What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Diary Swazi Rooibaard (landrace sativa) in coco under MH FC-E6500 led

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Thank you for sharing! I must say I am a simple kind of man so I will probably never even think of wearing a gold mask of Anubis while shopping, and maybe not even other gold mask.
But, even without the mask, while on swazi. I once had to do 3 runs to the store for 10-15 product list. Final count of products actually got, over 100. And Still some missing off the list, but I could not even care to go again. I was using the list for 1-2-3 products, then I was starting to just add stuff i found till I felt I got enaugh. then got home, and seen the list, and realised I am a stoner, just to do it again a few times.

TheDarkStorm

@Pepé The Grower
Master Pepé, can you tell us something about the origins of the Swazi PTG?
Merci Beacoup and have a nice day
@Pepé The Grower
Master Pepé, can you tell us something about the origins of the Swazi PTG?
Merci Beacoup and have a nice day
The one costal seeds has is the same line used by atao genetics/roms.....its supposed to be a older version that was sourced and rescued from a long gone seedbank... though some of the guys involved in working an saving that line have done a bit of selecting work on it....still gives out the red, gold an now more but previously rarer darker poison type phenotypes. Very beautiful tall statuesque sativa plants...can go from 12(if lucky) upto 18 weeks an over....sents of camphor, leather, spice an some with cola...the darker poison types can be breathtaking an heartracing with very strong almost harsh on the throat taste....I have a bit of experience with the Atao/Roms work with it an he has done some very excellent work with it..i found no hermies an found a very high number of plants I recon most people would be proud of having in their collection...I believe the guys have made sure it has been sent back to be secured in its home land....
Not 100 % sure on this but explosivz seem to be related as I have seen some phenotypes almost identical come out of atao's/roms to explozivz beatiful looking plants.

Last edited:

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Been abit busy and also it seems I forgot how to take good pics, I barely managed to get some good enaugh ones after 2 sessions where I only managed shit ones like overexposed or out of focus.
They been through a heatwave or 2 already so I had to keep lights at around 20-25% for at least a week. Now they are back at 40%+ on the dimmer.
As you can see, my wish to have seeds at the base of buds and none at the top seems to have worked. We are probably around week 5 of flower, so not even half of it has passed.
noexif_64gjbd78.jpg
noexif_64gjdg78.jpg
noexif_64ghjd78.jpg
noexif_64gjdh78.jpg
noexif_64gjdgh78.jpg
noexif_64gjd78.jpg
noexif_64gjd71.jpg

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Since no other fix was seeming to work I decided to up the nute mix to 1.8 or even 1.85 mS EC. Up from the usual 1.65 or so.
They seem better. I also lowered N input during last 2 weeks so that must show as well. What I learned by this grow and also by talking with fellow growers is to never do a summer grow again. I did say I wouldn't do it again before, and I decided to try again. I am not so happy about it like I am about the cooler season grows, but, swazi is a late packer sativa.. so I still expect a decent harvest. I been lucky to have a sativa in there, no worries about high rh, And also I can keep lamp quite close to the tops with no problems. Light is around 15-25 cm away from tops at 50% power on the dimmer.

noexif_83hdh44.jpg

Not a new pic because I posted it a few days ago in a forum competition. But, since I did this post, I figured I should add it here too. In the pic they were at just over 6 weeks flower. I promise to try a better update with the camera in a day or two. I could go a bit more on the dimmer some days, bit i figured since this seems to be good both for plants and also for mantaining max temps at around 28-30C and not more even on hottest days.. I will just leave it like this from now. Seems like enaugh buds for a while anyway!! And I still have enaugh of last harvest to last till the new harvest. So it seems to go well overall. :D
Enaugh babbling! See you with better pics soon! :wave:

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
I promised better pics, but I still had to dig through them just to get these:
P1530873_copy_1875x2500.jpg
P1530874_copy_2500x1869.jpg
P1530852_copy_2500x1406.jpg
P1530862_copy_2500x1863.jpg
P1530864_copy_2500x1874.jpg
P1530865_copy_2500x1875.jpg
P1530870_copy_2500x1691.jpg

Anyway, at 1.65EC the tips were white showing Mg def. At 1.85EC all was good till the coco dried a bit, and some tips got burned. So I am close on the feed, but not quite. They do ask for more Mg that I ever gave. Curently at 40 ppm with Mg. Other plants were ok even around 30 ppm.
Then there is that plant that no matter what I do looks like it doesn't get enaugh Fe. And the coco is not too acidic or anything. Just a plant that can't be happy with the feed like the others seem to be. Not even foliars fixed that in veg, so I stopped trying. I will probably try the feed at 1.75 EC next time I mix it.
Later.edit: Forgot to mention, they are about week 6.5-7 out of 12-13 weeks flowering total, so .. mid flowering. Last few weeks till now not much has happened, from now on the buds should grow and resin should start to gather.

