What's new

Soil-less Organics with Professor Matt Rize

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Rize

Growing organically...

Growing organically...

Growing organically implies having a living soil.

Growing organically has multiple meanings. Organics means to me that we should all grow using the sun really...but I don't get to decide.
The future of indoor organics is now. Growing organic can be done in soil-less, soil, and even hydro these days. A "living soil", by which you really mean a true soil, is not the only way to grow organic Cannabis.

Y

Yankee Grower

Like I care about my rep in a pot forum. lol
I gave you some cause you really are attached to it...lol. I have 600 posts and only 3 bars...is that OK?

Suby is back...WooHoo! Kind of on the same page with you on that one. Bottled organic nutes still require microlife to make them available. As for pushing plants to the max my experience is if you have your program dialed in regarding building your medium properly then you can easily match organic soilless yields.

Y

Yankee Grower

WRONG and welcome to the future of indoor organics. Growing organic can be done in soil-less, soil, and even hydro these days. A "living soil", by which you really mean a true soil, is not the only way to grow organic Cannabis.
What I got out of Suby's post is it refers to a living 'medium'. That's the way I interpreted it considering some discussion in this thread is about soilless and even there that's up to debate as to what that really is.

Matt Rize

Great post, reply to YG

Great post, reply to YG

I gave you some cause you really are attached to it...lol. I have 600 posts and only 3 bars...is that OK?

Suby is back...WooHoo! Kind of on the same page with you on that one. Bottled organic nutes still require microlife to make them available. As for pushing plants to the max my experience is if you have your program dialed in regarding building your medium properly then you can easily match organic soilless yields.

Soil life is still key, which is why I have a hard time with hydro organics. How can soil-life live on perlite or rockwool?

I never said that pushing your plant is not possible with slow release and a properly amended soil. BUT this works as well. We (new and old school organics) can both exist. AND we can even learn from each other. Thanks for contributing. 600 post and three bars, keep it up. It is a sign of greater knowledge and willingness to help the newbs.

post edit: just the fact that you said "can easily match organic soil-less yields" demonstrates the common misconception that soil-less yields more. EQUALS, just different approaches.

Last edited by a moderator:

Matt Rize

The debate is settled... by ME

The debate is settled... by ME

What I got out of Suby's post is it refers to a living 'medium'. That's the way I interpreted it considering some discussion in this thread is about soilless and even there that's up to debate as to what that really is.

That OP was about killing this debate. I used this to define those terms. http://ressources.ciheam.org/om/pdf/c31/CI020854.pdf

Now that we all know what soil-less means, and how it is different from hydro or true soil, we can all use the proper terminology, as this sub-forum LOVES semantics.

DARC MIND

Veteran
define soilless culture
Soilless culture is an artificial means of
providing plants with support and a reservoir for
nutrients and water. The simplest and oldest method
for soilless culture is a vessel of water in which
inorganic chemicals are dissolved to supply all of the
nutrients that plants require. Often called solution
culture or water culture, the method was originally
termed hydroponics (i. e., "water working") by W. F.
Gericke in the 1930s. Over the years, hydroponics
has been used sporadically throughout the world as a
commercial means of growing both food and
ornamental plants. Today, it is used widely in
research facilities as a technique for studying plant
nutrition. Various modifications of pure-solution
culture have occurred. Gravel or sand is sometimes
used in soilless systems to provide plant support, and
retain some nutrients and water. The retention of
nutrients and water can be further improved through
the use of spaghnum peat, vermiculite, or bark chips.
These are the most commonly used materials, but
others - such as rice hulls, bagasse (sugarcane
refuse), sedge peat, and sawdust - are used
sometimes as constituents in soilless mixes. Straw
bales have been used as growing medium in England
and Canada. Rockwool (porous stone fiber) is used
in Europe, but there is little experience with it in this
country.
Since the major constituent of the media in
artificial growing systems may be solid or liquid, it is
appropriate to use the term soilless culture in
reference to this general type of growing system and
reserve the term hydroponics for those in which
water is the principal constituent. Soilless culture
methods may thus be classified as either solid- or
liquid-medium systems.
& some attra horticulture technical notes
Organic potting mixes
Potting Mixes for Certified Organic Production
HTH

S

staff11

People come here to get away from bottles and bought soil mixes. All you do is push Canna products, on every website I have seen you on and your blog. You should be getting paid, by Canna. If you aren't already.

