What's new

The classiest coffeeshop in Amsterdam?

clorox

Smokin on that serious...
barneys uptown on haarlemerstaat, which right across from the regular barneys is VERY upscale, they serve alcohol though, so you have to bring your own nugs (pop eyes, pink floyd, barneys, and few others are within a block)

skillz

if my hazey memory serves.. i found amnesia to be the classiest i visited.. if i remember correctly they have nice plush leather bench/couches, pretty well lit and a nice bar...

daddy fingaz

Amnesia is a nice shop Skillz, nice smoke too!

The new Greenhouse on Haarlemerstraat looks very nice, koi pond under the floor, over there in May so think il pop in and take a look!!

M

magicbuds

Barneys Breakfast Bar for a nice weed ans is a nice place I had the G13 Haze
And Damkring was most the classy and the John Sinclair was really nice too.

etncrew

last time i was in the dam was in 2003 but its about time i visit my cousins.

when i was there i enjoyed the dampkring for its awesome smoke, liked the grey area for the same reason. omellette i had at barneys breakfast bar was awesome, too bad for the loud yank males....uhhh what else do i remember, greenhouse was nice,

classiest would be the grasshoper imo, although there smoke and service and atmosphere kidna suck

Capt. Crip

Strain Seeker/Mirage Reading Master
Veteran
For classy shops you have to go to the new greenhouse as was mentioned above...
The main part of the shop is what you see in the ads but if you go up or downstairs it will blow you away!!!Upstairs is a gentlemens club type setup with polished wood and the whole setup...Downstairs is all the hand painted tiles of 1600 dutch maritime scenes...Unbelieveable!!!!!!Favorite little spot I have seen in the Dam...Just plain out doing what ever it takes to make that shop a reality...Can't say enough...Very cool place...Wi-fi...Friendly staff although rarely the same person twice...Also this way at other places....

Also like sensi for great staff and an excellent place to hang out for a bit...
Katsu is also quite friendly in their staff...All of these places are cool with you bringing your own as long as you purchase a coffee/tea/drink...Which is needed anywayzzz..

etncrew

I wish the new greenhouse was open in 03 when I last visited...

The only places I didn't enjoy were the more touristy type places, although I was living with my cousin on kloveniersburgwal, so I got to experience a bit more of the dutch scene.....last time I was in Holland before that I was just 13, visiting oma and opa...i hadn't yet come to enjoy the sweet sweet herb.

planning another trip for 09 thoug

G

Arjan set up a beautiful new C Shop.. No doubt..... Great place to hang out.

For ganja, Grey Area of course.

G

icysurfer said:
Arjan set up a beautiful new C Shop.. No doubt..... Great place to hang out.

For ganja, Grey Area of course.

yes gh utd great new toking spot ,,barney's uptown nice 4 toking and a beer ,,,lots of people unhappy with grey area weed i heard

ojd

CONNOISSEUR GENETICS
Vendor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yeah as much as i dont like the weed there arjan has done a lovely job with this coffeshop,nice 1
very swanky
a pleasure to toke in and some of the best staff and service like capt said
grey area, yeah tell me about it hazy

grey area have drop the torch this run

but greenplace has happily taken over

greenplace had the best chocolope for sale
nice place definately a new regular hangout for me

also amnesia seems to have up the game a litle with 2 nice strains
pink kush and top dawg(dawg won the cup last year)i prefered the pink kush but the dawg was nice also
peace

Last edited:
G

Things can change...... do tell, Hazy....!

Last year, I noticed that the quality at GA was a bit lower than I was used to, but I suspected that was because of their "growers" speading themselves too thin, and perhaps getting complacent.

Yes, the new GH is beautiful. Very impressive. Really helped out the street, which used to be a no reason to go place, except for Barno's....

More like a nightclub, the new GreenHouse is. It is also a proprietary pleasure to see Arjan around, he should be proud.

The more entertaining nature of the shops is a nice turn of events, over the last couple decades.... I personally noticed it first at Abraxas, years ago, but that is just the point of view of an oft-visitor. Not a resident. Yet.

In the old-days,many c'shops were, dank, unlit, and boring places, with the ubiquitous Bob Marley over the small speakers.. Peopled by creepy unemployed semi-losers, and grumpy BudTenders. Of course, now the music is usually sappy Amerikan Hip Hop/Pop Music.... But the shops are more eye-candylike, for the most part. And a lot more pleasurable to hang out (and spend hard earned-Euros) in.

Pinball is a great idea, but it is noisy.

Hey Ojd, I haven't been in AMS since the Nov. '07 'fesivities...' Where is Greenplace...?
Sounds nice. I am going to come put in the summer, or at least Nov., again. If they had Chocolope, that says something....

Amnesia is a class joint, usually, depending on the crowd.... Cannot beat the "canna-neighborhood." DJ Four-Way (Mig) is a gracious host, especially once you get to know him, and they usually can be counted on to have something wonderful.

