Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Air Date: Saturday 5/19/2012

Main card (Showtime) (10:00pm EST)
Josh Barnett (31-5) vs. Daniel Cormier (9-0) [HWGP Final]
Gilbert Melendez (20-2) vs. Josh Thomson (19-4, 1 NC) [LW Title]
Rafael "Feijao" Cavalcante (11-3) vs. Mike Kyle (19-8-1, 1 NC)
Nah-Shon Burrell (8-1) vs. Chris Spang (4-1)

Preliminary Card (Showtime Extreme) (8:00pm EST)
Gesias "JZ" Cavalcante vs. Isaac Vallie-Flagg
James Terry vs. Bobby Green
Virgil Zwicker vs. Guto Inocente
Gian Villante vs. Derrick Mehmen
Quinn Mulhern vs. Yuri Villefort

Stream info:

Event Stream:
http://www.firstrowsports.eu/watch/123497/2/watch-strikeforce:-barnett-vs-cormier-.html

Event Stream 2:
http://www.coolsport.tv/stream1.php

Alternate Stream links:
http://www.vipbox.tv/
http://coolsport.tv/
http://www.firstrowsports.eu/

strikeforce_barnett_vs_cormier_poster.jpg

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Josh by easy submission in the first round

this is such a mismatch

How is he going to get Cormier to the ground or get him into an advantageous position once he gets there? Cormier's wrestling is tip-top-level.

I think Barnett could submit him, but I cant see him pulling it off that easily or quickly. Perhaps in round 2 or 3, but that will give Cormier plenty of time to knock him around if not out.

Should be a great fight, been looking forward to this for a while!

DIDM

Malaika
Veteran
I'm being serious here, not mean or anything but

Do you know about Josh at all?

I'd say just go watch some highlights or something. Josh has a million times the experience against killing machines in Pride. This is a mismatch at the highest level. Josh is also a phenomenal wrestler, albeit a different kind than collegiate, but a fething pro none the less.

Josh will have no problem handing him his arm after he rips it off

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm being serious here, not mean or anything but

Do you know about Josh at all?

I'd say just go watch some highlights or something. Josh has a million times the experience against killing machines in Pride. This is a mismatch at the highest level. Josh is also a phenomenal wrestler, albeit a different kind than collegiate, but a fething pro none the less.

Josh will have no problem handing him his arm after he rips it off

If he couldn't submit Brett Rogers in the first round then I think its pretty wild to suggest with absolute certainty that he will be able to do so against Cormier, who has many more tools to keep it standing.

Guess it comes down to how many roids he was able to sneak in during training, as they appear to have been a factor in all his most impressive victories.

DIDM

Malaika
Veteran
you are foolish to think anyone isn't on roids

they are as rampant as well, food in most every Professional MMA fighters lives

The fight with Brett I think was a little scripted, as they knew Josh would kill him and wanted to make it a more competitive looking fight.

Josh also openly admits he eats roids on his cereal each morning as well as

[A]fter I fought Ricco [Rodriguez], I was in for a long layoff. I decided to try some things and maybe change my physique a little bit and get in better shape. But whatever I used, it came back positive. I don’t know how that happened. I did it so long ago and I was way off it before I fought McGee. I think they found it in my fat cells. I guess it stays in there for a while, huh?…I heard what Josh [Barnett] had used, so I used something different and I was only using it to trim my physique. I thought that what I was using, it was going to be out by the time I fought McGee. I fought Gan and apparently it wasn’t out.”

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
you are foolish to think anyone isn't on roids

they are as rampant as well, food in most every Professional MMA fighters lives

The fight with Brett I think was a little scripted, as they knew Josh would kill him and wanted to make it a more competitive looking fight.

You are foolish to put words in my mouth. I never said who is and isn't on roids in general, what I said was "during training," as in the period when they have to stop or risk popping on the pre-fight tests.

Barnett loses rematches to people he beat when he got popped using roids in the leadup to the fight too - hard to explain if the roids are a neutral issue.

Anyways, I stand by my opinion, that Cormier has a chance and prolly wont get sub'd in the first, and at least half the pros agree. Yours on the other hand, well plenty of people think Barnett will win but nobody is screaming about crazy mismatches and predicting subs in the first round.

Here's the write up from mmafighting.com -

"I've agonized over making a final selection for this fight for weeks, if not months. Oddsmakers are seemingly just as unsure. Ultimately, though, I'm going to go with the upstart in Cormier. Barnett's path to victory either results from out-striking Cormier or finding a way to land a submission. I find both outcomes to be improbable. Outside of submitting Kharitonov, Barnett hasn't faced a top-tier heavyweight in quite some time (although I suppose you can make an argument for Brett Rogers). It's true Barnett has handily defeated everyone since losing to Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira in 2006, but that includes fighters who shouldn't be competing anymore (Jeff Monson, Pedro Rizzo, Mighty Mo), a light heavyweight (Hidehiko Yoshida) and opponents who have no business facing him (Geronimo dos Santos). I'm not sure that's the best preparation for Cormier even if I grant Rogers and Kharitonov are fairly clear steps up.

Still, Barnett is going to have a hard time taking Cormier down and holding him there. That makes his clear submission edge hard to leverage. On the feet, Barnett has not been overly willing to stirke with clear threats. He took down Kharitonov, Mo and Yvel almost right away. Cormier's hand speed is surprisingly good as is his accuracy and combination striking. Over time, I'm betting that will be the difference.

Pick: Cormier"

http://www.sportsnet.ca/mma/2012/05/18/strikeforce_grand_prix_barnett_cormier/

There's 6 more pro predictions and only one thinks Barnett will be dominant and half think Cormier will win.

Honestly just sounds like you've got Barnett's junk waaaaay down deep in your throat.

b00m

~No Guts~ ~No Glory~
Mentor
Veteran
Edit:- Late to the party once again :friends:
:smoke out:

Last edited:

Pinkladyeater

Should be some good fights tonight, I'm thinking Josh by ground'n pound in late 2nd or 3rd round. Either way the winner will most likely shortly be heading to the UFC.

DIDM

Malaika
Veteran
Should be some good fights tonight, I'm thinking Josh by ground'n pound in late 2nd or 3rd round. Either way the winner will most likely shortly be heading to the UFC.

Josh and Dana are good friends despite all the sensational rumors that run rampant on MMA forums

Josh will sub him with ease

the co main event is a lot more interesting of a match

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
90% of the Pro Picks are for Cormier....

Im for neither, there both trash, just entertainment for the night....