What's new

Should Government Regulate Cannabis Quality?

Should Government Regulate Cannabis Quality?

• Yes, test all cannabis being sold!

Votes: 64 6.7%
  • Yes, treat cannabis like any agricultural product

Votes: 210 21.9%
  • Yes, treat cannabis like tobacco or alcohol

Votes: 210 21.9%
  • Yes, treat cannabis like a pharmaceutical product

Votes: 51 5.3%
  • No, let buyer beware!

Votes: 82 8.6%
  • No, let dispensaries do optional private testing

Votes: 164 17.1%
  • Leave things as they are.

Votes: 143 14.9%
  • Not sure.

Votes: 33 3.4%

• Total voters

Skip

Veteran
Now that medical cannabis has been accepted by 14 states and the D of C, and legalization is on the ballot in several states, can the issue of regulating cannabis quality be far away?

If cannabis is to be accepted as medicine as well as a recreational drug, is the US gov't (or any gov't) responsible for the quality of product, just as the USDA would oversee, test and regulate the quality of other agricultural products?

If we compare it to tobacco or alcohol, we can see that there are differences in quality among those products, differences in strength of alcohol and nicotine, and probably a lot of difference in how the tobacco plants and grapes are grown (ie: using pesticides, etc.).

So how much should the gov't get involved in regulating the quality of cannabis? Certainly there is some responsibility when it comes to medical cannabis. You could compare it to the gov't oversight of pharmaceutical companies. There are strict testing procedures in place before any drug can be approved by the FDA. So should cannabis quality be regulated like a pharmaceutical?

And what standards would be required to determine whether cannabis is safe and O.K. for sale to patients or recreational users?

Up till now the focus has been on screening cannabis for the usual agricultural chemicals (pesticides, herbicides, fungicides). Probably the most common test being done now is for potency. Since high potency marijuana is in high demand, testing potency ensures the effectiveness of the medicine.

Most dispensaries will do a cursory visual check for things like mold, hermies and other problems, they don't usually send in samples to a lab to check for other potentially dangerous problems that only a lab can detect.

Given the vast number of growers, the varieties of genetics they use, the different grow techniques and locations (indoors/outdoors/greenhouses), is it even possible to contemplate testing all cannabis being sold legally?

Or will this issue be the one that puts 90% of growers out of the legal market? If their samples can't pass some gov't guidelines, won't that have an enormous impact upon the small grower?

Let's hear your thoughts on this! :)

RetroGrow

Veteran
Keep the government out of our business, please.
Too much government in all things.
They were the ones who created the problem to begin with.
They have demonstrated no expertise in the matter, actually quite the opposite. Decades of lies and disinformation. "F" the government.

Botanist

I don't know why its so hard for some people to see that the only thing that can come from government regulation of production or trade is destruction of both.

I would say that we as cannabis connoisseurs should see more clearly then others what government regulation brings about. When the market is forced to except regulation what it is being forced to do is give up a small part of its natural habitat. The market is being told to disregard just one small part of reality thus taking away just one more tool of production. Whether it is the complete destruction of an industry such as industrial hemp through illegalization of the plant, the small infringement upon a market such as forcing cars to have seat belts, or the unilateral destruction of all industries by raising the tax rate said percent. these actions while different are a step in the same direction. The direction of total destruction of the market. It is not through government regulation or legislation that a house, factory, or loaf of bread come into existence. Only production can bring to you the bread you will need to survive on. And only mans mind can discover the ways to produce such bread, and constantly discover bettor and even bettor ways to do so, thus making life on earth easier with every passing discovery.

Artificial road blocks such as regulation never have and never will make life on earth bettor.

The market will regulate cannabis in all its forms. Should some one produce cannabis that is not to the markets liking the market will destroy said production.

Great, Cannabis will end up like tobacco with 4,004 extra chemicals in it.

No, to government regulation of cannabis quality in any way shape or form.

TheGreenBastard

Assistant Weekend Trailer Park Superviser
Veteran
I believe it should be treated as an agricultural product, their should be regulations if you want it to be recognized by the FDA, just like produce at your local supermarket. Though, it would not be needed for recreational/general use (I'm looking far into the future on this one). The produce equivalent to this would be locally grown organic foods at a farmers market. The FDA approval would only be for peace of mind and medical applications. This is all under the assumption that it would be federally legal for all adults.

You would still have a choice as to weather or not you would go with the FDA approved strains/brands or with locally grown/bred strains (or otherwise). I don't think the FDA should have any control over the production, only the final decision to grant it their approval. Though, the lack of approval should not stop/alter the production or sale of the product under any circumstance.

H

humboldtlocal

IMHO. Government no. Local regional organizations with standards set by and inspections done by growers yes. Lab testing is a must as well. This is of course if you only hope to be retailing your product legally. I feel this is also how MMJ that is retailed in collectives should be handled. The FDA Organic certification programs are to lean with way to little oversight and testing.