Last edited:

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Thank you for checking my thread, brother! I know, all my previous swazi grows were a rollercoaster of wow nothing happens and then to be surprised by the late packing on it.
All the buds that are not pollenised at the base are entirely grown after pollenisation happened! So plants have not really wasted time. It just seems like nothing happens. And even those new buds are not too far behind in size compared the first ones, that have the seeds. Also, many tops has started to slip down cause of weight and long unsuported stems, I think I will need to do some "tie-ups" soon as oposed to the tie-downs I had to do till now.
Can't wait to have some nice redbearded buds to picture!! There are already some of the lower polenised buds that show partly red pistils, but soon there should be a sea of them!

Much peace and love to you, guys and gals! Thank you for the visit! Will update once I manage to get some nice pics. .. or at least decent ones hahaha!

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
The runoff EC raised imediately after I started feeding 1.8 EC, was already over 2.8 EC after a few days, so I am at 1.2 EC now and feeding double amount of water, so 20 liters a day total, to lower it a bit. will try to stay around 1.2 EC till very close to the end.. This is another thing made worse by the heat. So, summer time we need lower EC feed than usually and more runoff to combat the high EC that can accumulate in the coco. I am just saying this cause I have at least 2 buddies that struggled with heat so maybe it helps them or others. I learned my lesson, but i hope to never have to apply it again after this grow, as I hope to never grow in summer again. Kind of late for this lesson in the case of this grow, but the plants don't look like they are suffering from the high EC as much as they suffer from increased airflow and lack of humidity caused by that.
Will update with some pics in a day or two!

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
1 macro and 9 closeups is all I could select from like 50+ pics I taken.
The input EC is now 1.2 and output is 1.5 to 1.7, so I am close to cleaning the excess minerals that were in there. They still getting 20 liters of water a day. Have no ideea what made the tops thin out and stretch, but I guess it must be some stress from either heat or high EC. Good news is that resin started growing, as you see in the macro picture. And also the yellow "defficient" plant seems to have recovered color so I guess it was the one telling me the coco is getting "salty" all along, if I had just listened..
Seeing resin develop and plants recovering from problems tells me they still going strong, despite the heat and problems. I am not that concerned for now. Swazi seems to be a workhorse that will take the abuse. Certainly needs a revisit sometimes in the cold season.
About 7.5 weeks gone out of ~12.5 weeks flowering total.
28 jul no exif (1).jpg
28 jul no exif (3).jpg
28 jul no exif (8).jpg
28 jul no exif (9).jpg
28 jul no exif (10).jpg
28 jul no exif (2).jpg
28 jul no exif (4).jpg
28 jul no exif (5).jpg
28 jul no exif (6).jpg
28 jul no exif (7).jpg

GoatCheese

Veteran
Heat stress isn’t good when you’re making seeds. I heat stressed a plant during my hps days and had very poor germ rates with those seeds. Like only ten seeds out of 200+ germinated and it's the only time this has happened to me, poor germ rates, i mean.

Since then, i always keep the plant abit further away from the light /light dimmed down abit when i’m making seeds compared when i’m growing sensi-weed.

Here's the stressed plant i'm talking about, and as you can see the damage wasn't much but enough to ruin the seeds. The seeds were growing on the lower branches and the tops weren't yellowing at all - only the main cola was yellowing - but the seeds still got fucked.
..so take it easy if the seeds are important to you, bro.

full

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
It's not from the lamps heat man, some days the air comes in at 32C, and up to 28-30C till late in the night when lights are on. ButI will test them, swazi was always great germ rates for me. And the seeded buds are lower now, under the top layer of fresh buds grown after last tie-up. I still have some of the old seeds. If this fails I do it again in proper weather.. but I hope for the best!

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Swazi grows in a hot climate though, i would not fear..It is a hot humid subtropical climate there.. Your higher EC, telling you to water a bigger volume, watch your EC as it drops to range in the pot, be feeding at desired EC again but more volume to take into account the hotter days, desired EC can be lower as evaporation/transpiration and water requirements for the plant more relatively..looking nice bro! Lots and lots of filling out to do LOL..swazi packs round week 8 onwards..she has already begun that white hair explosion..watch the high N as that will drive more leaf growth, yeah I'd drop N 20% now as white hairs exploding and keep EC at desired thereby raising P and K in mix..

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
I was already had dropped N like 10 days ago, yesterday I dropped it even more, still running 1.2-1.3 EC and getting back around 1.5 EC. From all the evaporation I suppose.. or maybe my coco is breaking down faster now and giving out K.
Anyway, plants look a bit healthier, some seeds already showing out out of calaxys, done and ready to drop. I really hope to take some good pics soon, I did some afewdays ago, was super high and when I looked at them next day with hope to post some, I seen how all were out of focus or too dark, so I guess I need to try a bit more sober!

