What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sour 60 in soil and gdp/sour60 in coco

StealthDragon

Recovering UO addict.
Veteran
HI! yeh actually, I positively ID'd 2 females last nite! There's a few That I think are males, but I always wait till I see some ball hanging and the "stripes" first to be sure.

On the females I saw the white hairs poking out for sure :yes:

Sorry for a lack of updates, been trying to throw together a vert undercurrent system/room this past week. I have most of my supplies ordered, just need to get the actual hydro system itself all figured out...all these fittings are giving me a headache! I just spent an hour at homedepot just staring at pvc and conduit fittings trying to get it figured out.(found some cool little bulkheads at home depot in the conduit section though!) Jeez all I'm looking for is a fitting that will secure to a bucket nicely that I can screw a 3/4" garden hose to...I think I might have it figured out though. It's tough trying to figure cuz I want all screw together plumbing instead of those push fittings and stuff....I need it to be really ez to break down and clean and I don't feel like trying to F with those barbed push fittings and crap!

oh and on the coco man...just make the move. get yourself a brick of coco, ph down, micro, bloom and calmag...oh and the ph meter of course. I was sooooo hesitant to try out coco and hydro...all scared I'd mess it up. Honestly though I find it easier then soil now. With coco I feed the exact same stuff everyday...no guess work like with soil, and it makes it especially ez if anyone else is watering the plants too, you never wonder if the other person gave them a dose of calmag or bloom or whatever the day before. I'm actually to the point that I haven't had a PH meter at home in about 2 months and the plants look great! Once you get down your mixes and memorize how much ph down to use for your tapwater, it's really ez to do without the meter. but yeh....just jump into it bro! I wish I would have done it sooner!

StealthDragon

Recovering UO addict.
Veteran
here's a few dry shots of that last sour 60:

This stuff is delicious! I get so many weird smells from it too...it's mostly and kinda hashy citrus fruity skunk...but occasionally I get a light whiff of what I can only describe as "puppychow wrapped in a corn tortilla" kind of a weird pungent hashy-spicy smell. My nose works weird though...and it's so hard to get a good idea of what it smells like to other people cuz they just say it smells skunky or weird....

I'd give this stuff a 8/10 for potency....I can take a few puffs and just set the pipe down and forget about it for quite a while...nice and clear though...potent but not couchlock/body or confusing/head high..satisfying is the best word I can think of to describe it.

:wave:

20/4

Marijuana Enthusiast
Veteran
HI! yeh actually, I positively ID'd 2 females last nite! There's a few That I think are males, but I always wait till I see some ball hanging and the "stripes" first to be sure.

On the females I saw the white hairs poking out for sure :yes:

oh and on the coco man...just make the move. get yourself a brick of coco, ph down, micro, bloom and calmag...oh and the ph meter of course. I was sooooo hesitant to try out coco and hydro...all scared I'd mess it up. Honestly though I find it easier then soil now. With coco I feed the exact same stuff everyday...no guess work like with soil, and it makes it especially ez if anyone else is watering the plants too, you never wonder if the other person gave them a dose of calmag or bloom or whatever the day before. I'm actually to the point that I haven't had a PH meter at home in about 2 months and the plants look great! Once you get down your mixes and memorize how much ph down to use for your tapwater, it's really ez to do without the meter. but yeh....just jump into it bro! I wish I would have done it sooner!

Awesome that your getting some that are showing sex! Also very intresting the females showed before the males...looks like you will get a fair selection of autos out of the F1:jump:

Keep up the good growing:plant grow:

P.s. Ill get with you to discuss switching to coco:wave:

mitch_connor

large member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
just a word to the wise.. I grew out some seeds before that were supposed to be fully autoflowering...but they weren't (6 out of 20 were fully AF)

Some showed sex early.. around 28 days from sprout.. but they didnt autoflower and so given the extra veg time out grew my space.

So just a word of warning.. incase you have some you think might AF.. they might not.
That was females showing before the males aswell.

You might have better luck and planning than me though, but just thought i'd mention it incase.

StealthDragon

Recovering UO addict.
Veteran
thanks for the advice guys..I'm not sure what to expect so I appreciate any info I can get :) they've been under 24hrs of light since the start and I'm gonna keep them there for a while to see what develops if anything. After a while if I don't get something that kinda semiauto then I'll just pick a similar male a female to cross that show the traits I'm looking for. After that I'm not exactly sure what to do..I thought I read that more autos with come out in the f2's but is that just when backcrossing? like...man I dunno this is getting confusing..I'm not even sure what to call certain generations hahaha! Anyone have a recommendation of which way to cross after I pop the f2's or should I backcross one of these female f1's first to my sour60 pollen? hmm I guess I could do that anyways, I have pollen to spare and I can just do a micro seed run.

wow wtf...I'm still on my f1's and there's so many possibilities of which way to go.

oh and I wouldn't say that the females showed first, I'm 99% sure a few are males but I like to wait till their balls drop a little to be sure. Just like with the females...I can tell by the longer shape of the calyx but I wait till the white hair starts to show for it to be official.

