What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sour Diesel Vs. New York City Diesel

Niemand

hazyfontazy said:
nycd is a great weed,,,so is ecsd

I will agree with that.....

BUT they are 2 different weeds!

Just research Soma's story and 2 things stick out

1)There is no way to prove ECSD lineage
2)I "believe" there were 3 different phenos in his story....

Which would leave me to believe at best it was an ECSD cross.....

Now.... Before Rez (All praises to the Most High for Rez's contributions) the first real "taste" of ECSD came from ThSeeds Adam (from A'dam :joint: ) and his Sage and Sour which used verifiable ECSD! For awhile Amnesia (Coffeeshop) was selling the same verifiable ECSD.....

NOTHING subtle about it!! I found NYCD more grapefruit than diesel and if we are using ECSD as the basis (and not what we imagine diesel fumes would taste like if smoked) then there is very little "diesel" taste in NYCD.... Maybe 1/10 of the deez taste of Sage and Sour......

Out of them ALL..... I liked my "Mercedes" Diesel Pheno of Omega Diesel BEST! And I would give my left testicle to get IT back! Im going to try the Alpha Diesel.......

But having grown and smoked them all........

There is NO MISTAKING the Deez..... IF you have smoked the deez!!

Otherwise it's easy to be confused with degrees........

But.....IMHO..... NYCD is a very nice strain and is MANY peoples favorites!

It's just no ECSD :rasta:

C

CamEleven

I havn't grown either, but have smoked both and am a big fan of both. I have smoked NYCD that haven't been extremely potent, but have smoked a few really good batches (potency, taste, etc.). On the other hand SD is probably in my top 3... everytime I smoked official SD it has been better than any NYCD. The SD I get from this dude is a true one hitter (and I'm a heavy smoker).... So in my books its SD all way no exceptions.

I was gifted a NYCD clone and it is curing now.Great smell and resin production,very nice so far.Heres a pic. :rasta:
:joint: I love my ECSD mom.The taste is great when grown to full ripeness,and a total stinker. :joint: Heres some ECSD dry bud and live. :joint:

..I dont know witch i like better yet,but it will be hard to surpass my Sour D.Peace and stay safe,PVP :wave:

Babombeez

I've grown them both, and I've got to say that I would much rather smoke ECSD, as it has the most candylike delicious sour taste, reminiscent of OG Kush, which lingers on the tongue....

Soma's NYCD was beautiful to grow, she changed some nice red and purple hues (just as the ECSD did, but the flavor just didn't impress me that much. I am not super fond of tangerine tasting strains, as the NYCD was like grapefruit on the palate... One of my good friend's girlfriend was very fond of the taste, she said it reminded her of Christmas trees... go figure...

Perhaps you just had the Diesel, and people are getting it confused with Soma's version...

Everyone likes different things though, thanks for the smoke report...

Beez

Last edited:

REZDOG

Veteran
I've grown just about all of Soma's NYCD releases,and as you all know,I adore the Sour Diesel Clone.
(Yes,Soma's NYCD has been 'worked'...the first release,way back,was a simple outcross to the Affie-Hawaiian male he was given, Shanti. The second release was a BX to his 'NYCD' Mom.
Soma's NYCD and the Sour Diesel Clone are not,really,related. There are some (vague) similarities,but none that suggest any strong relationship,whatsoever.
Soma's NYCD outyields,per m2,the SD Clone,by far. The Affie on the initial out-cross father's side added nice bulk. I've done the same thing,adding bulk to the SD Clone,but I used other,usually 'elite' out-cross Moms for the SD pollen (from my own SD releases.)
As to the high,Authentic Sour Diesel easily whips NYCD's ass,hands-down. Soma would tell you,candidly,that NYCD isn't really strong, it's really tasty and easy to puff frequently,especially if you like fruity,red-grapefruity herb.
The 'ceiling' for the NYCD high is quite low,you have to smoke lots of it to stay 'properly' high. I burned out on 'pure' NYCD long ago,but it mixes well with other herb-I've found it really dominates a 'salad'.

Cheers!

