What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Terp Trommel!

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey guys, I'm just checking in here to see how the Pope operators are doing. Anything new with you guys?

After a couple delays, I just received my ethanol extraction system and am beginning to produce crude oil. Soon it will finally be time to fire up the still. I have done a preliminary test of cold vs warm and it seems if the extraction is done at cold enough temps (-30C), there are no appreciable lipids dropping out of solution and I may be able to forgo the winterization step. Hopefully it works out and I can go right from the ethanol extraction system to the roto and then up to the still.

I'm also curious if anyone out there is using the feed pump system for their Pope. I have one on mine and am interested in any feedback you may have. I talked to Dean about it a couple months ago and I left the conversation not feeling very clear about how the system is supposed to be primed before use. I always thought gear pumps were self-priming. I will call him back, but in the mean time does anyone here know anything about that?

Also, I have the electric heat bands as the heating source for the evaporator core and seeing as the only temperature input to the controller is a single thermocouple under the lowest heat band, I'm expecting uneven heating right out of the gate. I was surprised they don't use a separate thermocouple and PID for each band (there are 6). Has anyone had issues with the heat bands?

Any other feedback would be appreciated.

Use PID controllers with built in power regulation, < $70 each. Ask your distillation equipment suppliers why they aren't up to speed with these.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=8095799&highlight=auberins#post8095799

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=8152185&postcount=263

Rickys bong

Veteran
I'm sure the evaporator isn't heating evenly. A fluid jacket evaporator would be ideal, and I know pope does make one.

I replaced the single controller with controllers for each heat band on our 2in and 6in units. There's considerable difference between the bands otherwise.

RB