What's new

Starke's Story: An LED Tale

saitama

Jon: I assure you if I ran these lights at 6 inches I would cook the plants. At 24 the bleaching would be severe. At 36 I still get slight bleaching. Thanks for the info on the lenses.

I can corroborate these findings.

starke

Weekly Update (Flower Day 49)

Weekly Update (Flower Day 49)

Today marks the end of seven weeks of flower. The girls continue to bulk up and generally seem happy. As mentioned last week, I had to do some " stakin' and stringin' " to keep the colas upright. Bet I invest in a bunch of yoyos before the next grow though. Still have some smaller lower buds that have flopped down but they are in positions where they cannot really be supported. They are still receiving some light though so I'm just going to let them finish. Now that I know what I'm looking for, these type buds will be cut during defol on the next grow.

I've backed the feed down to 500ppm/.5 as we are beginning to wind things down. I'm not seeing any cloudy or amber trichs yet but they should not be far from beginning to turn. As things stand now I'm planning on about an eight day flush (four feedings) with just ph'd water at about 100 - 120ppm as it comes out of my well.

I must say at this point that I am impressed with results and the simplicity of Hempy Buckets. Only change I'm going to make for the next grow is using five gallon buckets. Don't really need the extra capacity for the plants but want to be able to put some river rock in the bottom for weight to prevent tipping and on top in order to stop chasing perlite everywhere. I'm also really diggin' the Jacks and Calnit.

Last Week:

Today:

A couple of Buds as of today:

Peace,
starke

deepwaterdude

Very nice grow, starke, methods are really dialed in. I've got 7 plants in a 5x5 in 3 gal under a nextlight mega. I hope to do nearly as well;)

starke

Thanks deepwaterdude. Believe me when I say I'm about as far from dialed in as you can get. I'm happy so far and have learned a lot - some good/some bad - during this grow. Already contemplating the changes needed for the next round...but from all I've read it seems that is what most of us on here do: Try to make the next round better! Seven plants in a 5x5...now thats some skill.

There is some serious resin being pumped out by those buds! With results like that, I may have to give Jack's a try/ side by side with maxi bloom. I can't wait to see how this run finishes out!

starke

A Little Hiccup

A Little Hiccup

So, I’ve run into a little issue that I am not sure of the cause and could use some help. I’ve placed this post into the infirmary thread as well.

Current Parameters:

Super Lemon Haze clones in week eight of flower.
Three gallon Hempy Buckets with 75/25 Perlite/Vermiculite mix.
Jacks Pro Hydro and Calnit at 1:67 ratio, currently at 500ppm/.5 scale
Nutrient ph is 5.9 (Bluelab meter calibrated this morning.)
URSA LED for light (640W actual full spectrum COB)
5x5 Tent
6 inch Hyperfan with Can-Lite Carbon filter
Passive intakes
10 inch circulation fan
Temps 80 – 82f
Humidity 50 – 55%

One plant of four affected. Symptom first appeared last week on one tiny branch a day after I staked and strung up colas. The leaves on the branch yellowed rapidly over the course of two days and then withered. I thought I had possibly broken the branch during the staking session so I just harvested it for a tester. The same symptoms are now beginning on two other much larger branches as shown in the below pics.

To my inexperienced eye it looks like N deficiency but that does not make sense as all four plants are receiving the same nutes and are clones from the same mom.

Fed this morning and runoff ph on the three healthy plants was 7.1 – 7.2. Ph on the sick plant was 7.5. Runoff ppm on the three healthy plants was 700 – 740/.5. Runoff ppm on the sick plant was 1000/.5.

So now I’m thinking maybe root issues as the plant appears to not be uptaking nutes, if my thinking is on track. Opinions/advice welcomed.

The symptoms seen have manifested over the last four days. (Since the last update photos on 12/14.

picture.php

picture.php

Peace,
starke

Last edited:

saitama

So, I’ve run into a little issue that I am not sure of the cause and could use some help. I’ve placed this post into the infirmary thread as well.

Current Parameters:

Super Lemon Haze clones in week eight of flower.
Three gallon Hempy Buckets with 75/25 Perlite/Vermiculite mix.
Jacks Pro Hydro and Calnit at 1:67 ratio, currently at 500ppm/.5 scale
Nutrient ph is 5.9 (Bluelab meter calibrated this morning.)
URSA LED for light (640W actual full spectrum COB)
5x5 Tent
6 inch Hyperfan with Can-Lite Carbon filter
Passive intakes
10 inch circulation fan
Temps 80 – 82f
Humidity 50 – 55%

One plant of four effected. Symptom first appeared last week on one tiny branch a day after I staked and strung up colas. The leaves on the branch yellowed rapidly over the course of two days and then withered. I thought I had possibly broken the branch during the staking session so I just harvested it for a tester. The same symptoms are now beginning on two other much larger branches as shown in the below pics.

To my inexperienced eye it looks like N deficiency but that does not make sense as all four plants are receiving the same nutes and are clones from the same mom.

Fed this morning and runoff ph on the three healthy plants was 7.1 – 7.2. Ph on the sick plant was 7.5. Runoff ppm on the three healthy plants was 700 – 740/.5. Runoff ppm on the sick plant was 1000/.5.

So now I’m thinking maybe root issues as the plant appears to not be uptaking nutes, if my thinking is on track. Opinions/advice welcomed.