Smoking Gun

Ok, I have some things I need cleared up. First off, lets talk about the NYCD from Soma. I do kinda hate that Soma used NYCD as the name, this one is nothing like the original cut of Diesel that ChemDog was able to share with the world. That cut of Diesel actually tasted like Diesel fuel, the one time I was fortunate enough to have some I thought there was something wrong with the batch of herb, but I had never been higher. But Soma's grapefruity NYCD is nothing like that, it has a much weaker buzz, and the taste and smell are almost polar opposites. But in Ed Rosenthal's Bug Book of bud it says that Soma's NYCD is an (Afghani X Hawaiian) X Sour Diesel. I always figured Soma used the Sour Diesel IBL. Is this the case? If not what does Soma's NYCD consist of.

Now onto the Sour Diesel. I grew up and lived in NY. At one point I bought a few ounces of some herb off of a friend. He didn't know what the strain was, but as soon as I smoked it I did. It had a sweet, tart, lemony, candied flavor with a final taste that was just kinda indescribable and almost shouldn't have even been in Cannabis. The only strain on the planet that this could have been was the real deal Sour Diesel. Since then, I have moved out of NY and have had lots of Sour Diesel; but none of it compares to the Sour D I had in upstate NY. It all has that wonderful lemony diesel taste, but the candied thing is not there, and that diesel flavor is more prominent. I always assumed that every batch I was buying was the Sour Diesel IBL. But I see so many batches labeled ECSD and they look just like the Sour D I have been buying. I am just not sure what is going on. Are there actually 3 different versions of Sour D in existence?

To confuse the issue even more I look into The Big Book of Buds 2 and Reservoir Seeds Sour Diesel is Chemo X Mexican Sativa. Why would this be called Sour Diesel if there is no Diesel in there? Unless Chemo is the same strain as Chem/Dawg, then that makes a little more sense.

Anyway, if there is anyone who could help me clarify the situation that would be great. RezDog I see you on here, maybe you could shed some light on my situation.

REZDOG

Veteran
To Clarify: BBoB fucked WAY UP with My Sour Diesel's lineage,I have No Clue how they fucked it so badly,as I sent them Proper Information to be used.
Soma 's NYCD lineage is also mis-stated in the BBoB,and in fact,he himself mis-states 'Sour Diesel is the mother of NYCD' in his breeding book.
Soma's "NYCD" is:
A bagseed from NYC labelled 'diesel' x Shanti's Affie/Hawaiian male.
No Authentic Sour Diesel ANYWHERE in that formula,PERIOD.

REZDOG

Veteran
To Clarify: BBoB fucked WAY UP with My Sour Diesel's lineage,I have No Clue how they fucked it so badly,as I sent them Proper Information to be used.
Soma 's NYCD lineage is also mis-stated in the BBoB,and in fact,he himself mis-states 'Sour Diesel is the mother of NYCD' in his breeding book.
Soma's "NYCD" is:

Smoking Gun

REZDOG said:
Soma's "NYCD" is:

Rez, thanks for the info on Soma, but what about the Sour D controversy. What is the lineage of your Sour D? If you don't mind divulging that information. And how many different versions of Sour D are floating around?

REZDOG

Veteran
The Sour Diesel Clone's history is widely posted,just use the on-site search engine and you can get the whole convoluted 'Dead Tour' storyline very easily.
There is only One Sour Diesel Clone,but I've been producing Sour Diesel seeds for so many years that I'm sure there's shitloads of of herb out there labelled 'sour diesel' that's not The Clone,but from-seed. In a lot of cases,you can't tell the difference between people's from-seed SD selections and The SD Clone,which is The Whole Point behind Reservoir's Sour Diesel Project.

Cheers!

Sideshow-Bob

Veteran
I like the grapefruit pheno of nyc diesel better than sour D, tastewise... but the high of the sour D is way better (sativaside, alot stronger, only a little short-lasting. whereas nyc d is more on the indicaside, and a bit weak and boring... i've smoked over 5 diffrent selected phenos of it...) and the taste is also great :joint:

but they both are great strains! and it's worth to cross these two, imho ;)

Nyc Diesel:

21805DSC04925-med.JPG

21805MG_6616-med.jpg

Sour Diesel (sour D pheno of my straw d f2s)

21805MG_6757-med.jpg

21805MG_6779-med.jpg

21805MG_6783-med.jpg

and a blend of the two: my nyc diesel x strawberry diesel cross, named sweet&sour Diesel

21805MG_5901-med.jpg

21805MG_5998-med.jpg

21805IMG_7731-med.jpg

greetz

you are one bad evil genius, bob

seems like you're well acquainted with the camera too

and don't be holding back on the smoke report

Soma gave us a whole heap of seeds. Honestly, I was really dissapointed in the NYCD. It took long time to flower and produced only commercial grade herb. Looks nice, smells ok. Tasted like earth and hand rub hash :cuss: BUT it produced WEIGHT (roughly 6oz dry per plant). But what are you going to do with shitty herb? It didnt even make good bubble. At least we didnt have to pay any outrageous prices for shit beans...

