What's new

Subrob Hash

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
i was just down that way yesterday,then spaced calling mostly because there was a gap in traffic on picacho so i zipped across and ended up at the bike shop...
I got housekeeping at noon. For about an hour n half, other than that, here all day!

hamstring

Veteran
This, and the last couple pics, are chunks of Tropicana cherries by Relentless, grown by another icmagger here in town, then dry sifted, hand pressed by me.
Smoking the chunk from last couple pics. Heavy high and literal cherry taste. This chunk, and the ones coming up will all be getting a cure. About half will be assured of at least a couple month cure, the other half will be up to dude who's getting it. Lol.
Made from leaf, so much easier than flower. When it's quality grown and good genes anyway.

View attachment 18766468
Subrob
Cherry hash sounds incredible!

Just getting ready to do a hash run with my outdoor harvest this year. I have both GG4 and Purple satellite. The two strains couldn't be more different in smell and lineage.

As I was breaking up the buds to get ready for water extraction ( still havent extracted yet) i had enough kief from each strain to make a little hash from each.

I sifted the kief through my 160bag and pressed it parchment paper with a iron to get something to put in a bowl.

So the high is obviously different from each strain but the taste is the almost the same. I describe it as a incense flavor/smell. I have made hash several times over the years from outdoor and no matter the strain the flavor is relatively the same.

Is it strain dependent or technique? Typically I separate the 160 and combine the 120,75,25 bag into one.

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Subrob
Cherry hash sounds incredible!

Just getting ready to do a hash run with my outdoor harvest this year. I have both GG4 and Purple satellite. The two strains couldn't be more different in smell and lineage.

As I was breaking up the buds to get ready for water extraction ( still havent extracted yet) i had enough kief from each strain to make a little hash from each.

I sifted the kief through my 160bag and pressed it parchment paper with a iron to get something to put in a bowl.

So the high is obviously different from each strain but the taste is the almost the same. I describe it as a incense flavor/smell. I have made hash several times over the years from outdoor and no matter the strain the flavor is relatively the same.

Is it strain dependent or technique? Typically I separate the 160 and combine the 120,75,25 bag into one.
So...I'm still new to making hash. Couple years now. Got into cuz I missed smoking the hash we used to get in interior Alaska in the 80s.
Each chunk I've made has some similar aromas once pressed, but keeps some aromas distinctly different.
The Tropicana cherries is pretty strange. I was given a big bag of sugar leaf. Frozen. And as I work it, the leaf itself is less cherry and more purple perfumed affy almost. Now, I haven't grown it, and freezing I'm sure affects terps. But once it's sifted, as I'm working it by hand, the cherry comes out! This is a fantastic hash strain.

It could be technique. I'd try working it by hand. You can feel and see and smell the differences.

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just finishing up w the Tropicana cherries hash. Very happy to have been able to work on some of this. Dank weed, dank hash.
IMG_20221018_010620743.jpg
Screenshot_20221018-005911-394.png

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Its nothing like the hash im used to.. The hash I remember as a kid was still pliable and moist.. The hash I make is hard as a rock lol.

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
Its nothing like the hash im used to.. The hash I remember as a kid was still pliable and moist.

That was probably added liquid - which in turn increased the weight. The resin won't absorb moisture but the contaminants in the hash can. If you watch some of the Afghan hash vids, tea etc is added when they are hand forming it. I remember blonde Leb was always rock hard. Moroccan varied - some hard some soft. And Afghan, Nepalese was softer.

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Whatever is in the trim bin I use. I got it a decade ago. The new ones say 150m. I used Kief from many different varieties.
Couple things: as comfy said above, every resin is different.
Also, 150 micron sift can be a huge ..... spectrum of clean. Depends on technique getting it done.
After 150 I clean it a little bit more. I use a 200 mesh count and I experiment with technique on that.

RoostaPhish

Veteran
It usually seemed to me that all the pressed keif I have had or made was harder to some point or another. Rub or charas were always pliable and had elasticity. Especially after being handled.

moose eater

I use an 8-ton to 12-ton hydraulic jack in my press when I press my hash.

When warm, and a successful crop with lots of resin/oils, it's quite soft and pliable.

After cooling a bit (from the 150 f to 170 f the form is typically heated to before pressing) it is often distinctly hard.

Let it sit in food wrap bits in a semi-sealed hash jar, and the resins/oils in the hash will better disperse or distribute themselves through what was previously quite hard, and over the course of 6 months to a year (or more), the once-hard chunks become nicely pliable.

But you may need to either make more hash, or discipline yourself re. consumption to have it last long enough to witness the change or transformation.

If your trichs have any significant resin content to them at all, this transition will take place.

As far as humidity affecting this transition, I live in what is, in the Winter time, a VERY dry climate; often at or below 16% rh in the house due to the HRV, unless I have a larger crop going in the shop. My hash has gone through this transition or transformation with regularity, despite the rh level in the house. But again, the hash is individually wrapped in food wrap, then into my beaded, semi-sealed, hash jar my wife made for me..

Edit: In my opinion, the rubbed varieties of hash, to include charas, are more pliable due to the absence of as much heating, the warmth of the hands working the hash over time expressing the resin from the cells, and oil from human hands is fairly constantly being added. Not so appetizing from a public health point of view, but very nice stuff nonetheless.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts