What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Smell of skunk (weed and animal)

burningfire

Veteran
Yup, non alcoholic heineken is very hoppy and skunky.
Burnt Rubber is also very similar.

and weirdly enough, burnt pop corn has that top end aroma a lot of strains don't have.. it doesn't have the Funk of a skunk.

There's plenty of strains that have some skunky quality but they are more musky than skunky.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Another point I'd like to raise is how do you so easily breed out such heavy stink.

It's like if I was to breed og kush, that smell permeates for generations. How would you so quickly turn a horribly stinky strain into a sweet one.

that sam skunkman is one helluva breeder
took the classic desireable traits out of a strain for which it is named... creating endless desire for those traits and also naming himself after the traits that are lost....

FireIn.TheSky

No. Farts smell like methane and a bit of hydrogen sulfide.

Are you people without a proper olfactory system??

My years as a child touching and smelling everything have been of benefit apparently.:laughing:

dank.Frank

I was out in NY for a bit some years ago and the water had high sulfur content.

When you'd turn on the faucet it would literally smell like someone laid a rotten egg fart in your face.
It was repulsive and nasty.

Here is a good article on the origins articalnd usage of the term skunk and how it pertains to weed and it's misuse.

https://www.leafly.com/news/cannabis-101/what-is-skunk-cannabis

P.s, dank frank you seem like a genuine fart connoisseur, congrats everybody has to be good at something. Your special talent seems to be breaking down the subtle nuances of gas from the ass. Waft that shit right up your nose like a somelier with a fine glass of merlot.

I can almost envision you driving around in your prius with the windows rolled up doing the old waft and whiff, rambling on about the rotten egg notes, with hints of nutty dog shit.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Lolololo

It's more about using Sulphur to pull out the skunk smell you legend...

So, in order to increase the RKS smell in strains that have a nuance of it, you have to reduce the pH? Because, you know, that is what sulfur does when applied to soil.

Maybe I'm missing the funny "lolololo" part of the conversation?

P.s, dank frank you seem like a genuine fart connoisseur, congrats everybody has to be good at something. Your special talent seems to be breaking down the subtle nuances of gas from the ass. Waft that shit right up your nose like a somelier with a fine glass of merlot.

I can almost envision you driving around in your prius with the windows rolled up doing the old waft and whiff, rambling on about the rotten egg notes, with hints of nutty dog shit.

We all have to be good at something. ;)

dank.Frank

resin_lung

I cough up honey oil
Veteran
This is an interesting thread.

What do people who have never smelled real skunk think the weed might smell like?

What do those who have smelled the animal but never the weed think the weed should smell like?

The truth is that skunks don't need to get run over to stink up the neighborhood!

I guess they can be smelled farther away and for possibly a longer time when they're run over because that stank goes down the road with the car and every other car that follows, but a skunk that sprays in defense smells just as bad imo.

The smell is delicious when you first catch a whif from the other side of the mountain, but it changes the closer you get to ground zero. Beyond it just being louder! It completely transforms! It goes from a pleasant stank, to rather dank, and way past rank, to something that can "make a shy bald Buddhist reflect and plan a mass murder"!! lol

It's like the full spectrum of a scent!

Smell of skunk weed wasn't really like that. It was somewhere in the middle of the "spectrum" and didn't change. The strength changed, like say if you were crushing bud to roll a joint verses if it was well bagged and in a drawer, but the scent didn't.

I think that's why my mother in law would
always be the first to say "ohh... someone hit a skunk" with certainty but would seem confused? That's when I would make like I was smelling my pits and apologize for not using deodorant! Haha but she'd still insist... "nooo someone hit a skunk"!lol ahh a little mindfuck goes a long way.

"These are not the droids your searching for"ha

So exactly what the weed should smell like isn't as easy as saying it should smell like a roadkill.

How far from the squished skunk should it smell?:biggrin:

These are the things that keep me up at night!:)lol

Golden Tree

thanks for saving me the time of making you sound stupid Stank Frank!

You are so good at doing it to yourself!

Tell us about Gypsum....sulphur....tell us what it does to the soil?

I guess it just increases PH

Continue legend...

I just love love love talking with you...

Golden Tree

Let's help....

Gypsum....

