What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Book Thread - What You're Reading & Everything Book Related

Well, if this is going to be a book club proper first we need to agree that we are a book club, then we need to all collaborate on a book(s) to read... I know books take time but I'm not thinking about that... I myself have nothing but time to read a nice book seeing as life in America is rapidly changing and my job has walked the path of the dinosaurs...

I've nothing but time these days and I plan on using it for leisure instead of toil... so far I'm getting toil, but that's OK too... I guess. :rasta:

kish

hey spaceghost22, hope things are starting to go better for ya..

So how do we go about picking a book to read? a poll maybe?
Im excited for this...should we all nominate a book and then pick one?
Can we make this a proper club/group over in the "User-Created Social Groups" area?
I think it would be nice to alternate between the classics and new lit..all just suggestions..
Looking forward to this!!!

hey spaceghost22, hope things are starting to go better for ya..

So how do we go about picking a book to read? a poll maybe?
Im excited for this...should we all nominate a book and then pick one?
Can we make this a proper club/group over in the "User-Created Social Groups" area?
I think it would be nice to alternate between the classics and new lit..all just suggestions..
Looking forward to this!!!

Thanks kish. Well, we (the readers who wish to read) will all vote I guess. At the time this group was concieved there was not "User-Created Social Groups" area, so we'll have to ask a Mod to move it for us as this seems proper.

I would personally love to start with a semi or new classic titled 1984 by George Orwell seeing as I have never read this and many others have. I think this would lead to a wonderful discussion afterward (my secretly desired outcome of the book club!). But it's up to you as the seemingly only motivated member of the club. Do you agree or no? If so we'll have to ensure that all other who wish to read along have access to the book (please PM if you have any questions about this) :rasta:

kish

I'd read 1984 again..although, i must say, i've read it a couple of times already.
Another Utopian society type book i'd suggest is Aldous Huxley's 'Brave New World'. (read that one a couple of times already too)

As far as the social group goes, its not really a section that this thread would be moved to..
but more of a new entity that easily displays the groups members, and allows for pics and posts.
Similar to a thread but more suited for groups like this IMO..

Okay, here are my book selections in no specific order:

Gonzo (because i've never read an H.S. Thompson book)
The Dharma Bums - Jack Kerouac (who don't like Jack?)
Anthem - Ayn Rand (don't know much about this one..but it's on my shelf)
When You Are Engulfed in Flames - David Sedaris (shorts from a great author)
Snuff - Chuck Palahniuk (okay, this one sounds a little risk ay but another great author)

H

Hazeseeker

Just about to start Senior Nice by Howard Marks, really enjoyed reading his previous release - Mr Nice, thought it was a great read, can't wait to start this 1:joint:

peace

Ok, I say The Dharma Bums - Jack Kerouac, I've read Junky and a couple other books by the beat crowd... you'll have to forgive me if my memory fails me... It has been a few joints since I've read any of "those" books... I'm up for another, that's for sure!

johnipedestran

1%
Veteran
wow, I am not really into clubs per se, because I cannot really be counted on.

but, I just met the author of a great book. This guy is 91 years old and survived Buchenwald. the title of his book is From Buchenwald to Carnegie Hall. his name is Marian Filar.

peace
jip

Linenoise

I read a ton of books. Up until a couple years ago I read almost exclusivly nonfiction, usually history. I never finished High School so I missed out on a lot of the classics. At the moment I am reading The Grapes of Wrath and it is deserving of it's consideration as one of the greatest American novels.

I read Brave New World about a year ago and can say that is a good starter book for a club. It is very short and has tons of potential for discussion groups. Kurt Vonnegut is fun to read, but then I am a serious cynic so it caters to my natural disposition. Plus he is heavy on social commentary so that's always fun.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
by Robert M. Pirsig

70s philosophy, a 'must read' imo.......

Last edited:
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
by Robert M. Pirsig

70s philosophy, a 'must read' imo.......

Stoner4Life, that was a very nice read. I agree, a 'must read'. I read that one during a tour in jail, it was very therapeutic. :joint:

Linenoise and johnipedestran, thank you for your interest in the book club, welcome! :rasta:

Kish, thank you for the link, that will be of service to us. I'll read it over shortly, it really looks good. :smile: Thank you!

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
bump.----getting ready for a trip to the bookstore w my girl. need some new suggestions-whos reading what?

G

Greyskull

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry into Values , by Robert Pirsig

great book... read it multiple times.

G

Greyskull

Anatomy of a Street Fight by Paul Vunak is really filled with good stuff, too.

O

ocean99

What books are you motherfuckers reading?

What books are you motherfuckers reading?

You guys probably thought I was illiterate cause how much I curse, huh?

Right now I'm about to smoke a stoagey and read some SPACE WOLF. MMMM been awhile since I cracked open an SF novel. Last couple books I read were Cat's Cradle (again), Brave New World (again), Fight Club did not live up to the hype, and Valnir's Bane which was fucking epic.

I know there's at least one other bookworm on here...

Latest posts

Latest posts