What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Book Thread - What You're Reading & Everything Book Related

NOKUY

Veteran
im reading the 58th installment of the novel "Igot a girls number, but Im afraid to call her" by yummybud

it's currently only being published on line thru the fine folks at icmag.

it's one of those reads that make ya wanna go blow your brains out.

Lucky 7

I am reading The Lost City of Z.

It's an arm chair adventure about the Amazon, the obsession of one Percy Fawcett, the golden city of Eldorado, and a lost bong . . . sry, had to throw that in . . .

K

ka0tik_kreati0n

I 'was' reading son of a witch by gregory maguire, but it really bored me, so I stopped reading it. I have a few on deck that I want to read, but I'd rather be on the computer than reading as of late

The Uncola

"The Carbon Age- How Life's Core Element Has Become Civilization's Greatest Threat"

This is a new one written in 2008. It starts off with great explanation of how life got a foot hold on Earth, with some revised details that I was not aware of. Sure I knew that Cyanobacteria pumped oxygen into the atmosphere and made the way for the Cambrian Explosion. There are new details about how tectonic plates largely controlled the carbon cycle for the first few billion years.

I wasn't aware that not long- (in a Deep Time sense), before the Cambrian, The earth's greenhouse effect was nearly shut down and the planet froze in what they call "The Snowball Earth". The oceans froze 500 meters thick even in the tropics! It was almost enough to sterilize the planet. Increased volcanic activity is thought to have created a new greenhouse effect that raised the temps and brought life back from the brink. The book explains that animal life that arose during the Cambrian served to change the carbon cycle and prevent another deep freeze like those that were occurring every 100 million years.

It then goes on to detail the horrors of global warming rapidly changing the planet. (I'm not done yet!)

elfstone

The Majjima Nikaya "Middle Length Discourses of the Buddha" from Wisdom Publications. Also the Samyutta Nikaya (Connected Discourses of the Buudha) and the Avatamsaka Suttra (Flower Ornament Sutra). Ongoing reads I have been perusing for the past 10 years....

RandyMarsh

Books

Books

Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book

I'm sure many of you share my interest in reading, namely reading while smoking some of our mutual friend. So I started this thread so we can all share exactly what it is we are reading, and what you make of it.

I'm currently on a hiatus from reading The Beach by Alex Garland (I took it camping... and I'm pretty sure it's still out there... sitting on the beach oddly enough...) so until I can grab another copy from the Library I'm reading The Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens. I've read a lot of his work but never this one. But I heard it has great comedy, something I'm always interested in, so I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

Green Kween

at the moment i'm getting ahead for my classes in the fall and reading a medieval europe history, but before that i read Ishmael by Daniel Quinn, very eye opening....

O

ocean99

It's weird, I have periods in my life where I can't fucking stop reading. Some years I'll read 100+ books in a year, and then this year I haven't been able to keep on it for a few pages.

Last time I started reading hardcore it started with Warhammer Gotrek & Felix and ended with Brave New World, with 90 + books in between. I need to stop watching TV, that shit sucks the reading motivation right out of me.

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I love to read, and I read for entertainment not for my head, cant get into anything too heavy, life is tough, I want to be able to escape and relax when I read.
Koontz, King, Patterson are some of my favs..
I just finished the Twilight and started the second one!! ...owow what a great book!..I didnt think I would like it but it got me on the second page! read it in 3 days and cant wait to see how it all ends!

RandyMarsh

I need to stop watching TV, that shit sucks the reading motivation right out of me.

I agree. Having the option to just flick on a tv and watch really takes from the desire to crack open a book. I get most of my reading done when I'm in a place where I cant just turn on a tv. Not that I hate tv. I love my daily dose of nat geo/discovery. But I do enjoy reading books more, even though it often gets the shaft when there's a tv in the room.

Found another copy of the Beach yesterday and finished it this morning. I definitely recommend this one to any mellow fellow icmaggers that don't read too often. It reads insanely fast and is very entertaining (more than half the characters smoke the sweet leaf). Even if you've seen the movie, it's worth the read.

Back on to reading Pickwick Papers now.

CANNACO-OP

Farmassist
Veteran
Modoc: The True Story of the Greatest Elephant That Ever Lived

Ralph Helfer author

eglider

The Princes of Ireland by Edward Rutherford . A massive 2 volume history of Ireland with fictional characters woven into events, much like James Michener. From prehistoric to the last century he shows the evolution of a number of families and their rise and fall of fortunes and positions due to the prevelent politics and religions of the times. A few characters will get tiresome but no worry, they change.
A rip snorting read if youre the patient type. When youre done you will finally understand why some of my kinsmen are as magnificent and goofy as they are.

Catharsis

I agree. Having the option to just flick on a tv and watch really takes from the desire to crack open a book. I get most of my reading done when I'm in a place where I cant just turn on a tv.

A few years ago I decided to cancel my cable television and keep the TVs for occasional movies or video games. I have read so much more since then and I love it. :)

qwerty

ocean---I got halfway thru Brave New World and couldn't get in to it. I started 1984 and I'm almost finished with that one. 1984 is good.

Mrs Babba my wife loves the Twilight series.

Latest posts

Latest posts