What's new

Starbucks funding anti-marijuana lobbying.

Starbucks funding anti-marijuana lobbying.

• Yes!

Votes: 268 94.0%
  • No.

Votes: 10 3.5%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 7 2.5%

• Total voters
K

Kola Radical

Just boycott all large corporations. We don't need 'em anyway.

Buy Local.

ghostly

Drink Kona Coffee...

Drink Kona Coffee...

Starbucks has people cracked the f^c* out, I dont know if our boycott will hurt em much, but...
their stock is down today.
The Big Island is hurting right now, you can help the great people there during the boycott by drinking Kona Coffee instead (smoke a lil Kona Gold too while your at it, if you got it)

ps...I burned a phatty outside of Bubba Gump's Alii dr., Kona a few weeks ago... I had no idea they were supporting our oppression, I just thought there food sucked ass! (which is why i left without paying the bill)

chemdd

starbucks has always been a corporatewhore, fuck them...at least walmart hasnt joined in yet lol we might be fucked

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Gypsy, I would like to ask if my conduct warranted being banned from your forum?

If not, may I have my account unlocked so I can continue posting my TRIUNE of MEN journal ?

Dude you should have thought of the consequence before you got banned. We have Mods for a reason. Skip is probably one of the most lenient

Totah Sam

Perhaps but, obviously not when he allows his passions to over ride common sense and reason.
Look back at all the lies and accusations leveled against me and tell me I wasn't right to stand up and defend myself against them.
SKIP allowed those accusations to continue unabated.

Answer me this, why are those who leveled unsubstantiated and false claims against ME still members while I, who merely defended myself against those attacks have been banned? Could it be due his friendship with those individuals?

Dude. Let it the fuck go. Nobody gives a shit. You were being an ass and were called on it. Suck it up. Be a man and quit bitching like an old woman. Jesus.

Totah Sam

Back to the subject. I got an email from Safer saying they are calling off the boycott on Starbucks. I guess Starbucks issued a public statement that they are not backing marijuana prohibition. Ha! The mouse that roared. :D

J

JackTheGrower

I am very proud of you all.

StarBucks is also a public supporter against Unions.

I do go get the free coffee grinds and compost with them. It's nice if you are a true organic soil enthusiast to have that much material available for free.

Back on the activism side. Love it rolling along.. I too take on folks everywhere I go.. I announce at karaoke to register to vote here in California. I often speak with strangers on making positive changes in Cannabis freedom.

The point is each of us can make a difference in our own communities. Come out of the Cannabis Closet and have Cannabis Pride!
A little self respect will help us grow!
Oh and support big box Organic Soil.. . It's endangered! Just a dirty bit of humor :)

~fvk~

the Lion is going Guerrilla...
This thread is a real trip... This is a non issue for me considering I've never bought coffee from Starbucks anyways, but I will indefinitely continue not to.

The thing with paying taxes is, it's virtually impossible not to in one way or the other. Most generally, governments at each and every level physically threaten your livelihood if you don't, and most people stand divided in their fears related to the repercussions of not obeying the 'minority of the majority.' It's not us who threatens to act against them, it's them who threaten us with aggression against the right to individually govern one's own life, therefore any form of counter is more than justifiable. I think it's time more people start overcoming this fear if we are ever actually to get anywhere, instead of basically having to plead for our rights and hope that we can make a strong well funded case against those who stand prejudiced against us. It would completely negate issues like this from ever arising. If people didn't want 'cannabis martyrs' like Eddy Lepp to be confined for something so trivial, they shouldn't have let him. Just saying.

So yeah, Dongle makes a pretty good point.

W

Wasabi420

shit i bought starbucks today. its a dmn shame what they are doing. they do make good coffee though..............FUCK

thc43

Veteran
just on the news here in OZ but strange how shit gets mixed from up country to country no real mention of the boycott was a mention of there being more pot cafe than starbucks cafe lol in cal.

seem to be jumping up and down because its easier to get pot than it is coffee.

never used starbucks thank god there pretty much a unknown over here.. except in the city but i cant recall seeing one of late.. guess we just have too many coffee shops privately owned that have a good following.

sackoweed

I took anger management already!!!! FUCK!!!
Veteran
i know a person that works for starbucks and is indeed a puffer of the lovely lovely herbs.. And has not said anything about that.. I need to find out if he knows anything... wow... peace..

sackO

vta

Veteran
Hey...what do you know, Starbucks released a statement. Looks like they got a ton of flack over this.