Capt. Crip

Strain Seeker/Mirage Reading Master
Veteran
Icy,
As you walk by High Quality seed in the RLD you keep going and the next block is the Sensi cafe,,,well just keep going straight 1 more block and turn left...About 2 blocks down on the left,right at the end of the little canal...
You will see the ice cream shop and then the sandwich shop and then Green Place..
4 or 5 seats outside with 2 small tables...
Can't miss it...Easy coming from Dam Square as mentioned above....
Take care.....................................CC

accessndx

♫All I want to do is zoom-a-zoom-zoom-zoom..
Veteran
Barney's: plural. You'll have to go across the street from the "upscale" Barney's to obtain nugs. There you'll see the regular crew of Eurostoners and tourists. The bud-tender(s) are really nice and informed. The nugs were great, but the hash is better.

THEN: go across the street to the upscale restaurant Barney's that serves it's famous breakfast. They have great everything else there too. You can get alcohol, dessert...whatever. And they're certainly friendly to smoke. You just won't be pulling out a vaporizer or bong as you would at the other Barney's location.....you'll be limited to a "J" or a pipe that you bring.

Overall: I'd go back there in a second. Of course there were many more locations than I could hit in one trip...and I'm always eager to hear about other spots.

By the way: never.....ever....take the advice of the "local" cabbies.....unless they are young and in the know. Don't ever have some 40-50 something cabbie suggest a coffeeshop. It was my first night in the 'dam....we were eager to get out and see the area...but I had spent a very long time at the pollinator with the proprietor. By the time we got out it was very dark...so we hit a cab not knowing the region. Mila suggested we goto Dampkring...or Tweed Kamer.....since they are owned by the same person(s). When I gave the address to the cabbie he asked me "why do you want to goto those places?"...."that's where tourists go...and everything is very expensive". "Take my advice, you want to go where the locals go...".

How could I reject an offer like that. Instead of listening to a local legend and activist...I listen to the cabbie who seems hellbent on taking us to this "inner sanctum" to check out the locals...

Low and behold he drops us off at this dive called "TRINITY". We walk in and within seconds you can see it's a hole...

The bud-tender was a bitchy...eurotrashy...snob that pretended to be too good to work in the place. The ventilation was non-existant. The choices on the menu were sparse (unless you love bubblegum...). What would you like.....the Bubblegum or the Bubblegum? The "refreshments" were overpriced "looza" small drinks....or water. They wouldn't even let us make a call from the place for another cab....so we staggered around in the dark looking for something familiar. Not having a good understanding of the public transport routes yet....certainly not knowing the streets...and it was a bit of a sketchy area for tourists with money.
Eventually we flagged down a cab and went back to the hotel for the evening.

We quickly rectified our first night's horror by hitting the coffeeshops I knew would be outstanding the next day.

If that's what the "locals" like....they can keep it. However, I doubt that the statements of the cabbie were in fact true...he had conceded that "he didn't smoke" but he was constantly bringing people to that location. I bet that he had some kind of arrangement with that coffeeshop because he told us that if we mentioned him, they'd take care of us. That being said, we didn't remember his name 2 minutes outside of the cab....we didn't mention his name.....but I highly doubt the service, and quality would have been altered that much.

By the way....in retrospect: alot of good places are accessible with a short walk from the #5 or #7 public trams. Won't take you into the heart of the red light district...but if you want to hit places on the periphery it will do fine.

Tweed Kamer was great but small.......unless you're there early, you're probably walking in to get nugs and walk right out again.....hit the pastry shop right next door...they are the ones that help make the spacecakes for Tweed. (one down side to the spaces cakes is that they aren't really strong...so disregardless of what the bud-tender says and warns you about them....you can eat more than 1 or 2...)
The pastry shop next door has all kinds of other stuff that's insane to eat when you're all munchied out.

burning_red

eyes that shine...
ICMag Donor
icysurfer said:
Pinball is a great idea, but it is noisy.

Who has pinball??
I was last in 'Dam a year ago but it was quick stay.Only visited Amnesia(my favourite,their caramello was delicious with matching milkshakes)Dampkring,Blubird,the church(king hassan royal cream was tasty)

no pinball anywhere tho;.I love playing pinball especially when lit

G

burning_red said:
Who has pinball??
I was last in 'Dam a year ago but it was quick stay.Only visited Amnesia(my favourite,their caramello was delicious with matching milkshakes)Dampkring,Blubird,the church(king hassan royal cream was tasty)

no pinball anywhere tho;.I love playing pinball especially when lit

too many to remember but i reckon theres 50 at least ,,doors .funny people,coffeshop36,other place,,katsu, ricks ...... :rasta:

daddy fingaz

Just come back from Dam this week.

Have to say the new Greenhouse was very classy lookin, as was Barneys uptown although not technically a coffeshop, Barneys lounge near Rembrantsplein was very nice aswell and right by our apartment, was actually reasonably impressed with the buds from both, although not quite to the level of Grey area and Amnesia, which was undergoing a refit so will be interestin to see what that ends up like!!

I think the new dampkring (pinkfloyd) will be nice when thats finished aswell judging by the other new shops on the street!!

Hazerl

go to barney's lounge (no cs but you can smoke there) or twede kammer, I think that are the classiest places to chill out in adam... :joint:

Latest posts

Latest posts