What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

solvent for Rick Simpson oil

BigJohnny

I rarely see anyone mention 100% iso & I'm not sure why. i used to get it at industrial supply places, not sure what all of it's uses are but if anyone gives you a funny look when you ask for it you need it for cleaning aluminum or stainless prior to welding.

This exists? I've never seen nor heard of it, so I wouldn't know where to buy it.

As it is now I just pickup a 5 gallon bucket of 99%. I use it for cleaning shit off though not making oil.

I like Acetone. It has a pungent sweet aroma until you rid of it residually, so it's not too tough to tell when you're down below the taste threshold. Acetone is a natural byproduct in digestion/metabolism, so tiny Residual exposures scare me as much as ethanol in my dabs does. I still go for full removal, but find acetone is much easier to remove without as much heat as alcohol.

I winterized about 90g in acetone and after it was filtered I let it sit in a pyrex to evap.
The acetone passively evaporated in about 4 hours.
When I put it in the oven I got a nice big muffin and was able to purge all the acetone out in less than a day IIRC.

Old Gold

What temperature?? Even with quite a freaking thin film, I purge her for 72+ hrs before the taste is out.
I do low temperature, 95°F max. With winterizations, when I'm not so concerned with losing a flavor profile, I like purging for 48 of those hours as dust.

whiteberrieS

With A Black Flag Raised In The Sky
Veteran
100% ISO = Isopropanol not Isopropyl...It's 99.9% I was recommended that the other day. Available on Amazon, cheaper than the grain alcohol.

O

Oakhills

I used the QWET method from Skunk Farm, 190 proof ethanol. Got about 25 grams of oil from 110 grams of flowers, tested to about 60% total cannabinoids. Excellent for cancer patients at about a 1:1 ratio cbd to thc

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've always been a fan of Rick Simpsons's contributions to medical cannabis, and we will for ever been in his debt, though I've never agreed with using naphtha for extraction, and only use 99% Isopropyl if 190 proof Ethanol isn't available.

I don't use naphtha because the word naphtha doesn't identify what is in the mix, only its boiling point range, and that range includes benzene, an known carcinogen.

I use and recommend Ethanol instead of Isopropanol or Methanol, because residuals from either are less damaging to our central nervous systems, as well as optic and auditory nerves.

As far as the arguments that only Naphtha or Isopropyl has the ability to extract all the goodness, consider that the goodness medical science has identified is in the trichomes, and after extraction they either are, or are not present.

If they are not present, regardless of process, where did they go??

It has been my own experience, that you can successfully extract using multiple processes, but the test is holding on to all the constituents during the purge process, because of the volatility of the monoterpenes, and fragility of the carboxylic acids.

Attachments

• FDA solvent standards.pdf
    182.1 KB · Views: 46

BigJohnny

I've always been a fan of Rick Simpsons's contributions to medical cannabis, and we will for ever been in his debt, though I've never agreed with using naphtha for extraction, and only use 99% Isopropyl if 190 proof Ethanol isn't available.

I don't use naphtha because the word naphtha doesn't identify what is in the mix, only its boiling point range, and that range includes benzene, an known carcinogen.

I use and recommend Ethanol instead of Isopropanol or Methanol, because residuals from either are less damaging to our central nervous systems, as well as optic and auditory nerves.

As far as the arguments that only Naphtha or Isopropyl has the ability to extract all the goodness, consider that the goodness medical science has identified is in the trichomes, and after extraction they either are, or are not present.

If they are not present, regardless of process, where did they go??

It has been my own experience, that you can successfully extract using multiple processes, but the test is holding on to all the constituents during the purge process, because of the volatility of the monoterpenes, and fragility of the carboxylic acids.

So what are your thoughts on acetone?

Thanks... looks like its going to take forever and a day to evap in this climate in the rice cooker... chillin with my respirator on post apocalyptic status

I just got done making rso for the first time.
I couldnt get it to bubble in my rice cooker like he said, so I did pyrex in the oven @ 250F for 1 hour, then a little longer with less heat to make sure I got it all, swirling.

I was able to fill 70 00 capsules with thick almost black hash oil. Sticky but not shatter sticky. Smooth when cool. Nice smelling but not floral or dank. Hempy. Is this yield normal for an eyeballed bag of mixed strain trim/popcorn that looked like a pound?

I just ate some to find out...

Edit: thumbs up good potent stony medicine!
Lol @ the black piece of bread

Last edited:

BigJohnny

Acetone makes a nice extraction, but we don't use it because it is listed as a reproduction system toxin.

Do you happen to know in what way it's toxic to the reproductive system? and is that ingested/inhaled/skin contact ...

does it leave traces behind when it's evaporated from a watch glass? does it fully purge out of bho?

