What's new

Should Government Regulate Cannabis Quality?

Should Government Regulate Cannabis Quality?

• Yes, test all cannabis being sold!

Votes: 64 6.7%
  • Yes, treat cannabis like any agricultural product

Votes: 210 21.9%
  • Yes, treat cannabis like tobacco or alcohol

Votes: 210 21.9%
  • Yes, treat cannabis like a pharmaceutical product

Votes: 51 5.3%
  • No, let buyer beware!

Votes: 82 8.6%
  • No, let dispensaries do optional private testing

Votes: 164 17.1%
  • Leave things as they are.

Votes: 143 14.9%
  • Not sure.

Votes: 33 3.4%

• Total voters

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
Common sense is something few seem to have, like having the freedom to grow your own for personal use without any government interference, if it is legal. If growing commercially then there will be government regulations, at least I hope so.
-SamS

Yeah thank god for government regulations of commercial products.

BP and their oil
Jack in the Box and their E-coli
Jonson and Jonson and their deadly cold medicines for kids
Peter Pan peanut butter and their E-coli
WV Coal Mines and their alarming death rate
Wall Street and their derivatives of mass destruction (I could list a dozen examples in this category a lone)

If the measure of common sense is belief in the federal government, yeah I have none.

You and I wish and hope for different things. The US federal government has the power to produce nothing, and effectively regulate nothing. How is that MediCare program coming? Fraud free last time you checked?

Why would anyone want to entrust more power in a government that has proven repeatedly that it can not effectively implement the power it already has?

You may get what you hope for, but there is no way on god green earth that government involvement leads to better or safer marijuana.

I'm a huge stoner, have I missed the multiple pot deaths from laced weed? I really don't think so, but I know my supply is fine without and FDA stamp. Same way I know strawberries and tomatoes from my garden or those of my friends is better than what is found in the store.

If a farmer's market sells better food, yet UNINSPECTED by the government; why would you want your crop looked at by a pig?

How about we let the pigs and the government take a crack at tobacco. Once cigs and snuff aren't harmful maybe they could give out some MJ safty advise or regulations. But until then the US government has show ZERO ability to understand MJ, it is the last entity on earth that should have ANY regulator authority.

I want everyone to grow, breed, and smoke. I have no room for looters and moochers (looking right at you Mr. Government).

:joint:

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
This is an interesting analogy. I assume you are comparing the nature of man and the nature of a snake. While man is obviously capable of much greater things, we are also mean and nasty at the core (i.e. inherently sinful). The founding fathers knew this, and thus created a limited government to protect the people from themselves. The federal powers have slowly increased as the rights of individual citizens have decreased with law after law after law...

WFF

I thought he was saying the government is a snake, let them into your garden at your own peril. For when you are bitten don't cry for help we knew it was a fucking snake the whole time.

A

Amos Moses

I have no problem with ensuring that public consumables and our environment are safe. Educating the public and necessary controls and monitoring can accomplish this.

My problem is that once gov't (meaning individuals with uncontested authority) gets involved, there is a tendency for individuals to want more control and more money.

It's will grow out of control as monied interests see an opportunity to pay off and control those with power as they try to dominate a segment of the economy.

The coverups and fraud become a natural part of everyday business, just as it is today in all levels of government.

Once the monied interests take control and exert their influence, we call it politics.

Who the hell said we needed politicians to run our country? We need qualified and able bodied individuals to perform their jobs as they are instructed. Not full time politicans with their hands out, in full campaign mode that are sucking the life blood out of every working person in this country.

Amos :wave:

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I can't argue that government regulations are a mixed bag of failures and success, but for me it is easy. I want to get as far away from the 800,000 Cannabis arrests as we can. To me that means giving big biz a piece of the pie and big government the ability to tax and regulate, similar to tobacco or alcohol.
I think a lot of the folks here have not lived through 45 years of Cannabis prohibition, 60 if you count before I smoked. I can't believe most people would like to have an alcohol industry that was unregulated?
I have never been a supporter of more government, never, but in this case the issues are to important, come on think about it, Cannabis legal what is the price that is to high?
I have zero fear of big biz trying to dominate the trade, of course it will. I have zero fear of big government taxing and regulating Cannabis to death. What I do fear is that the popularity of Cannabis legalization will ebb or Obama might well lose in 1012 and a lot of the gains in medical Cannabis will vanish under a Republican federal administration, in the blink of an eye. In 1976 everyone thought the Feds were going to decriminalize, it was promised by Carter, but never delivered. Instead we descended into the war on drugs and just say no for another 35 years....
Enough is enough...
-SamS

A

Amos Moses

I can't argue that government regulations are a mixed bag of failures and success, but for me it is easy. I want to get as far away from the 800,000 Cannabis arrests as we can. To me that means giving big biz a piece of the pie and big government the ability to tax and regulate, similar to tobacco or alcohol.
I think a lot of the folks here have not lived through 45 years of Cannabis prohibition, 60 if you count before I smoked. I can't believe most people would like to have an alcohol industry that was unregulated?
I have never been a supporter of more government, never, but in this case the issues are to important, come on think about it, Cannabis legal what is the price that is to high?
I have zero fear of big biz trying to dominate the trade, of course it will. I have zero fear of big government taxing and regulating Cannabis to death. What I do fear is that the popularity of Cannabis legalization will ebb or Obama might well lose in 1012 and a lot of the gains in medical Cannabis will vanish under a Republican federal administration, in the blink of an eye. In 1976 everyone thought the Feds were going to decriminalize, it was promised by Carter, but never delivered. Instead we descended into the war on drugs and just say no for another 35 years....
Enough is enough...
-SamS

Your words betray the understanding you are attempting to portray. The struggle to remove the chains of hypocrisy from those who desire the freedom to possess cannabis is not a political issue.

Being a Republican or a Democrat has nothing to do with the legalization of the use of cannabis. Democrats controlled congress for 40 years, exclusively, during which time most of these laws have been enacted.

It is the Congress, not the president, that creates the laws. It is Republicans, not Democrats, that subscibe to state's rights over federal government control.

George Bush was an asshole, but he did not write the federal laws his administation was sworn to uphold.

The last four years have been congressionly dominated by the Democrats. The last couple years have seen a super majority of congressional Democrats and a president who could talk his way to the moon!

What happened? NOTHING!

It is the liberal media that sways public opinion. It is public opion that influences our lawmakers. If anything, it is the DEMOCRATS who are responsible for the current legal status of cannabis.

Very few people realize how much money politicians receive from special interest groups to create the fucked up laws we have today.

When it comes to "MONEY" and "POWER" there is no difference between Republicans and Democrats. They are all the same greedy, power hungry assholes they have always been.

How many politicians, once they are out of power, become officials or boardroom members of large companies? How many become "instantly" wealthy? These are the payoffs received for their "support" of the special interests during their time in congress.

Whoever the hell doesn't know this by now is only fooling themselves!

Love,

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Your words betray the understanding you are attempting to portray. The struggle to remove the chains of hypocrisy from those who desire the freedom to possess cannabis is not a political issue.

Being a Republican or a Democrat has nothing to do with the legalization of the use of cannabis. Democrats controlled congress for 40 years, exclusively, during which time most of these laws have been enacted.

If anything, it is the DEMOCRATS who are responsible for the current legal status of cannabis.

Love,

Not sure exactly what you mean, I know that most politicians are corrupt, most big biz greedy bastards, so what else is new?
I don't care about dem's or repub's, I care about legalization.

-SamS

H

HippyJohnny

Sam has hit the nail on the head.

800,000 arrests! Those are our neighbors, friends and fellow citizens being assaulted first physically, emotionally, financially and last but not least spiritually.

Just because in Cali you guys think its like where you are everywhere... its not. Not even close.

Stop the arrests... if it takes taxes, regulations and inspections so what?

