What's new

SFV OG Kush

Wendull C.

Veteran
These are uncrossed of cuts fwiw. Some new x'd cuts like the superman or others knock me out if I smoke too much.

Mengsk

"560 a zip" ok that may have been true but still just feeding into the hype. With legalization happening do you think it is more or less likely that more people get their hands on not only the "best" strains but all strains being passed around at the time? It's still cool to see, I guess now there's just going to be 100s-1000s more OG cuts. Sharing is caring, that's a different motto from my super secret variety is far better and therefore more valuable than yours. Easily turns into marketing hype.

The Special Reserve OG looks like Special Reserve Chemdawg or close to it. That's not what I would think of in my mind when someone says kush but they look similar. San Fernando Valley OG or SFV OG Kush (that can't possibly be two different things right?) is lemon flavor and green, not purple.

Indoors with lights can affect bud/leaf ratio not just genetics. Comparing indoor cuts to outdoor seed plants has too many variables. The phenotype and all the economics are different for that matter comparing trees grown in the sun to well manicured hydroponic or large scale indoor/outdoor commercial operations. It's kind of weird honestly to think of debating with someone online how plants I bought in Humboldt hand picked out of thousands aren't real anything. With all friendly respect both people can't be 100% correct. To my eye it's close. You can have 1, 2, 5 different plant types, but once you get to 5000 varieties you've got to go ahead and just call it 1 at that point. This is cannabis but it would be like me growing some corn in the backyard and naming every single kernel before attaching a price tag to it.

This may be more popular with people to have a new name every time. This is the way it has been in the past. Meaning each year all new names for the strains. I have always been a bit of a cynic claiming that it's the same stuff all the time renamed, while appreciating that breeders do make progress each year in adapting or improving strains. So coming full circle or to reiterate it sounds like there's still debate about what's what even though it's widely available and Phylos says most of their samples are mostly OG Kush. "Generic" or "shared" terms, varieties, genetics seem pressured by new hype I'm the only one who has this genetics.

Last edited:

Wendull C.

Veteran
Hey bud, I was telling you what I saw. I dont have much experience with og or any chems so I yield to your superior knowledge of the subject. Good luck finding the next clone only.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Fact is, there is no such thing as "feeding into the hype", when a single cut gave birth to a entire cultural revolution in terms of what the consumer demanded. OG has been staple to those who know better for over 20 years.

The comparison to corn is a bit ridiculous as well, considering farmers sue each other for pollen contamination in corn crops that causes a variety to loose it's purity. EVERY variety of corn has a name or an associated number.

From every heirloom vegetable crop, there are isolated phenotypes that represent an improvement in the gene pool, which are usually renamed to identify it as a new brand or variety. If you don't know what is what, it's very easy to end up with 5 variants of the same original heirloom in your garden, just various refinements.

It's hilarious to me, that some how, people think cannabis is different than any other form of agriculture. It's fascinating to me, to know, even in hidden away underground grow rooms and secretly prized closets across this nation, cannabis growers STILL managed to improve crop qualities for many various traits. They improved and refined not only the crop, but their techniques and their approaches to production as new information surfaced and adapted. You know, just like any other farmer has to do, but did it in the shadows all while risking freedom to do so.

But now, you want to come on here and tell people one of the true elite cuts that countless people have risked their freedom to preserve and improve is just "hype".

Yeah, that tells me a couple things, Mengsk - either you have no real experience to give your statements any merit, or, you're too new to this general cannabis thing and have no appreciation for those that came before you.

Either way, suffice to say, your analysis is wrong.

dank.Frank

Last edited:

Mengsk

I was going to say the same thing Wendull, you are right they are nothing alike. You probably won't hear too many people claim that East Coast Sour Diesel or Chem originated in Mendocino. Or that Mendo Purps came from NY. Even though the same seeds/cuts can grow anywhere. I'm not sure how many seeds it takes on average to find a good pheno or who is mainly in it for the money etc.

