What's new

Tea critisism please??

SONNN

So i would like to list my recipe and see what constructive critisism I can get. So I am going off basic knowledge, nothing scientific and it sounded like a good recipe. It has not hurt any of my plants at all, but I have only fed to one strain so far. Here ya go:

In a 5 gal bucket:

-2.5 gal water
-2tsp Mexican bat guano
-2tsp peruvian bat guano
-2tsp seabird guano
-1/2cup comfrey meal
-1/2 cup alfalfa
-2tsp blackstrap molasses

I have an air pump for a 60 gallon aquarium hooked up to 2 air stones, both 6". The water is from the tap set out at least 24hrs and PH balanced to about 6.0-6.2

I "brew" for about 2 days, strain through cheesecloth. Mix 2.5 gals of tea to 2.5 gals clean water, and feed. The only strain i used it on was Blueberry Funk, a sativa dominant hybrid. It turned out absolutely amazing. The issue though is I have not grown that strain without the tea, so..... ya haha.

So, what do you guys think about the tea? Should I consider adding more ingredients? Apprciate the help!

SONNN:dance013:

SONNN

Here is a few pics of what this tea helped make.

Attachments

• DSCN1955.jpg
    DSCN1955.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCN1956.jpg
    DSCN1956.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCN1957.jpg
    DSCN1957.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 12
J

jerry111165

I personally don't mix plant based teas - ie: comfrey & alfalfa with guanos so can't comment on that part. I also don't add molasses unless I'm trying to feed microbes in an ACT. It seems you might be trying to combine the two?

Don't get me wrong - no negative criticism intended. I would ask first - what exactly are you trying to gain from a tea with these mixed ingredients? I'm guessing general nutrition?

Btw - pretty flowers!

SONNN

Ya basically a good organic general fertilizer is what Im going for. Im going off of what Ive been reading in books and such, trying to combine them in a sense.

I would like to grow with all organics eventually so Im trying to make a well rounded fert that I can use throughout veg and flower, in a sense like the Lucas formula. Actually my regimen is one feeding Lucas, one feeding tea, then water, and repeat. It has worked out great, Im just looking to fill the holes so to speak.

Neo 420

Veteran
So.....you are feeding your ladies Lucas (GH) and then supplementing with a nute AACT?

SONNN

Basically I am trying to make a good tea so I never have to use anything but teas n such. I be in the learning phase and dont exactly like growing subpar dank so the Lucas is kinda a crutch while I make my way into the organics full time.

Scrappy4

Veteran
SONNN, the tea portion of your feeding program is probably not doing what you think it is. Most of the ingredients are not 100% soluble, no biggy except they need to be broken down by soil microbes to be effective. And your other feed if it is a chemical based fertilizer, it bypasses the whole microbe thing and since it's soluble it is taken up directly by the plants. I see this as 2+2=2. If it works and your happy, don't let my critisms stand in your way, have at it. But for me I would decide on a way and stick to it. Either way at least your reading and learning that in of itself is pretty cool in my book......scrappy

SONNN

Thanks Scrappy. Thats what I am looking for, critisism from the experienced. I see exactly what you mean.

But, aside form the other stuff I use, how does the tea hold up? You think it would be sufficient as a stand alone nute?

Scrappy4

Veteran
Thanks Scrappy. Thats what I am looking for, critisism from the experienced. I see exactly what you mean.

But, aside form the other stuff I use, how does the tea hold up? You think it would be sufficient as a stand alone nute?

The rock stars in your line up are the alfalfa and the comfrey. The main reason why is because they have more to offer. And that offering works fast. Between those two they have hundreds of other beneficial compounds that guano does not have. It's not that guano is bad it's that the others are better, kelp meal is another favorite of mine. I don't know if it is helpful to add all your stuff at once either, one at a time works well for me. And like Jerry said molasses is for feeding microbes, so I would save it for a compost type tea, rather than a fertilizer type tea.

Make sense? Scrappy

SONNN

Absolutely makes sense.

I think where I was going is that guano is almost a compost in itself isnt it? In my head it makes sense that the microbes in guano or in compost can be excited with molasses and such the same way. I do understand aerating compost kills the bad microbes or prevents them, while helping the good ones which is why i have the pumps. So i figured what the hell, why wouldnt a few diff guanos with the NPK and the good stuff from plants go well together almost like a compost and also as a tea?

It works like that Arnold Palmer tea/lemonade drink, they are completely different but oh man its so good, hahaha. (thats a joke)

I havent read every thread/post on the tea subject nor have I seen one where someone uses synthetics and organics at the same time so why not experiment right?

SONNN

Scrappy4

Veteran
One of the things about guano is that they are fossilized bat turds. Fossils take a long time to break down. I am using up my own guano supplies by using it in my compost heaps. In my mind I still get any possible benefits it might have, and by the time I'm using it in a grow, it's ready to help. When mine is gone though I'm not replacing it, like I said there are better alternatives. But if you have it and like it don't toss it, use it somehow. If you stay with organics, you can reuse the soil, so that's something to consider, I don't think I would add it two grows in a row with the same soil, it takes something like four months to break down.....scrappy

Neo 420

Veteran
One of the things about guano is that they are fossilized bat turds. Fossils take a long time to break down. I am using up my own guano supplies by using it in my compost heaps. In my mind I still get any possible benefits it might have, and by the time I'm using it in a grow, it's ready to help. When mine is gone though I'm not replacing it, like I said there are better alternatives. But if you have it and like it don't toss it, use it somehow. If you stay with organics, you can reuse the soil, so that's something to consider, I don't think I would add it two grows in a row with the same soil, it takes something like four months to break down.....scrappy

Spot on but I would like to note you shouldn't resuse the soil you are currently using because of the chemi's you have added. If you would like to reuse your soil, start and stay with organics only.

T

Toes.

So i would like to list my recipe and see what constructive critisism I can get. So I am going off basic knowledge, nothing scientific and it sounded like a good recipe. It has not hurt any of my plants at all, but I have only fed to one strain so far. Here ya go:

In a 5 gal bucket:

-2.5 gal water
-2tsp Mexican bat guano
-2tsp peruvian bat guano
-2tsp seabird guano
-1/2cup comfrey meal
-1/2 cup alfalfa
-2tsp blackstrap molasses

I have an air pump for a 60 gallon aquarium hooked up to 2 air stones, both 6". The water is from the tap set out at least 24hrs and PH balanced to about 6.0-6.2

I "brew" for about 2 days, strain through cheesecloth. Mix 2.5 gals of tea to 2.5 gals clean water, and feed. The only strain i used it on was Blueberry Funk, a sativa dominant hybrid. It turned out absolutely amazing. The issue though is I have not grown that strain without the tea, so..... ya haha.

So, what do you guys think about the tea? Should I consider adding more ingredients? Apprciate the help!

SONN, is the "Peruvian bat" guano a typo?

"Peruvian seabird" guano from Sunleaves is 12-11-2, the Mexican is 10-1-1, Alfalfa is approx. 3-1-2... all together = a Nitrogen rich nutrient tea. my sativa leaner would claw up bad if I used this tea throughout the entire cycle.

Bat and Seabird guano both have beneficial micro-organisms. Humus-like Mexican bat guano contains more Calcium, Magnesium, Bacteria, Actinomycetes and Fungi than fresh bat poo (http://redalyc.uaemex.mx/redalyc/pdf/939/93960208.pdf)

However, you might get some flax around here for using guano, because...

Some critics say that the harvesting of bat guano from caves has certain detrimental effects. The process, which is also called mining, disturbs the bats' habitat and can cause them to panic, which can result in the bats dropping their young, not eating or not getting enough rest. It has been blamed for bat populations decreasing in areas where guano is harvested. Removing bat feces from the caves also affects other animal species that rely on the droppings for nutrients.

SONNN

Sorry about that, Peruvian Seabird, Jamaican and Mexi bat Guanos.

From all the stuff I have read you cant really overdose on the guanos/teas, I have also never had anything but perfect leaves on my babies, I take VERY good care of them. No curling, no burning, no nothing.

O

OrganicOzarks

You are making a Leachate, and not a tea. You are basically extracting nutrients from the material you are putting into the liquid.

You have no compost, or worm casting in this to make it a tea. Alaska humus works very well also.

The small amounts of guano that you are using is not doing that much.

Without giving away trade secrets I can say that you can use over a cup per 5 gallon brew if you would like.

From what I am seeing with tests, and also reading the guano becomes more soluble from the brewing process, and then the microbes can do the rest.

However you do not have any microbes in your leachate.

I would add compost of some sort(a cup or so would do), and you should be going in a better direction.

Kelp meal in tea does not work like seaweed extract. You need to be using seaweed extract, and some fish if you feel so inclined.

I will say that from the tests I have done that alfalfa meal makes for more bacteria in my brews.

