What's new

Subrob Hash

moose eater

i've got a good amount of trim tray kief,i was wondering if it could be pressed into a slab...most of it is well aged so fairly dark in color...my rosin press doesn't have much pressure to it and i don't have mold so it seems like it would just make huge mess if i use my 6 ton press...
If you have decent quality kief, you can press it; by hand, in a press, etc.

The Lebanese, when pressing, often used a cloth bag under a wide-mouth press with no sides and limited heat, if heat is necessary at all.

Their older presses were with 'arms' and often had 2-3 people stabilizing the press with feet, etc, and reefing on those arms of a hand crank press.

If heat was applied, it was limited, and the wide-plate press was sometimes heated with a hand-held butane torch.

We mostly liked their stuff made that way..

I use a mold/form for mine with the heavy hydraulic jack, simply because I use Reynold's turkey roasting bags cut and folded into small 'pockets' and the mold, if used correctly, and the pouches are put together with just enough slack, keeps the pouch fom exploding and making a mess inside the mold.

Press on!! Or hand press.

I've also taken a small pouch of the roasting bags, placed them inside my shoe, under my heel, and sort of met the 2 processes somewhere in the middle; somewhere between hand pressed and a press.

moose eater

Rob, I also prefer the seived and pressed hash over the bubble.

A person may get a greater return (likely will get a better return) with bubble, but in my oinion, it's not the same. It's not pressed kief of old-school, nor is it charas. Bubble, imo, is its own critter, and while it can be done well, it's not the stuff I grew up with and have fondness for.

Thanks for your thread.

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Rob, I also prefer the seived and pressed hash over the bubble.

A person may get a greater return (likely will get a better return) with bubble, but in my oinion, it's not the same. It's not pressed kief of old-school, nor is it charas. Bubble, imo, is its own critter, and while it can be done well, it's not the stuff I grew up with and have fondness for.

Thanks for your thread.
I have found a couple folks here, including that hippie unclefishstick, who do bubble way better than I or my buddies do/did. Lol. But there is a......flavor?I guess...that I just don't get anywhere else. Including rosin.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have found a couple folks here, including that hippie unclefishstick, who do bubble way better than I or my buddies do/did. Lol. But there is a......flavor?I guess...that I just don't get anywhere else. Including rosin.
hippy? how dare you! lol

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I lived down the road from CrazyC for a few years. They are good buddies.
Me, grey and crazy have shared MANY genetics over the years. All started right here on icmag. Started when crazy gave me chem d and ECSD back in the day, which greyskull came over immediately after they rooted and picked up. Lol. Ffa also. Ssh, Dogg, madness, and others have gone back his way. I sure do miss the forum days.

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
New hash smoking kettle
IMG_20221217_163235271.jpg
IMG_20221217_163246194.jpg
IMG_20221217_163259678.jpg

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The hash that's in the pics with the hash kettle is full melt and doesn't work in the kettle.
So....
I ran 3 different kinds of trim to get ready to do a nice run.
Using different screens. 90 mesh count and 110mesh count(150 micron).
Sifted thru the 110/150 a second time.
Two of the chunks I used a press at 99°F, 15 seconds at a time x 3 reps. Folding it up in between. Then worked by hand until sticky and...ready.
Burn perfectly in the kettle.
I'm so high😎

IMG_20221222_174644096.jpg

IMG_20221222_174635566.jpg

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
I appreciate your sacrifice to find a mix that will work in a kettle. Good job. (y)

But that is sift? I wonder what I can bubble that will work . . . ?

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just finished up first run of the trim. With some morning entertainment. And post Christmas wrapping. Kept up the average of gram per ounce. But there are still visible heads on all material and small nugs not broken up.
Going to use 3 screens to break it up and get the rest.
Meanwhile, will start in on these ....well...when I run out of hash I suppose. I'll be able to get some cure on a good amount of this. Sweet tasting hash. It bubbles, but not full melt. I can twist a bit, get it cherried, and pin it in that kettle. As close to traditional hash I used to get in the 80s in interior Alaska as I've made yet. In texture. Becomes pliant and sticky quickly in hand. Very...sponge like. But when cooled to room temp(currently 67°F) it's rock hard and sounds like dropping ice cubes into the jar.
Quit using heat when I pressed it. Wasn't necessary. It was a mix of genetics. All good. Potent as fuck, I'm stoned out of my mind as I write...
Will do second run soon.

These are going in a jar and being stored in any room in the house that doesn't have a grow light. Avg temp 62-69°F

Any input on curing is welcome
IMG_20221226_091234815.jpg
IMG_20221226_091619819.jpg

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor

Looks great, subrob. I can't really tell from your pictures . . . .but it should be wrapped in cellophane - never plastic. And then the usual: cool and dark. Goat skins are optional. :rasta:

And . . . I got a Happle from my stepson for Xmas. Like a Hash Kettle but cheaper. ;) It works. :rasta:

moose eater

Just finished up first run of the trim. With some morning entertainment. And post Christmas wrapping. Kept up the average of gram per ounce. But there are still visible heads on all material and small nugs not broken up.
Going to use 3 screens to break it up and get the rest.
Meanwhile, will start in on these ....well...when I run out of hash I suppose. I'll be able to get some cure on a good amount of this. Sweet tasting hash. It bubbles, but not full melt. I can twist a bit, get it cherried, and pin it in that kettle. As close to traditional hash I used to get in the 80s in interior Alaska as I've made yet. In texture. Becomes pliant and sticky quickly in hand. Very...sponge like. But when cooled to room temp(currently 67°F) it's rock hard and sounds like dropping ice cubes into the jar.
Quit using heat when I pressed it. Wasn't necessary. It was a mix of genetics. All good. Potent as fuck, I'm stoned out of my mind as I write...
Will do second run soon.

These are going in a jar and being stored in any room in the house that doesn't have a grow light. Avg temp 62-69°F

View attachment 18795781 View attachment 18795782
Depending on strain(s) and cleanliness of my tumbler wheel, and likely some other variables, I figured years ago I was averaging a 5% to 13% return from (mostly) sugar trim. And how a crop produced could also vary based on the success or health of THAT crop, even when comparing the same strains.

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Looks great, subrob. I can't really tell from your pictures . . . .but it should be wrapped in cellophane - never plastic. And then the usual: cool and dark. Goat skins are optional. :rasta:

And . . . I got a Happle from my stepson for Xmas. Like a Hash Kettle but cheaper. ;) It works. :rasta:
It's turkey bag. Is that good enough? Just did a quick search online...is there a specific type you would recommend?

moose eater

It's turkey bag. Is that good enough? Just did a quick search online...is there a specific type you would recommend?
I use turkey/oven roasting bags for pressing glands inside the molds, but store finished product in my hash jar, wrapped in Saran Wrap.

Latest posts

Latest posts