What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Smell of skunk (weed and animal)

Skunk smells like freshly molded still hot rubber, with hints of putrid rotting organic matter and freshly decaying flesh. Thats the best way i can describe it from smelling it at least once a week for years. The only times I don't get the pleasure of smelling it is during the depths of winter when they hibernate.

SO to answer your question, no skunky beer does not come close to the true smell of a skunk. I've only once ever had herb that had that rank, permeating smell and that was in my early days. It was only my 3rd time ever smoking when I got those golf ball buds and it absolutely blew me away. That quarter lasted me over 2 months worth of occasional pinners. I had to keep it n the garage and my mom swore we had a skunk living in there. Never saw that herb again and still all these years later have never gotten anything that smelled the same or even anything that had such a powerful odor.

I remember so well that day i payed 20 dollars for buds that looked like golfballs and smelled like roadkill. The nugs were so flouresent green and orange.the second i had them in my possesion,i ditched my classes that day in highschool because i was so afraid of getting busted.the way these nugs reaked it was inevitable.the looks i got from my classmates told the story.so i ran home and my experience with the real deal road kill began.i found some very large seeds which to this day i have never forgave myself for not starting and losing them. I was a freshman and didnt realize the situation at hand. I recently picked up some seedsman original skunk#1 fems and im hoping so much that i get reunited with that skunk unk unk!!! Ps..ive read that a secrete ingredient to bring that roadkill smell and flavor out of the plant is an old staple organic nutrient....wait for it....fish emulsions.(i use alaska brand)

1G12

Skunky beer, skunk cabbage and some skunky weed all have a particular skunky smell, but that smell is not entirely the same as roadkill skunk which has a sort of burnt rubber odor mixed in with the shit, piss and vomit smells which gives the skunk it's je-ne-sais-quoi

I've always said that skunk spray smells like a burned tire...weed smells more sweet.

JimmyToucan

Lots of skunks round these parts and depending on the concentration there absolutely are sweet notes in there, along with the overlying acrid and petroleum tones. I mostly get it from live skunks that are just carrying around the funk as opposed to one that has just sprayed or mowed down by a vehicle. In heavy doses that shit will make your eyes water though.

PRIMªL HªZE

Are these old seeds or are they reworked from the old 80's stock?

The seeds coming up on offer at BR are original seeds from Sam Skunkman. Not reworked... Germ rates around 10%...

Would be interesting to compare the 2 offerings w one another. :biggrin:

That's a good question, I was thinking the same after reading about these BR seeds. I would venture to guess they aren't the original seeds from RC, but a repro of those. Not much info about them except this:

"New Skunk

Not so new skunk but a new version of this old time classic. MNS has released a version to try and help those who are looking for that old skunk phenotype that has that unique skunk aroma...yet it will take some selection but will satisfy those on this quest.....good hunting.

Also named “Road Kill”

new skunk 7 to 9wks flowering

Costs are € 50,- for 15 seeds ( but we always add some more)

I must mention to you that New Skunk apparently needs some more info added to, as Shanti told me members are after “Road Kill” and they can “maybe “ find this in these packs but more a possibility to find in random of 2 packs, just wanted to mention this to you to avoid disappointment!"

and:

"I did ask Shanti about the new Skunk (really the Old School Skunk) back in 2013....

(the new skunk line is from an old seed batch dating back to 89 which came from the skunk boys at the time. I believe you will find some new smells in this series..)

Then I asked if they got it through Nevil or Sam and if I could find RKS.

(well not from nevil or sam but rob clarke...but it is related i expect.
whether you find a road kill in it or not is up to numbers and selection imo...all the best sb)"

So maybe these seeds were made in '89. IDK... the mystery got to me... i couldn't help but order. The seeds from Sam seem to be what all the rks fans have been waiting for. I hope after these seeds get grown out, this RKS thirst can finally be quenched.

SeedsOfFreedom

Veteran
I know DNA is hated on enough here, but have any of you tired the RKS from them? Its "Really Killer Skunk". I am not sure if I am old enough to have had any real Road Kill from back in the day. I do remember really stinky Skunk x Afghans from the 90s. Like good Super Skunks.

Anyway the DNA RKS is a super stinky, funky, wrank skunk when grown right. They reek of skunk, with a lot of rotten fruit, wine and sweetness mixed in the smell. Taste is straight up old funky skunky with sweet rotten fruit , pretty nice buzz too. Definitely something different. The plants are floppy and need some support, but yield nicely. There is some range in the strain but all plants are skunks of some type.

I made a cross with my Sour OG and it is fucking incredible funky skunky weed. I will be working it in the future. I do love skunky herb.

Elixir

Thanks for the detailed explanation GT! So the Dutch Skunk#1 is just a name, and got no link to the actual Skunk scent I take it.

obiewanshinobi

My first seed purchase ever in 2002, from a kind seeds ad on inside cover of high times, was feminized skunk #1 by dutch passion and that fit the RKS description pretty well. Bright green and heavy orange hairs and boy oh boy did it stink. Even in veg it was too much stink for me but that skunk got around to a lot of people who loved growing it because you couldn't grow it bad. Super hardy.

After growing several swag bag seeds, those skunk plants opened my eyes to what good genetics could produce.

Peripheral

A literal dead skunk smell can be found in almost any pheno of Sensi's skunk #1

Goes from rotten strawberry in bloom, to a putrid roadkill skunk after its dried.. And they are cheap seeds compared to Sensi's other offerings..

III%

I'll post some dried bud pics in a day or two. I think I have perfected it in my last few runs, I feel like this plant is a winner if I have ever seen one. Not a cash cropper but from a smokers point of view it's a champagne of cannabis.

Skunk smell is in the feeding as much as genetics imo. Sometimes i wonder if its just an untrained nose thing...still have people that tell me strains reek like skunk when i cant smell it at all if barely now

R

Rox

seedism cheesewreck has the skunk funk to it and it will lay u out

Thanks for the recommendation, I've got a seedism exodus drying as we speak.. i hope to be able to sample it in a week orso:tiphat: will have to try the cheesewreck:tiphat:

hazefreak

Thanks for the recommendation, I've got a seedism exodus drying as we speak.. i hope to be able to sample it in a week orso:tiphat: will have to try the cheesewreck:tiphat:

Cheesewreck, a pal of mine done a couple of runs from seed a very worthy hybid I think. Had a mix ofphenos the 50/50 one was a stinker and one hardcore ssmoke.

Shame it stinks so much!!:laughing: