along with big jugs of calibration buffer solution...so I am ready for that..I am thinking of getting a continuous display meter for my res' I have used those in the past with excellent results.

Mixing X amounts of maxibloom and cal/mag + is gonna drop PH down in the low 4`s if I hadta guess , and protekt will help raise it some , and I got no clue what Drip Clean does to the mix PH wise, so as stated above....gotta run that shit and see what happens.....I imagine PH up is inevitable as the end result to bring juice into proper parameters for plant consumption......also.....I see Octabubblers in your future since you`re able ta run Drip Clean to cut way down on loopfield manifold drilling/tapping, etc , etc.....

Balls in your court Bro.....make shit happen.....and.....

Peace.....DHF..... :ying: …...

I have jugs up ph up/down at the ready... so no concern there...I read a thread a little while ago in which flower farmer suggested that max bloom has enough cal/mag in it such that even in RO water, calmag is not needed... Have you guys heard this? Cal mag is on the way regardless...

As for the octabubblers... I think I would rather run PVC, attached to the back of the racks with barbed straight connectors to 1/4" tube, to the basket stakes for simplicity's sake. Yes it is a lot of tapping/drilling....but it is one time... Ockham's Razor.... the octabubblers seem like they would get those racks looking like a Rube Goldberg machine... Perhaps I will run 3/4" PVC to 1/4" tubing, to a tee for each bag and run a basket stake on either side of the bag for a more even wetting of the coco, and build a little wall around the mainstem with perlite or hydroton to keep it from being wet all the time, as you suggested.

We are still back to the size of the bag question...knowing that I will be onsite and am trying to grow plants between 1 and 2 oz with several waterings per day, do you fellas recommend bumping up to 2g grow bags, or will 1g do it for the desired result?

I posted earlier how I treat my coco when I get it.

If I were you I would rerun that coco over and over again. It will last a long time.

As for testing the air porosity of the coco that aint my test. I donm know where I seen it but I learned it from someone online some where.

Yes, thank you. I have read thoroughly and taken notes...your air layering is cool too. talk about monster clones...lol

I get my PH meters on Aliexpress for about $10. Shipping is stupid cheap because the Chinese government subsidises it. And if you get it on Ebay it is the same meter by the same seller just priced higher. Same with Amazon.

Yes, that is where I got mine...$10 plus shipping for $1 lol.... I also bought my light fixtures from Ali... shipping is more of a motherfucker for those, but still cheaper overall than buying local...

Also, Freds, you mentioned earlier in the thread about using some sort of screen/netting to support the colas weight and keep them off the side of the bags...I was thinking... and I'd like both of your advice on this....If I used Icky's PVC screen holders, and make them the width of the racks, I can space them about a foot in front of the racks (or closer, and move them in as needed) and that would likely solve the weight of the colas issue, as well as the crowded corners issue....and make 4 walls of bud a lot more manageable.... what are your thoughts? Does this seem feasible?

Last edited:

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Yes, thank you. I have read thoroughly and taken notes...your air layering is cool too. talk about monster clones...lol
It is ironic sense that thread was to show you could get a decent yield when running fewer plants. I got tired of listening to these guys say that the best yield came from high plant numbers vegged for a short period and then flowered. It upset me to know that new growers with plant number limits were getting sucked into running illegally when they didnt need to.

So I did that thread and showed that if you just left all the clones on one branch and rooted the branch you could still get a good yield.

swapmeet

It is ironic since that thread was to show you could get a decent yield when running fewer plants. I got tired of listening to these guys say that the best yield came from high plant numbers vegged for a short period and then flowered. It upset me to know that new growers with plant number limits were getting sucked into running illegally when they didnt need to.

So I did that thread and showed that if you just left all the clones on one branch and rooted the branch you could still get a good yield.

Haha yeah, you actually mentioned that in the thread...to stay within legal plant numbers...When I ran my collective in SoCal, the rule was 8 plants in flowering per patient... As a collective, you could have 8 plants flowering for each member of the collective... So in order to stay within legal plant numbers to begin with, I gave away a free gram to the first 50 members of my collective, no purchase necessary. Gave away 2 oz in 2 days and boom....448 legal plants.... Inspired by half baked....even named our collective Mr. Nice Guy lol...

Latest posts

Latest posts