Matt Rize

sigh... your post is so far off base here

sigh... your post is so far off base here

People come here to get away from bottles and bought soil mixes. All you do is push Canna products, on every website I have seen you on and your blog. You should be getting paid, by Canna. If you aren't already.

My blog is about bubble hash and other new school Cannabis life. It is currently called Pursuit of the Pure, but that changes constantly. I even taught Bubbleman how to make hash more efficiently. My second rep bar is due to my extensive lesson on hash making found here:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=3934366#post3934366

Y

Yankee Grower

Soil life is still key, which is why I have a hard time with hydro organics. How can soil-life live on perlite or rockwool?
Easily.

Screw your blog and stop posting that link here and I'll stop reporting those posts. It's against the TOU for starters and it's also self promotion which I have no tolerance for. Stop trying to build your brand through IC...that's not why I come here.

As for semantics...part of a discussion is based on agreeing on what the definitions are for the discussion. IMO these guys are more into correct info actually.

As for learning something from you...lol...for the most part I find your posts pretty useless and usually contain incorrect and/or misleading info and are a general waste of bandwidth. Sure there's peeps out there that will learn from you but most of what I see happening here is you're the one getting schooled. I'm just a dork though and can't offer you anything.

Y

Yankee Grower

So you don't miss my edit...

What I think is a great way to go for organic hydro is use a separate biofilter...just like they do in aquariums and I'm talking 100% organic hydro and not some of the products that contain some salts. Absolutely 'inert' materials can support a large population of microcritters...just like BioBalls for aquariums. Microcritters just need a surface to 'attach' to and create a bioslime to aid in that process and that's part of the reason for the biofilter...more surface area. I saw one grower add a 5 gallon pail to the top of his res filled with bioballs and would recirc through the biofilter.

Matt Rize

A dork... or a nerd?

A dork... or a nerd?

I'm just a dork though and can't offer you anything.
To quote Milhouse:
"I'm not a nerd, Bart, nerds are smart."

The Simpsons 1318. I Am Furious Yellow.

If Bubbleman can learn from me, than the rest of you can as well. And suggesting that you may be a nerd instead of a dork is the highest compliment.

My hash and flowers are tops: from Steep Hill Lab

"blackberry kush flower %15.44 THC %0.23CBD %0.05CBN
blackberry kush full melt%52.64THC %01.27CBD %0.33CBN
"

Funny follow up text message from a lab employee:

"Your results say alot. Bbkush does not ever test over 16 far as i know. So ur at the top of the pile as far samples we have seen. And ur melt tested super high too. 52 is f'ing strong hash. Thats stronger than some oil. "

This bubble is 45 to 160 microns, which is normally a commercial grade bubble hash. Mine tested over 50% THC and even bubbleman was surprised.
These flowers were grown indoors using Bio Terra Plus, BioCanna nutes, and a bunch of amendments that can be found on my rollitup thread titled "vegan organics with professor matt rize"
picture.php

picture.php

Matt Rize

YG - great post, now the others need to follow your lead

YG - great post, now the others need to follow your lead

So you don't miss my edit...

What I think is a great way to go for organic hydro is use a separate biofilter...just like they do in aquariums and I'm talking 100% organic hydro and not some of the products that contain some salts. Absolutely 'inert' materials can support a large population of microcritters...just like BioBalls for aquariums. Microcritters just need a surface to 'attach' to and create a bioslime to aid in that process and that's part of the reason for the biofilter...more surface area. I saw one grower add a 5 gallon pail to the top of his res filled with bioballs and would recirc through the biofilter.

