What's new

Smoking with friends - Compensation?

Incognegro

I noticed my coolest friends and even family will insist on putting down money and not accepting free weed knowing how expensive it is.

Where the fuck to YOU live!? I need to move there!
No one knows I grow...b4 my last hiatus, a few people did... but all ties are broken with them now, and have moved since then. But when they knew, i KEPT getting calls about getting "a hook up" Fuckers had the nerve to call in teh middle of the night for dime, or whatever, and then I was expected to drive 30mins to drop it off!! LMAO

Other people knowing you grow can always be a hassle...they've got something over your head at all times (they know you grow, or "did")

Now that no one knows I grow, except for my 5 alter egos, it's easier to be more resilient to the masses; but then again, I always give out "sample packs" to potential connects, or buyers, and also to my workers who smoke...it's part of the business. BUT, it's just one person, and he's constantly bugging you, ya..he's got to go, lol...He'd be fertilizer if it got outta hand, AND he knew I grew...oh ya... fertilizer for sure..

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
LOl...I have never heard those words together--
Heard of Mexi-Brick.......but never Cali--
Maybe Mexi-Cali?? lol

Thats probably because you are in cali.

We see mostly medical now, but prior to that we'd see a lot of lower grade cali outdoor being sold around spring. All the good stuff gets sold through winter, than as summer approaches you see more and more stuff that was probably lower branches, runts, low light plants, etc. Stuff people didn't want until there was a shortage of grass and they were willing to take what they can find. Its vacuum sealed into a brick like consistency, and sold around the country.

Its like beaster, but cali origin instead of canada. Just b-c grade outdoor buds. Even some D. Hermie's, seeds, immature buds, etc. We still see it in the summer.

Applesauce

To the original poster, it depends on the situation. You're the only one that can really see his intent. I've had some of those same type of people around and it is so hard when you feel people truly don't appreciate you. That's when you need to make a stand. Which it looks like you're starting to do, so good for you.

Kalbhairav

~~ ॐ नमः शिवाय ~~
Veteran
If one of my true friends want some for their personal then I always say- 'give me what you think it's worth or whatever you want.' I never expect money because I hate to think of growing this amazing plant for profit. So, it's by donation. Sometimes I get nothing if a friend hasn't got any money. From my last grow at least half an ounce went out free (and it wasn't a big harvest). I've also been known to swap a bit of smoke for home grown vegetables.

Always make sure that people who come to your house as guests are well fed and comfortable. They shouldn't want for anything. And when I go to my friends house it's the same..

Even though a lot of peeps hold bud in high regard and spend a lot of time, money and energy in growing the best weed out there, one shouldn't forget to be human before all else.

It seems both of you have issues in this friendship. Or is it an arrangement?

RockyMountainHi

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with th
Veteran
Being a student of "Free Wheelin Franklin" from the Fabulious Furry Freak Brothers, I learned at an early age, "Dope will get you thru times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no dope".

And it's still true today.

If you can't afford to share, don't. You said this was a friend. Friends don't charge friends for smoking them out. When you come to my house, you get food if you're hungry/drink if you're thirsty. I don't expect payment and wouldn't accept it if offered. That's just how I roll. If I feel someone is taking advantage, they're not invited back.

This is exactly my attitude. :tiphat:

Baba Ku

Veteran
You could look at it like this...
It is the price you pay for running your mouth. The situation you describe with your so called friend would scare the shit out of me. Any disagreement, or bad vibes, and you could be fucked royal. Hell, you really don't have to do anything now...it is all in his hands. If he fucks up, you are fucked. Actually, you are fucked now..it is just a matter of time. :dunno:

Bad move. Never talk about fight club. It doesn't matter how well you think you know them or how loyal and cool you think they are. Your ass comes second to theirs, and that will never change. No matter what you may think.

Shut down the grow and tell him that the heat is on you. Chase his ass off with lies...and keep you mouth shut from now on. It is just that simple.
I personally don't want bad vibes with you, but you are a classic example of a person who violates the number one rule of growing pot.
If you can't handle the secret, then you need to get out of the game. It is just that simple...or, stop crying and live with your mistakes.
Personally I would fix the issue without hesitation.

I always smoke out my friends and never ask for anything in return, but the main word is "friends" if they are real friends they will help you out when you need it.

S

SCROG McDuck

BIONIC>>>
If you can't afford to share, don't. You said this was a friend. Friends don't charge friends for smoking them out. When you come to my house, you get food if you're hungry/drink if you're thirsty. I don't expect payment and wouldn't accept it if offered. That's just how I roll. If I feel someone is taking advantage, they're not invited back.

I agrree.. 100%.. at my home.

I've reciently moved and my 'friends' are not 'commutable'.. 1100 miles..

MJ is 'very' illegal in Florida. People are parinoid, like you can not believe.. (maybe it's just me?)

Smoking with potential friends, leaves me with a yard stick to measure future friends...
I'm not looking for $$s.. a beer at the local, shows character..
not buying one for the guy, future friend? or sucker getting me high?, that got you high>>>> cheap fuck! not a friend.

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
Back when I was still buying it, for a time I would always go in on an ounce with a friend of mine. We smoked and hung out on a daily basis, so it seemed like a good scenario. We'd match each other bowls and re-up when we ran out.

Then my friend started selling some of his share to a third party. Not a ton, but enough that he ran out sooner than I did, so I'd end up smoking him out for a couple of days before we reupped.

After a few months of this, I started to get kinda offended. He was selling a portion of his, so re-upping was costing him less. I was NOT selling any of mine... and then I was smoking HIM out when he ran out early (because he sold some). I told him that we couldn't continue doing things that way, because I was subsidizing his habit. He knew he would run out early and he knew that I would get him high for free.

He never understood my point of view. Sure, I was free to sell some of mine if I wanted... but I didn't want to. I just wanted things to be fair when we smoked together.

If I were well off financially or I was sitting on a couple of lbs I wouldn't give a shit.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
buy your friend a package of seeds and a package of CFL bulbs and the next time he comes by to burn your bud hand him those instead.

“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime”—Author unknown

you'd be doing your friend a favor.......

E

el dub

I had to distance myself from a "friend," last year. (I'd known him for a decade or so.) The guy ended up being the biggest mooch I've ever known, and that's coming from someone who gives weed to friends for free.

Last year I got so tired of his mooching ways that I stopped returning his calls. So dude got rip roaring drunk one day and came over "to use the bathroom." He knew I was home, but I didn't answer the door, os he walked in. Anyway, I wasn't real happy, made that perfectly clear and that was the last time I saw him.

lw

my view on it is my friends usually give when they can (not just smoke... food, money, w.e). if i need something, they will try to help me out if they can.
so I help them out where i can as well...

friends who are stingy to me... im the same way to them.
and they usually arent my friend too much longer, if they ever really were... some people only know how to use people unfortunatly...

RudolfTheRed

Veteran
if you smoke him up and nothing is discussed beforehand about compensation then don't expect to be compensated. a lot of people that buy from a dealer expect the dealer to smoke them up for free. why is he going to smoke you up when he just bought a quarter to last him the week and you've got a big fucking bag just sitting there? i never understood that. of course the dealer doesn't have to smoke anyone up, but if the dealer is going to offer me a smoke, and i just paid you for a bag, i doubt i'm going to compensate you even further.

i smoke at home only (99.99%) of the time and anyone that comes over to smoke is not expected to pay me a god damn dime. if i want to smoke you up i will if i don't want to i wait for you to leave. its that simple. if i expected compensation i would say something upfront like "you need to throw down on this too.." or something a long those lines, but then again i grow and have my own stashes for a reason so i can smoke as much as i like when i like, and it costs me about 1/4th what i'd pay on the street for it so i can certainly smoke people up for free that are still buying bags and dealing with outrageous street prices as it is.

there is nothing that says just because you have weed you have to smoke everyone else up. fucking hippies eat shit. but if you do don't always expect money is return. i don't look at my stash as a way to make money off friends.

D

darkhorse

i used to give my bud away to friends apart from the odd bit to fund
the next grow then i got busted and im lucky if i could have got a few
draws of a joint off any of them.
now i would rather just put left over bud in the bin than give it out.

Stress_test

I'm always here when I'm not someplace else
Veteran
It is almost common knowledge amongst us smokers that passin' the bud to your friend or someone in the circle is 'common courtesy'... Almost a ritual for some.

Growing up and not being rich middies/low grade weed was my/my friends only options... so sharing a blunt or a bowl was fine as in the end it was only a few dollars, at most.

And you gotta keep in mind that he "is" your proxy and therefore might be worth sharing some of the good shit with him so he remembers why he keeps buying yours.

It really isn't that he smokes my weed for free even. It's that when he makes the effort to repay the favor, all he can afford is that cheap street crap.

Hell he could have given me the $20 and shared 2 more "good" blunts with me.

mtbazz

I dont think the OP is being stingy, cheap or selfish. This shit does not come to us for free. In addition to paying for grow medium and nutes, it takes electricity, and there is risk involved.

I'm lucky in that I have a good job and make decent money. As a result I've been able to be generous to friends in the past, spending all day smoking people out, and even giving some away to those less fortunate than myself (ranging from a gram or two to a full oz to someone who was really hard up), but these days times are really tough for me and I no longer do that, I myself am down to watching literally every penny that goes out the door. I'll still smoke with people, but instead of partying up with a couple of grams or two at a time, it'll be a couple of puffs from a bowl, and no more freebie buds either.

IMO people who have an EXPECTATION of getting something for free, even if its you smoking them out with 2-3 grams of your stash at a time are the ones with the problem, not you.