Honestly since you are not introducing microbes to your grow the chemical ferts have nothing to kill.

However there is no way in hell I would ever touch herb grown with chemical fert's.

People think I am a snob when I will not smoke their herb. As long as they can prove how it was grown I am all in. Usually it just can't be done because people are full of shit.

Glad to see you headed in the right direction. Admitting you have a problem(growing with chemicals) is the first step.:)

SONNN

Thank you Mr Ozark, thats exactly what I was looking for.

So you are recommending (besides no chemicals) is going with seaweed extract instead of seabird guano? Or you saying to ADD the extract?

On the alfalfa meal, are these good or bad bacteria?

I have compost, Ive had a worm bin for about 6 months now and it looks great. Just need to get the worms out and use it. They sure do love cucumbers and bananas!

I want to use organics ONLY very soon, thats why I started this thread, so I can find the holes in my reasoning and areas where i can improve.

You are making a Leachate, and not a tea. You are basically extracting nutrients from the material you are putting into the liquid.

You have no compost, or worm casting in this to make it a tea. Alaska humus works very well also.

The small amounts of guano that you are using is not doing that much.

Without giving away trade secrets I can say that you can use over a cup per 5 gallon brew if you would like.

From what I am seeing with tests, and also reading the guano becomes more soluble from the brewing process, and then the microbes can do the rest.

However you do not have any microbes in your leachate.

I would add compost of some sort(a cup or so would do), and you should be going in a better direction.

Kelp meal in tea does not work like seaweed extract. You need to be using seaweed extract, and some fish if you feel so inclined.

I will say that from the tests I have done that alfalfa meal makes for more bacteria in my brews.

Honestly since you are not introducing microbes to your grow the chemical ferts have nothing to kill.

However there is no way in hell I would ever touch herb grown with chemical fert's.

People think I am a snob when I will not smoke their herb. As long as they can prove how it was grown I am all in. Usually it just can't be done because people are full of shit.

Glad to see you headed in the right direction. Admitting you have a problem(growing with chemicals) is the first step.:)

O

OrganicOzarks

Switch out the kelp meal for seaweed extract. Not the liquid seaweed, but a granular extract. It is cheaper, and who wants to pay to ship water weight?

Now as far as good or bad bacteria from the alfalfa meal that is a good question. I don't personally know anyone who can distinguish.

That being said if you are using quality compost, and multiplying the bacteria in the compost we can only guess that they are good bacteria.

If your tea is properly aerated then you will have aerobic bacteria where as people think of negative bacteria as anaerobic bacteria which lives in a no to low oxygen environment.

Just because something contains anaerobic bacteria does not mean that is is bad. Most organic liquid nutes contain them. Offset with aerobic bacteria from a properly brewed tea, and the anaerobes are not that big of a deal.

I will be testing a new line of liquid nutes I have been working on, and they are anaerobic.

If they were aerobic they would spoil, and smell like shit. Possibly also exploding the bottle.

Now I did leave out that you can have aerobic bacteria suspended in a dormant state through making a compost extract. Their shelf life is longer than most would think.

I looked at some through the scope that were 3-4 months old, and they were still chalked full of good critters.

The problem being that most quality compost extract machines will run you 15k-20k

Luckily I know someone with said machine. :)

SONNN I am going to throw you a bone.

Things for your tea rated at 2.5 gallons brewed for 24 to 36 hours. A longer brew can give you more protozoa, but less bacteria. So you really need a microscope to see where the sweet spot is, but 24 hours is a good start.

.50-1oz molasses
a pinch of seaweed extract
1-2 teaspoons of fish hydrolysate(only use hydrolysate I have tested others and they do not work)Neptunes harvest is a good name brand
1-2 cups composted material(depending on how well your brewer works you may need more or less material)

You can then test different amounts of guano's, alfalfa meal, and things like that. However until you get a basic brew down I would not fuck with adding other things.

I hope this gets you going a little better. I forgot to add that the amount of air used is very important while brewing. If you are doing a 2.5 gallon brew then a standard walmart air pump will work. However if you go up to 5 gallons you will need to buy something else that has more power. Probably something in the range of 6-8 watts whereas walmart pumps are 3 watts.

The best part of all of this is that you can break free from the corporations that sell you on some bullshit to grow with. I always prefer that everyone do their own thing form the ground up, but for some it is just not possible.

The irony is that I will be one of those corporations. I have a full line of soil, tea kits, and liquid nutes that will be dropping in 2013.:)

Latest posts

Latest posts