What's new

Stanley Blower Fan Mod

Uncle Remus

Here's mine:

Just reworked the setup...I think the sharp 90deg bend on the exhaust was causing vibration in the closet...Sounded like a subwoofer in a car going down the street

I relocated the fan and now have a gentler bend in the duct and the sound is MUCH quieter...And here I bitched about the fan being too loud
:spank:

DAMN I hate when I screw up :muahaha:

Last edited:
I got a custom stanley rocking but some times low is too much "noise" - anyone hooked up a "speed controller / dimmer" to adjust the speed ?

Is it possible to just splice on into the power cord ?

Thanks

heya tactical farmer!

i got the stanley crankin out some serious cfm in a small cab. went with the harbor freight router speed control but it makes the stanley humm. as soon as i switch it to control the speed it humms more than a 1000w ballast. it makes less noise with the lowest setting and all the wind noise. best bet would be a DIY muffler to control the wind noise because other than that it's a solid very quiet blower. gets my best bang for the buck award! :headbange

stke :joint:

Thanks for that info - Kinda strange though, Harbor Freight is the chit but some of there products are pretty low end (but damn there cheap). maybe that was the problem ?

The Stanley would be even greater with a speed controller - anyone else ?

i wish bro! i'm working out of a small cab. the vent noise isn't an issue with me though. i'd like it for helping with temp more than noise. the biggest noise difference was when i made a muffler, that sucker is quiet. my pc makes more noise than my grow. with the door closed to the room it's quiet enough to hear the water dripping into the res.

on the speed controler thought...
i think it's the type of motor that the stanley uses, the speed controller says "'NOT FOR USE ON BRUSHLESS MOTORS". IDK but when i heard the whine i knew something wasn't right n said no thanks. made a muffler and was happy.

Has anyone done a side by side test to see what the approx CFM is?
Is it compareable to the 440 dayton? Is it more. I doubt it it pulls the 2000 it says it does and in the beginning of this thread someone said it was compareable to a 265cfm.
I know its a neat fan but I want it to work.
If anyone has a comparable number lets have it.

SomeGuy

668, Neighbor of the Beast
I found these specs at Northern Tool, nothing posted at Lasko who is the manufacturer.

190 / 260 / 310

Funny when I did a google search this thread popped up on the top ten!

Pirate

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death !!
Veteran
stke_fingas said:
i wish bro! i'm working out of a small cab. the vent noise isn't an issue with me though. i'd like it for helping with temp more than noise. the biggest noise difference was when i made a muffler, that sucker is quiet. my pc makes more noise than my grow. with the door closed to the room it's quiet enough to hear the water dripping into the res.

on the speed controler thought...
i think it's the type of motor that the stanley uses, the speed controller says "'NOT FOR USE ON BRUSHLESS MOTORS". IDK but when i heard the whine i knew something wasn't right n said no thanks. made a muffler and was happy.

How would one go about making a muffler ??

Thanks in advance.

Pirate :headbangeIN & Rollin

T

TwinTurboGuy

The amazing thing about these fans is that they are now on sale at walmart for 12 dollars! I bought 3 of them!

Now I'm wondering, are these fans good for pulling air out?

varriform

Hey everybody
I read this thread from the beginning and I have a couple questions. I have never used any kind of scrubber or ventilation for that matter so I don't know much about ventilation and carbon filtering. I have one of these stanleys and I am planning on running a carbon filter into the fan and then out a already present 4inch hole in my ceiling. I think anyways, like I said I don't know anything about this kind of stuff so I am opened to ideas.
Let me explain my setup. It is a closet measuring about 4 and a half feet wide, 4 feet deep and 8 feet high. There is a 4 inch hole in the cieling which leads directly into the addict, so it seems that it would make sense to use that for exhaust. Right now I am only running 2 150w lights with enclosed ballasts isolated into a corner of the room, but I will be upgrading to 400w hps very soon so I should plan around that. I have always just opened the closet at lights on and closed it at lights off, using nothing but circulation fans. I have managed this with 150w lights but it wont fly with a 400w. As it is my temps reach highs of 84 a couple inches below the lights and ocassionaly the 100's when I am not able to open the door.

Since I have the fan already I know I can just exhaust out of that hole but I would really like to tackle odor at the same time. If I were to set up a carbon filter, should it be, air in room>filter>fan>exhaust out the room? Also what size carbon filter should I use for this fan? I am thinking about just buying a filter instead of making a DIY so how should I go about that? Any reccomendations? What size? Like I said, I don't know shit about this kind of stuff. Will I need an actual intake into the room to level the pressue if I am exhausting out? Is it pretty easy to make a DIY scrubber?

I was going to buy a cheap intake fan and carbon filter set-up but I already have this stanley so that seems kinda wasteful.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Peace

MPL

Mine is pulling great. If they're really only $12 I think I might go grab a couple more to keep.

TwinTurboGuy said:
The amazing thing about these fans is that they are now on sale at walmart for 12 dollars! I bought 3 of them!

Now I'm wondering, are these fans good for pulling air out?

varriform

I saw some at W-Mart earlier and they were $40.

Another question. If I bought a new 175cfm fan and filter, could the stanley be used as intake? Or would it being stronger than the other mess things up?
sorry for all the questions

DHarvester

Hey all.

Tried starting another thread with my question but got no responses there...

1. Anyone know what the power draw is on one of these blowers?

2. do the different speeds draw different amounts of power?

many thanks if anyone can offer a helping hand.

ConceptOfSleep

Hey everyone. I have had this blower, with the modification for a few months, but have not yet had the chance/need to use it.

However, due to relocating Im now going to need it. I have a new cab I'm building with the following dimensions:
3 ftLong x 2 ftDeep x 5 ftHigh

Im also using a 400w light with a batwing reflector with the ballast outside of the cab.

My question is this:
would this blower work to create a negative pressure environment in the cab once it is sealed? I was hoping to be able to use a passive intake by using a large grate (like an air conditioning floor vent) with light traps as the passive. Previously I used an air cooled light in a lerger space, so Ive never had it pull duty like this.

So do you think the blower would adequetly exchange the air in the cab? (id use the formula of exhanging the air 3-5 times per minute, but I am unsure of the actual CFM of the blower as Ive seen a bunch of different ratings in this thread)

Thank you for any input :joint:

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
DHarvester said:
Hey all.

Tried starting another thread with my question but got no responses there...

1. Anyone know what the power draw is on one of these blowers?

2. do the different speeds draw different amounts of power?

many thanks if anyone can offer a helping hand.

Both you and Pirate's questions are answered earlier in this thread. I know it's long but I have faith in you.

hey folks just wondering..i hooked a cardboard box up tto the exhaust end and added a 4 inch plastic dryer exhaust pipe ..the ones with the coiled wire running threw it..my q's are these..

1) i hook a hefty garbage bag box 6 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 11 1/2 [inches]that fits perfected over the exhaust end and is then duct taped my dryer line at the other end of the box..sorry no pics....

is or dose this sound safe or ok..i ran it for about 15 minutes yesterday with no trouble..but this test was not done under growing conditions..

i'll be running this exhaust down the wall and out my floor..and under my home..i am not running any scrubbers or filters threw this and had read this whole thread a couple times now and think it should be ok with all i've seen everyone else had hooked to this little blower..huh stanly built tough..ask any indoor pot grower..haha..

thanks for any replys ..i no its an old thread but its still active..

herb weedmen

Last edited:

iriebowl

well if your asking if you can use cardboard to connect your blower to the dryer exhaust then I dont see why not. I rigged up some cardboard to connect my stanley to my 4" ducting and have no problems at all. It looks just like a modded register duct but its made of cardboard instead of sheet metal. All I used was cardboard, foil tape, and a tiny bit of steel strapping.

stay irie