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Acetone toxicity:

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/toxprofiles/acetone_addendum.pdf

Make sure it's actually "100% pure acetone," I see they add a 'bitterant' to nail polish remover, something called denatonium. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denatonium Here's a product listing honest enough to state it outright:

"ONYX Professionals 100% Pure Acetone Nail Polish Remover:
<snip>
Ingredients:
Acetone, Denatonium Benzoate."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ONYX-Profes...003225?hash=item419c878c59:g:2-4AAOSw9r1V9cKl

Here's Dudadiesel's acetone that contains links to both the MSDS and Certificate of Analysis.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/950ml-Pure-...051925?hash=item51bf502655:g:xGIAAOSw8lBTqGH9

A normal vacuum purge will produce a clean enough product.

Acetone is on the DEA's List II of 'watched' precursors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEA_list_of_chemicals

I was asked once in Ace why I was buying acetone years ago...privacymuch? I said thinning paint... interesting how our bodies produce it in very small amounts.

One thing I wish Rick would have mentioned about the mopping up the rest with bread thing is how badly that will destroy your toothbrush... other than that im impressed by its effects

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Do you happen to know in what way it's toxic to the reproductive system? and is that ingested/inhaled/skin contact ...

does it leave traces behind when it's evaporated from a watch glass? does it fully purge out of bho?

It causes birth defects ingested, inhaled, or skin contact. In industry, we used acetone regularly, but kept pregnant women away from it.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
Acetone makes a nice extraction, but we don't use it because it is listed as a reproduction system toxin.

Is this some obscure, bullshit list, or what? It has to be much less toxic than hexane.

The amount of acetone that could cause any toxic effect whatsoever would be so high that you'd know for sure it was there. There have surely never been any human birth defects shown to be caused by just acetone exposure, and any animal reproductive problems of any kind would have to have been at an extreme level where most other chemicals would have already caused death. Acetone and low-boiling petroleum ether are favored solvents at all stages in the pharma industry, including the little packets of whatever it is the news insists on calling synthetic marijuana.

The problem with acetone is using it for the extraction. Lower-boiling naphthas are acceptable if they're partially distilled first, to a temperature not so high that evaporation would be a problem.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Is this some obscure, bullshit list, or what? It has to be much less toxic than hexane.

The amount of acetone that could cause any toxic effect whatsoever would be so high that you'd know for sure it was there. There have surely never been any human birth defects shown to be caused by just acetone exposure, and any animal reproductive problems of any kind would have to have been at an extreme level where most other chemicals would have already caused death. Acetone and low-boiling petroleum ether are favored solvents at all stages in the pharma industry, including the little packets of whatever it is the news insists on calling synthetic marijuana.

The problem with acetone is using it for the extraction. Lower-boiling naphthas are acceptable if they're partially distilled first, to a temperature not so high that evaporation would be a problem.

While I admire a man with strong convictions brother GJ, I admire those more who stick to the facts as opposed to their opinions and don't lead gullible brothers and sisters astray.

Attached is a copy of a MSDS clearly supporting my position. Will you be so kind as to show yours refuting it.

http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9927062

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It causes birth defects ingested, inhaled, or skin contact. In industry, we used acetone regularly, but kept pregnant women away from it.

If so, nail salons wouldn't use acetone polish remover, or they'd have to at least inform their customers of the possible danger.

As I referenced previously, from the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.)

Acetone
CAS ID #: 67-64-1

Affected Organ Systems: Hematological (Blood Forming), Neurological (Nervous System)

Cancer Classification: None

Chemical Classification: Volatile organic compounds

Summary: Acetone is a manufactured chemical that is also found naturally in the environment. It is a colorless liquid with a distinct smell and taste. It evaporates easily, is flammable, and dissolves in water. It is also called dimethyl ketone, 2-propanone, and beta-ketopropane.

Acetone is used to make plastic, fibers, drugs, and other chemicals. It is also used to dissolve other substances.

It occurs naturally in plants, trees, volcanic gases, forest fires, and as a product of the breakdown of body fat. It is present in vehicle exhaust, tobacco smoke, and landfill sites. Industrial processes contribute more acetone to the environment than natural processes.
http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/substances/toxsubstance.asp?toxid=1

TOXICOLOGICAL PROFILE FOR ACETONE
U.S. DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES
Public Health Service
Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry
May 1994
http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/toxprofiles/tp21.pdf

ADDENDUM TO THE TOXICOLOGICAL PROFILE FOR ACETONE
Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry Division of Toxicology and Environmental Medicine Atlanta, GA 30333
August 2011
http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/toxprofiles/acetone_addendum.pdf

Latest posts

Latest posts