If you are running a cultivar in organics...living soil...with some skunk smells...

And you would like to bring that out a little more...or make it more pronounced...

You can add Gupsum...which is sulphur...

Add a tablespoon to a top dress...at transition to flower..and 1/2 tablespoon week 2-3 flower...

Ignore what moron said...as he hasn't ran an organic garden in who knows how long...if EVER..or even grown a plant in years..it won't crash your PH...and im sure Stank has never sat and ran side by sides with gypsum...as he's not that good...just proclaims he is!

You can bubbble it with some lime if you want to but...it really isn't necessary...just a dummy pushing opinion...

Sulphur...which is also a compound in Skunk Spray...again...read Frank!

Lol

Is a vital mineral used in pulling out flavours and smells in flowering plants...for centuries!

It's HUGE in increasing Odor and flavour..and does little to PH when a real gardener knows how to use it...

It will change your game...and you'll never go without

Chem Dog Is amazing...

But if you add Gypsum in flower...its a WHOLE new level of stank....hey Dank

Grow a plant or two...than come measure your clit

GT

burningfire

Veteran
I've been using seaweed extract for the past few years and from what I've gathered they're a good source of sulphur.. in my experience it really does improve on the intensity of the smell but I don't think it will substitute genetics. There's plenty of plants with a skunky edge to their aromas that just don't fit the bill because there's some sweetness or fruitiness layered over or they're missing that "burnt popcorn" quality.. I can't describe that aroma well enough at the moment.

Golden Tree

No fund needed...

I get help from so many good dudes in this community..but through the proper passing of science...knowledge..and real information..not outdated growers...Like Dank..and IC fan boys...

Last post...

Apolgies To Guy...

I'm sorry for polluting your thread..

Hugs

GT

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^^ LOL. I mean right. F' me for asking a question and not understanding how something I've been using for YEARS makes no quantifiable difference in terp analysis.

GT is just pissed because I was right about blueberry. I think if someone went off on me like that in person, I'd literally fall to the floor laughing with tears streaming down my face.

dank.Frank

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Notice his failure to quantify his assertion with any cannabis relevant data. Just name calling, belittling, and him telling us how much better and stinkier his weed is. In the face of his accusations, it falls nothing short sheer hypocrisy.

I wasn't going to address this at all. I was just going to do the east coast pimp thing and dust my shoulder off. However, I had a really good sesh and conversation with a buddy last night and this thread came up. So did the PMs that got sent. You think what was said here is unbecoming...well. The attacks are baseless and so far fetched it ceased to have any impact aside from that of humor and in reflection a bit of pity and remorse.

When someone just says "sulfur" I by default think "elemental sulfur", Tiger 90. Not various amendments that have a primary use but also contain plant available SULFATE.

In that context, my question to him about lowering pH makes perfect sense and is not incorrect. In terms of sulfate being used to increase terps, I can't say I've ever seen any sort of documentation to this effect in cannabis and my usage of gypsum hasn't substantiated this from an anecdotal perspective.

He could have clicked the link that has been in my signature for a couple years now and seen that what I consider a basic (bare essentials) amendment recipe includes MORE gypsum than he suggests using. It just further reinforces the absolute absurdity of his rant.

I've obviously offended him and hurt his feelings in the past. In my experience, people don't respond that way without what they view as a justifiable causes. Wasn't my intention. Perception is an amazing thing in how it shapes our reality. I'm big enough to publicly apologize for any past offense I wasn't aware of that allowed him to build up such a malicious venom designated just for me. I suppose I could feel special, but I don't want to occupy that type of emotional head space in anyone's existence. I'm not a troll and don't gain from others suffering or misery and therefore I don't want him to continue to harbor this negative energy. For that purpose, I make this concession and this apology.

IC is for sharing my journey as it pertains to cannabis. I keep other aspects of my world private. Exactly the same way I treat cannabis in the rest of my life outside of IC. I'll not be goaded into sharing aspects of my world that I feel create an unnecessary risk.

dank.Frank

Golden Tree

Guy...I would sincerely like to apologize again that this is still occurring on your thread...

My apologies sir

Private message me gentleman if you want to continue this...or come to my page...

GT

Latest posts

Latest posts