What's new

Team Microbe's Living Soil Laboratory - Round 2!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Former Guest

Haha yeah man, I've lost count of my cups so many times and would have a serious problem on my hands because I was too high or something. Tonight I actually fucked up big time, and misjudged the volume of my outdoor mix while calculating the weight of each amendment to add. I added 3x as much as I needed because I thought I had 100 gallons, I only had 33 gallons so I just added another 67 gallons of equal parts peat/rice hulls/compost. Problem is, the 67 gallons I just added are a completely different NPK compared to the recycled mix I sent in and got tested. So now I've gotta pay for another test, and adjust it again before being confident enough to use it.

To my defense.... I was baking a birthday cake for my sister and forgot to wear gloves while straining the canna oil out of the cheese cloth. 25 minutes later - COMPLETELY GONE BRO. It was so strong for some reason, and lasted for a long ass time. Through her entire party actually, and afterwards as well. That's when I mixed the recycled soil mix and fucked everything up :wallbash: LMAO
The first time I made brownies, people told me they were too strong and made them throw up. I ate four brownies and didn't really feel anything.

Mixing compressed peat in small batches sucks. I love the tarp and mixing it that way. Seems like I don't end up with extra peat and a ton of compost. The peat is so fluffy!

You need a fat or gravy seperater
10.1236.28.00.jpg

d.74-7119.jpg

KONY

Veteran
These threads have inspired me to get off the bottles. Although we use Earth juice in flower, it's still bottled and guanos.

Our medium is 3:1:1 Ratio of Promix/ewc/size 3 perlite.

The worm castings are high quality and amazing; this medium and nutes has been working very well for the last few years, however I hate perlite and we never recycle the soil inside, it all goes outside to veggy gardens and the perlite makes it require mulching just to hide it, even if there are no veggies being planted yet.

For next round i'm gonna do promix/ewc/rice hulls.
Then the round after that i'm getting kelp meal, alfalfa, Neem or Karanja, Lobster compost and Rock dust. I want to buy the 40-50lb bags of the ingredients if possible. I know if I dont somehow end up liking watering only, I can use them in the outdoor veggies.

Had an eco 5 air pump sitting around from brewing OG biowar and earth juice before, however It wasnt getting much use recently so I got the pvc parts and 5/8" airline to make a proper airlift.

Team Microbe

Veteran
The first time I made brownies, people told me they were too strong and made them throw up. I ate four brownies and didn't really feel anything.

Mixing compressed peat in small batches sucks. I love the tarp and mixing it that way. Seems like I don't end up with extra peat and a ton of compost. The peat is so fluffy!

You need a fat or gravy seperater View Image

View Image

Yes!! Perfect, I just ordered one off of Amazon :dance013:

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
These threads have inspired me to get off the bottles. Although we use Earth juice in flower, it's still bottled and guanos.

Our medium is 3:1:1 Ratio of Promix/ewc/size 3 perlite.

The worm castings are high quality and amazing; this medium and nutes has been working very well for the last few years, however I hate perlite and we never recycle the soil inside, it all goes outside to veggy gardens and the perlite makes it require mulching just to hide it, even if there are no veggies being planted yet.

For next round i'm gonna do promix/ewc/rice hulls.
Then the round after that i'm getting kelp meal, alfalfa, Neem or Karanja, Lobster compost and Rock dust. I want to buy the 40-50lb bags of the ingredients if possible. I know if I dont somehow end up liking watering only, I can use them in the outdoor veggies.

Had an eco 5 air pump sitting around from brewing OG biowar and earth juice before, however It wasnt getting much use recently so I got the pvc parts and 5/8" airline to make a proper airlift.

im trying the water only this year. i think when flowering starts i will just top dress it nicely with some EWC and see how it turns out.