Mengsk

dank.Frank I meant no disrespect to you or anyone else. I am new to this cannabis thing as far as growing goes. But I'm not new to cannabis or growing, separately. The criminal aspect of it, being in the shadows, has been the norm. Now it's legal and that doesn't seem right for many people who have risked their lives and survived or gone to jail behind cannabis. I'm not a lawyer or a politician. I just think tomato seeds are tomato seeds just like cannabis or corn or eggplant or any other plant. It's not meant to ruffle anyone's feathers. But one heirloom tomato really isn't all that much more special than the next when you have dozens or hundreds on hand and each tomato produces hundreds of seeds every year. If they breed true even better. But I don't grow Burpee "F1" plants in my garden because hybrid tomatoes don't taste as good. I don't want 25 or 100 of the exact same tomato or pepper in my garden because it would be boring and monotonous. Monsanto and their agenda is bad news. Following that maximizing patents is detrimental, even if it is arguably different or more confusing with cannabis. I'm not knocking all the farmers who filled up their rooms with purchased elite clones - heck maybe we can all strive to do that one day. Legality as in recreational sales is one thing. But the real world atmosphere as in arrests or local authorities or local public perception have all been very different for decades. For example the northeast is going to have the highest prices for several reasons, every reason basically. The cost of living, climate of weather and political climate all make for riskier or more expensive cannabis. I thought Los Angeles had the highest prices because of marketing and demand. Locally grown/sourced is going to cost less environmentally. This is taking into account the black market grower must purchase all supplies at retail cost, I still feel the price of recreational weed is inflated. I don't have the answers it's just a pretty crooked/stacked deck at this point not to get philosophical but you've heard divide and conquer I'm not interested in arguing over who or where gets credit for which clone.

This may all be misdirected as I'm venting my frustrations with new laws to a bunch of enthusiasts in a kush thread /rant

Last edited:

Wendull C.

Veteran
Hey man, if all that is the case I would do everything within my power to obtain proven cuts.

Pheno hunting requires experience in my opinion. When it comes to the hunting it's the more the merrier. The counts get crazy, so a lil vacation to pick up cuts might not seem bad.

Hell, I am in state and have to drive 6 hours to get a cut I want for dep. I just dont have the time to hunt it out myself. I had it a month ago, gave it back with the promise of more cuts but my buddy is having real troubles so I really dont know.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Not offended and certainly no need to walk on egg shells.

My main points was you shouldn't get frustrated and give up your hunt for OG just because what you've experienced thus far as a grower hasn't been unique. That's seeds fault. The handful of recognized/accepted original clones: Ghost, SFV, TK, Legend - are worth every struggle it takes to secure them. Again, 20+ years as a staple and as a bar setting standard.

From a commercial standpoint, for years the concept of preserving diversity in a gene pool has been to the detriment of the plant as a whole. Bottlenecking was demonized and therefore we don't have seed stable varieties. The other aspect of that reality is cannabis is not monoecious and having DNA from two different sources makes it MUCH harder to stabilize. This is exactly why, knowing what happened 30 years ago in cannabis is so vitally important now. It's not about who as much as it is about how. With correct parental information, the ability exists to start breeding things with the proper related family members to actually pursue stability.

dank.Frank

JetLife175

Veteran
I posted a pic of the Josh D in Jack's OG thread a while back if anyone is looking for a finished flower pic to compare theirs to. OG is not hype. Trust me.

Mengsk

Might be "I got some learnin' to do." I don't mind humble pie. If anyone wants to discuss the origins of the "OG" more I'd be interested in hearing. That would be the first one before all these cuts I guess.

Of the plants I picked up there should be some good phenos. But instead of 10+ of one strain only one of each. All purchased over the counter. About 1/2 seed starts so technically not "pheno hunted" but F3-F5 if I recall correctly.

When I say F3-F5 I feel that deserves an asterisk because I understand plant biology and I take a bit of an issue with the way definitions are used. Some prefer to flesh this out with a long winded (attempt at an) explanation but I like short and simple. I remember the textbook stuff mostly I just think it is easier to sum it up.