@acespicoli thanks for the visit, man! certainly a nice variety!

@maryjaneismyfre , I want to thank you once again! With every post you made in my thread you shared some killer story or simply said some words that lifted my morale when I was high and lost, and worrying about swazi not packing weight early on.. :D

Last edited:

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Ok. So I took pics in 3 diferent sessions, about xxx of them, and i managed to select 3 to show how it's going. Not gonna say they good pics, but it's all I got. Plants look like they need a bitmore than the 3-4 weeks I am expecting till done, amd itmight be cause of heatstress.
The plant that was yellowish from begening from the high ec, recovering a bit:
left.jpg

The right side:
right side.jpg

The lower/sidebuds:
side.lowerbuds.jpg

I think I need to go back to lights on pics, my tries to do them just after lights off are not really working. It was about 300 shitty pics with various settings to get the ones u see. And it's partly because I am high as fk, but I am not that high to always miss when taking pics.
What can I do to make these girls go a bit faster? I don't wait to wait extra weeks for same yeld or just a bit more cause of this fking heat. I am already at 11 h lights on / 13 off for some weeks.
Cheers and thank you for the visit!

goingrey

Looking good. Appreciate the effort taking the pics.

Not sure there's much you can do to speed things up. Maybe go down to 10/14? And go easy on the N (but not so easy as to stress them).

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Thank you @goinggrey. super nice to say that but man they don't look so well! I apreciate it honestly, and if I wasn't high a fuck I'd have a bit of shame about how lazy I was at times during this grow. Just shows how resilient this wonderful plant is, If even a totally flying stoner can take care of some!
They receive just around 60 ppm N lately, K is almost double, P is a bit over 30 ppm.]
EC around 1.1 input, 1.5 output. PH in 5.8, out PH 6.3.
If i see the runoff going under 1.4 I will go 1.2 or 1.3 EC in, if not.. just leave it like this and cut it a bir more later when they get ready for harvest.

Last edited:

IndicaFarmer

Thank you, bro!
Today they were touching the leds! I raised them a bit and took some pics!
View attachment 18479275 View attachment 18479300
Beauties! I'd love to buy some of that seed! Love the shape of those leaves man. So pointed on the ends! Keep up the good work. I am still getting acclimated to ICMAG. Is there a place on here where people trade/sell seeds to eachother by any chance. I'm probably sounding stupid for asking.... Just a joke. Sorry looked at rules just now. I was joking and would never do such things here!

Small update:
View attachment 18715309
I think they are ready to go to the bigger tent and new light! Whatdo you guys think? :wave:
Quality canopy you got there.

Since no other fix was seeming to work I decided to up the nute mix to 1.8 or even 1.85 mS EC. Up from the usual 1.65 or so.
They seem better. I also lowered N input during last 2 weeks so that must show as well. What I learned by this grow and also by talking with fellow growers is to never do a summer grow again. I did say I wouldn't do it again before, and I decided to try again. I am not so happy about it like I am about the cooler season grows, but, swazi is a late packer sativa.. so I still expect a decent harvest. I been lucky to have a sativa in there, no worries about high rh, And also I can keep lamp quite close to the tops with no problems. Light is around 15-25 cm away from tops at 50% power on the dimmer.

View attachment 18735389
Not a new pic because I posted it a few days ago in a forum competition. But, since I did this post, I figured I should add it here too. In the pic they were at just over 6 weeks flower. I promise to try a better update with the camera in a day or two. I could go a bit more on the dimmer some days, bit i figured since this seems to be good both for plants and also for mantaining max temps at around 28-30C and not more even on hottest days.. I will just leave it like this from now. Seems like enaugh buds for a while anyway!! And I still have enaugh of last harvest to last till the new harvest. So it seems to go well overall. :D
Enaugh babbling! See you with better pics soon! :wave:
WOW, they perked up and greened up something fierce. AWESOME!

Last edited:

goingrey

Thank you @goinggrey. super nice to say that but man they don't look so well! I apreciate it honestly, and if I wasn't high a fuck I'd have a bit of shame about how lazy I was at times during this grow. Just shows how resilient this wonderful plant is, If even a totally flying stoner can take care of some!
They receive just around 60 ppm N lately, K is almost double, P is a bit over 30 ppm.]
EC around 1.1 input, 1.5 output. PH in 5.8, out PH 6.3.
If i see the runoff going under 1.4 I will go 1.2 or 1.3 EC in, if not.. just leave it like this and cut it a bir more later when they get ready for harvest.
They're really not that bad. Not perfect but I've seen much much worse. In my own tent even lol...

You mix your own fertilizer or just doing the math to get the ppm of individual elements?

Latest posts

Latest posts