What's new

SFV OG Kush

Wendull C.

Veteran
Ain't it funny? You got a guy with firsthand knowledge, does his best to tell the tale and fuckin people still argue.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Chem '91 ie SkunkVa, is oddly enough certainly part of the OG equation. So is this Ghani from Clarke, somehow. I love the Galaxy because if you know who entered something and know it is a legitimate entry, you can begin to trace the old stories to see if it all meshes and lines up.

I've never been 100% that the Bubba group tied to the Ghani, is in fact what we all recognize as Bubba Kush though. Until Nspecta enters Bubba in the Galaxy then it's really hard to know for certain it is the correct cut that was entered. That particular Bubba group has about 10 differently named cuts in it, which makes it hard to determine which of that group is the correctly named entry. There are other Bubba groups, which further complicates things.

picture.php

dank.Frank

JetLife175

Veteran
Has Josh entered his cut into the galaxy??? If be willing to submit mine if he hasn't yet. Id like.to see where it fits in. I need to get more into using phylos.... Seems like a.really useful tool.

Oliver Pantsoff

Veteran
I dont think the chem91 was in Miami around that time(92-93). JB and I use to sit around and talk about the lineage of the 91, and I've never heard him mention FL or it being passed around that much back in the day.

OP

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Galaxy doesn't lie, Oliver. Some how, it's part of the OG make up. Galaxy also tells us that Chem '91 isn't responsible for ECSD. Chem D and Chem 4 though, are directly related. (to both ECSD and Chem '91, to clarify) Scratch your head on that one!

Yes, JetLife - that OG303 cluster, as it is called in the map, is where Josh D's cut is, entered by him. It's also where TK landed when Nspecta entered it. So, we know, that cluster, regardless of how many cuts are in it...and it is a BUNCH of random named stuff and some other obvious stuff, is still the legit mapping location.

dank.Frank

Mengsk

A lot of what's of the market is blue. What I am looking are the the smaller green (Oaxacan or Thai) and red (C99) dots at the other corners. Colors are referring to the areas or quadrants on the galaxy browser. That graph does not show thc % or plant size or yield, it only shows the genetic makeup. That can use useful. OG Kush x Durban Poison or vice versa is Green Crack or GG #4.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Green Crack came from Cecil out of ATL many years ago. It's a Afghan x Skunk#1 cross, if I remember correctly. GG#4 is a mix mash of many things, but is certainly no mystery. Dubb x Sis x Choc Diesel. Now, Sour Dubb, however, came from BOG and well, he's not the best at recalling what he does or doesn't do.

I think probably my favorite part of the galaxy, is PROOF that Sour Bubble has Bubba in it. LOL. Like we always said for YEARS. We all knew BOG mixed up that tray of clones and that the plants in the post looked different. It made me laugh when I saw that connection.:joint:

dank.Frank

JetLife175

Veteran
Ain't it funny? You got a guy with firsthand knowledge, does his best to tell the tale and fuckin people still argue.

Definitely not here to make friends. Lol. I learned long ago the best thing to do is stand back and pay attention to others before spouting off... This thread is the reason I mostly lurk other than the few bits of info and questions I have about people's projects or certain lines I'm FAMILIAR with. To each his own. I'm not offended I hope that maybe years.from now people reading it will be like yeah that guy knew what was up. Haha... You can lead a horse to water....

Last edited:

Mengsk

I am interested but not obsessed with the lineage and growers and propagators. Each person has a story. Being a cannabis enthusiast from California myself, with respect to those involved it is interesting to hear the stories. It doesn't mean I share the same view about most all popular weed 'coming from' literally every other coast and state except CA. I won't start ranting but one could argue that Phylos only shows what people who want credit and patents submit. Not true for everyone but the story or the narrative favors those paying Phylos to place their name next to a strain. The genetic part is objective but the part about assigning people's names or patents could get messy like a divorce or custody battle where it's just one side calling the other a liar. That is the thing about perspective. To me all weed comes from Humboldt always has. By all I don't mean 100%, I just mean that is where my supply has come from. In CA, I did not receive an import from OH or IN or FL or NY of 'some really good weed.' But how many people in those states receive CA weed? Genetic argument or smugglers' stories aside, my perception is still that most weed comes from CA. It isn't intended to be an argument. The personal accounts and details on this board sound accurate. It's just one of the finer details that connoisseurs growers and breeders can appreciate but the average customer may not spend so much time thinking about. Where the supposed first cutting came from twenty years ago is different from who or where harvested the most pounds last year. Each other region wants its credit, or maybe the individuals involved are proud of their contributions. Either way is totally cool.

I think I got it. The reason why so many strains grown (synonymous with outdoors in CA) come from other regions, is because CA will grow cuts from everywhere. Florida cuts, Indiana cuts, East coast cuts, LA cuts, ATL cuts, Humboldt cuts, Mendocino cuts, bay area cuts, no problem the Emerald Triangle will grow plenty.

The region will have an effect, maybe even indoors. Since humidity and climate are different, outdoor strains most likely should be different varieties or at least adapted versions. Southern Oregon or northern CA mountains vs East coast or Canada vs tropical Mediterranean or desert. I could be wrong for one reason or another but what that means is the best strain/plants for Florida will not be the same as the best strain for North Dakota or Canada although climate control i.e. greenhouse attempts to resolve that. Indoors most rooms are climate controlled but there is probably still a difference growing in a hot humid climate compared to cool and dry.