P1 + P2 = F1 is a theory that assumes two distinct, uniform populations. Modern day in the real world, that definition doesn't really apply to cannabis. The parent plants aren't really separate from one another genetically (two distinct populations) and the parent populations aren't really homogenous or true breeding or open pollinated or land race populations. So in a nutshell Mendel's peas starting at chapter 1 you can throw out the window. Feel free to pursue long winded equations to your heart's content but it's for naught, chasing a rabbit hole. If you had a field of short hashplants for example and a field of tall hemp (no matter the parents, just an emphasis on each population being distinct and true breeding) and made a cross, that would be considered an F1 I believe. But when you have ([chem x kush] x backcross), you get the idea, using the term F1 is a stretch, it doesn't really apply or make sense.

It's always fun to try and secure known cuts and to look through new seeds. I have five now with "OG" written on the tag, with any luck one will be a winner.

Every person user or grower can have a different preference. If cookies is f1 durban x og kush then the cynic in me who used to lament (if silently) about the prevalence of big bud hybrids and lack of haze decades ago, kind of sees a lot of the newer larger grows in a similar light. It might be popular but I don't really want f1 durban cuttings even if the only reason is because it's what is popular and mostly available. Calling these strains sativa hybrids is a far cry from some real sativa phenotypes (mostly named "haze" on here I believe). I'm careful about making assumptions but greenhouse genetics are not pure land race (sativas), more like the complete opposite.

I believe cannabis has been cultivated by humans for thousands of years. That means that "modern" strains are less modern than we think, with less emphasis one the most recent 1-2 generations. This is an old argument but it remains relevant today. Human beings have been breeding weed for not hundreds, but thousands of years. There isn't really a such thing as "wild" cannabis, if you think about people using it in the area. So to give it a name and a patent (the plant) after 99.999% of the time we've known about its existence is ridiculous from one point of view. This is kind of anti-hype I realize but seeds from the 1970s or 1870s or 1470s quite likely have been selectively bred for many times more generations than any one of us will be around for. What I mean is, if a breeding cycle takes one year (less indoors or with light dep), it is very possible (fair to assume) that cannabis has been bred for potency, yield, flavor, you name it for thousands of years. Ten years, or "pre-98," is a drop in the bucket compared to thousands of generations of selective breeding. So you can use seeds from any source as long as you pick through them to find the good ones and this in a way is the best antidote to the bottleneck/inbreeding of popular strains and clone farms today.

Last edited:

skotty

horticulturist
Veteran
As stated ... im under the impression the mother of the ogs is chem91 / skunkva its already been stated she is the mother of the og kush and she is 1 side to ecsd so i have no doubt that somewhere in the sfvog cut she will also be present..

NgcvVZf.jpg

PptyA7t.jpg

JetLife175

Veteran
So let's all gather round for the story of how OG was spawned.

The most credible series of events goes something like this.....

a kid named alec gets a fire bag of weed in the Miami area he recalls being called supernaught/super knot. It contains a few seeds.

These seeds are.popped and the pheno that later becomes OG makes it to the Gainesville area where matt Berger and crew run her for a while. She gets the name "kush" at this point by a member of the crews brother because he said the nugs "looked like kushberries"

Matt's friend Josh in Cali convinces matt to bring the clone out to LA and thus begins the phenomenon known as the OG craze. Pounds sell for up to 8k and ounces up to 600 dollars. As more people obtained the cut the original growers dub their batches the "OG" kush meaning they were the original growers and keepers of the cut. Orgnkid during this period obtains the bubba first and OG after cash and weed were traded etc he releases seeds alongside 3c seed company. Todd McCormick also sold this cutting g freely for quite some time as well. She was passed around mpre.freely than people realize. Thus the name tags.