The symptoms seen have manifested over the last four days. (Since the last update photos on 12/14.

View Image

View Image

Peace,
starke

I'm not sure it is fusarium wilt, but you might want to look into it. Good luck man. she was doing so well, too.

I believe aspenous had a similar issue as well and sent out a root sample and it was cured with this product. What the exact symptoms were, I cannot remember. Not can I remember the root issue. Just trying to help!!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A3YVVK6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

starke

Chop Chop

Chop Chop

I decided to chop the affected lady this morning after checking on her prior to lights on and finding further leaf fading. The misses and I smoked the only nug on the tester branch last night and it was a kick ass stone.

After the chop I examined the root ball and found no evidence of necrosis of any kind. No dark or dying roots, no smells indicative of rot. Cut sections through the roots as well to ensure no rot was lurking inside.

picture.php

Either I had a nute lockout of some kind (which makes no sense as the other plants were not affected) OR...as Speed of green mentioned in his response in the Infirmary Thread...maybe the plant was finished and dying. I have a hard time seeing the trichs between my 60 yo eyes, cheap 60x loupe and shaky hands. Have got to get a decent USB microscope. Told the misses she needed to get Santa up to speed on that request ASAP. :biggrin:

I remember DTOG responding in a thread several months ago to me that he had a pheno of Super Lemon Haze that finished in eight weeks. I'm thinking maybe this is that pheno. Going to start flushing the remaining three ladies tomorrow and see what happens.

Peace,
starke

Last edited:

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I decided to chop the affected lady this morning after checking on her prior to lights on and finding further leaf fading. The misses and I smoked the only nug on the tester branch last night and it was a kick ass stone.

After the chop I examined the root ball and found no evidence of necrosis of any kind. No dark or dying roots, no smells indicative of rot. Cut sections through the roots as well to ensure no rot was lurking inside.

View Image

Either I had a nute lockout of some kind (which makes no sense as the other plants were not affected) OR...as Speed of green mentioned in his response in the Infirmary Thread...maybe the plant was finished and dying. I have a hard time seeing the trichs between my 60 yo eyes, cheap 60x loupe and shaky hands. Have got to get a decent USB microscope. Told the misses she needed to get Santa up to speed on that request ASAP. :biggrin:

I remember DTOG responding in a thread several months ago to me that he had a pheno of Super Lemon Haze that finished in eight weeks. I'm thinking maybe this is that pheno. Going to start flushing the remaining three ladies tomorrow and see what happens.

Peace,
starke

Man I really thought it was fusarium too. There weren't any BROWN + MUSHY roots anywhere? Phosphorous deficiency or over feeding was my only other guess. So could be pH issue as well.

starke

40amps: I still can't figure it out. I am anal about ph and keeping my meter calibrated. If it is a deficiency of some kind caused by ph or other factors then the other plants should be exhibiting it also since they are genetically identical and all of their growing parameters are identical to the affected plant. That's what I can't get my head around. I just knew I was going to find some rot in the roots...WTF?

The upside is... based on the tiny nug sampled last night it is still some righteous smoke.

starke

Weekly Update (Flower Day 56)

Weekly Update (Flower Day 56)

And then there were three...

Today marks the end of eight weeks of flower. The three remaining ladies got their first feeding with just ph'd water yesterday. From what I can see with my current BS equipment the trichs look mostly clear with a few cloudy here and there.

After some info from stim and MJPassion in another thread, I'm thinking maybe my problem with the mystery plant may be my use of sulfuric/battery acid as ph down. That still does not explain why the other three ladies are not showing symptoms - but it is a parameter I can easily change for future grows. A gallon of bonafide ph down is on order.

As it stands now I'm planning on harvesting around the nine week mark if I can get a higher percentage of cloudy trichs during the coming week. I've got two Liberty Haze fems, a Juan Herrer fem and a Hawaiian Snow fem that are getting too big and need to be put in flower ASAP. Unfortunately, my tent is also my drying area at the moment for odor control purposes, so the ladies will be in the tent at least another week after harvest.

I'd love to hear from anyone regarding the use of sulfuric acid for ph down - good or bad - for my own future reference.

Last Week:

Today:

The obligatory bud shot:

Peace,
starke

saitama

You're making me miss the bud quality and density produced by the URSA. I really need to give it another run and have it held way the heck up high.

paper thorn

Veteran
hawaiian snow? that should be a monster. grow looks great starke. i wish i could help you with the yellow leaves. for me weird unknown looking defs are from root aphids. i think i need nylar.

anyway, thanks for the obligatory bud shot. man, that's a nice looking bud too.

starke

A Merry Christmas Update

A Merry Christmas Update

The lady harvested on the 19th went into jars this morning at 61% RH. Weight of smokeable bud was 5.27 zips. I did not weigh the popcorn and larf but I'm guessing around a zip and a half. It along with the fans went straight into some butter. So I'm kind of excited because if the trend holds for the remaining three ladies I will be over an elbow for the grow, which was my goal in the beginning. That will be more weed in one place, at one time, than I have seen in my life.

picture.php

The remaining three ladies have begun to fade well and received their third feeding of ph'd water just before this pic was taken this morning. I think I'll be on track to chop on Thursday the 28th.

picture.php

MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone !

Peace on earth,
starke

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts