What's new

Stanley Blower Fan Mod

thanks irrie..i just wasnt sure if it was to restricting and if it was a little, would it burn up my mottor in the blower ...its not really a redusser the box ,its more a way to connect it all together..

funny the wife and i always ask if we are ready toget irrie..jamaca is our dream vacca..never been yet but someday i would love to lay on the beach there and get irrie..yaa mon ...haha

thanks again..

herb weedmen..

DHarvester

herb weedmen said:
hey folks just wondering..i hooked a cardboard box up tto the exhaust end and added a 4 inch plastic dryer exhaust pipe ..the ones with the coiled wire running threw it..

In my grow, I think that the things that I buy and use most often are:

Dryer vent hose...Always tweaking with the intake/exhaust
Duct Tape...Mankinds most important creation
Foil Tape...Godamn light leaks...everywhere there's a Godamn little pinhole light leak!
Bungee Cords...Nuf Said!
Zip Ties...Mankinds second most important creation

And last but, definately not least!!!!
Tie Wire....LOL...Lots of Tie Wire...

...Stanley Blower, piece of cardboard, duct tape, dryer hose, more duct tape, hangers for the hose made out of tie wires, zip ties to hang it, and also, bungee cords to hang the blower up... :headbange

Yeah, I think your ok...LOL :friends:

D.

darrinjefferson

i just bought this one....thought it was the other one.
this model would work, but is pretty weak. the other is much easier to mod.
im going to return it and get the other one.

it could be uased in smaller grows. it is very quiet.

dontstepongrass

M.U.R.D.A. / FMB crew
Veteran
i just did the 1 side only mod by disassembling and making 4 holes as DOPEST suggested.
this will suit my application perfectly although, it seems to lose a bit of cfm's after the mod.

thanks a bunch guys!

MPL

Drill more holes. It might work better.

dontstepongrass said:
i just did the 1 side only mod by disassembling and making 4 holes as DOPEST suggested.
this will suit my application perfectly although, it seems to lose a bit of cfm's after the mod.

thanks a bunch guys!

dontstepongrass

M.U.R.D.A. / FMB crew
Veteran
noted. but it is doing what i need it to now. i dropped 6 degrees in my box today! i love those ventilation "eureka" moments

growdak

Hey Dopest,

My stanley is pushing out air in the top of my Sunhut XL (4x4x7) thru a 4 inch exhaust currently. I have a 4inch vortex cooling my enclosed 600watt that doesnt exchange air with the tent.

I think you might be using the same carbon filter attached to the Stanley that I want to use. The DIY one from:
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=31679&page=1&pp=15&highlight=diy+carbon

I was wonder if you could post your measurements. Was it a 6inch core, 8 inch outside and 24 inches in length? If so, how has this been working for you?

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
42896Photo_071908_001_fan.JPG

I did some measuring of the grill on the intake side. The grill takes up a full 7.5 sq inches of space. This is some serious blockage, especially when the total hole without the grill is only 19.6 sq inches.
These grills must come out!

I attached a 6" starter collar to mine with 4 small holes and wood screws. I then caulked the inside well and there are no leaks.
42896Photo_071908_002.JPG

I have two of these in my attic with 6" flex duct down to my cab. One passive for the veg chamber and AC exhaust of my cab, the other for the ballast and flower chambers. If no AC, one will do the job.

blanonamous

i couldn't quote the pictures, but one of dopest mods has a carbon filter right up against the stanley blower. how did he do this?

what pieces do you use to connect the filter right up close to the blower like that?

I'm gonna connect my carbon filter in the flower room (of cabinet) and have a small room above that where the blower sits and exhausts the air right out the back of the cab.

was hoping to keep everything tightly together and not have too many ducting pieces. i'll probably use durbanposion's dyi carbon filter.

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The last picture that I posted...that is how you would connect a carbon scrubber.
The scrubber would need to have a 6" intake in this instance. You could change the starter collar to a 4" for a smaller scrubber, but you loose efficiency and air flow.

You could stick the collar straight down through a 6"+ hole into the top of the flower chamber and attach the scrubber to it from there. Couple of sheet metal screws would hold it in place.
Other than that, you will need to suspend the scrubber once attached to the blower, if you plan on having it in the horiz. position. Not enough meat to the blower to hold up such an item.

B

basement420

Just wanted to let everyone know that walmart seems to have them on sale right now as it is starting to get cooler out. I got one today for $15 marked down from $40

yeah i scored a few fans the other day ..i paid 3 bucks for 1 and 7 for another ..thats a steal on the blowers tho ..i am off to wally world ..always nice to have an extra one of those blowers around ..i can use it to dry my outdoor grow ...

thanks for the heads up ...

herb weedmen

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
Boondocks said:
Hi everyone!!
I was wondering if anyone has used the smaller Stanley personal blower it has 2 speeds but i cant find any info about the cfm output. I am setting up a 150hps in a dresser the big boy stanley might be overkill heres a link for Stanleys lil bro http://www.ambientweather.com/il655302.html thanks!!!!!

I havent seen those before. Looks like a good solution for a smaller setup. Thx for posting the link.

S

ShoeboxSherman

Pleased

Pleased

Nice fan, hooked it up to exhaust a closed hood; 400W CMH in a 2.75'x2.75'x5.23 grow tent. So far temps inside are about 4 degrees F above ambient; running in the 71 - 74 F range. I used the 10"x3.25"x6" register duct, did not make holes in the baffle between cages. I have some exhaust noise, kind of sounds like the furnace blowing. Maybe some insulating wrap will knock that down.

Many thanks to the OP and everyone that shared the great ideas. Much appreciated.

akuira

I finally found one of these at a local Ace Hardware and am in the process of doing some of the minor modifications that I have found throughout this LONG thread... I agree with hoosierdaddy about the intakes grating, that was the first thing I thought about when I opened it up... i'm a little unclear on a few of these mods though

my cab is based off of tick's sogg'n box, only smaller, 4'W x 4'H x 1.75'D... i've had a lot of trouble with temps as i went with a standard bathroom fan from lowes (70cfm), and after knocking out two 3" holes on each side along with my 30"x6" return air vent on the back, i've decided to toss the bathroom fan. i built a cooltube using a 6" hurricane tube (16" long, making it suitable for a 400W MH bulb as well as the 400W HPS lamp), got it from hobbylobby. anyway, heres my questions:

1- i'm thinking that my best bet is going to be to using 6" flex ducting for both intake and outtake(allowing more air to travel through the ducting)... so the 6" intake would connect to one end of the cooltube and the other end be open. my question is, with this setup will the one fan be adequate for venting my cab? i dont mean as far as heat, thats not going to be my concern, just is the air being recycled 3-5 times a minute?

2- if i have my blower mounted inside of the cab, say at the top corner using bungees, is the motor side of the intake going to be able to pull air through those small holes on that side? i mean the opening on that side of the blower is madd restricted, i was thinking to open it up a good bit to make improve that sides efficiency... anyone tried this? would it work?

3- i'm just not understanding the reason for doing the mod to pull from one side only, it seems to me that you would want that extra side to cycle out the air at the top of the cab... right? there must be something i'm not understanding...

thanks in advance for any and all help and/or opinions!

*edit* one more quick question, as far as "knocking out" a 6" hole for duct, what would i use to make a hole that big? the biggest hole saw i have is 5" and i haven't found any 6" hole saws that are under $30 at homedepot i believe, is there any other way for me to make a 6" hole in both my cab (5/8" plywood) and in my ceiling? thanks

Last edited: