What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Terpp Extractors Saying Hello!

Sir D

Hey guys I thought those quick connects were a no no? Are these ones the bees knees? Are they grey wolf approved?

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey guys I thought those quick connects were a no no? Are these ones the bees knees? Are they grey wolf approved?

Graywolf approves no quick disconnect, because I've never seen one that didn't eventually leak.

Every factory I ever installed, hissed during shutdowns when things were quiet and every hydraulic quick disconnect I ever used, weeped and left oil on its storage surface.

I still haven't, but I retired and quit keeping intimate track of the latest and greatest innovations in manufacturing engineering over a decade ago, so am not the voice from the mount on anything.

I do agree that if there were one, it would sure be handy in some applications?

If I were to use one, I would treat like it was a leak waiting to happen, and isolate it with a ball valve when possible, so as to limit how much it can leak.

In a properly ventilated environment for extracting with a CLS, the amount of leakage is not likely to be a safety issue, and is a perfect example of what I speak of when I say go wrong, go wrong, go wrong. Something that normally works very well, for some reason doesn't, as immutable time wears on.

I second that I have have never seen quick connects that did not leak sooner than I wished. We used a lot of them over the years and found you needed to replace or rebuild them often - within months. Air and vacuum was the only thing we would use them for.

Sir D

I thought that's what the general consensus of what I've read was. At the end of the day why have one more issue that could go wrong go wrong go wrong?... I've got enough of those as it is. Thanks guys

snake11

Graywolf approves no quick disconnect, because I've never seen one that didn't eventually leak.

Every factory I ever installed, hissed during shutdowns when things were quiet and every hydraulic quick disconnect I ever used, weeped and left oil on its storage surface.

I still haven't, but I retired and quit keeping intimate track of the latest and greatest innovations in manufacturing engineering over a decade ago, so am not the voice from the mount on anything.

I do agree that if there were one, it would sure be handy in some applications?

If I were to use one, I would treat like it was a leak waiting to happen, and isolate it with a ball valve when possible, so as to limit how much it can leak.

In a properly ventilated environment for extracting with a CLS, the amount of leakage is not likely to be a safety issue, and is a perfect example of what I speak of when I say go wrong, go wrong, go wrong. Something that normally works very well, for some reason doesn't, as immutable time wears on.

I agree 100%. Every quick disconnect I have used has leaked. Quick disconnects normally reduce the flow as well causing other problems. Swagelok does have a full full flow disconnect with a double seal layer. I have not tried these so I can't comment to if they leak or not.

Last edited:
loving my mk3

loving my mk3

I have had my mk3 for just over a month now we just went thru the training class to use I have had wonderful experience dealing with these folks and the just picked up a/I ovens

Is the only real difference between the DIY MK3 and the already assembled MK3, exactly that, it hasn't been assembled? Meaning that they are also all screwed in TEFTAPED valves and stuff?

loving my mk3

loving my mk3

I bought the mk3 diy I choose the 900 gram upgrade and picked up the 450 gram and the 220 gram ... and while I was at the factory for training I picked up another 900 gram tube with cones and clamps ... these folk are friendly and the customer support has been outstanding considering all the newb questions I have been asking lol

justintime420

thank you terpp! just got our shatter platter and sight glass for our mkiv one thing to note on this particular sight glass we had some sharp edges and even a strand of sharp steel that was poking out of the sight glass. Might be the only one in the bunch but just to let you know to keep an eye out. there are no issues on the sight glasses attached to the spool and was expecting that same quality with the sight glass.

MEMED

Wrong thread Nssknight. You should do some research before you hurt yourself or even worse someone else. Poking around asking really simple questions and not learning the whole deal is super dangerous. Please listen brotha, we care not to be your path to destruction, more so we aim to be the wind through your sails. Study up and post some substance instead of leaching.

If nothing else, please respect the forum and attempt to stay on topic. This is terpp saying hello thread, not nssknight saying tell me what works for you cus its gotta work for me thread.

Last edited:

Nssknight

Guess u got nothing better to do , but to put ur 2 cents in! If u know so much why don't you just point me to that info.

Last edited by a moderator: