What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Smell of skunk (weed and animal)

Ollie

Veteran
Hey everybody,
Is the original smell of the skunk cannabis strain the same as
a fresh opened bottle Heineken beer and does the animal skunk even smell the same, like this article suggests?

https://beersensoryscience.wordpress.com/2011/03/17/lightstruck/

I am looking for a strain with that typical '90s weed beer smell.
The unique aroma which You describe, is due to a high amount of Myrcene. So a Myrcene rich variety would be a good place to start the search.

Big up

Ollie

Veteran
Shouldn't that be humulene?
It is all about the combo.

Talking hops (Citra Hops), the terpene profile are rather "complex", in terms of primary and secondary/minor constituents.

Myrcene is the primary terpenoid, followed with an array of secondary and minors, which all adds up to the complex aroma/s and ones perception of such.

A variety with humulene as a primary terpenoid, should lack the depth and complexity (ie. kinda like only having/perceiving the top note in a perfume, rather than the complex top/middle/base combo)

So I would still say, that a Myrcene dominant variety is where to look at.

burningfire

Veteran
It seems that the skunky smell in beer is due to isohumulone, which is not related to humulene.

but like you mentioned it's not due to a single terpene. There's obviously some Limonene in the mix as well.

MedResearcher

Veteran
All the truely RKS'ish pot I have encountered was fairly narrow leaf.

Had very hashy leaf, I am assuming from the afghani.

I think instead of searching for it in all these poly hybrid lines, it might be easier to try to reproduce the original cross.

The land race genetics would be hard to source, but with the amount of networking available today, and the legality of the scene I could see a joint project being possible.

What was the original cross, according to Sam? Mexican x Afghani x Columbian?

Deep Chunk seems like a pretty pure afghani. Mexican is tough, maybe could find some in Big Sur, or Mexico. Heard Columbian can still be found on the rare occasion in Columbia.

Someone should start a joint project. Besides sourcing the land races, growing the populations out is tons of work as well. I would be up for contributing to it.

Mr^^

Golden Tree

Lots of trading and work going on behind the scenes in attempts to revive her...and as this thread shows...it's a topic of much HEATED debate...

I agree with you...the more we share and work lines together...trade notes...cuts etc..the closer we will get...

Share brothers...it's why we are all here...

Hugs...

GT

Ollie

Veteran
It seems that the skunky smell in beer is due to isohumulone, which is not related to humulene.

but like you mentioned it's not due to a single terpene. There's obviously some Limonene in the mix as well.
Thanks for posting in, there is no doubt that Myrcene alone, aint what accounts for the complexity seeked, but rather acts as a "canvas", in which the other secondary and minor terpenoids do there magic.

It will be fun to see how Brothers Grimms skunk line will do, which is up for release later this year afaik.

Big up

burningfire

Veteran
The interesting thing is that the perceived aroma changes depending on the concentration level.

Here's a site I've been visiting for a few years, this page is about myrcene, go down to the Organoleptic Properties section

http://www.thegoodscentscompany.com/data/rw1016531.html

at 5% concentration they use these words to describe the aroma : terpenic herbal woody rose celery carrot

at 10% woody vegetable citrus fruity tropical mango leafy minty

also if you do use the website make sure you have the exact terpene

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yall seen the Cultivators Choice thread in Chimeras forum?

I'm just waiting for the drop of CC pre Dutch Skunk now. Extremely limited!

PRIMªL HªZE

Just like with food, when your around it a lot your nose becomes fatigued and builds tolerance to smells.

That's for sure.

They've been offering 80's rks "New Skunk" over at MNS for awhile now. Someone posted that the seeds originally came from Rob Clarke. I'm looking/smelling through these new skunk and Devil, another afghan/sk line from the 80's.

I enjoyed SkunkVA's podcast. He really went into depth about the '91 and SD. It's funny how the RKS keeps being mentioned, also the SSSC and Nevil.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran

There are only a kilo of these seeds. I am already in on this. 200 beans. Hoping for 40 plants. Open pollination from there.

Will be tossing many other projects for this. I have been waiting for these so long. Bye bye boring stone elite cuts, I plan to find that awesome high I have been missing for years.

Will I find the RKS funk, I don't know, but I know I will find that high quality high that I have been missing. If the rks is to be found, best chances will be in this line. From what I understand these are pre Dutch seeds but will take some work to find the funk.

Have not been this excited about beans since, well, ever I guess.

Big huge thanks to Sam and Chimera for bringing these back to light!

SeedsOfFreedom

Veteran
There are only a kilo of these seeds. I am already in on this. 200 beans. Hoping for 40 plants. Open pollination from there.

Will be tossing many other projects for this. I have been waiting for these so long. Bye bye boring stone elite cuts, I plan to find that awesome high I have been missing for years.

Will I find the RKS funk, I don't know, but I know I will find that high quality high that I have been missing. If the rks is to be found, best chances will be in this line. From what I understand these are pre Dutch seeds but will take some work to find the funk.

Have not been this excited about beans since, well, ever I guess.

Big huge thanks to Sam and Chimera for bringing these back to light!

If you need someone to store those elite cuts you speak of...

Seriously sounds like a good plan, are you going to clone all plants, then open pollinate, then do 1:1 crosses with the clones after? I would keep clones of that first generation, but it's your project! Good luck anyway, these seeds do sound exciting.

Elixir

I've never smell a real Skunk before about I could never link an animal's smell to a plant! One some Skunk#1 variants that i've planted, the smell of burnt rubber, mixed with organic materials is so strong even during the veg stage and the smell travels quite some distance.
So is Skunk #1 smell very identical to the real animal's?

Golden Tree

No sir...

A North American skunk is one badass dude!

If you are hit with his chemical warfare...

It's similar to the effects of pepper spray or mace...

The ODOR is so strong and concentrated it will make most vomit...

I've been around these guys for years...they are a very adaptable animal..living mostly in the wild...but like raccoons...they benefit from our symbiotic relationship..

Cities...and garbage

If one is 6 houses down...you will smell a faint skunk odor on the wind...as he gets closer...you will smell a stronger skunk odor...and if he's in your garbage....back up slowly...and no sudden movements..

If one is hit on the highway or road...you will smell him Up to a 1/2 mile away with a wind...maybe more

Dutch Skunk 1 is floral

mr.brunch

Veteran
No skunk animals in the U.K. ..... the skunk weed that we used to get (early 90s) Had that beer smell only stronger - although most of the time we were smoking hash and seeded import weed

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That's for sure.

They've been offering 80's rks "New Skunk" over at MNS for awhile now. Someone posted that the seeds originally came from Rob Clarke. I'm looking/smelling through these new skunk and Devil, another afghan/sk line from the 80's.

Are these old seeds or are they reworked from the old 80's stock?

The seeds coming up on offer at BR are original seeds from Sam Skunkman. Not reworked... Germ rates around 10%...

Would be interesting to compare the 2 offerings w one another. :biggrin:

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
If you need someone to store those elite cuts you speak of...

Seriously sounds like a good plan, are you going to clone all plants, then open pollinate, then do 1:1 crosses with the clones after? I would keep clones of that first generation, but it's your project! Good luck anyway, these seeds do sound exciting.

Yes that is exactly how I am going to do it. :tiphat:

These are old seeds with a 10 - 15% germination rate. But packs of 100 will be fine. I'm hoping for 40 plants out of a few packs.

Also hopefully make a few crosses outside this year as well.