I need to read more on which way to cross these..so many options...if anyone wants to make recommendations feel free. I might crisscross them in a few different ways...I love seeds :D

mitch_connor

large member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey man,

It takes some thinking doesn't it :)

But here's how I understand it.. If you were to backcross your S60/GDP to Sour60 again you would have a high chance of AF's in the seeds you make.. but you will only end up with a strain containing 25% of your GDP.

It's highly unlikely these F1's you are growing will AF, but inbreed these F1's choosing the best parents that most resemble the GDP or have similar traits..they will still contain the AF gene you want even if they don't show it.

Grow out the F2's and you should find 25% of these will AF, inbreed the best ones that Auto and at F3 you should find the AF trait is locked down in most of them.
It may take until F4 to have the strain fully AF but it will be 50% of your GDP keeper in auto form :)

If you wanted and weren't fed up by then.. You could backcross to the GDP again and start the process over by F4 of those it will be 75% GDP

I've just woken up so there may be errors in the above, but hope it made sense

StealthDragon

Recovering UO addict.
Veteran
Excellent advice Mitch, thanks. I think I'll just try to pick out the 2 that resemble the gdp the most and cross them. I was also reading through Mossy's stuff and he was talking about kinda letting the strain do what it wants to..and pick the most dominant pheno and cross a M/F of it and work it from there..creating a "pedigree". I think I'll try my best to do both this round...I think it's gonna be pretty difficult until the flowers set though...I wish my nose worked better :( here's a few day old shots of ( what I think ;) ) is a girl and boy.

I really need to do a full update..I have this cool camera that I always forget to take with me. :whee:

hope everyone is staying warm and safe!

20/4

Marijuana Enthusiast
Veteran
Sweet update, id love to see more pictures, so do you think you got any autos? Or are you thinking no by this point?

StealthDragon

Recovering UO addict.
Veteran
I'm thinking definately no autos :) .. maybe some semi auto stuff, but we'll have to wait and see. I'm trying to give them a bit longer to see if I see any semi auto traits under 24/0 lighting...I don't really think any are gonna show much auto traits in this generation, but it will be exciting to watch them flower and see the dominant traits. I wish I had a 18/6 schedule I could throw them under to see if I could kickstart some semi autos..but they're too big now and I can't kick the lighting back because of the other stuff in veg with them.

I did a small microthread update too.

I have my camera in my pocket already and I'll get some decent shot tonite.

mitch_connor

large member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What is the flowering time of the GDP?
Even if they don't auto, it will still be interesting to see first hand the effect of the S60 on growth and end effect of the smoke.
Plus when you make the F2's you'll be well on your way :)
Do you have your GDP running alongside?
It would be cool to do a smoke test on them both.

DIRT DIGGLER

Looking good SD, I didn't find any auto's in my F1's the F2's (inbred)showed 30% auto's,
the F3's are fully auto...I personally would inbreed rather than crossing back to the sour 60
so you can keep more of the GDP gene's present....but that's just my opinion.

SGS

In The Garden
Veteran
Looking good SD, I didn't find any auto's in my F1's the F2's (inbred)showed 30% auto's,
the F3's are fully auto...I personally would inbreed rather than crossing back to the sour 60
so you can keep more of the GDP gene's present....but that's just my opinion.

:yeahthats

StealthDragon

Recovering UO addict.
Veteran
hiya Mitch, the flowering time of this GDP is 60 days. I do have her vegging alongside the f1's and I have her in flower right now too. She also has some unique traits I can look out for. She has huge huge leaves in veg, gets a weird loss of chlorophyll in a few random leaves, and she has a very weird bud structure that starts out with curly hairs and forms into a kind of asparagus looking bud. I can also keep an eye out for the purple color which is a natural purple and not cold or stress induced :)

...Night temps in my flowering room have actually been dropping to 50-55 degrees the past week or so (don't worry it's fixed!) but it's weird that I've seen no additional purpling on the gdp or any other strains.

