What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Serious Seeds Chronic

bobblehead

Veteran
How true. Last season I ran 11 strains, each with its respective individuals, in hopes of finding several new moms. Don't ask. After the first run, I had one plant that was an immediate keeper on the bases of yield and several that showed promise. Either, their potency was unusually high, or the smell was rather extreme, etc.

After several cycles of getting to know the chosen individuals and working with them, as an example, an Iced Grapefruit plant that originally pulled ~1.5oz dry/cured was brought up to ~2.5oz in the same 1ft^2 of floor space allocated to each 2gal pot.

These are the results of 7 IGs that only took-up 7 square feet of floor space, ~19oz at ~65% stems snapping:

IG3.JPG

I guess my point is, a lot of thing can happen the first time around.

Then, there's a matter of grower skill. I posted on another Canna forum the other day almost solely out of shock. Looking at a number of harvests, each cheered by the membership, reflected yields that could fit on a single branch of a properly grown plant. No joke; this was ridiculous. I have no doubt that the same [err...] growers gathered an impression of a strain that's wildly different than what we see in the better gardens on IC. Hard to compare apples to oranges.

Simon

Diet Vernor's? are you in MI? lol...

also, with the skill, it seems (depending on who, where, and what with), there are less problems, and a more stable environment, which could also bring a larger yield, right?

i mean take 2 different people with 2 clones off the same mother, will they get the same results?, a friend of mine and i are trying this theory out, cept he grows in soil and i do all water,

and yes the first time around, i got very lucky, but there have been a few that didnt work out so good, after that, now i feel like ive got somewhat of a handle on it,

Optimal conditions will give you the best yield and potency, correct. An inexperienced grower might not do so well and simply blame it on the plant. The experienced grower knows that not every seed is a winner, and sometimes you gotta grow a few beans to find the gems. 10 isn't shit. Try at least 20-30. Some strains throw keepers all the time, but imagine that super special plant you could find if your grow out enough...

As for your next question... 2 different growers with 2 different grow rooms with the same clone will have different, but similar results. ;) The closer the atmospheric conditions, the more similar the results will be. Temp, RH, light leaks, CO2, Nutes, Water... etc... Everything comes down to environment, and a variety of factors influence growth.

G

greenmatter

o.k. gonna take another shot at the picture thing.

finally got it done .... you have no idea how close my computer came to getting smashed for those pics.

so anyway thats what my free been turned into. when i grow from seed i always do the 100% organic thing as far as nutes and soil just to see what i have. these plants are on the outside edge of the garden because they are easy to get to but they don't get the best light. IMHO this girl was the easiest thing i have ever grown. loves the nutes and is a generally stout plant. i did stake her but that was to keep her from leaning more than anything else. if you read simon and bobbles stuff and check out their pics i think you might have a problem denying that this plant grows great. we all did very different thing with this girl as far as nutes and grow methods but we all got results. as you can see from my pics when you cut the nutes out she starts to chew herself up FAST, but like bobble pointed out that makes her easier to flush even though it aint pretty. have not smoked any of this yet but so far but as far as the grow phase of this plant goes i would rate her a 9 on a scale of 1 to 10. thanks again to everyone for the good input. PEACE

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to greenmatter again.

Beautiful plant!

Simon

nameless

bowlbreath
Veteran
yeah that plant looks pretty good. not bad for a free single huh? +K ... nope seems i must spread it around.

Last edited:
G

greenmatter

thanks guys ... saw a photo or two of yours while reading and i must say your opinions carry some weight IMHO. i wish every free seed did that. PEACE

kyndone

very beautiful plant, so this is cronic?, and someone said it is NL mixed with something,...does anyone know what that something is?

and i have a quick question, ....well another question, .. i just looked at my girls, and i found one of the bottom branches had pods of seeds in every nug except the top one and the one just below, checked her out and didnt see any more, is this common?, and can i plant em?, or are they hermy?, i dont mean to derail the thread, i am just hoping i can take advantage of all you guys, with more years green thumbin seems like alot of experience in this room, and,thank you, and greenmatter, seriously you did a fantastic job , one hell of a free bean :)

