What's new

Subrob Hash

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
The supposed advantage to cellophane is that is natural and plant-based and therefore not evil plastic. You can buy a roll for cheap at a Dollar store in clear, red, blue etc. Red was always the smuggler's choice. :rasta:

Last edited:

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Got some of these Wilton treat bags that were advertised as cellophane.
IMG_20221227_143454408.jpg

SmellyFlorist

Tx for the thread and all gorgeous stash shot....
How do you go about consumption? Any chance of old school hash chillum..?
peace

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Tx for the thread and all gorgeous stash shot....
How do you go about consumption? Any chance of old school hash chillum..?
peace
Well..two ways of consumption. The first is the hash kettle. It is a nice way, excellent way, to consume traditional hash. As long as it will cherry, it's more convenient than knife hits back in the day. A lot of the hash I've made ends up as full melt. Not really pure enough to dab, but too pure to cherry up as a solid. Full melt. So that I put on top of flower and smoke in a bowl or bong. When you make your own, it's so nice to smoke flower and hash from same strain, same cut.

moose eater

Well..two ways of consumption. The first is the hash kettle. It is a nice way, excellent way, to consume traditional hash. As long as it will cherry, it's more convenient than knife hits back in the day. A lot of the hash I've made ends up as full melt. Not really pure enough to dab, but too pure to cherry up as a solid. Full melt. So that I put on top of flower and smoke in a bowl or bong. When you make your own, it's so nice to smoke flower and hash from same strain, same cut.
We did 'hash under glass' as youngsters, with a straight pin inserted through a playing card or similar, then the chunk of hash afixed to the point/tip of the pin, lit on fire, the glass inverted over the hash, which would then smolder, then slip the edge of the glass toward the side of the table, or what ever surface you were using, and suck the smoke from underneath the edge of the glass. Simplicity without real paraphernalia. But a bit of ritual, too, And you had to have a straight pin on hand.

Last edited:

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ok...as good as some of my hash has come out, there are still things that confuse the shit out of me.
I busted out the smallest chunk of my last run. It's dry sift run through 90 and 110 mesh count and some was 60-90-110. And some of it was screened twice on the 110 mesh(150 micron)

Another difference is some of this was machine pressed w no heat, 2-3 reps, then lightly worked by hand til it got oily, shaped, wrapped in cellophane, put in jar, stored in cabinet, temp between 60-68°F

Also, this is a blend of trim. A # of strains, all top shelf.

And ..lol...shit...I'm gonna have to smoke ALL these chunks to see how all these differences grade out...the trim was not frozen immediately after buds were cleaned. I don't know how long it sat, but when it got to me it smelled like heaven and trichs everywhere. I only mention this in case it pertains to one of the questions I have.

Ok...so I busted out this chunk. As I was warming it up in my hand, rolling it back n forth. I pressed it between thumb and forefinger and it crumbled. I can take it and press between fingers again and it cakes up, but it's not sticky enough to put on kettle pin without cracking and falling.

Now it smells good. It is NOT full melt, it's hash that cherries for sure. And after throwing it on a flower screen it's potent as hell...lol..I'm high...hash high...

Let me post a couple pics
I'm already seeing physical differences now that I'm pulling the other chunks out...
Here's the one I'm talking about:

IMG_20230116_160805768.jpg
IMG_20230116_160814154.jpg
IMG_20230116_161432207.jpg

moose eater

Ok...as good as some of my hash has come out, there are still things that confuse the shit out of me.
I busted out the smallest chunk of my last run. It's dry sift run through 90 and 110 mesh count and some was 60-90-110. And some of it was screened twice on the 110 mesh(150 micron)

Another difference is some of this was machine pressed w no heat, 2-3 reps, then lightly worked by hand til it got oily, shaped, wrapped in cellophane, put in jar, stored in cabinet, temp between 60-68°F

Also, this is a blend of trim. A # of strains, all top shelf.

And ..lol...shit...I'm gonna have to smoke ALL these chunks to see how all these differences grade out...the trim was not frozen immediately after buds were cleaned. I don't know how long it sat, but when it got to me it smelled like heaven and trichs everywhere. I only mention this in case it pertains to one of the questions I have.

Ok...so I busted out this chunk. As I was warming it up in my hand, rolling it back n forth. I pressed it between thumb and forefinger and it crumbled. I can take it and press between fingers again and it cakes up, but it's not sticky enough to put on kettle pin without cracking and falling.

Now it smells good. It is NOT full melt, it's hash that cherries for sure. And after throwing it on a flower screen it's potent as hell...lol..I'm high...hash high...

Let me post a couple pics
I'm already seeing physical differences now that I'm pulling the other chunks out...
Here's the one I'm talking about:

View attachment 18802450 View attachment 18802451 View attachment 18802452
I've had glands years ago that barely pressed by hand at all. Total let-down re. forming classic chunks of hash the Middle Eastern style of yesteryear, but it smoked and 'worked' well most of the time. Not always. Source of glands matters A LOT!!

I 'think' it's to do with composition of the resin, moisture versus oil, etc., how much/often heat was applied in pressing, and other factors. Cured while semi-sealed?

I once gifted some unpressable glands to a member of a noteworthy MC for his birthday, via an intermediary. Wish I'd worked harder. Some impacts linger, even when unintentional. Good will be damned to some degree.

In the end, there's a number of mysteries to the ancient art of seived hash pressing.

As stated before, when I wrap my finished seived, pressed product in Saran wrap, and place it in my beaded hash jar my wife made for me (an abstract portrait/interpretation of mountains and Northern Lights/Aurora Borealis in beads completely surrounding a jar with plastic/rubberized seals that friction fit with the lid; I'll provide a pic soon), and leave the tightly wrapped end results in there for a time, they almost always become pliable and resinous/sticky on their own over time. Magical stuff that way.

Last edited:

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Watching how they collect Kief in Afgh is pretty straightforward. I wish more step by step info was posted.. I see many Light samples of their kief on fire and then spread it in their hand/fingers. What are they looking at/for, quality? Once they like it what's the next step? What prevents their hash from molding?. It def has plenty of moisture. Does anyone have this info?.

moose eater

Watching how they collect Kief in Afgh is pretty straightforward. I wish more step by step info was posted.. I see many Light their kief on fire and then spread it in their hand/fingers. What are they looking at/for, quality? Once they like it what's the next step? What prevents their hash from molding?. It def has plenty of moisture. Does anyone have this info?.
Afghanistan uses all three methods of hash-making, often segregated by region.

In some places in the mountains they use water to make shapes with the dry glands and heat them near open fires sometimes, as well as some places using the rubbed hash we refer to as charas, and they also do a more traditional seived and pressed hash like that of Morocco and Lebanon.

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I. Am. So. High.
Well, shows how much I have left to learn about hash! I just sampled across the three grades, as I had them ranked in my mind. Lol
The yellow twists I thought would be the best. Best meaning: traditional, non full melt, good for the kettle, pin hits, etc. It is undoubtedly the bronze medal winner here. Still pressed heads, potent as hell, but crumble hash. Or... actually, crumble might be a name for some of the fancy ass shit the kids smoke, but I mean it in a literal sense.

The second run of trim chunk, blue twist, definitely got more cleaning time, out of necessity, was dirtier, turned out to be full melt. So, hammer, when you see them hold a flame to a chunk and it just bubbles non stop but doesn't catch on fire? Like that. It's very clean hash. Not necessarily dab level clean, but clean.

The red twist turned out to be the best for the kettle. This chunk was 3 one gram chunks I had worked by hand, pressed together. So the primary difference was all hand worked vs the yellow twists, which were pressed, one chunk w heat, and not worked as much.

Jesus I'm high.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ya, I want to see how they're made. I'm not a fan of rubbed hash do to possible contamination from skin. no way to know if gloves were used.. Finding the whole process is a chore. Back in the 1970s, Gold Seal was the highest quality Afghani Black hashish. Back then I didn't care how it was made lol. The USA is sorely lacking in Hash knowledge.

Last edited:

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ya hammer, I've been watching a lot of Asian accounts this hash season! So fukn awesome to see. I've seen a lot using heat. I saw some static tech too!

moose eater

My California Indica (my most elderly plant, now close to 25 years old, clone to clone, going back to importation from the Netherlands by myself, from Dronkers' Sensi Seeds in downtown A-Dam, back to Alaska in 1997, and grown that next winter, early 1998), still produces what seems closest to the traditional blonde Lebanese hash; smell, color, high, etc.