Thanks for the advice DIRT, that's what I'm planning on doing now thanks to the advice of you and a few others :thank you:
I'll probably criss cross back to the original gdp along the way just to keep seed stock for future projects but I plan on focusing on taking it to f3 first and hunt for the autos.

It's pleasure to have you stop by SGS :wave: thanks for the confirmation :tiphat:

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and support I can't do this without you guys :respect:

snapped a few pics last nite, I'll get em up in a few.

also I want to apologize for my crappy sentence structure throughout all of my posts, hope it doesn't bug anyone, cuz it isn't going to change :laughing:

StealthDragon

Recovering UO addict.
Veteran
first off the sour60 in 12/12:

getting the chop in about a week, buds are getting nice and thick, but I don't think it will yield near as much as the one under 24/0 that I harvested last week.

here's the seeded bushy pheno of s60:

maybe 2 more weeks to make sure the seeds ripen, otherwise I'd probably harvest in a couple days.

here's some of the kids:

quite a few positive ID's on males and females. Females will all be transplanted soon, all the males will stay in the smaller containers. Hopefully I can flower out the males for quite a bit to see if some purples or smells come out after a few weeks into flower.

Anyone have experience growing out alot of males? I'm wondering if I gave them longer in flower if I'll see better development of colors and smells..just wondering if it's worth all the extra time/space or do males show their colors right away after they start dropping pollen? I had a purple power male that I took like 2 weeks into flower after it started dropping pollen. I started to see some purps in the sacks and a random tric here and there but I chopped it without taking it any further cuz I had collected plenty of pollen and needed the room.

StealthDragon

Recovering UO addict.
Veteran
Hi.

Well interesting news..I have positive ID on all 16 gdp/sour60. 15 females and 1 male! WTF? I used my normal male sour60 pollen on my gdp cut...superduper luck? Maybe the pollen is special..but I didn't see any pistils or any hermie stuff going on with the male and I flowered it out for a good couple weeks.

Well I'm pretty disappointed I only got 1 male :( ..but since it's only 1, I plan on keeping a father plant of it and doing an open pollination drbud micro style with cuts of all 15 females! HA! I was planning on scrapping my desk/microcab, but it holds 14-16 plants and it will be empty just in time so that's almost perfect.This way I can just flower out all the original females and not have to pollinate in the big room. Although now I have to take multiple clones of, and track 15 plants....fun.

20/4

Marijuana Enthusiast
Veteran
Wow that 12/12 sour60 is VERY branchy, i assume it was looking for light since it was under 12/12... now im wondering, what if you start and auto under 12/12 until around 25 or 30 days then put it under 24/0 i wonder if the 12/12 will give it a really branchy structure and then when it goes to 24/0 it will thicken up ALOT... HMMM what do you think stealth?

mitch_connor

large member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thats crazy luck with the M/F ratio mate,

How often would people normally pray for that?!

It happens though, just part of the regular seed lottery.

Some males will put on colour and trichs more heavily the longer they are kept going,
some will give early hints about their nature and traits, normally you will have a good idea by the time they are seriously dropping pollen.

It just depends how long you want to deal with him for.. and if his pollen is likely to escape where it's not wanted.. those are normally the factors that decide for me.
I think your idea of taking cuts to pollinate and then letting the big girls flower out sensi is the way to go for sure, then you can sample the smoke from each plant which will help you draw your conclusions.

StealthDragon

Recovering UO addict.
Veteran
Thanks for stopping by guys :tiphat:

20/4- It's really hard to say bro, I tried to pick a very average plant to throw into 12/12...shortly after I threw it in 12/12 I had to supercrop the tops of most of the sour60 and alot of them got pretty branchy. They also stretched a little bit early on under the cmh.

I also forgot to mention that due to space issues I had to put the other sour60's I was running into 12/12 as well. I really wish I would have topped them once or twice very early instead of supercropping, they didn't respond very well to it. I've kept a very close eye on the ones left and I'm not seeing any signs of hermies.

Mitch - yeh crazy luck huh? I'll hold that one male as long as I can...I really want to pop a few more of those seeds to see what the deal is with them. The male seems pretty average compared to all the females, I need to go in there with a fresh palate and get a few good whiffs. I did notice a female stinking like gdp though, marked it...just picking it up I could smell it. I think I'll bring some coffee beans with me and try to do a good sniff test on all of them.

This should make for a nice seed run, I've been having issues cloning so wish me luck cuz tonight I plan on taking a ton of cuts.

StealthDragon

Recovering UO addict.
Veteran
Well I did some cutting the other night, here's the results:

I hope they clone e-z, wish me luck...4 cuts of each, 2 to flower and seed, 2 to keep for mothers.