I want to contribute to this great thread :tiphat:

Ohaze SCROG.
One selected female in a 3 gallon pot
Perl/Verm 50/50
Drain to waste, GH 3 part
8 tubes running in a 12 tube BadBoy T5.
Harvested at 100 days.
This pic is day 56.

I pulled over a pound of bud with this single plant.
:dance013:

And you're still grinning from ear to ear......:woohoo:

Proper scrog. GREAT result.

And didn't need a 100 gallon pot to get a # from a plant. :laughing:

:tiphat:

Raho

Veteran
And you're still grinning from ear to ear......
Proper scrog. GREAT result.
And didn't need a 100 gallon pot to get a # from a plant.

Thanks Legal :tiphat:

Here's what it looks like now (77 days.)

• 12 tube BadBoy T5
  • 9 plants (selected from seed) in 1 gallon pots (coco/perl 50/50)
  • drain to waste drip system, GH 3 part
  • 7 diff strains
  • frameless net to discipline the unruly girls.
picture.php

View image in gallery

S

spiritual uk

found this to be of interest on a reef website-

T5's have what is known as a cold spot where the temperature determines the gas pressure inside the lamp. Some, but not all of the lamps have a dedicated cold spot which is at the label end. On other lamps regulating the temperature at either end will give you top performance but it is good practice to just cool the label end of all lamps to remove any doubt. Using a fan on the center section of the lamp will quickly over cool the lamp which actually will hurt performance more than not cooling at all in the case of the normally driven T5's. T5 VHO systems which are T5’s ran on Ice Cap ballasts to overdrive the lamps must be cooled. Not doing so will lead to early lamp failure which is typically a crack at the reflector clip. The Same rule applies to cooling HO or VHO T5’s, don't cool the center of the lamps

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I found that constant fan caused leafs to dry and curl, so my fan is on a 15 minute timer. It runs 15/30. It is somewhat powerful, so I keep it about 3ft away from the bulbs. I am not using a enclosed tent

2 Legal Co

Veteran
PF; You must have a very large fan there. I run/ran, a 14" oscillating floor standing fan, the RH was about 30-35% in the room. We'll have to watch it, but didn't suffer any noticeable 'dry out', yet.

That was however in the winter and the temps were mostly in the mid 70s,,, nights in the low 60s. During the heat of the day I'd see low 80s, sometimes. During the night I use a small 4" fan in conjunction with an 8" 'inline duct booster' fan, which was when the 'booth' was closed up..... the duct fan was noisier, so I shut it down during the day.

Once again, the most noticeable improvement was tilting the light a couple of inches, so the heat would flow from under the light. Made a 5*F difference in my temperatures, below the light.

I felt this was important as the tips are within 2-3"s of the tubes.

Your mileage may of course, vary.

ZZTops

Veteran
I want to contribute to this great thread :tiphat:

Ohaze SCROG.
One selected female in a 3 gallon pot
Perl/Verm 50/50
Drain to waste, GH 3 part
8 tubes running in a 12 tube BadBoy T5.
Harvested at 100 days.
This pic is day 56.

I pulled over a pound of bud with this single plant.
:dance013:

Welcome Raho and Thanks for Sharing...:tiphat:

Pulling 1 gram + per Watt is very doable with the T5's, before it was all talk and now we have the proof in this thread as your the third to pull the numbers...

Enjoy your Fruits of Labor and a High 5 on 420...

ZZTops

Veteran
found this to be of interest on a reef website-

T5's have what is known as a cold spot where the temperature determines the gas pressure inside the lamp. Some, but not all of the lamps have a dedicated cold spot which is at the label end. On other lamps regulating the temperature at either end will give you top performance but it is good practice to just cool the label end of all lamps to remove any doubt. Using a fan on the center section of the lamp will quickly over cool the lamp which actually will hurt performance more than not cooling at all in the case of the normally driven T5's. T5 VHO systems which are T5’s ran on Ice Cap ballasts to overdrive the lamps must be cooled. Not doing so will lead to early lamp failure which is typically a crack at the reflector clip. The Same rule applies to cooling HO or VHO T5’s, don't cool the center of the lamps

I have read that as well, factory says there prime operation temp is 97*F and any cooler/hotter will effect efficacy...

I cool the label end with my 10" fan on a timer 15 on and 15 off around the clock. Seems to work very well in my environment but I guess thats the rub, get it dialed in...!

Raho

Veteran
Welcome Raho and Thanks for Sharing...:tiphat:

Pulling 1 gram + per Watt is very doable with the T5's, before it was all talk and now we have the proof in this thread as your the third to pull the numbers...

Enjoy your Fruits of Labor and a High 5 on 420...
Thanks ZZ :)
I think we all understand the limits of the GPW formula (it leaves out the "time" factor) as a measure of productivity, but I have to admit it felt great to hit that number :ying:
That is part of why I grew it using only 8 of the 4 tubes in the fixture.

Interesting info on cooling the end with the labels Spiritual UK. Thanks for sharing!

ZZTops

Veteran
I'm assuming... That 8 to 10 weeks is the time factor no matter the light source...

At least that's my thinking...

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
They are so cute at that age

GPW is misleading on many levels, but it is about efficiency. Unless your grow methods are equally efficient (down to micro-details), you are leaving a lot of grams on the table

S

spiritual uk

Most of my heat issues ,i believe,is down the the mdf absorbing the radiant heat when the box is sealed and lights on full,for longer than approximately 20 hours.

Will flip in about 5 days.

all the best

Attachments

• 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 11

jede3

So, I'm at day 7 of flowering now, and everything is looking great so far. I vegged the girls for 5 weeks, they got super cropped, they got topped, they even got accidentally topped a few times when I screwed up some super cropping attempts. And oddly enough they loved every bit of it, I was afraid of stressing them, but it didn't slow them down at all.

From left to right, I've got Jillybean, Orange Spice and Agent Orange.

These ladies are much happier than my very first run, when I used the hempy buckets. I might go back to the hempy's some day when I have some more experience under my belt, but for now I'm loving soil.

K

kupt

I got my heat issue under control. My next question ins when do I know when to turn to flower? I am a total newb and have done a little research but I have zero idea what I am doing. I got these clones @ 4" almost three weeks ago and I think they are doing well. I don't know the strain all I know is they like to grow tall and have one massive bud. THats why I have been keeping the light low. Any ideas on what I should do with them? I was thinking to scog them? SHould I be trimming anything? I am affriad to hurt my babies! Oh they all showed their sex 3 days ago. They have really started growing these past 2 days, shoots coming from everywhere now!

ZZTops

Veteran
Wow... Nice work everyone...!

Kupt... Like PF says space is the key, remember they will 2 to 3 times in size in flower and you do not want to out grow the room...

They look a little on the small side so I would probably let them go another few weeks...

Are you doing T5's the whole grow...?

Jede... I grow out the Jillybean last year and it's good stuff...

K

kupt

ZZ- Yes they will be under my T5's the whole time. I can't seem to find 3000-3500K T5HO's around here. only 4500 and 5000. I have called everyone and they won't order in unless I take a min of 40 lamps. I don't have that kind of money.

my closet is only 30"x52"x8' so size is an issue. thinking about switching to a dedicated room in the basement but gonna keep these here till I figure out if I want to continue. I already have dumped a good amount into this setup.

ZZTops

Veteran
ZZ- Yes they will be under my T5's the whole time. I can't seem to find 3000-3500K T5HO's around here. only 4500 and 5000. I have called everyone and they won't order in unless I take a min of 40 lamps. I don't have that kind of money.

my closet is only 30"x52"x8' so size is an issue. thinking about switching to a dedicated room in the basement but gonna keep these here till I figure out if I want to continue. I already have dumped a good amount into this setup.

You can order them off the web with no problem but I think you can run what you got 5000K's...

I this thread I did a run with All 3000K, All 6400K and one run with Mixed 3000K/6400K and they all came out wonderful...

I prefer the 50/50 mix all the way thru but bar that I would go with the 6400K all the way thru...

Strange I would not pick the 3000K's over the 6400K's as in the past but seeing them preform made me a believer...

K

kupt

I planned on running 3-3000k and 3-5000k for this run to see what happens. Found a place that I can order 6 as a min. 5000L @ 3000K, but if you say I can get away with the 5000's I might stick with them.

as for the plants, they have continued to explode the past 3 days. They are growing like weeds. I have decided to tie them down for a few days and then build my scrog to maximize the space I have. New grow I will only have 2-3 plants.