Hey, thanks for the great post. One of these days I'll try hydro organics and will be looking for your expertise :)

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Let's debate things and we might all learn something.....
JJS

I'm learning quite a bit actually. Things like it's probably a good idea that the bar for becoming a board certified oncologist is pretty high.

The bar for becoming a self-proclaimed professor of cannabis cultivation not so high - if one exists at all.

Ain't this a wonderful country?

CC

Matt Rize

Yes it is a wonderful country... THE BEST!

Yes it is a wonderful country... THE BEST!

JJS

I'm learning quite a bit actually. Things like it's probably a good idea that the bar for becoming a board certified oncologist is pretty high.

The bar for becoming a self-proclaimed professor of cannabis cultivation not so high - if one exists at all.

Ain't this a wonderful country?

CC

Teaching at two self proclaimed universities only logically leads to being a self proclaimed professor. Really? Back to semantics?

Come on now... CONTRIBUTE or GTFO please ;)

There is no bar for any "self proclaimed" profession. Really dude? Gosh, you are drinking that haterade already today...

Any actual contributions are welcome.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
OK, this isn't necessary. Let's debate things and we might all learn something.....

Hi JJ :tiphat:
respectfully i would disagree. to teach something and call yourself a Professor - when you are no such thing - is quite simply a deception.
Similarly to call your weed 'Veganic' and sell it at a premium - when the medium you grew it in contains bonemeal - is also a deception.
Matts insistence in calling himself a Professor is the main thing which has derailed the debate all along, not so much by myself because i opted out of the last thread. I think the thread would run smoother is the OP wasnt using a falsehood to bolster his credentials.

.....I was invited back here by VG, ....

you do like putting words into my mouth don't you matt. actually all i said was that i didnt think a separate 'soil-less organic' sub-forum was a very good idea.

VG

Matt Rize

reply to vg, with all due respect

reply to vg, with all due respect

respectfully i would disagree. to teach something and call yourself a Professor - when you are no such thing - is quite simply a deception.

We have already examined the multiple meanings of professor. I do in fact teach adult students, at multiple self proclaimed universities.
Call me a teacher, a guest lecturer, a motivational speaker, technically (on my taxes) I am an instructor and guest speaker. BUT who cares other than you hater douchebags? back to the OP dude.

Similarly to call your weed 'Veganic' and sell it at a premium - when the medium you grew it in contains bonemeal - is also a deception.

Completely unrelated to this thread dude... Don't you worry about where my medicine goes and/or how I am compensated for it. Mind your own... give it up, contribute, or :bump:

Matts insistence in calling himself a Professor is the main thing which has derailed the debate all along, not so much by myself because i opted out of the last thread. I think the thread would run smoother is the OP wasnt using a falsehood to bolster his credentials.

This is the weakest argument EVER. Do we get on MM for claiming to be a microcosmic god... really dude? Again, this is a ganja forum with made up names and avatars. Is your name really verdant green? SHA!

you do like putting words into my mouth don't you matt (lol from rize). actually all i said was that i didnt think a separate 'soil-less organic' sub-forum was a very good idea.

Was waiting for this. Your acknowledgement that soil-less and soil are closely related was taken as in invite into the soil sub-forum. Maybe next time you will consider this when posting on my threads.

BACK TO SOIL-LESS ORGANICS...

cyat

Veteran
I can now see vegans asking if their vegetables were grown veganicly or with animal products.Adding a whole other level to it.Then we could ask if the veggies were grown with vegan fertilizer that itself was grown with vegan fertilizer,and on , and on.....We could grade our veganic produce on how many generations back its veganic roots strecth.Honestly does vegan soil really exist in nature , as insects and animals die and return to the soil as do humans?As VG stated why even say vegan if you use bonemeal?

oldpink

Un - Retired,
Administrator
Veteran
Matt you seem to put a lot into people Karma level
and trying to belittle people without any actual facts to back up your words
you seem to have your mind set on what is and what isn't and unopen to discussion on this subject
as all I'm seeing is you dissing people that don't agree with you

Please stop reporting every post in this thread you don't agree with

OP

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.