What's new

Smoking with friends - Compensation?

It's not that I can't afford it, I just run out of weed a lot faster. He is a friend...I met him at my last job and he is a good dude truly, but very cheap. I don't think smoking a gram of white rhino or widow with someone and then them smoking a gram of the shittiest mexican brick weed with you is 'equal' in any way.

If this dude was a long-time friend, has had my back through thick and thin...things would obviously be much different. He only wants to chill to smoke, or do something that involves smoking. When I'm out of weed, I don't hear from him for weeks. Good dude just very self-absorbed. Not to mention he's 28 living with his mom.
Well, if that's the case then he is a text book example of a "joneser"! Someone like that is really not a friend, more like a user. My question is: Do you really enjoy his company? If yes, then, well it shouldn't be an issue. If not, then you just got to tell him you quit smoking or something; or hell, be honest & tell him your'e tired of his bullshit, get your cards on the table, man! If you feel like he doesn't acknowledge this, then you gotta tell him to use somebody else!

You know charging a friend to smoke is disgusting!!!
I even smoke strangers time to time when i can afford to, let alone friends, i give em some of mine if they dont have any call your so call friend an acquaintance instead of friend, my friends bring me weed when i dont have any and i do the same for em, hope you find the right friend bro.

Fo20.

Snagglepuss

even
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Over the years in my circle, it was always standard ,to smoke out the buyer when they come by .I never expected ,them to pitch in on the session.Same when i was the buyer.But usually just a bowl or joint or a bong hit or 2 ,not a gram or more....thats reserved for the good friends,,,Unless the buyer opens their bag,and wants to get crazy...

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I thought this was someone that came around and bought weed for a few of his friends. I guess you have to decide whether the amount he buys justifies the amount he smokes....

It also seems like if he was your friend, he isn't any longer. I have friends that I'd get high everyday and even give herb to, but there's other people I know that I wouldn't want around all the time. And I sure wouldn't want them to know if I was growing if I felt that way about them....

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
I don't think the OP sounds stingy at all. This is a legitimate and common issue worth discussing.

Weed here is also around $20-30/g and I also smoke 1-2g per session. Weed in the US can also be seen as currency so you're basically giving away a lot of money every time you smoke people up.

I noticed my coolest friends and even family will insist on putting down money and not accepting free weed knowing how expensive it is.

I don't mind giving bud out but I have a few "best friends" who will literally just drop by any time of the day and ask for a few grams. If I add it up, I'm giving out maybe $2500 worth of bud every harvest to just one dude. He's cool and he smoked me up all the time when he lost his job and paid for weed while in debt.. so it's hard to say no, but now it's really starting to add up.

I have a friend who grows and he would never think about giving cheap/free bud to anyone knowing the cost. Since he's taking the risk to grow and knows that he can sell the entire product in a weekend rather than smoking it all with friends, he chooses never to give any extra out. He primarily grows to sell, and if all his friends constantly smoked his stash for free, he would stop growing.

He's very business oriented and it shows.. him and me would get the same yield, and after a month his yield turns into wads of cash and mine into ash.

Get your friends to grow their own. That's what I'm trying to do.

whodair

Veteran
Smoking with friends - Compensation?

how much $$ do you feel is an appropriate bar mitzvah gift ??

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
i smoke alot, like an oz every 3 days.....

i used to smoke with my friends but a few years ago i noticed they would just sit there and wait until i rolled one up so they didnt have to ......

so i decided to tell them i now smoke personals, and after a few years, they got used to it...now we all smoke personals...

ppl who smoke cigarettes, you dont see them passing around their smoke between 3 or 4 ppl.....

its also a hygene thing....there are a few diseases that can be transfered through saliva(like smoking on the same joint).....one happens to be heppatitis....

id rather give someone a bud and let them roll their own, rather than pass them my joint....

I

InvisibleEmpire

the idea is that when you smoke with friends it creates an atmosphere of relaxation, calmness, kindness, laughter, etc. while this is true i feel that the 'culture' that has formed has it's 'priorities' wrong...

for example...like dude said weed is literally money, and you don't see people stopping over and going "Hey, can you just give me $20 for no reason every time i stop over?"....i think the idea that just because weed is weed does not mean you should smoke people out, for free, simply because the 'culture says so'...

ESPECIALLY since the economy is in the shitter it just makes it worse...

i have seriously considered stopping sharing at all...mainly because of money issues but also because of hygene issues...blunts for example...can't count how many times i get handed the blunt and the end is all sticky with their saliva...nasty.

i'm about to just start a whole new regime with anyone i smoke with...IE...no more sharing anything, simply do personal blunts and have a smoke session...this way there is no spreading of germs, colds, bacteria, you save money and stay healthy...

Last edited by a moderator:

TruthOrLie

Veteran
its like you struck gold in the side of the mountain

and you got to sell the gold

but you dont want anyone to know where you found the gold.

diamondmine

I always turn down free sacks of bud just because I feel like a mooch if I take them, but this year when my outdoor got ripped I couldn't help but accept a large stash enough for many months. My friend who donated said don't be mad you have to trim all this sorry about that. I laughed and said you don't even know how grateful I am.

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
Do you, as a smoker/grower, expect some sort of reciprocation or financial compensation when you smoke with friend(s) consistently? What about acquaintances?

Okay since you asked the question differently my answer would be this. When I smoke with other people I make the decision up front if I want compensation or contribution. Usually I don't want compensation or a contribution but if I decided I did, I'd get it up front as that's just smart business. Never allow the customer to consume what they're buying before they pay you. Everyone knows that, even hookers :)

Now on the consistently aspect, when I've made the choice to smoke with people for no compensation then when that moment is done it's done, I don't really keep a tally. I do kind of keep track in my head though and if I started to feel someone was taking advantage then that would eventually start to factor in as to whether or not I expected compensation up front. So my generosity would change over time if the situation warranted it.

Now your situation is alot different then mine in that you sell and this guy is essentially a salesman for you. To him he may see the smoking up as something like a commission or bonus? Personally if I was selling and had someone like that being the middleman then I wouldn't be trying to have him be my buddy or socializing with him alot. I think that can create too many situations where things get taken for granted "Oh he'd be okay with this, we're friends".

Bionic

Cautiously Optimistic
Veteran
Just. Wow. And no, it's not the same thing. Your friends sound like a bunch of assholes.

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
Also back when i grew I wasn't stingy. I would smoke people up routinely. When you go back to paying twenty bucks a gram you think differently about smoking people out. If four people show up without weed I used to just roll up a fat J of lower branch buds. Now it would cost me at least twenty dollars just to give them a buzz.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

my neighbor used to come over and mooch my weed, always telling me he'd stone me up real hard when he had some dank in hand but NEVER did, always talk & never happened.

I didn't recognize that he was an alcoholic because we didn't hang out that much but he & his wife got jammed with social services over their drinking and neglecting their children.

so what did this dirtbag motherfucker do to bail his ass out of trouble? he told his social worker that his neighbor (ME!) was a weed dealer he'd like to turn in to 'do the right thing'!!!

social services & the sheriffs dept worked out their sting operation while my inside guy filled me in on all the details. when their narc came over to try to make a buy (I never sold weed btw) I offered to shoot him for his troubles and told him I was going inside for my gun, he took off & I called the sheriffs dept to scream bloody hell at the head narc in charge. I read him the riot act and told him to leave me the fuck alone which he has done.

my neighbor moved the next week, I'm still quietly looking for him, revenge in a dish best served cold.......

use

I think the price, or time taken to grow the herb is worth the cost of being able to smoke out your friends, or strangers.

Warped1

I'm a victim of fast women and slow horses
Veteran
Man oh man ,oh man oh man lol. I've tried to give so many of you +rep, but this site just won't let me so I apologize. My gf buys her cannabis,and I do to right now because it is what it is.. Anyway my girl tells me she has to smoke up her source when she buys.I'm like wtf.. you're paying top dollar and they want you to get them high?? Fuck that I say. I don't have a problem paying the going rate, but for crying out loud, the source should get her high. Am I wrong? I can't wait until I can grow my own. Much respect to the growers..but fuck.

B. Friendly

"IBIUBU" Sayeith the Dude
Veteran
how much $$ do you feel is an appropriate bar mitzvah gift ??
like a wedding no amount is to much for someone starting off in life.

but we need to keep those Scavenger Smokers off our top quality dank. Snoop in "half baked" was awesome

g0vnaa

ICE Cream eater
Veteran

my neighbor used to come over and mooch my weed, always telling me he'd stone me up real hard when he had some dank in hand but NEVER did, always talk & never happened.

I didn't recognize that he was an alcoholic because we didn't hang out that much but he & his wife got jammed with social services over their drinking and neglecting their children.

so what did this dirtbag motherfucker do to bail his ass out of trouble? he told his social worker that his neighbor (ME!) was a weed dealer he'd like to turn in to 'do the right thing'!!!

social services & the sheriffs dept worked out their sting operation while my inside guy filled me in on all the details. when their narc came over to try to make a buy (I never sold weed btw) I offered to shoot him for his troubles and told him I was going inside for my gun, he took off & I called the sheriffs dept to scream bloody hell at the head narc in charge. I read him the riot act and told him to leave me the fuck alone which he has done.

my neighbor moved the next week, I'm still quietly looking for him, revenge in a dish best served cold.......

Lol that guy sucked ass..
I smoke with my friends for fun only and don`t charge them.
I give this and that from time to time, but don`t have much to share...
Its not cool to ask friends for money and I don`t, but I cant share every day.
Quantity is important I think, if I had lets say 2kg I would share with everyone :blowbubbles:
PS I don`t sell.. Only smoke (;

Latest posts

Latest posts