G

greenmatter

serious seeds says it is northern light x (northern light x skunk) x AK-47. as far as your question goes i would not say it is common but i have had the same thing happen more that once. if you look really close you will most likely find a male flower someplace on the lower part of the plant. it may already be dry and dead so you may not find it. i would not plant the seeds myself but thats just me. ask the question in the breeders lab. i think you might get some solid answers over there. i have also had a plant make what looked like a seed the whole time the plant was in flower but they never fully mature. i always thought it was because they were not pollinated. wish i could give you a better answer than that, maybe someone else can help you out. happy growin' kynd. PEACE

nameless

bowlbreath
Veteran
youve got a male flower in there somewhere, K. happens to me sometimes, i run a warlock i pulled from bagseed still and sometimes a nanner will go all the way, and ill end up with a few seeds. i usually give them away, i dont really have the space to be weeding through bagseed but plenty of novices would love some seed with decent genetics in there, even if it is likely to hermie, which it is. thats how i got the seed in the first place, and the one i kept is a good plant. if you have the space and or lack of high quality genetics, then pop them. if not label them and keep for a rainy day, or give to a friend. just make sure they know the deal. also, its possible that you think there are seeds in there but really, there isnt. some strains just look that way. anyway, keep an eye out for those nanners, if theres alot they can wreck your grow. best of luck to you

kyndone

077e88dbfece9b776296eea4bb7be6df_610751.jpg
they are definitely seeds :), i think i will throw em out back on the south side of my shed and see what they do this spring., hopefully they will turn out as good as greenmatter's cronic., i looked again last night and this morning, (lol, i got goo all over my hands and arms, and smelled like sweet candy/skunk pee,for about and hour when i went to bed last night ,) and cant find any more seeds, it was just one branch at the bottom that wasnt getting very much light, could that do it maybe,?

BIG JT

Planting seeds from hermie plants will produce hermie plants, most likely even more hermaphroditic than the original. I have 3 strains going, all killer, 2 of em will shoot out some of those nanners here and there and i'll find seeds. I love the strain too much to bury it for a few nanners, but id never plant the seeds, think that would be a step in the wrong direction. i spot most of em while im trimming and see what looks to be an old dead seed, but when you scrape it away, its definately a dead old male flower...

nameless

bowlbreath
Veteran
i didnt know they would tend to be more hermaphroditic thats good info there jt. makes sense too. ive just seen so many great things come from bagseeds. but it is a risk for sure. my chronics are smelling much sweeter than i expected them to. i hope it stays around.

bobblehead

Veteran
ok... first of all, lets focus on why the plant reversed. A true hermaphrodite will show both balls and pistils. A few "nanners" are the result of stress. Females don't naturally produce male pollen, but they do it under stress, and all of the fem breeders stress their plants into releasing pollen. Stress can be too much fertilizer, a light leak, colloidal silver, etc...

So... Is the plant really a hermaphrodite, or did it drop some pollen from stress? That's the question you need to be asking to know whether or not you should hang on to those seeds. ;) Next time run a tighter ship and I bet you won't have reversing issues, even with the seeds you just made.

defoliating the chronic

defoliating the chronic

I keep the container just for taking pics for IC; it was given to me. Can never be too careful. ;)

Simon

Hi Simon, got a chronic question for you. I have always removed as few leafs as possible on chronics, BUT after reading the defoliation thread and the results people are getting with it I desided to go over to my friend house and butcher my(our) plants, removed all leaves blocking lower bud sites, about 20% of all leaves. I know, some people would freek out at the thought alone.
What is your opinion on this? ever do it with chronic?
Thanks Simon, Moresntoil
ps most people would ask first, but I figure they still have enough leaves.... I still could stand to take more, I think?:wave:

G

greenmatter

so it's over. i let her go 63 days. she went into a large jar about 35 minutes ago with a hygrometer (thanks again simon) so we will see what happens. smells and smokes pretty good already so i think things will be good in the end. the chronic is not a dense as i would like it to be but what do you want from one free seed. she shrank a lot volume-wise during the dry but i still pulled 194.3 gr.off her. the smoke uncured is mild with a very heady high. trimming is the one thing that i did not like about this plant, lots of small leaves in the buds=no fun but i will be running one of these in the hydro soon. i will try to get some pics of that.