NYCD: FLOWERING @ DAY 28. GROWN IN RECIRCULATING DWC.
DSC00999.jpg

tenfoot

REZDOG

Veteran
Nice1s,Bob!
I did a 'sweet n' sour d',years ago,it was SOL's ST#3 x One Diesel or Another,I forget....NYCD does out-cross alright,it at least adds bulk & flavor in lots of cases,but never (sadly) potencey. I outcrossed the Sour D Clone to NYCD,then spent a LONG time breeding the NYCD out.
I'm happy with The Results,as many fo you also seem to be.

Cheers!

Sideshow-Bob

Veteran
Cloud_Strife said:
you are one bad evil genius, bob

seems like you're well acquainted with the camera too

and don't be holding back on the smoke report

Thx man :smile: Ok i'll make some smoke reports for you:

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Strain: Nyc Diesel (grapefruit pheno)
Breeder: Soma
Smell/Taste: this is one of the best tasting/smelling herbs i know... it reeks of red grapefruit aroma, the taste stays in the mouth about 5 minutes after the exhale - i love it :joint:
High: more a stone than a high - as written a bit weak and boring... but that's not too bad, as you can taste more of it :biglaugh:

21805DSC05323-med.JPG

21805MG_4299_copy-med.jpg

Sadly i have lost my mother... i'm still in search of that gf-pheno :puppydoge

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Strain: Strawberry Diesel f2 - Sour Diesel pheno
Breeder: made the f2s myself, the genetic is from reservoir seeds
Taste/Smell: This weed tastes/smells sour, lemony, chemical, fuelish... Just like lemonsoda - very tasty stuff :joint: but as written i like the grapefruit taste of nyc d. a bit better...
High: Very nice and strong Sativa High, it's nearly as psychedelic as a good haze, only a little short-lasting.

21805SourDiesel-bud.jpg

21805lemonsoda-med.jpg

I still could kick myself for not taking clones in the straw. d. f2 run :badday:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Strain: Sweet&sour Diesel
Breeder: a pollenchucker named bob :biglaugh:
Taste/smell: This weed has a very complex taste/smell. it goes from citrusy-grapefruity over fuelish to piney. one can taste something different with every toke :joint:
High: A little more on the sativa-side, when i first smoked it i was amazed how much strength the strawberry d. males brought in. but i was building a tolerance fast when smoking to much of it.

21805MG_6297-med.jpg

21805MG_6296-med.jpg

I still have this pheno around, it's nothing for everyday but really nice to smoke every nbow and then...

REZDOG said:
Nice1s,Bob!
I did a 'sweet n' sour d',years ago,it was SOL's ST#3 x One Diesel or Another,I forget....NYCD does out-cross alright,it at least adds bulk & flavor in lots of cases,but never (sadly) potencey. I outcrossed the Sour D Clone to NYCD,then spent a LONG time breeding the NYCD out.
I'm happy with The Results,as many fo you also seem to be.

Cheers!

Sounds interesting rez, i'm on the watch for the spg for a while now - i know she is around in my area - i've got some sweet&sourD pollen ready when she comes to me :wink:

yeah i have had great results with your genetics - i hope to run your sd ibl sometime, but atm the money is missing ;) but i'll have the sssdh soon and heard the sour is coming through nicely in her...

btw wanted to ask you about the original diesel for a while, think i'll open a thread in your section, as it would be a bit ot here...

greetings

REZDOG

Veteran
Bob,I'll give you some of the Next-Gen Sour Diesel IBLs to run when they're ready in a few months.
Howzzat?

**Remind me upon release,I don't usually 'beta' the SD IBLs,as I have No Real Need to.
I also suffer from no short-term memory,I wonder why? :smile:
(Um,where am I??) :D :D

Latest posts

Latest posts