What's new

SFV OG Kush

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
picture.php

Really on the fence about keeping her around. She's too finicky for my patience. I know she can be dialed in but I haven't gotten it yet and like I said, lacking patience. :2cents:

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm curious what she's doing that you dont care for?
You say finicky... But how?

If ya like how she turns out get a seed set from her & see if they as problematic for ya.

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
I'm curious what she's doing that you dont care for?
You say finicky... But how?

If ya like how she turns out get a seed set from her & see if they as problematic for ya.

• I hate the way that viney, floppy, noodle stem OGs grow.
  • She's finicky, high maintenance, not forgiving.
  • She isn't forgiving of colder temperatures which I need with my setup during winter months
  • Doesn't use nearly as much water as other strains. Not a big concern just something to be aware of when watering.
  • Yield is minuscule compared to others
  • You have to dial her in just so to get her to perform and I can't/haven't done that yet.
  • Don't know if I'm sold on how she smells and smokes yet either. I'll need to try her again now that she's been jar curing for a little.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure she can be excellent when dialed in. I'm sure there is a reason she is spoken so highly of. I have made seeds with her using my Dank Zappa male. Testers are going out so we'll see what that turns up but I imagine most, if not all, my complaints with her will be remedied with the introduction of the Dank Zappa side of things. I have one little SFV in a gallon pot right now so she's still around. If nothing else I'd like to clone another one or two so I can veg them out really big and just do whole plant pollinations using my Dank Zappa and Star Dawg IX males for a whole pile of seeds. :yes:

U

useless.gardens

most of that ^ true. & been a time or two that i was like gtf outta here with this cut. PIA all the way. you look in my tents its the only plant that never ever perfect looking. close. but never perfect. my feeling on flowering plants, if they aint perfect, sexy, growing, on the run, dont bother you wasting leccy.

if you're not using 40 to 60 ppm of epsom on each feed, sfv gonna be a pain. cal rich medium with mag supplement. only way. wet/dry cycle like you note. critical. its about 1 gram dry epsom per gallon of h20. i learned that from dtog. & its changed the way i grow ogz.

the dude that kills it a few pages back is rolling rockwool & drip. pumping them all day for weeks.

soil/coco imo its a different animal. last round, cause i saw that dude's posts a few pages back, i grew out 3 cuts in 1 gal. yep. like i thought. yield pathetic. and flop city. was gonna comment on that experience but i dont want to hate on a cut that to me is a great score.

however, you grow the stem thick, the plant large as possible , and screen it up... wow! i just made a new 4x2 screen. what that cut needs.

my secret (new) sauce for sfv is 2 gal water, one very level tablespn epsom, 1 cup fish emulsion. the medium got all type of cal too from gypsum to crab shell meal to fish bone meal.

i find the flavor to be delish ! the potency off the hook. & the first time you smoke sfv you never gonna forget it.

in my space, she clones easy too. 8 to 10. every time.

picking up chem4 so now i got some basis of comparison.

Last edited:

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
most of that ^ true. & been a time or two that i was like gtf outta here with this cut. PIA all the way. you look in my tents its the only plant that never ever perfect looking. close. but never perfect. my feeling on flowering plants, if they aint perfect, sexy, growing, on the run, dont bother you wasting leccy.

if you're not using 40 to 60 ppm of epsom on each feed, sfv gonna be a pain. cal rich medium with mag supplement. only way. wet/dry cycle like you note. critical. its about 1 gram dry epsom per gallon of h20. i learned that from dtog. & its changed the way i grow ogz.

the dude that kills it a few pages back is rolling rockwool & drip. pumping them all day for weeks.

soil/coco imo its a different animal. last round, cause i saw that dude's posts a few pages back, i grew out 3 cuts in 1 gal. yep. like i thought. yield pathetic. and flop city. was gonna comment on that experience but i dont want to hate on a cut that to me is a great score.

however, you grow the stem thick, the plant large as possible , and screen it up... wow! i just made a new 4x2 screen. what that cut needs.

my secret (new) sauce for sfv is 2 gal water, one very level tablespn epsom, 1 cup fish emulsion. the medium got all type of cal too from gypsum to crab shell meal to fish bone meal.

i find the flavor to be delish ! the potency off the hook. & the first time you smoke sfv you never gonna forget it.

