What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The classiest coffeeshop in Amsterdam?

S

spiritual uk

I hav`nt read all of this thread so apologies if my `q` has already been answered but i thought the law had been changed & no tourists allowed into the coffee shops to smoke Canna .

that isea is no scrapped,as the city would lose millions in revenue.

my favourite place was coffeeshop t-boat......cats roaming around,on a boat,with food,beer and ganja.it closed down a few years back but was a cool place.they need more floating coffeeshops!

SAMSEED

try toolstraat greenhouse , the dealer was a mate of mine so he let me sit , this one is locals onlys last time i went to this gh in 07 , turnstyle to walk through .

jayd

that isea is no scrapped,as the city would lose millions in revenue.

my favourite place was coffeeshop t-boat......cats roaming around,on a boat,with food,beer and ganja.it closed down a few years back but was a cool place.they need more floating coffeeshops!

was t boat right at the top of the red light not far from where yovagers is? i went on a coffeeshop boat about 20 years ago, but it went a good 15 years ago id say. got told the reason why was because of health and safety as it wasnt connect to the main water and waste supply that coffeeshops on land are.

masamaaso

Veteran
You cant beat the Grasshopper,,

Coffee shop in the lower level, with comfortable seating for singles or groups, cold soft drinks and juices, and the smoke is always top shelf..
next floor up is a lively bar serving for favorite alcoholic beverages.

After a good smoke and a tall Amstel head up to the 3rd floor where you'll find an Argentinian steak house, with a open air grill,,, atmosphere to the max and the finest Beef in the city.

This was the first place I took my wife to dinner when we met..

Last trip there was 07 ,,just before coming here..

hogg

You cant beat the Grasshopper,,

Coffee shop in the lower level, with comfortable seating for singles or groups, cold soft drinks and juices, and the smoke is always top shelf..
next floor up is a lively bar serving for favorite alcoholic beverages.

After a good smoke and a tall Amstel head up to the 3rd floor where you'll find an Argentinian steak house, with a open air grill,,, atmosphere to the max and the finest Beef in the city.

This was the first place I took my wife to dinner when we met..

Last trip there was 07 ,,just before coming here..
I hope this is a joke...Worse Tourist trap in AMS

masamaaso

Veteran
I hope this is a joke...Worse Tourist trap in AMS

Nope,,,not a joke, the thread title was quite clear..
Any that go beyond what the Hopper has to offer are going to be private clubs.
In the 80s when it was still an underground cottage business everyone put on a class act. That level of "class" is long gone except for a few and the hopper is one of them.
Been to every shop in the city ??? no way I can't make that claim,,,but I have been to a good many of them.

out of your list ive been to 4 of them,,and your right ,,,none of them could be considered "classy".
So no joke,,lets hear your pick for what the title says,,,"classy coffee shop" not a list of tourist dives...............

Moppel

Grower for Life
Veteran
In the 80s when it was still an underground cottage business everyone put on a class act. That level of "class" is long gone except for a few and the hopper is one of them.
Been to every shop in the city ??? no way I can't make that claim,,,but I have been to a good many of them.

out of your list ive been to 4 of them,,and your right ,,,none of them could be considered "classy".
So no joke,,lets hear your pick for what the title says,,,"classy coffee shop" not a list of tourist dives...............

Grasshopper classy, yes. Top shelf smoke.....i have to doubt that. Althought havent looked at their menu since 2005 or so.

masamaaso

Veteran
Grasshopper classy, yes. Top shelf smoke.....i have to doubt that. Althought havent looked at their menu since 2005 or so.

Last visit for me was 05 as well,,,just before coming here.
yea the smoke was about the same as most shops in that area, Mid shelf.
I started getting smoke from friends who live south in the early 90s,
it was 89 or 90 when I met them for the first time, and have gotten smoke from them since.
I do like going to shops though but mainly for the hash and most of the time end up back at the flat laughing at myself because I've got a pocket full of lil zip locks.

oronzo

Last years i visited amsterdam for the four times and i try some new cofee a little far from classic tourist zone.

Het balloonnetje: best price and quality, i tried some amazing power plant at 9 e/g.....
Yo-Yo: Maybe the only place that sell organic weed grow outdoor,good athmosphere far from places like grasshopper,smoke very good flavour master kush......
katsu:Great place with best quality genetics especially soma's genetics lavender and sogouda.....
Bushdoctor(rembrandt plein): Not distance from centrum but i'm mention this for three incredible type of ice hash that cost 50e/g one of this that i tried is grandaddy never see a stuff like this......
Old amsterdam: Nice place with dealer very helpfully,good caramello hash and indica strain called "old amsterdam"....
Bye

Cry Tuff

The Grasshopper is so far away from being ' classy ' , that im inclined to presume that you are the archetypal tourist , gullible or that your contention is intended as a joke (albeit, a very old one ).

