What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Smell of skunk (weed and animal)

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Or you could just quantify your statements about SULFATE and it's role in the activation or modulation of terpene synthases in cannabis.

The original question by OP was answered. The rest of the thread is directly relevant to that answer.

The thread only dies or is ruined if you fail to answer the above question.

dank.Frank

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Guys, please have a good smoke or vape and stop the fight! It is totally unneccessary. We all have our problems, this day or another. Tomorrow you will regret it, i believe. So please stop it today. And, Frank, my initial question isnt answered fully.
I still haven't heard any recommendations for a strain with that typical 90s weed BEER smell. At least thats for me the typical skunk weed smell from mid to late 90s in middle europe. Where I believe it came from the Netherlands. Also during the first trip to Amsterdam in '92 the skunk from the coffeeshops was just like that. I dont know, is it the same today? Last time I checked I've been trying different smokes. But now I know I miss that classic beer smell and if anyone knows a skunk or related line that throw these phenos, please say a word.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Everyone is looking for the skunky funk.

Some places to look....

Mr. Nice skunk kush or skunk affie

Female seeds - skunk special

Good luck and let us know if you find it!

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Most dead skunk smelling thing I've had in the garden in years was the Deathstar cut.

ECSD x Sensi Star. I've not seen that profile surface in other ECSD workings, so I'd suggest taking a peek into the Sensi Star. Although, it's not the same as it used to be.

dank.Frank

PDX Dopesmoker

This is an interesting thread.

What do people who have never smelled real skunk think the weed might smell like?

What do those who have smelled the animal but never the weed think the weed should smell like?

The truth is that skunks don't need to get run over to stink up the neighborhood!

I guess they can be smelled farther away and for possibly a longer time when they're run over because that stank goes down the road with the car and every other car that follows, but a skunk that sprays in defense smells just as bad imo.

The smell is delicious when you first catch a whif from the other side of the mountain, but it changes the closer you get to ground zero. Beyond it just being louder! It completely transforms! It goes from a pleasant stank, to rather dank, and way past rank, to something that can "make a shy bald Buddhist reflect and plan a mass murder"!! lol

It's like the full spectrum of a scent!

Smell of skunk weed wasn't really like that. It was somewhere in the middle of the "spectrum" and didn't change. The strength changed, like say if you were crushing bud to roll a joint verses if it was well bagged and in a drawer, but the scent didn't.

I think that's why my mother in law would
always be the first to say "ohh... someone hit a skunk" with certainty but would seem confused? That's when I would make like I was smelling my pits and apologize for not using deodorant! Haha but she'd still insist... "nooo someone hit a skunk"!lol ahh a little mindfuck goes a long way.

"These are not the droids your searching for"ha

So exactly what the weed should smell like isn't as easy as saying it should smell like a roadkill.

How far from the squished skunk should it smell?:biggrin:

These are the things that keep me up at night!:)lol

According to his interview on "The Potcast" Skunk_VA says 200 yards. I agree roughly, but the distance certainly has something to do with the size of skunk hit, how recent it was, the quality of the impact, if your windows are open, etc.
I would like to add that I think that different skunky varieties of bud fit into slightly different places in the spectrum. The one I have now is closer to the skunk (using the distance to the roadkill analogy) than the oldschool skunkweed I remember as being somewhat more sour and less burnt rubberish and maybe more like skunk cabbage than an actual dead skunk.
One can only guess that curing has something to do with the odor & flavor too, if you're familiar with the story of Russian caravan tea then you might get the idea that skunk isn't skunk if it hasn't been smuggled around in a van full of hippies for at lest 4 weeks after drying. The skunky bud I have currently smells distinctly of BO & cumin starting at around 4-5 weeks until harvest, its not all that skunky until after its dried and cured. Maybe storing any good quality cannabis in a chamber laden with hippies for 4 weeks turns the bud into skunk via some sort of BO transformation.

Golden Tree

Closest True skunk PHENOS I've been blessed to work with...have come from selfing the Chem Dog...