1 Part Worm Power

1 Part Sphagnum Peat Moss

2/3 Part Pumice

1/3 Part Rice Hulls

Acadian Kelp Meal @ 1/2 Cup per cubic foot

Neem Cake and Karanja Cake 50/50 Mix @ 1/2 cup per cubic foot

Crustacean Meal @ 1/2 cup per cubic foot

Gypsum Dust @ 1 Cup Per Cubic Foot

Brix Blend Basalt @ 1 Cup Per Cubic Foot

Glacial Rock Dust @ 1 Cup Per Cubic Foot

Oyster Flour @ 1 Cup Per Cubic Foot

grower stak

To my defense.... I was baking a birthday cake for my sister and forgot to wear gloves while straining the canna oil out of the cheese cloth. 25 minutes later - COMPLETELY GONE BRO. It was so strong for some reason, and lasted for a long ass time. Through her entire party actually, and afterwards as well. That's when I mixed the recycled soil mix and fucked everything up
I like to let a potato ricer do the work. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZFY6UC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I still use cheescloth but instead of squeezing by hand I put the bud/butter wrapped in cloth inside the ricer.

w4tch

I'm looking forward to seeing this thread!

Are you using the Coast of Maine Lobster over the Worm Power now? Or are you just testing it out? Sorry if I missed it somewhere.

Glad to see everything is going swell!

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
you might think about mulch next...

hey seafour i just now seen this..what would u suggest as much for a beginner? can i use local leaf litter on the forest floor from like maple and oak tree leaves? i also have stuff that grows here that looks like straw..when i go to my spot i will take a pic of it and see if that would be ok to mulch with

GHGrower

Update teaser pic. 12 hours into brewing AACT using worm power EWC, molasses and acadian kelp meal. All of those dots are wiggling and zooming microbes, in contrast with my first microscope shot.

5nPUa3S.jpg

The English Cut

hey seafour i just now seen this..what would u suggest as much for a beginner? can i use local leaf litter on the forest floor from like maple and oak tree leaves? i also have stuff that grows here that looks like straw..when i go to my spot i will take a pic of it and see if that would be ok to mulch with

Hey, I'd say that using whatever is there already is better for 2 reasons - less stuff to haul in and also good camoflage for your grow.

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
i was thinking the same and less money =) thanks EC..my Rotten panda is doing fine and is 5 days old today..looking forward for some skunky stuff

Former Guest

I found huge piles of worm shit, cocoons, and predator mites :D under my mulch! When you make a dead mulch you use 10:1 carbon to nitrogen. The microbes need that balance or it steals N from your soil. Easy way to do this is just to estimate using the same way you get the 1:1:1 peat humus aeration. I even have volunteer starts coming up from the leaf litter :)

picture.php

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
I found huge piles of worm shit, cocoons, and predator mites :D under my mulch! When you make a dead mulch you use 10:1 carbon to nitrogen. The microbes need that balance or it steals N from your soil. Easy way to do this is just to estimate using the same way you get the 1:1:1 peat humus aeration. I even have volunteer starts coming up from the leaf litter :)

View Image

thats a beautiful site there LLB..i put 20 seeds to germ and only 2 hasnt popped so not bad germ rate first time using these jiffy pellets..i think i will keep using those from here on out bc it comes with a mini greenhouse which helps germination imo..

Former Guest

I haven't heard many good things about the pucks. I use soil in a seedling celled tray with no dome. Pucks probably need one because they might dry out quicker :dunno:

I fill the tray with ffof halved with recycled dirt and some man sized handfuls of compost and extra perlite. Then I premoisten the dirt watching for plugs that don't drain well. I usually stick my finger in and move the dirt around some more cause they get dry pockets. I don't know why but that has happened to me in my experience. I've tried coco fox farms light warrior but my seedling using the coco had calcium issues bad. The next round I used the ffof and they're the best ones yet.

Team Microbe

Veteran

View Image

I never knew that! How do you measure the 10:1 ratio? Is it by weight or volume? You're making me want to prepare a mulch for the 25 gallon pots I'm building this week... :dance013:

Former Guest

I would take your bales and break off a square, and use that as a part. Measure 10 parts straw it a carbon source, then break of one equal square of alfalfa or grass clippings. Leaves also work as a carbon source along with coco chips.

2014-03-05-04.jpg

Here's a good read about it. Short too!

There are also other links on the right side that are pretty good to. I should add if you're interested in making compost, there's a section on that and uses the same C:N ratio.
http://whatcom.wsu.edu/ag/compost/fundamentals/needs_carbon_nitrogen.htm

skinnyflake.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.