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't believe the federal government can really establish standards and testing procedures for something that is illegal under federal law. Not bothered to research this, but perhaps its worthy of discussion.

But, lets say cannabis is reclassified on the DEA schedule and is legalized federally. In that scenario, I believe the FDA would end up regulating cannabis.

They already control the standards and labeling for most alcohol, and as of last year's actions, will control major parts of the same for tobacco. Tobacco fought this for years, but cannabis will likely not have the pre-existing clout to resist FDA regulation assuming things go big.

There is a separate agency that handles taxes and enforces other standards for alcohol and tobacco, and I imagine they would either be involved in a large scale cannabis industry, or a separate but similar agency would be created to handle cannabis exclusively.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_and_Tobacco_Tax_and_Trade_Bureau

I don't want it to be like this, but as I see it, this is the most likely scenario in the event of nationwide legalization.

Hopefully small producers will not be subject to this kind of regulation, but I do believe some kind of standards and oversight will be required in a large scale commercial marketplace. Not sure how to best accomplish that while respecting the rights of growers and the plant itself though.

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
I voted regulated like produce. No one from the government has ever asked to see what pesticides I use in my personal garden, it's not their job. But if Big Ag starts selling weed (and you know they will) I want at least basic checks by the FDA but it's not like you really know what was used on the potatoes you buy and they are regulated.

gdtrfb

have you seen my lighter?
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i'd be in favor of something similar to kosher standards. it isn't a government entity, but there are clearly laid out requirements to get ye olde circle K on your item.

a regulatory or certifying agency...i can see a need for/see benefit from. i don't know that an across the board, you get regulated or you don't sell approach is worthwhile, tho.

Botanist

I voted regulated like produce. No one from the government has ever asked to see what pesticides I use in my personal garden, it's not their job. But if Big Ag starts selling weed (and you know they will) I want at least basic checks by the FDA but it's not like you really know what was used on the potatoes you buy and they are regulated.

And by excepting said regulation whether you think it is good or not you have surrendered the moral high ground. It may start with something small like checking to make sher you didn't lace your weed with rat poison but when it grows to the point where your force by regulation to only use so much water, plant on so much ground, sale to said companies that have been approved (do to political connections no doubt), or only grow said strain of weed. You will have no ground to stand on because when you accepted even the smallest infringement of your right to produce and trade in the name of the public good, you caved in, lost all your rights in that one moment when you conceded the battle and excepted that the public good is of more importance, even to you, then your own individual right to exist and produce for your own benefit.

The public good of course is the good of whoever has control of the governments bureaucracy at the time. The public will not be you as it has never been you. the public will be those voting blocks that have separated them selfs from everyone else. the public will be the aristocrats of the bureau and the unions they need to keep happy. and the Good will be what ever the hell they say it is.

So by all means, surrender to them now. I for one do not recognize government or anyone else's right to tell me how to grow my pot or spend my money. If the market does not like to buy from be because i use pesticides or don't use them, then let the market destroy me by simply refusing to by my product thus braking me economically or forcing me to change my means of production.

gdtrfb

have you seen my lighter?
ICMag Donor
Veteran
essentially (and i know this is probably going to step on toes of those doing things w/in the law, but....) we're in the business of breaking laws.

i don't see anything having any actual beneficial effect that isn't opt-in, and at least vaguely consumer driven. throw up a barrier to doing things how we want them done, we'll by and large disregard it. you don't have to look any further than....well...growing pot when it's just flat out ilfreakinglegal to do in the first place. people want it, so they get it.

if you can have something that is a mark of quality, that the consumer can see, recognize isn't going to be crap, and develops into what the consumer wants...that i see as a good conclusion. i can either go along w/ it, or not - that's still my choice.

ItsAllOver

Devil's Advocate
No.

No.

Cannabis dispensaries should be (of course) allowed to do optional private testing, and that's the extent of it. Government can step in once a dispensary has allegedly committed some wrong. (due process)

Despite the fact that there is NO gov't regulation at all of almost all marijuana sold today, quality control still almost never leads people to the hospital or significant respiratory issues. Unless laced, which is both not common, and essentially removed as a problem if the purchasing is being done out in the open in a legal setting.

'Quality-control' type regulation, the US FDA most definitely included, is often a solution seeking a problem.
In other words, we are taking the suspect to court before they have the chance to commit a crime, and this comes with the unintended consequence that healthy and helpful products lag into (read: people that could otherwise be saved, can die awaiting FDA approval of a drug) or never reach general consumption due to onerous regulations and approval processes.
Regulations have impacts on "self-production" of the drugs, as well. Beer, liquor, poppy, all have varying levels of freedom (read: are not free) to self-produce but are all commercially available
In regards to the 'snake-oil salesman':tiphat:: The FDA is a relic of a day when mass communication didn't allow us to destroy the name of a fraud with a few simple keystrokes, and it takes resources away from the court system which could otherwise be used to redress grievances.

BTW I think the "let the buyer beware" people and the "optional dispensary testing" people are one in the same. Surely anyone that promotes the buyer bewaring [me included] won't be opposed to optional testing which doesn't have to be legislated, either...

Peace

J

JackTheGrower

Like Germany's beer purity law.

Yep..

Here we are inhaling burning plant material. This method of ingestion is the most dangerous way to be exposed to carcinogens.

I am not voting with business in mind I am voting for my safety.

Again, here, I say that any person making money on cannabis needs to be held accountable and the only way to find problems is to test produce.

I voted test all sold.

It has nothing to do with Government in you life. It has everything to do with Consumer safety.

Besides German Beer is wonderful and so should California Cannabis be.

Also all you business folks.. You want top quality and brand recognition so the testing and the Seal you can place on your product helps generate Customer loyalty.

Everyone's business models will have to change. Best we get testing in there so we can keep the good growers and get rid of the bad.

ItsAllOver

Devil's Advocate
But if Big Ag starts selling weed (and you know they will) I want at least basic checks by the FDA but it's not like...
contradiction goes here.

:dance013:
FDA lets big ag do whatever the fuck they want. But besides that, big ag will not find a great market in cannabis, if you want my opinion... Even if they do, just don't buy it! That's my motto, if you don't trust it or it would make you feel stupid in any way (price&quality=value, quality alone, reputation of seller like BP today) don't buy it. This will weed out the crap, as long as government doesn't get involved and 'help out a failing enterprise'

Take care of yourself

Botanist

Yep..

Here we are inhaling burning plant material. This method of ingestion is the most dangerous way to be exposed to carcinogens.

Again, here, I say that any person making money on cannabis needs to be held accountable and the only way to find problems is to test produce.

I voted test all sold.

It has nothing to do with Government in you life. It has everything to do with Consumer safety.

Also all you business folks.. You want top quality and brand recognition so the testing and the Seal you can place on your product helps generate Customer loyalty.

Everyone's business models will have to change. Best we get testing in there so we can keep the good growers and get rid of the bad.

Why do you assume the market cannot hold people accountable? Consumer safety is nothing but an excuse to give power to those who do nothing but consume the products days and dreams of your life. So thing that California cannabis could not be wonderful without the regulation of a bureaucracy is a mockery of reason. Why could a private company not exist with its own seal of approval? Why do you assume customer loyalty will be achieved through government approval but not market approval. The seal you speak of is not a magic stamp that creates a market share, the product is. The seal you speak of would not be granted to you through product safety, but through boot licking and correct campaign donations. It wouldn't take long for this seal of approval to work out like this oil spill debacle and the wonderful bureaucracy regulating safety in that aspect of the market.

I just don't see how government testing weed will get rid of the bad growers. I can see how it would get rid of the growers with little political clout and those growers who didn't send that government worker to Hawaii for the weekend.

When the coin of the realm is product such as in the market place it is the best product that wins. When the coin of the realm is who you know and who funds your office, it is friendship, political pull, and backhanded deals that win.

Tony Aroma

Let's Go - Two Smokes!
Veteran
I definitely DO NOT want it treated like tobacco. That industry is totally unregulated. We have no idea what goes into a cigarette or cigar. The tobacco companies can put virtually any crap they want in, mainly because they are not required to list the ingredients on the label. I never understood why tobacco was exempt from the Pure Food and Drug Act.

But I definitely do want some regulation. I like to know what's in anything I buy that I will consume. So I say yes, inspect the hell out of it. Make sure people are not consuming pesticides or fungus or whatever. That's what we do with legitimate consumables, isn't it?

Botanist

But I definitely do want some regulation. I like to know what's in anything I buy that I will consume. So I say yes, inspect the hell out of it. Make sure people are not consuming pesticides or fungus or whatever. That's what we do with legitimate consumables, isn't it?

That may be in theory what we do, but what has it achieved? You are asking people who may not even want to smoke pot pay for the regulation of an industry they have nothing to do with. The regulation of food has not achieved bettor products, safer products, cheaper products. It has achieved high priced and a public that has given up the responsibility of thought because of an undeserved sense of peace of mind. The responsibility because it is the individual who owns his live and is their for responsible for its wellbeing. an undeserved sense of peace of mind because they assume, as you do that the government worker some how has your best interests in mind and not his own.

Its not like we see people consuming food thats bad for them today is it??? lol

OjoRojo420

Feeling good is good enough.
Veteran
Yep..

I voted test all sold.

Very, very well said!

Don't want Raid in my bud... He'll NO

There is a HUGE market for 100% State Certified Organic Cannabis.

Just as it is with Coffee and so much produce; particularly in the Pacific Northwest.

FYI:

The "German Beer Purity Law" or the "Bavarian Purity Law" in English, is a regulation concerning the production of beer in Germany. In the original text, the only ingredients that could be used in the production of beer were water, barley, and hops.

No additives, fillers, glass, sand, sugar, etc.

Latest posts

Latest posts