What's new

Smoking with friends - Compensation?

Miss Blunted

Resident Bongtender
Veteran
I about piss my pants, when someone other than a couple growers I know in this thread (they're super generous), actually burns a joint with PTB and I. People just assume that you have more money and weed than them and don't think about the actual cost/lost profit of smoking with them all the time. I know that PTB and I can smoke a couple thousand dollars worth of weed in between runs. Our friends and family probably equal out to a few hundred of that....if not a lot more. BUT, we can afford it....we couldn't always do that...you have to know when to say "I just can't". If your buddy was in your situation, he'd be thinking the same thing. Weed=money in one way or another and that's the reality of it.

BigSwifty

I did the math, over the course of 1-2 years I've must of smoked with him 10-25 times, rounding off of course, and each time at least a gram of bud. Total that up it could hit an ounce, which would be close to $500...he's maybe reciprocated $50, $100.

I only read the first page, but I gotta agree with the people crying "stingy"!
So you smoked approximately 10 grams with him in a year's time by your estimation. But really it's only 5 grams since you're smoking the blunt with him. So 5 grams in a year... granted you want $30/gram for your stuff, but what does it cost you to grow it? Let's say $5/gram. So, he's into you for $25 over the course of a year... AND he moves a bunch of shit for you!!
Granted, you said he's not making you money... I mean, you obviously didn't ask him to do this for you. But then again, he IS doing it. He's moving shit for you that you'd have to move through someone else if he wasn't there, correct?
Totally fuckin' stingy, man! Just pack him a bong and don't roll blunts if you're so worried about nickels, dimes, and grams. You said yourself he only needs 2-3 bong hits....

S

SCROG McDuck

Once in a while, roll the spliff out of his bag... b4 he gets there.

It is almost common knowledge amongst us smokers that passin' the bud to your friend or someone in the circle is 'common courtesy'...

Growing up and not being rich middies/low grade weed was my/my friends only options...so sharing a blunt or a bowl was fine as in the end it was only a few dollars, at most. Now that I grow, this 'courtesy' is being re-thought..

One person knows I grow and although most believe telling nobody is the best route, he is my 'proxy', if you will. Anyway with the cost of weed being anything between 4-600 an ounce, a gram totals out to be 20-30 a gram. The average blunt I roll is .5-1gram. This 'friend' stops by and gets bud off me intermittently and when he does, we blaze. He sort of 'expects' me to blaze with him because he's buying off me. I normally smoke 1-2 blunts with him when he does, just because I want to smoke and he's here so I can't be 'stingy'...

With the economy in the toilet and all of us watching our pennies, smoking 20, 30 dollars worth of weed with a friend is not uncommon in a 2 hour period. This 'friend' always says he'll toss me a few bucks to blaze, but he never does. When he does, it's 5 or 10 dollars...not 20 or 30 which is closer to the actual cost.

Then, the kicker here is that i've smoked countless blunts and bongs with this dude and he never really compensates me appropriately either by tossing a few bucks in or by smoking me up at another time with good shit. He goes and gets an ounce for 80 dollars of some dry, nasty tasting garbage weed, rolls it up in a nasty ass blunt wrap and assumes this is his "contribution" to what he owes me.

I'm tempted to say something along the lines of dude, listen, I smoke with you all the time and rarely ask for money...and when you do toss me money it never really covers what you smoked, and this has been going on for awhile...so going forward if you wanna blaze please bring a few bucks to cover what you smoke...

On the other hand, I feel that it's a dick move knowing the 'culture' behind our plant. BUT...when you risk so much growing and the product is top notch and someone else will hand me $65 for an 8th...come on.

What do you feel? Do you think people should reciprocate financially or with quality weed?

I did the math, over the course of 1-2 years I've must of smoked with him 10-25 times, rounding off of course, and each time at least a gram of bud. Total that up it could hit an ounce, which would be close to $500...he's maybe reciprocated $50, $100.

I understand some of you have SO much weed on hand that it's no worry. Not all of us have that luxury though...

I would say it depends. If your low on meds or cash and its your only source of income then NO grow some balls and say sorry see ya later bro. Most people I deal with dont give a shit there just happy to have a funny guy to toke with. Whats a blunt or two that you end up smoking later. Words of advise be kind to the hand that feeds you.

_Dude

Tack the cost onto what you charge him. Start smoking bong hits, blunts are wasteful. Stop smoking around him. Those are my suggestions.

_Dude

He doesn't make money for me.
Damn straight he doesn't. You make money for him. Assuming he's getting something out of it, that is, not just passing it along (which would make him an idiot).

LOL @ the idea that he's making you money. WTF?

And stingy my ass. What it "costs"? The street price isn't where it is because of what it "costs," (at least not what it "costs" according to you guys). RISK is factored in there somewhere, and is by far the majority of that price. What, suddenly RISK gets factored out because he's a friend? Nope.

If I can sell something for a hundred bucks, and I give it to you for free, you're COSTING me a hundred bucks. Cuz that's what I gave up, in order to give it to you for free - a hundred bucks.

imadoofus

Veteran
your friend is definitely taking advantage of the situation. nothing is more annoying than a supposed ''friend'' with a sense of entitlement.

on the flip side, who said you were obligated to smoke a 1g blunt with his mooching butt? i would pack a small bowl, problem solved.

B

BOSCO

. He sort of 'expects' me to blaze with him because he's buying off me. I normally smoke 1-2 blunts with him when he does, just because I want to smoke and he's here so I can't be 'stingy'...

A long long time ago before I started growing I would buy hash off of my friend who was a dealer.
Not once did I buy a single gram off my friend without having a few tester joints first.
My friend never sold crap hash (soapbar) and even tho I was getting wholesale prices, no money was given until I was gourded.

Is it a case of your "friend" testing your wares before buying?....if so thats pretty normal :2cents:

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
A long long time ago before I started growing I would buy hash off of my friend who was a dealer.
Not once did I buy a single gram off my friend without having a few tester joints first.
My friend never sold crap hash (soapbar) and even tho I was getting wholesale prices, no money was given until I was gourded.

Is it a case of your "friend" testing your wares before buying?....if so thats pretty normal :2cents:

I agree about the testing, but man, if it takes you more than a 1/4 joint to get high off a hash joint, brother you need a new connect! I can't take more than 3 hits of my QWISO or I have a hard time walkin, and I'm a big guy!

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
The culture is changing man. Weed isn't forty bucks an ounce anymore.

I wouldn't say anything I just wouldn't smoke when he's around. Tell him you are already stoned, or are staying sober.

Things are different now. Weed costs so much. The whole thing is much less sociable.
It used to be if you had weed you smoked people up. Now everyone "matches up", and lots of people only toke alone.

Me too for that matter, I'm not a grower anymore and the stuff costs a fortune. I can't just toke people up all the time. The way I look at it is like a meal. If I say "you want to go get something to eat?". I don't mean I'm buying your meal.

It is sad though. The old stereotype of a guy with a big joint looking for 2-3 folks to toke it with is disappearing. If you toked you were invited. It was sociable thing and you could meet people. It meant something to be a stoner, you could toke with people just because they were a toker too. It was still like a little clique. 420 stuff is everywhere now and seems dumb, but back in the day it was like a secret password. You could just mention something about 420 casually and end up sneaking off to a toke session with a new buddy.

But its also a nice sign today of the times in a different way though. Now weed has much less stigma. Being a toker doesn't mean anything anymore. Nobody cares. Just because you have it doesn't mean you have to share it and just because someone is also a toker doesn't make him mean anything to you.

Last edited:

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
I smoke out every person who enters my house-- I would not charge, nor would I accept $$ for my decision to smoke with you--
But...if you happen to bring something good to smoke with me...it is always appreciated!!:tiphat:

zomg1

if you want to charge this guy for every session he's not your friend, he's a customer, i'll smoke up my friends all day because i can.
if im losing money to some custy cause he wants to blaze everytime i see him i just tell him im busy and don't wanna blaze, since they're holding a big bag of weed its never a problem, we just go our separate ways

whodair

Veteran
Smoking with friends - Compensation?

are you and I ... coreligionists ?? do you light the menorah ??

B. Friendly

"IBIUBU" Sayeith the Dude
Veteran
I charge my buddies cost plus 1 dollar per gram, so they typically get mj at between 4-5 dollars. and that's gouging since my mj cost about 2-2.50 to produce. So it's $5 per g and the price goes down according to baggie size. I find out what an oz is wholesale when sold in a p and that's my marker for top price to buddies.

funny how each buddy has a different scale for buying, lol, the better the buddy the better the hook up!!!!!!

that's how I roll

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You know I have to give my opinion on this.....

This "friend" comes to your house and picks up 65 dollar eighths for his friends. You only have to worry about him, but he's taking a chance getting busted by all the people he picks stuff up for. And you said that you're doing him the favor?

And you're stressing out that you've smoked 500 dollars worth of bud with him in 2 years? That figures out to about 20 bucks or so a month. He's taking the risk getting rid of your bud for you with you having no worries. You should be flipping him more than that for taking the risk.....

Last edited:

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
I charge my buddies cost plus 1 dollar per gram, so they typically get mj at between 4-5 dollars. and that's gouging since my mj cost about 2-2.50 to produce. So it's $5 per g and the price goes down according to baggie size. I find out what an oz is wholesale when sold in a p and that's my marker for top price to buddies.

funny how each buddy has a different scale for buying, lol, the better the buddy the better the hook up!!!!!!

that's how I roll

No bro...it is not about what they are buying...it is about the weed you smoke with ppl when they come over--
I consider it "Overhead"--:tiphat:

B. Friendly

Veteran
yeah smoking is no big deal, if I am gonna smoke a spliff then nothing wrong with sharing

but i know where people are coming from, if the same guy comes over and never puts in he's not a friend but a friend of a friend, or rather a mouch

if these guys are comin over empty handed they would never make it into my circle.

Cheap dudes will bring your whole show down, I believe rip off artists are all pretty cheap to begin with. lol

I have no ill thought towards my longest buddies who not only expect a hook up but desirve one, I rely heavily on these guys for goin to the hydro store and all that!!!!!!

I

InvisibleEmpire

You know I have to give my opinion on this.....

This "friend" comes to your house and picks up 65 dollar eighths for his friends. You only have to worry about him, but he's taking a chance getting busted by all the people he picks stuff up for. And you said that you're doing him the favor?

And you're stressing out that you've smoked 500 dollars worth of bud with him in 2 years? That figures out to about 20 bucks or so a month. He's taking the risk getting rid of your bud for you with you having no worries. You should be flipping him more than that for taking the risk.....

When someone asks you to go buy weed for them, i consider that a favor. Just because I grow doesn't make it any less of a favor...

That's his problem...I am not burdened by the worry that he might possibly someday get himself in trouble...I trust he won't roll over on me, he was already stopped and searched after buying weed from me but the K9's couldn't find it. He kept his mouth shut.

I see this dude like maybe once a month or once every 2 months...i just rounded off numbers i don't know exact amounts but nevertheless multiple people have reiterated i've been very generous and he has yet to reciprocate truly...

B. Friendly

Veteran
always hook those guys up who are there for you and especially those guys who would hook you up but are to hurt physically an mentally to get around to it.