Last edited:

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I won't start ranting but one could argue that Phylos only shows what people who want credit and patents submit.

You'd be wrong in that assumption. One of the core purposes of Phylos is to actually prove that all these strains have been commonly available or are not exclusive to any one proprietor. It effectively PREVENTS them from being patented or given a PVP. There are plenty of people using the service and not publishing the data to be shared in the galaxy though.

dank.Frank

Mengsk

Ok thank you for that clarification. It starts to become a philosophical argument or semantics or not that important at some point. Yes many strains are all related. That doesn't necessarily help figure out who or where the "real" or "original" came from. It doesn't even matter where the original of anything came from unless you are interested in that. The last thing I want to do is pick a fight for no reason. But consider the likelihood that a company has a goal to make a profit at some point and that they aren't just setting up a big genetic browser for cannabis at their own expense for the good of the community. It is a bit like a double edged sword however. Because if you are a breeder you may want to share your strain as soon as possible to receive credit, or alternatively you may want to keep your strain a secret in which case it will not be shown on Phylos. The "credits" for cannabis genetic lineage aren't going to all the poor broke and arrested people, they only go to people who submit (online nerds) and/or people who care about that sort of thing.

JetLife175

Veteran
Ok thank you for that clarification. It starts to become a philosophical argument or semantics or not that important at some point. Yes many strains are all related. That doesn't necessarily help figure out who or where the "real" or "original" came from. It doesn't even matter where the original of anything came from unless you are interested in that. The last thing I want to do is pick a fight for no reason. But consider the likelihood that a company has a goal to make a profit at some point and that they aren't just setting up a big genetic browser for cannabis at their own expense for the good of the community. It is a bit like a double edged sword however. Because if you are a breeder you may want to share your strain as soon as possible to receive credit, or alternatively you may want to keep your strain a secret in which case it will not be shown on Phylos. The "credits" for cannabis genetic lineage aren't going to all the poor broke and arrested people, they only go to people who submit (online nerds) and/or people who care about that sort of thing.

I think it matters because of a little known word in the cannabis game.... Provenance. If I'm looking for sour diesel I want sour diesel.... If I'm looking for NL5 I want the 5 not the 2. I've popped forum x chem d beans before and never found anything like the GMO, should I just be happy I have the same cross?

For OG in particular it doesn't matter unless you're chasing a classic clone. If you're happy with growing a distantly related plant by all means. I'm not knocking it. even though I have the original I still go through Og seeds and cuts like it's going out of style. There have been some winners among them but the original is still my favorite smoke...

Mengsk

Now you have me convinced. I need to see what this OG is about. Because 20 years of popularity means something. In truth I just recently got back into cannabis after a break and what I did smoke years ago was usually whatever my friend had.

And the genetic browser Phylos has is really cool. Don't get me wrong I support the idea of knowledge sharing and open source records if not collaboration. Someone has to be the naysayer I feel, keep people on their toes or alert. Talking about these patents and stuff now might help keep someone honest in the future. I can play devil's advocate and assume there is a looming corporate agenda where mostly people with a lot of money are buying in even if the genetic resource really is meant to be open and public. In which case I would ask who gets a Phylos kit everyone who wants one free, or everyone who pays how much, or only a select few. All of those questions matter. Patent lawyers or investors looking to leverage inside knowledge aka capitalists are most likely interested in secrecy or disinformation. Meaning while I'm chatting away for free at home, some people's job is to keep secrets to benefit a very few.

If one person submits a sample because they want to see how it relates but they do not care about receiving credit at all, then it might be fair to say another person can submit a sample in order to receive credit by name without caring about how the strain relates at all. Just to reiterate some people submit in order to see the dot, and some people submit in order to see their name. Maybe it is a bit of both but those two are fundamentally different things & motives. Many of us want to know what's in everything, and some people might not want their work to be known/shared. However it might be allowed, fair game, for several similar samples to be submitted by others. So the crowd source doesn't care if you wanted something to be private or unknown, all of the copies might have a crayon-rub outline or trace connect-the-dots effect. This is the genetic part or the science which is different from the personal side who, where, when etc. Is it just a storage or is it a clone library and if so will all the clones be the same price for everyone or will it turn into a profit model etc. Lots of questions. There is no central seed bank or Noah's Ark for food vegetable grain seeds that I know of although some places probably come close. A public library for all seeds, or one place that has all clones ever, can you imagine.

Last edited:

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This seems like the same story pushed on IC by a person posting in the TK thread. The more they posted the more holes that began to show up. I read that and walked away feeling salty and not from the surf. ;) Can't remember the handle now, but it was 3-4 years ago.

More telling is the Phylos tie into GHANI - not a Hindu. If anything, it was a Paki.

"Unfortunately, the pressure of the situation got to the Gov and he started singing to investigators. ... By then, OTK had already parted ways with his original crew, many of whom had fallen victim to the raging War on Drugs."

They didn't fall victim to the war on drugs, they fell victim to his snitching ass.

dank.Frank