pulled from another mj site
"This organization is apparently targeting us because a local law enforcement organization in Colorado posted our logo on their website. Starbucks has not taken a position on their issue," the statement said. "We have a tremendous amount of respect for the men and women of local law enforcement. However, we have not sponsored this particular organization through our foundation. It is up to the discretion of our local teams to support those groups that are relevant in their neighborhoods. Our stores often support organizations in their community by donating coffee for their events."

vta

Veteran
here is the entire story
Marijuana advocates: Boycott Starbucks
Seattle co. says effort is misguided

By CHRIS GRYGIEL
SEATTLEPI.COM STAFF

Proponents of legalized marijuana in Colorado are calling for a nationwide boycott of Starbucks because they say the Seattle-based coffee company supports an organization that is trying to thwart the use of pot for medical purposes in that state.

On Thursday a pro marijuana group held a news conference in front of a Denver Starbucks to draw attention to what it says are ties between the company and the Colorado Drug Investigators Association.

"It's no surprise that law enforcement organizations and their leaders -- whose jobs are dependent on maintaining the war on marijuana -- are lobbying to kill state-licensed medical marijuana dispensaries. But Starbucks and other companies' funding of this war should strike any marijuana consumer or reform supporter as truly appalling. It's time to stand up and send them all a message," Mason Tvert, head of SAFER (Safer Alternative For Enjoyable Recreation), said in a statement.

Starbucks says the effort is misguided. The company does not provide financial support to the Colorado law enforcement group, Starbucks said in a statement.

"This organization is apparently targeting us because a local law enforcement organization in Colorado posted our logo on their website. Starbucks has not taken a position on their issue," the statement said. "We have a tremendous amount of respect for the men and women of local law enforcement. However, we have not sponsored this particular organization through our foundation. It is up to the discretion of our local teams to support those groups that are relevant in their neighborhoods. Our stores often support organizations in their community by donating coffee for their events."

The Colorado Drug Investigators Association Web site, which apparently listed other national and Colorado companies besides Starbucks as backers, is no longer working.

This week the Washington state Legislature killed bills that would've legalized and decriminalized marijuana use in this state, however local voters may get a chance to weigh in on this issue this fall. Proponents of a citizens imitative that would ask state residents whether they want to legalize pot are trying to get enough signatures to put the question before voters in November.

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
What they are saying with "We haven't taken a position" is FUCK YOU MJ we are with GUNS, ALCOHOL, & BIG PHARMA!

Peace, :joint:

Let's keep it real...

Let's keep it real...

How many of you guys actually called Starbucks to find out their position? I called their corporate hotline and was stuck in a waiting line for about 4 minutes. I put my journalism skills to work and objectively asked "Where can I find a statement that clarifies Starbucks' position about medical marijuana and/or the matter about the law enforcement agency that pointed the company out as their sponsor?"

Well... the answer was simple and clear. That sponsorship was the work of a local franchise and in no way represents the corporation's position. Now, does this mean that what the rep (who read me an official statement) was telling me the truth? NO! It doesn't. But, does a bunch of concerned, scared, or angry stoners = "Starbucks is up to no good"? NO! It doesn't! What it means is that folks are allowing hype to trump fact. That means that we're easily manipulated and weak.

Basically, my point is that our movement would be better off if we kept cool, avoided belief in unsubstantiated conspiracy theories, and focused our wrath upon the true villains. It isn't like our real adversaries hide their identities. WE are the ones that must hide in order to preserve our liberty.

Yeah, let's hammer the fiends whose guilt is actually demonstrated.

Word,

MegaBong

Nearly fell off my seat laughing at the irony of a gun manufacturer, Glock, lobbying against marijuana. They surely cannot believe that producing and manufacturing machines that serve no purpose other than to kill or maim people is ok, but smoking weed isn't? Damn they really must be the most stupid, short-sighted bunch of idiots I've ever heard of.

Spread the word, boycott them all. People power always wins in the end.

Peace

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran
One very good thing about this boycott, regardless if anyone thinks it was warranted or not, It will certainly discourage other organizations from taking an anti medical MJ stance in the future. It shows that medical MJ advocates are organized and have become a force to be reckoned with politically.

Good job to all who participated in this boycott.

I agree 100%, Aerohead. It *seems* that Starbucks HQ had nothing to do with this controversy. Now, who should we be focusing on? Which corporations out there really are our enemies? We all know how industrialists feared hemp (as a competitor to nylon) way back in the day? Aside from law enforcement which lobbies are actively organized against us now? That's what I'd love to know.

They must learn to fear us.