And that Pot Cast was absolutely incredible!

He passed out some truly amazing tips on how to grow a Chem dog properly...

Jeremy Silvas was excellant...they all are!

I was raided in September...

At the time...I was running mainly Chem dog and an S1 chem dog known as Skunk spray...

The cops couldn't get over the small garden...

Not saying this is anyway an RKS

But id start with the Chem dogs as a potential starting point...and start looking at selfing them...or mixing in afghan or paki males...

Good luck

GT

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
20 years ago I was visiting Puerto Rico, and drove all over the entire island..

One day as I was hiking in a fairly rural area, I caught the distinctive odor of skunk weed. The pleasant smell.. I walked around for about an hour looking..
The odor never got disgusting as if I got closer to a dead skunk..
I never did find any plants growing, but I'm certain they were there..

If I had found them I would have only harvested a couple medium sized buds.....you know, good karma and all that stuff...

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I mean, but look at Stardawg bred via Afghan outcross. Look at Rez line bred via Hindu outcross.

Neither have had that true dead RKS surface. Notes and hints, but not the same. It's muddied.

I know Benji made a Chem DD x Sensi Star - IE ChemStar - and I have those beans but never got to them. I did sample some nugs from the line though that others had grown and it was more lemony/garlic than skunky.

Doesn't mean it isn't some where in the line though.

As often as this gets discussed, there is never any conclusion. From the best we know, the '91 is just an old Sensi Super Skunk, itself.

dank.Frank

I'll add one thing and that's nasal fatigue/tolerance changing our preception of cannabis smells over time. I remember smoking mid grade seeded bud in the early 2000s that had a very distinct Road Kill skunk smell. Like mentioned before it's a very distinctive smell and if you ever been anywhere near a dead skunk, it's easily recognizeable. It has been years since I have smelled it in bud but whenever I smoke anywhere near my nonsmoking older family, they all say it smells exactly like a skunk. The cultivars I'm usually smoking are Chem hybrids more then anything else.

Just like with food, when your around it a lot your nose becomes fatigued and builds tolerance to smells. What also happens as well is your palette expands are you notice more subtleties. Could this be happening with cannabis, and what used to have that Road Kill smell has softened due to tolerance and the range of smell and tastest have been expanded, thus changing our sum perception of the smell?

Btw, other smells in cannabis that I used to see around 2000-2005, Cat piss, Vomit, and the dreaded Poop diaper smell have all seemed to thankfully disappeared for whatever reason. Never experienced great or even strong highs from any of these profiles including RKS, so I never formed much an attachment i guess.

redlaser

Veteran
I'm not a fan of beer but drank different types for a while, and have tried Heineken. My impression of it was that it was a lot less refined and almost spoiled or rotten, nothing skunk like, more like a different form of decomp of plant matter.

To myself a skunk's fresh spray smells just like a skunk that is hit on the road. The smell slightly changes over the days, but it is mainly an intensity change. It is unusual to not see a dead skunk in an hour drive around here. Usually it ranges between 2-3 up to fifteen or more. I think it's sad, they are beutiful creatures and most of them are babies that are getting hit. Probably saw ten in 70 miles today.

I picked up some skunk #1 seeds along with some northern lights seeds( not sure on the number) about 1990-1994, grew them out and liked them both alot. The skunk made the strongest impression, was very skunky and I would not call it sweet at all.

I would say it was the same smell as the skunks that I pass nearly every day on the road. I would not, however , try and claim it has the incredible intensity of a fresh spray or fresh roadkill skunk. Another poster summed it up by saying it's just a different degree of intensity.

Made some f2's of the skunk that so far haven't sprouted, weren't stored the best. Still have some more chances though, going to try growth regulators, different temps.

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Most dead skunk smelling thing I've had in the garden in years was the Deathstar cut.

ECSD x Sensi Star. I've not seen that profile surface in other ECSD workings, so I'd suggest taking a peek into the Sensi Star. Although, it's not the same as it used to be.

dank.Frank

Sensi Star was on the list anyway. Thx.