So in conclusion no one knows what's really what. The biggest lie on the internet with weed is what sierraseeds posted long ago about John from grass valley etc....

mexweed

Veteran
the best og I have had definitely had a head rush zing to it immediately when ripped from a bong, it also had noticeable similarities to some really dank hindu kush I had once, like sour garlicy body odor funk with some skunky chemdog bite, there was some very slight citrus to it if I had to put a thumb on it I would say lemon

hell's angel og has been the closest to the og that one time, same flavor basically but with some sour floral blackberry to it

most of the larry I have had has been terrible, it was dank once and had some slight purple tinges to it, earthy chemdog with some lemon

the white has been disappointing for me too, except don shula was really dank...the whiteXtriangle I believe, insane flavor earthy kush

sfv og I have had twice, once from chong's choice and it was really sour I kept wanting to describe it like if highlighter yellow lemon was a flavor and definitely some chemdog going on, the second time I was told it was the one that had an afghani worked into it at some point, good chemdog flavor but not as good as the chong's choice

have had scott's og and ghost og, good flavors but ghost was almost diesely like that astringent burnt rubber skunk, scott's was actually as some wax and tasted good but still a bit farther removed from the og that one time

Mengsk

Ok if it is a Florida -> LA thing and I am a N. California native who is just getting back into it (unfortunately?!) after ten years or so that kind of explains things. From an era where there wasn't really any choice of which weed to buy, or getting whatever clones your friend or cousin or connect had available, strain hunting is quite a change. I have not followed this site so closely when I wasn't using cannabis and I probably missed a lot of details. That's part of the beauty of it in my opinion, there will probably always be new rare cuts, but the sharing aspect of it can only go one way (like after five or ten years everyone might have it). I still have a couple of months to see what these look like for example how does Dark Heart's "SFV OG" at dispensaries compare to the others I bought or to forum Josh D cut. I can speculate how the "store bought" or easy to get cuts are likely to be nowhere near as good as the next-year elites that breeders and growers are keeping close to their chests which might be true but the fact is it has not been this easy to get so many different clones before. More doesn't necessarily increase your chances of special keepers by a lot but I think it probably helps. I'm starting to ramble here but which do you think would be more likely to yield a superb OG phenotype - sorting through a reputable pack of seeds or growing out 5-10 cuts from different sources?

Last edited:

Emperortaima

Namekian resident/farmer
So let's all gather round for the story of how OG was spawned.

The most credible series of events goes something like this.....

a kid named alec gets a fire bag of weed in the Miami area he recalls being called supernaught/super knot. It contains a few seeds.

These seeds are.popped and the pheno that later becomes OG makes it to the Gainesville area where matt Berger and crew run her for a while. She gets the name "kush" at this point by a member of the crews brother because he said the nugs "looked like kushberries"

Matt's friend Josh in Cali convinces matt to bring the clone out to LA and thus begins the phenomenon known as the OG craze. Pounds sell for up to 8k and ounces up to 600 dollars. As more people obtained the cut the original growers dub their batches the "OG" kush meaning they were the original growers and keepers of the cut. Orgnkid during this period obtains the bubba first and OG after cash and weed were traded etc he releases seeds alongside 3c seed company. Todd McCormick also sold this cutting g freely for quite some time as well. She was passed around mpre.freely than people realize. Thus the name tags.

So in conclusion no one knows what's really what. The biggest lie on the internet with weed is what sierraseeds posted long ago about John from grass valley etc....

Never heard this version before but worth taking into account considering I personally do not believe in the full article as published in the magz back in 2015 or 2016 I truly believe that chemdog is definitely in the lineage unless this other rumor of OG Kush being a affie seen a post somewhere I believe by a afghan native talking about a location of where the plants grow there is so much out there pertaining to OG Kush my question is which one is correct again thank you Jetlife175 for the share of info :tiphat:

JetLife175

Veteran
We can go through semantics all you want as to what you think is the parents of the OG, but we would all be just doing guesswork. I'm a fan of the thought that chem does have something to do with it as I've made my own s1 of the 91chem before and have found very OGesque plants in the progeny. Chem 4 seems heavily related

so sometimes the story isn't spectacular. Just some kids that found a seed in a fire bag of weed and had enough sense to keep it around. Nothing more. Nothing less.

As for the genetic makeup I am stumped. At this point it doesn't matter. OG breeds domimant, and has only made the gene pool more stellar in my eyes. She belongs up there with G13, NL,HP, and other pivotal strains made throughout the modern history of cannabis... There are obviously more details to the story I posted but that is the main bullet points