What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Terp Trommel!

Breakover

Winterizing seems to be a necessity also. I'd like to try some more predistillation cleanup methods. Activated charcoal, bleeched earth, etc.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
how are folks using the fractions that are not THC?
do they smell good or bad?

are you smoking them?

A good question regarding the fokels, so I forwarded it to Pharmer Joe and will pass on his reply.

From my own experience, I can tell you that the monoterpene fraction smells terrible, and I've personally only vaporized the middle fraction.

Pharmer Joe provides both molecular still equipment, and fraction distillation services, but doesn't market any cannabis product.

He returns all of the fractions to his clients, for their disposition, and in some cases is limited by ND contracts, so won't share, but I understand that there is a market/use for both.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Joe reports that his clients use the last "black" fraction for topicals and pitch the first monoterpene fraction, which he discribes as smelling like "ass."

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes, I believe the full technical term is 'fish ass'

Duly noted. Probably close, depending on the fishes diet and state of decomposition!

Good point that there has to be a market for anything smelling that bad without containing sulfur compounds like mercaptans. Maybe to someone who could further fractionate it.....

If nothing else, it makes a good people repellent and is a reminder that a concentrated mixture of just too, too much of good thangs, isn't necessarily a good thing when it comes to aroma and flavor.

Twisted pleasur

Veteran
So basically your cleaning BHO on a molecular level. The purest way. Your not able to create a more tasty product correct Grey? Or at least nothing more tasty then a good winterized BHO?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So basically your cleaning BHO on a molecular level. The purest way. Your not able to create a more tasty product correct Grey? Or at least nothing more tasty then a good winterized BHO?

Cannabis essential oils are a mixture of molecules ranging from around C-10 through about C-31. The C-10 through C-15 are the monoterpenes and sesquiterpenes, which contain 99% of the aromatics and much of the taste.

The Cannabinoids are based on the diterpene at C-21 or 22 if in carboxylic acid form.

The C-30 (~C-29/31) molecules include plant waxes, chlorophyll, anthrocyanin plant pigments, and flavonoids. Not a lot of aroma at C-30, but still some flavor.

What a Kugelrohr or a Molecular Still does, is separate the constituents into groups by their molecular weight.

Usually the C-10 monoterpene fraction stinks so bad its thrown away, the second diterpene fraction is harvested, and the last C-30 fraction is used for things like topicals.

The diterpene fraction with the cannabinoids in it, have little odor or flavor orally or when vaporized, but a phenolic taste when burned, because they are phenolic terpenoids.

I haven't tasted or tested the third or "black" fraction to see what the flavonoids are, but Joe may have, so I'll ask.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
One key point to consider, is that short path or molecular distillation doesn't turn industrial toxins into mothers milk.

It's a good process to upgrade lower grades of oil by removing dilutants, but some pollutants can have similar molecular weights and carry over.

One key point to consider, is that short path or molecular distillation doesn't turn industrial toxins into mothers milk.

It's a good process to upgrade lower grades of oil by removing dilutants, but some pollutants can have similar molecular weights and carry over.

So if the oil is extracted properly to begin with ........... what's the point? Bragging rights?

Old Gold

So if the oil is extracted properly to begin with ........... what's the point? Bragging rights?

Exact dosing for medical purposes....also food product infusion with no flavor alteration.
Or simply for reintroduction of terpenes at will (must be quite nice to find that sweet spot of flavor)

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

A different, more concentrated product? So far we've only used it on grade B oil.

Twisted pleasur

Veteran
You could Take the B clean it and add it to your A and have a better product with more final yield. I know its just a thought. And Im sure the added expense of the Trommel would pay for its self.

Gray have you found the final product to work well or maybe better to stay in suspension in VG for vape pens any more so then any other BHO?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You could Take the B clean it and add it to your A and have a better product with more final yield. I know its just a thought. And Im sure the added expense of the Trommel would pay for its self.

Gray have you found the final product to work well or maybe better to stay in suspension in VG for vape pens any more so then any other BHO?

Unwinterized BHO has constituents that don't dissolve in VG. It has to first be winterized first or it will leave globs of undissolved residue floating in your solution.

We also winterize feed stock before running it in the Kugelrohr or Trommel.

They separate out the highly soluble C-10 mono and C-15 sesquiterpenes from the soluble C-21 & 22 diterpenoid cannabinoids, and the least soluble C-30 triterpenoids, plant pigment, chlorophyll, remaining plant waxes, fats, lipids, and flavonoids.

The Clear center cut is absent the shorter and longer chain molecules, so ostensibly you can get a higher concentrate of cannabinoids dissolved in VG using Clear concentrate, than raw essential oil oleoresin Absolutes.

As they are free of the third fraction, or what remains in the feed stock after the first and second cuts are removed, they are also less prone to leave globs of evil spirits suspended in the VG, PG, or PEG.

I don't make carts, but the local folks I know who do, are in love with clear.

Breakover

I've read that the clear guys use MCT oil and a little flavoring in their carts. They're damn tasty.no vg, pg, or peg.

I guess the MCT oil won't vaporize in a typical ecig o-pen tank.

Breakover

I'm pretty sure inhaling that type of oil is super dangerous. Something about causing pneumonia. Anybody want to chime in?

I've definitely read that. Lipid pneumonia. There was a theory that plant waxes were causing it as well.

http://clearconcentrate.com/clear-carts.html

Read the description there near the bottom. I'm betting the vaporization point of MCT oil is beyond what a typical ecig can deliver. Wouldn't dab it, that's for sure.

I think the listed potency of those carts is like 60% or so. There should be a lot of something nonclear leftover, if it's not being vaped up. Anybody know if there is a lot of residue left behind in a finished cart? I'm guessing no.

Breakover

I think the listed potency of those carts is like 60% or so. There should be a lot of something nonclear leftover, if it's not being vaped up. Anybody know if there is a lot of residue left behind in a finished cart? I'm guessing no.

SWIM made some with a little 90%+ distillate and a gleaned recipe of MCT oil and flavoring. 10% MCT and 15% flavor. Tested out about 67%.

I guess the real confirmatory test would be to run straight or mixed MCT oil through a short path or wiped film at similar (or higher) temps and pressures that are used to make proper sauce.

Anyone wanna give it a whack?

SWIM made some with a little 90%+ distillate and a gleaned recipe of MCT oil and flavoring. 10% MCT and 15% flavor. Tested out about 67%.

I guess the real confirmatory test would be to run straight or mixed MCT oil through a short path or wiped film at similar (or higher) temps and pressures that are used to make proper sauce.

Anyone wanna give it a whack?

MCT vapes fine in those carts. Bhang uses it and at quite high ratios. I've used it as well. No noticeable difference from PG/VG.