W

Womble

gotta agree with you there Cry, Grasshopper is a dump, best thing about it is sitting outside on a blazing hot day, smoking herb (obviously not purchased from there either!) and having a few beers.
Barney's Uptown on the Haarlemmerstraat is clean and alright at night when you want to chill, pay exorbitant prices for drinks though...
And you can buy beans from the 'perfectly climatised' seed bank, er behind the bar hanging on the wall...LOL
So many people and shitbags go in and out of these places, it is what it is but, classy just does'nt come into the equation in A'Dam, just blaze and take your leave and enjoy the culture it offers. :biggrin:

Moppel

Grower for Life
Veteran
they spended more than million on the decoration from grasshopper. As said i admit that its a tourist trap, expensive as f...

I

izzywozzywizzy

they spended more than million on the decoration from grasshopper. As said i admit that its a tourist trap, expensive as f...

10 years ago ,I handed a bag o shite back,they refused it back,so I lobbed it at them abd walked out,just a bar wi shit gear,I Like greenhouse shops and de dampjrung ok gear,nice shops.central bar was good with his suutcase full of samples ,im saving up to visit in summer .campsite ,zeeburg I think.nice shops near by ,Eastwoods or the stud,silverhaze 10e a g ,peace

bodymind

Veteran
The only coffeeshop in which i felt at home was Amnesia. It felt more like a local coffeshop than a tourist trap/stoner hangout. I really have a hard time hanging out in any place that is hyped up or has bad taste. Amnesia was homey, tasteful, and unpretentious. Plus, the menu was great.

masamaaso

Veteran
The Grasshopper is so far away from being ' classy ' , that im inclined to presume that you are the archetypal tourist , gullible or that your contention is intended as a joke (albeit, a very old one ).

Nope still not joking.. The Hopper is one class act...
:dueling:
And the bakery on the corner across the street makes the tastiest croissants in town, or is that getting to touristy...
Wheres my wooden shoes and windmill statues. :laughing:
Sorry Moppel,,,couldnt resist........
I did buy a piece of 18th century pottery in Delft a few years back.

It seems the hoppers one of those places people love to hate, it is a little more upscale than most young smokers or smokers like yourself can handle and theres plenty of places that will cater to your style of needs, with a few resident girls on the "job" and some junkie bitch trying to sell you some crack, but you'll find none of that at the Hopper, so no,,,not joking.
Whats your pik ???

Attachments

• Grasshopper2.jpg
    Grasshopper2.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 32

Cry Tuff

Difficult to reply to the above without heavy sarcasm and disbelief but i shall endeavor, nevertheless.
Without getting into the variants that constitute the term ' classy' and the obvious factor of this differing with each individual , lets take, what i believe most people would use as their discerning yardstick.
Quality of product and its price. Efficient and courteous service. General atmosphere and vibe. In my only experience of venturing into the ...er 'Hopper', some years ago to meet a group of acquaintances unfamiliar with the city, i found it to fail miserably on all three points and deserving of its woeful reputation. They even employ bouncers, for fucks sake.
For the sake of not highlighting your ignorance further, ill ignore your bizarre remarks regarding ' resident girls ' and 'junkie bitches ' , other than to ask if youve ever bothered to walk out of the Centrum ? I mean, here's the man making the claim that he's found the ' tastiest croissants in town ', not a stones throw from his ' class act' coffeeshop . You couldn't make it up !
Anyway, glad its your kind of place.

masamaaso

Veteran
Difficult to reply to the above without heavy sarcasm and disbelief but i shall endeavor, nevertheless.
Without getting into the variants that constitute the term ' classy' and the obvious factor of this differing with each individual , lets take, what i believe most people would use as their discerning yardstick.
Quality of product and its price. Efficient and courteous service. General atmosphere and vibe. In my only experience of venturing into the ...er 'Hopper', some years ago to meet a group of acquaintances unfamiliar with the city, i found it to fail miserably on all three points and deserving of its woeful reputation. They even employ bouncers, for fucks sake.
For the sake of not highlighting your ignorance further, ill ignore your bizarre remarks regarding ' resident girls ' and 'junkie bitches ' , other than to ask if youve ever bothered to walk out of the Centrum ? I mean, here's the man making the claim that he's found the ' tastiest croissants in town ', not a stones throw from his ' class act' coffeeshop . You couldn't make it up !
Anyway, glad its your kind of place.

Yea ya got me man,,,, I have to admit I've never walked out of the Centrum...
I usually take a taxi...

Just for the hell of it ,,,,lemme ask ya something,,,are we even talking about the same place >>> big building,3 storys,,lots of windows and lights,steak house on the top floor,,or are you stuck on that lil place they started at with the glass enclosed front and chairs outside ??
Just askin is all...

Latest posts

Latest posts