Amos how do you put corporate organizations so far ahead of the govt?
At least with the govt. we have some shot at representation and accountability, with a company we have no recourse other than to stop giving them money. How is that real accountability?

Who will reel in the large multi-national business interest when the rest of everything is privatized?

Lastly, notice how it seems nothing is being promoted or being discussed about HEMP.
Getting high is great, but what about Mr.Herrer's message about Hemp? Silence on that front...

A

Amos Moses

Not sure exactly what you mean, I know that most politicians are corrupt, most big biz greedy bastards, so what else is new?
I don't care about dem's or repub's, I care about legalization.

-SamS

Clear your mind and relax. Take a nice big toke. Now think about how our society works.

News media: TV, Radio, Websites, Print

-Purpose is not really to inform the public - that's secondary
-It's a business to make money, to make a profit
-Revenue comes primarily from advertising
-Ads are from businesses
-Businesses have contracts
-Contracts contain clauses
-Clauses contain actions and restrictions
-Result of news stories and editorials is to influence public

Public: You and me and everyone else
-Purpose is not easily understood
-Derives information and understanding from media
-Easily led to believe anything from authoritarian media
-Exposed to information over and over again will believe it
-When directed by media, will influence lawmakers

Congress: Those selected for us to vote into office
-Purpose is to raise more money to get re-elected
-Always need more money
-Must constantly condemn opponents to divide and conquer
-Must always have fund raisers
-Must always find new ways to spend tax money
-Must always find new creative taxes
-Must find ways to build larger constituency
-Must have excuse for all failures (bame George Bush)
-Must make backroom deals with special interests
-Must pass legislation promised to special interests

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
George Bush was an asshole, but he did not write the federal laws his administation was sworn to uphold.

Ummm... Patriot Act mean anything to you??? Both parties share EQUAL blame in the corruptness of the system. Everyone is a whore to somebody...

WFF

H

HippyJohnny

So the solution is to throw out the government in total?

Seems to me that you are being "played".

Private good... Govt bad.

There is nothing wrong with the framework of our government, its the fact that the private sector has decided to use "OUR" government as a protection and enforcement arm to maximize business opportunities and profits. We have allowed the current state of affairs by not paying close enough attention.

Mission accomplished: The corporation has successfully twisted law into giving them super citizen rights with no culpability with complete access to the legislative arm, that trumps my true individual rights and I get form letters from my "so called" representatives. I go to jail if I break the law. Game over.

I do not know how to untie the knots in place, but I do not buy the answer is to turn over everything to the private sector and think that by changing a few personnel (govt officials) we will see a positive change.

Government is a necessary evil and must be watched closely. Corporations are not necessary for the world to function. Oh and by the way, profits are good.

And your point about the media and information dissemination is correct the media corporations have grown so large that all we get is the same information re-hashed and regurgitated.

The loss of a true media watchdog is in my opinion one of the root issues and has nothing to do with conservative or liberal ideology. Nobody is telling us what needs to be known, without filtering and spin.

We need our government back...

:tiphat:

Clear your mind and relax. Take a nice big toke. Now think about how our society works.

News media: TV, Radio, Websites, Print

-Purpose is not really to inform the public - that's secondary
-It's a business to make money, to make a profit
-Revenue comes primarily from advertising
-Ads are from businesses
-Businesses have contracts
-Contracts contain clauses
-Clauses contain actions and restrictions
-Result of news stories and editorials is to influence public

Public: You and me and everyone else
-Purpose is not easily understood
-Derives information and understanding from media
-Easily led to believe anything from authoritarian media
-Exposed to information over and over again will believe it
-When directed by media, will influence lawmakers

Congress: Those selected for us to vote into office
-Purpose is to raise more money to get re-elected
-Always need more money
-Must constantly condemn opponents to divide and conquer
-Must always have fund raisers
-Must always find new ways to spend tax money
-Must always find new creative taxes
-Must find ways to build larger constituency
-Must have excuse for all failures (bame George Bush)
-Must make backroom deals with special interests
-Must pass legislation promised to special interests

well put Amos; you nailed it all down
....on the first try.....

there isn't anyone that wants unlimited government interference in our activities

however, where it is necessary to protect the public welfare,
then, by all means

but not anymore than is absolutely necessary

most of us don't want homes burning down in our neighborhoods

we don't want weed exposed to poisons

and there should be restrictions as to where mmj dispensaries are located

bentom187

Veteran
FDA is a joke,lots of laws, no way of doing inspections and enforcing them. leave the MJ alone. if they do decide to regulate it im gonna be stocking up on alot of verieties soon, so ill still be smokin the goods till im a corpes.

Kushy

I agree with most you. Less government. I have also seen that most dispensaries I have ever tried selling to, thinks that they have the best stuff around. Some dispensaries do not know any thing about growing or testing. Maybe I haven't been to right dispensaries but I do know any dispensary owners weed is better there any one else's weed. Leave it to the growers to decide price and quality.

I want a quality control guy on hand, who is an expert on bugs, fungis,
and anything else that it might not be in my best interest to vape.

I also don't want my weed sprayed with insecticides

Can we all agree to that

David762

But .. but .. but I might want to "enhance" a bit of my homegrown with a bit of homemade laudanum, for those rare occasions when MMJ doesn't quite do the job. (That was "Thai Stick" back in the day for all you youngsters.) It's not like BigPharma or some street dealer will be getting any of my money.

David762

Can we all agree to that
You bet!

Organic, in soil, with only natural insect predators is what I would prefer, always.

David762

I agree with most you. Less government. I have also seen that most dispensaries I have ever tried selling to, thinks that they have the best stuff around. Some dispensaries do not know any thing about growing or testing. Maybe I haven't been to right dispensaries but I do know any dispensary owners weed is better there any one else's weed. Leave it to the growers to decide price and quality.
I can see where there might be some differentiation in the MJ/MMJ market between "organic" and "commercial" grades, as well as independent testing labs for "purity" and "potency" as another MJ/MMJ growth industry.

RetroGrow

Veteran
Haven't looked at this thread in a few days, and am amazed at how many people here on a weed site want the government to get involved in their business.
Truly astounding.
What are you people smoking?

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran

Can we all agree to that

I can agree that GOVERNMENT inspection does NOT ensure purity. Just look at the US meat and food supply.

I can agree that you don't want bad goods sold to you.

How much does the job of expert on bugs and fungi pay? Who is qualified to or politically connected enough to make the hiring choice?

I do have some shockingly bad news for you. If you don't want pesticides on your food then you best not eat most American grown foods. We love pesticides in this country. Is tobacco grown with pesticides? You damn bet you!

So I respect that you want great weed, but I promise you that the US Government is not the rating authority or regulator that can give it to you. How about this let the market decide and someone will develop "The Good House Keeping Seal of Approval" or a "Consumer's Reports" system. If the area of quality control is ceded to the government we will have the mediocrity that government has provided time in memorial. Can we agree on that?

I can agree that GOVERNMENT inspection does NOT ensure purity. Just look at the US meat and food supply.

I can agree that you don't want bad goods sold to you.

How much does the job of expert on bugs and fungi pay? Who is qualified to or politically connected enough to make the hiring choice?

I do have some shockingly bad news for you. If you don't want pesticides on your food then you best not eat most American grown foods. We love pesticides in this country. Is tobacco grown with pesticides? You damn bet you!

So I respect that you want great weed, but I promise you that the US Government is not the rating authority or regulator that can give it to you. How about this let the market decide and someone will develop "The Good House Keeping Seal of Approval" or a "Consumer's Reports" system. If the area of quality control is ceded to the government we will have the mediocrity that government has provided time in memorial. Can we agree on that?

someone in the county area, who's knowledgeable in disease and pests common to the indoor grow marijuana plant, a good job with good benefits, as a member of the grower's collective, you are part owner of the not-for-profit corporation

Latest posts

Latest posts