What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Starke's Story: An LED Tale

starke

Hey FSG: Lenses on the four center cobs are 90s. I believe the lenses on the perimeter cobs are 120s.

Hmm , that's whats I don't get about their reasoning, you would think that the light spread would be wider in the center and focalized in the edges to "stop " the light from" running away " I think that without those lenses you would be able to keep your light at the same distance but without fear of bleaching , like in my case with no lenses , i can get them as close as 16 inches , something to ponder about ;-) . FSG

starke

Weekly Update (Flower Day 21)

Weekly Update (Flower Day 21)

We are at the end of the third week of flower and the ladies continue to do well. I did what I consider a major defol today - although those diehard defol fans will probably think I removed nothing at all. Filled a six gallon container with trim though from the four plants.

Will be going out of town for the Thanksgiving holiday so there will be no update next week. I'm fortunate the same young lady who house sat for us in August and did such a good job with the plants will be staying here again. I'm excited to see what they will look like after a week.

Last Week:

Today after defol:

Trim removed:

Peace,
starke

Keep up the good work! I have found plants have no problem growing leaves.... defoaliation allows more light to penetrate the canopy. This is especially helpful indoors where we are trying to get the most out of our lights. Some of the better advice I got with defoaliation is to leave the top 2 sets of leaves alone, and strip all fan leaves below that. If you clip the top two it will slow down growth. Honestly with healthy plants, give aggressive defoaliation a try with one plant. End result from my trials is better developed mid canopy and popcorn if you don't lolly pop. Oh and well grown popcorn makes wonderful bho....

starke

Weekly Update (Flower Day 35)

Weekly Update (Flower Day 35)

Thanks Tipunch and FrozenFire.

Survived Thanksgiving with the inlaws and outlaws and the girls survived the misses and I being away. Today marks the end of the fifth week of flower. Once again the young lady who house sits for us did a superb job with the girls and they have continued to put on buds.

All growing parameters have remained the same for the last two weeks and the girls seem happy. This is a nine or ten week strain so we are right around the halfway point. The buds are stacking nicely and have begun frosting up. The funky lemon smell is begining to come on strong. Keeping my fingers crossed I get to run this grow out the full nine or ten weeks.

Two weeks ago:

Today:

Peace,
starke

saitama

Thanks Tipunch and FrozenFire.

Survived Thanksgiving with the inlaws and outlaws and the girls survived the misses and I being away. Today marks the end of the fifth week of flower. Once again the young lady who house sits for us did a superb job with the girls and they have continued to put on buds.

All growing parameters have remained the same for the last two weeks and the girls seem happy. This is a nine or ten week strain so we are right around the halfway point. The buds are stacking nicely and have begun frosting up. The funky lemon smell is begining to come on strong. Keeping my fingers crossed I get to run this grow out the full nine or ten weeks.

Two weeks ago:

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=74615&pictureid=1800957&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Today:

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=74615&pictureid=1804605&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Peace,
starke

really impressive stuff here. You got some nice training technique.

Wow the girls look great , nothing but waiting now , are you adding any p/k boost at the 7 week mark (your pheno is a 9 'er right ? Keep the pics coming , thanks for sharing, FSG.

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Looks nice in here! Sorry for the bad prior luck! Lets see this make it through!

starke

Thanks everyone. Going to keep plugging along with my fingers crossed for four or five more weeks. Happy to say Hurricane Season officially ended yesterday so that's one less PITA to worry about. Let's see, only worries left now are nutes... light... humidity... dark...spider mites... broad mites...russet mites... thrips... root aphids...:biggrin:

starke

After almost 4 years I finally had to retire the Samsung Galaxy s3 since the charge port had become so sloppy it took standing on my head to get the damn thing to charge. Splurged and got the Galaxy s8 which is supposed to have a much improved camera. It's only fair that I conduct a small camera test so here are a couple of Day 40 bud shots.

Peace,
starke

starke

Weekly Update (Flower Day 42)

Weekly Update (Flower Day 42)

Today marks the end of the sixth week of flower. Ladies are doing well and the buds have begun to fatten some. Trichs continue to build and they are developing a definite lemony/dirty socks kind of funk.

I'm going to back the feed down a bit to about 650ppm/.5 as I'm seeing a touch of leaf tip burn. I've also got the beginnings of some type of deficiency on two of the plants that I think might be Mg but I'm not sure. Any input on the photo below appreciated.

I'm guessing about three weeks to harvest but that will be entirely determined by trich color. Several branches have begun leaning seriously so it's time for some string and stakes this weekend.

Last Week:

Today:

Deficiency?

Peace,
starke

starke

The light is at 42 inches right now and that seems to have alleviated most of the bleaching. I have about another 8 inches of height left if I need it.

starke

On the next run I'm going to experiment in two inch increments and answer that question while in veg.

Jon Star

Hmm , that's whats I don't get about their reasoning, you would think that the light spread would be wider in the center and focalized in the edges to "stop " the light from" running away " I think that without those lenses you would be able to keep your light at the same distance but without fear of bleaching , like in my case with no lenses , i can get them as close as 16 inches , something to ponder about ;-) . FSG

Hey this is a bit late, but just want to clarify that its the opposite. The outer lenses are 90 degree and the middle four lenses are 120degrees. Not sure about newer versions.

Even if the lenses were changed, bleaching would still happen. the lights is INTENSE. It's very strange, most growers do not get bleaching and i've seen these lights run at 6" to canopy before in a racked grow. no bleaching whatsoever. I also see many growers at the recommended 24" with no bleaching at all.

starke

Jon: I assure you if I ran these lights at 6 inches I would cook the plants. At 24 the bleaching would be severe. At 36 I still get slight bleaching. Thanks for the info on the lenses.