Thanks for all that info.

You did remind me though, I hate how long she takes to root. 3 weeks for me! Other strains in comparison are usually 10-14 days.

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran

Don't go comparing Sfv to chem4 , they are completely different and even if Sfv is dialed the 4 will out do her... shit chem 4 will out grow almost anything....3lb a light strain...

my problem with her (organic soil) she was super finicky about watering - give her too much and she hated it. Also she is a frekin nute hog! took so much cal/mag but I got a great yield from her. Overall a little more of a challenge to grow OG's - say compared to a shorter easy going plant. I agree she is not forgiving at all. I think the smell is off the charts tho - and totally worth every pain.

Wendull C.

Veteran
Silica will help strengthen the stems. They will always need double trellis too.

Who day , sfv doesn't shine outside. I can't even grow it where I'm at because of low humidity.

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Silica will help strengthen the stems. They will always need double trellis too.

Who day , sfv doesn't shine outside. I can't even grow it where I'm at because of low humidity.

I haven't been able to have a nominal run with her as one was a late season greenhouse run and the other was a cold winter indoor run. I'll run her one more time and if that doesn't work out she gets the boot. In any case the whole plants will be seeded up anyhow. :yes:

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you don't want her send her to me,,il keep it,,,been dying to try that spindly floppy shit

• I hate the way that viney, floppy, noodle stem OGs grow.
  • She's finicky, high maintenance, not forgiving.
  • She isn't forgiving of colder temperatures which I need with my setup during winter months
  • Doesn't use nearly as much water as other strains. Not a big concern just something to be aware of when watering.
  • Yield is minuscule compared to others
  • You have to dial her in just so to get her to perform and I can't/haven't done that yet.
  • Don't know if I'm sold on how she smells and smokes yet either. I'll need to try her again now that she's been jar curing for a little.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure she can be excellent when dialed in. I'm sure there is a reason she is spoken so highly of. I have made seeds with her using my Dank Zappa male. Testers are going out so we'll see what that turns up but I imagine most, if not all, my complaints with her will be remedied with the introduction of the Dank Zappa side of things. I have one little SFV in a gallon pot right now so she's still around. If nothing else I'd like to clone another one or two so I can veg them out really big and just do whole plant pollinations using my Dank Zappa and Star Dawg IX males for a whole pile of seeds. :yes:

on the smell and taste - as mine cured more it started tasting really good - right after dry it didn't really have a good taste so keep curing it and it'l get better! :dance013:

I ran the sfv og kush (different from sfv og)
but she is all lemons and gas
a little pinesol

however she fills the room with an ambient skunk smell which is really interesting - I brought some up to tahoe and when I opened the jar in the car - lit the car up with skunk.

been taking bong rips mostly but when smoked out of a blunt (I use organic hemp wraps with no flavor added) you can really taste the lemons and gas - I am very fond of that.
I never have experienced a lemon smell or taste before - I had an orange kush like 8 years ago that really smelt and taste like oranges but never had lemons before. Holy grail og was the first OG I tried and was all gas - so the lemon and gas smells are new to me and I really have grown fond to them - it's that fuel smell that is almost gross lol

take care!

I ran her in soil and agree she needs tons of cal/mag and trellis support. didn't do a good job filled up the scrog but i feel if I did I would have yielded over a ilb (450w of led is all I use)

take care!

Wendull C.

Veteran
For years my favorite way to test kush was in a backwood. I think it's because it would burn uncured while you had to wait a few for a joint to burn.

No more though, started getting addicted to the tobacco.

thought I'd share a few pics of some of my dried and cured sfv. Stuffs crazy when you break it up it literally smells like you are peeling a lemon.

FullSizeR.jpg
IMG_6158.jpg

I also have a few cool pics from when it was growing:

IMG_4975.jpg
IMG_5217.jpg