What's new

Sound Proofing a Inline

T

The_Core

Hey Just looking for ideas on how to sound proof a inline fan that is placed inside a grow tent. If you have a link to a Tutorial I am willing to read that. Thanks everyone!

St3ve

Wat is too loud? Rushing air or fan vibration? Is the fan quiet enough when you plug it in when its not hooked up to anything?

benzo

I made a mdf box and lined it with quilt batting. Caulked the edges and then taped over the edges.. still kinda loud. I think now I need to wrap the box in something else..

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
before you make any box or thing to put our inline in..

you need a muffler on intake.. and out-take.. 2 of them, 1 will not work. these work better then making a box or anything around the fan, as the sound is just going out the ends...

second, you need to make a box with soundproofing in it

T

The_Core

Your saying use a duct muffler? On the intake i have my scrubber hooked up and the out is pushing through the Air Cooled Reflector. So how would I make that work?

T

TribalSeeds

Is it fan noise or air noise?
I battled noise until I straightened out my run. I dont even use my muffler or fan silener box anymore.
What kinda fan are you using? Have you tried a fan speed reducer? A Vortex at 90% is almost silent outside of a tent.
Do you have any bends in the duct? Elbows help a little, but make sure they are sealed air tight.
Do not allow the duct to bend or sag anymore than necessary.
Use insulated ducts. The light proof stuff is great.

G

Guest 349079

hey guys i have a dr100 grow tent & it is setup like this....

aircooled shade - ducting - 6ins rvk fan - carbon filter

i no this isnt the right way to setup but it will have to do for now!! i have the fan in the attic & when i turn the fan down low with the primair controller you can here it buzz
but the problem is the sound of rushing air through the ducting between tent and attic
its too loud..i a going to buy a new fan soon...could i use a silencer between tent and attic like this?

aircooled shade - acoustic duting - silencer - fan - carbon

peace GTBH

Jbonez

Veteran
Simply using insulated ducting will kill alot of the noise, check out hydro innovations automatic fan controller... shit is nice, only spins up when needed, and rarely maxes out full throttle..

Soundproofing foam can also be attached to the walls in your grow room..

qupee

Air just blows through a muffler so you can hook it up anywhere. Insulated duct also helps a lot. I would avoid that foil & bubble insulation posted above it may be ok for reflecting heat (like under a metal roof) but it is not going to be effective against sound.

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Habeeb, what if the intake is a carbon scrubber ? Any pics or links to mufflers ?

didn't say I was here to suit all setups.. just how to get them more silent. there's many duct silencers brands, just google them if interested.. I use to use I think fantech ones, kinda bulky, I do believe they have some smaller sizes now?

Your saying use a duct muffler? On the intake i have my scrubber hooked up and the out is pushing through the Air Cooled Reflector. So how would I make that work?

well I don't know the size of your setup.. maybe it's possible to relocate to on top of the tent / outside the tent the fan / silencers...

will not work for everyone's situation as it does take space..

also speed controllers make the fan turn high pitch.. not sure on the trivac / variac controllers though....

insulated ducting I've seen does minimal, my best advice, and it doesn't suit most people is to locate the fan right outside the grow ( hole through wall ) to get the room to place the fan / silencers , and noise into another room.. as I said this does not fit most people's setups though.. but I need to say it as it's really one way to curb noise is re-locate it

Desert Hydro

Veteran
i have found the easiest is to use insulated ductwork from lowes or home depot. it seems to cut the noise by at least 50% or so. if that isnt enough u can put the fan itself in a blanket lined box with holes cut so the duct can go in one side through the fan then out the other. or u can just wrap a jacket around the fan itself. thats what i do when i dont wanna get all DIY lol

fireman

There are just some noises that will not go away. If you haven`t gather so far from the other posts the noise mostly is not the fan but the air moving in and out of the fan.

I personally only use vortex fans, they seem to slightly quieter. I also like to have my fan ducted on both sides ,with insulated ducting, because this will be your most effective tool in reducing noise.

I have built boxes and done many things to try and reduce noise, but non usually are worth the effort, unless u just like to build pointless shit. Some things are gonna make noise and such so you have to accept it in my opinion.

Insulated ducting and mufflers will help kill fan noise. But if you want to reduce the noise of the air moving through the duct, then go up a size or two on the the ducting. An example would be say you have a 10" fan and a 10" carbon filter. Measure the outside diameter of the carbon filter (not the flange, but the whole filter). For example, lets say the carbon filter is 14" in diameter. Put your fan on the filter, then get some 14" insulated duct. Slide the duct over the fan and then onto the carbon filter just enough to get some zip ties around it, about 2" or so. The fan will now be inside the duct (make sure the power cord to the fan sticks out). Zip tie the duct so it's tight around the filter. Hook up the other end of the duct to wherever you want the air to go, and plug it in. You'll have almost no noise where the air comes out. This works because there is a lot of turbulence when air moves through ducting. By over sizing the duct, you can greatly reduce the turbulence and therefore the noise the air makes moving through the duct.

This makes it more challenging to hang the whole thing from the ceiling, but if you get creative you can do it. You have to secure the fan to the filter with metal strapping and screws.

Obviously you won't need a 10" fan in a tent, that's just the size that I use so I used it for the example. But it will work for smaller size ducting too.

samba

Or get a better fan. It will cost you but thats your best option. Try the mufflers, I personally love them, you'll be amazed. Try using bigger radius hose, especially at the out part of your ventilation. Insulated ductwork helps as well.

Baino

if you havent seen this thread you could take a look.. it works great here.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=247745

like others have suggested you could try with some of the insulated ducting to kill the most of the "whiizzz" sound /white noise.

you could also try to tighten a sleeping bag around the fan to kill some of the fans noise.. just a tip i saw in a video..

G

Guest 349079

hey fireman i get what you mean i have acoustic ducting & its not working for me so i will need to move my grow to another place

Latest posts

Latest posts