What's new

Stanley Blower Fan Mod

tree d

Aside from cleaning the dust off the wheel, I have had no problems with mine and I have run it full speed, under heavy load for 24/7 for almost 4 years.
The thing is still as quiet as the day I bought it and a complete work horse.

(RANT WARNING)
About Walmart:

* People who work at walmart are borderline unemployable and earn what they deserve.
* Water always seeks its own level.
* Here in America employment is at will, they choose to work under those conditions.
* Those that want to earn more, pay attention in school and put an emphasis on higher education.
* If you want $31.50 an hour plus full health benefits to bag groceries or push shopping carts: Go work for one of the many unionized supermarkets that are destroying the American workforce and effectively pricing us out of the competitive market.
* Unions with high pay and good health care should be for skilled employees, not people who don't have 2 brain cells to rub together and could barely dig a ditch without supervision.

JMO

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
hey, tranerek

hey, tranerek

have you ever encountered a light switch that has a round knob and you turn it to get different light intensities? that is a rheostat. less than 10 bucks at lowes or home depot. it allows you to dial down the power. i've used them on fans before. item #211634 at lowes.

Jesse Pinkman

Bought one today for $45. Not on clearance unfortunately. Anyway, they're not noisy at all at the lowest setting. It moves a lot of air so you can hear that. The sound "belongs" more than axial fans that whine and move a shitload more air that's for sure. I'm off to buy some ducting.

TraneRek

Thanks Delta, I'll have to look into that...

-Rek :rasta:

PS- Jesse, when it has some back pressure to work against, like when it's hooked up to a carbon scrubber, it will automatically readjust itself to get the same amount of air flow. This makes it louder than when it's on its own. Just thought I'd give ya a heads up.

Jesse Pinkman

Thanks Delta, I'll have to look into that...

PS- Jesse, when it has some back pressure to work against, like when it's hooked up to a carbon scrubber, it will automatically readjust itself to get the same amount of air flow. This makes it louder than when it's on its own. Just thought I'd give ya a heads up.

Thanks for the heads up. I did test it out by blocking the exhaust with my hands but it's still not too bad for a closet imo.

I attached a 5" to 4" reducer (Home Depot - $6) directly to the intake grill then used Great Stuff (Home Depot - $4) to fill the gap. I then trimmed the excess with an Exacto knife. Pics to come later

Jesse Pinkman

Screw locations to disassemble Stanley blower

1 on the handle:
p1000953medium.jpg

Slide
the two rubber feet off to reveal a screw on each "foot"
p1000954medium.jpg

Great Stuff provides an air-tight seal around the 5" to 4" duct adapter:
p1000947medium.jpg

Stanley Blower awaiting a clamp to attach 4" flexible dryer vent ducting to the 5" to 4" adapter. I'm running mine outside of my cab.
p1000950medium.jpg

Just got my Stanley hooked up today and it is working great! I don't need all that power though and might look into that dial to adjust the speed. I'm working on a budget so your posts saved me a good amount of money and the conversion was simple. Thanks guys

Could any of you that have hooked a carbon scrubber to the Stanley tell me what is the best design for this fan. I have seen many DIY designs out there but want to know what has worked for YOU with this fan, to eliminate any more trial and error.... My room stinks and I need to know it will work as soon as I hook it up.... Also is there any way to use great stuff if I lost the straw? I have 2 unused cans but both are strawless.... Thanks for any and all input.

TraneRek

Sorry Yoda, my scrubber design is half-assed at the moment My cab has a flower chamber, and a utility chamber above it where all my power cords, fan, etc are. All I did was shove activated carbon (which is in some pantyhose) into the holes connecting the two chambers. As long as it's sealed properly, all the air has to pass through the carbon before exhausting out of the cab. It creates a lot of back pressure though, which is why I'm going to change after this grow.

Jesse, I'm curious as to why you went from 5" to 4".. Do they not make 5" ducting?

I might have to try that, the smell is pretty bad(In my closet I might add, with my clothes) and I don't want to rush to make a scrubber and F it up, I just need a quick fix for now so I have time to make a well thought out scrubber.... So thanks TraneRek maybe that'll do the trick

Jesse Pinkman

Sorry Yoda, my scrubber design is half-assed at the moment My cab has a flower chamber, and a utility chamber above it where all my power cords, fan, etc are. All I did was shove activated carbon (which is in some pantyhose) into the holes connecting the two chambers. As long as it's sealed properly, all the air has to pass through the carbon before exhausting out of the cab. It creates a lot of back pressure though, which is why I'm going to change after this grow.

Jesse, I'm curious as to why you went from 5" to 4".. Do they not make 5" ducting?

I'm sure they do somewhere, but my Home Depot didnt have any 5" starter collars or even 5" duct connectors...only 4" or 6" :noway:. I already had the 4" dryer ducting. My cab is pretty small so it works fine. I just need to hook up the exhaust and build some kind of muffler (sound of air flowing is pretty noisy).

hey community i had one of these sittin brand new in the box 25 bucks...does anyone know how many watts these use at low med and high settings?

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
That information should be on the box.

On the electrical info sheet for the motor (there is one somewhere) there will be a rating stated as FLA or "Full Load Amps". Although watts and amps don't equate, it is possible to know the watts used if you know the amps and voltage.

Full load amps is where the motor runs when it is stressed and pulling hard as it can. Similar to covering the end of a vacuum cleaner while running...it gets louder and puts out all it can with all it can get and no more.
A motor will run at anywhere between 70-80% of that FLA rating during a normal run with no stress.

So, if you have a motor with a FLA rating of .5 amps, then all you need to do to figure full load wattage is to multiply the full load amps X the voltage to get the watts.
Example: .5 FLA x 110volts = 55 watts (at full load). But remember that the motor only runs at about 70-80% of that number when it is not under a load.

I am not a licensed electrician.

I

icon

awsome thanx a bunch one Q. I think someone wrote that if theres resistance the motor/air slows down is this so???

Latest posts

Latest posts