What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Serious Seeds Chronic

G

greenmatter

so .. questions for bobblehead and simon

i asked about the dry/cure and got good info. tell me about growing it. i might be repeating myself but ... i am running LC #1 and feeding with tea. this plant seems to love the nutes. i am at five weeks flower so i know i am a long way into this and won't be able to change much on this run. but ...what have you learned about what these ladies like. took cuttings and would like to hear your input. PEACE

G

greenmatter

Iv grown Chronic sense 1997 and it is a great strain, if you flower it 10 days after you pop them you will get mostly one large cola, let them go in veg 4-5 weeks you will get a nice 3-4 oz plant.

For some reason some people think its a shit strain???? I do not!

you can get a bit a hay smell to it if you dont cure it well, after it cures you can get some very nice smells, like Simon said sorda like wine, a fruity wine. I dry it for about 7 days then jar it, cure for 1 to 2 months and its very nice, friends love it. also makes great hash.

also like Simon said the stone is one sided. but I like a good indica effect.

the best part of chronic IMO is it doesnt smell very strong when growing, you can have 20 glistening ladies in you house and with a little ventilation no one would ever smell anything, hehehe.

moresntoil

thanks for the input more... now tell me more

G

growcodile

For some reason some people think its a shit strain???? I do not!

also like Simon said the stone is one sided. but I like a good indica effect.

the best part of chronic IMO is it doesnt smell very strong when growing, you can have 20 glistening ladies in you house and with a little ventilation no one would ever smell anything, hehehe.

thats true, ive grown chronic for a few years too and it doesnt really smell that much compared to others .. but it has a fruity, some pheno bubblegum like taste, everyone here loves this strain, because you can smoke it all day long without total knockout (for most trained ;)

bobblehead

Veteran
Chronic is a hungry plant, I can tell you that much.. The tight bud indica pheno needs the N cut by week 3 or 4. The sativa phenos I would feed N till weeks 4 or 5. Don't burn them, but they'll take full strength ferts and love it! I had no troubles flushing Chronic, cause they're a bunch of hungry bitches that will eat themselves up when you stop feeding them. :)

nameless

bowlbreath
Veteran
i just wanted to say thanks for everyone who added some solid info to this thread. im about 5 weeks into my first round of chronic myself and found so much of this helpful. and hilarious. those mortal kombat pics... priceless. simon, bobble, its good to know a few pros keep the chronic in the stable. ive been thinking about putting a thread up after a round or two seems like theres not as much info out there about it? was wondering peoples opinions of it in this day and age. thanks again.

nameless

bowlbreath
Veteran
so i hear. im hoping i have a better opinion of her than you do, i dont want to feel like i got a bad deal on a hundred dollar pack of beans. how many did you go through tokeNbone?

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
... i dont want to feel like i got a bad deal on a hundred dollar pack of beans. how many did you go through tokeNbone?

<grin> I don't know if there's a chance of a reliable answer to that question.

FWIW, I originally started a (non-femmed) pack of 11, got 6 females. Out of the 6, 2 were keepers given the constraints of my setup. I ran both a for several cycles and settled on one. The expression of the individuals, themselves, changed as they adjusted to the environment.

Last year, I started another pack of Chronic - a 6-pack of femmed beans. I do this with all my strains - doing the same with Iced grapefruit ATM - because you just never know. I didn't keep any of the plants, as they weren't better than what I had, but this gives you an idea as to the selection process.

Simon

chronic pre2000

I have grown chronic 3 times and ervery time it has cured in some fruity tasting weed maybe it depends on pheno as i remember 2 sativa and other solid indica, the indica dom was fruity type and best

bobblehead

Veteran
I have grown chronic 3 times and ervery time it has cured in some fruity tasting weed maybe it depends on pheno as i remember 2 sativa and other solid indica, the indica dom was fruity type and best

Exactly my experience. Haters gonna hate. Chronic is what it is. SS doesn't advertise it as a knock you on your ass strain. It's not hemp either. It's known for heavy yields... Potency is also affect by how well the plant it grown. I can tell you that everything leaving my room is better than the next guy's, even my Chronic.

nameless

bowlbreath
Veteran
thanks for the added input guys. the tight pheno that i have looks like its gonna be good, if it thickens up at all, right now (with c02) at the end of week 6 beginning of 7 its still skinnier than most of the bagseed ive run. i plan on taking it 9 so im still hopeful. anyway. simon thanks for the post makes me feel a little better. i dont mind not getting the right pheno in a pack i know its sorta luck of the draw in most cases but i feel like the plant your selling should pop up at least once in a pack. but yeah this is my first round with it i know itll adjust over time too. ive also noticed that two of the loose/sativa phenos seem to be hungry as hell. pulling cal or mag. defs. out of amended soil that everything else is really ok in. so anyway, thanks for the help everyone.

BIG JT

Bought some Chronic seeds that are about 3 weeks into veg. 100% germ ratio, got a couple hermies that i pulled, one female that showed early. keep em under 24/7 flourecents. glad i read this thread and saw they don't like being topped, thats how i was gonna take my clones before i put em into flower. i've heard it wasn't anything special, alot like AK47. im looking for that yeild though, hope it delivers. also got some dutchgrown LUI13s going. we'll see which one is the keeper, and so will you if you check out my pictures in a couple months

G

greenmatter

on day 50 of flower with my chronic. like i said it was one free seed so as far as phenos i just know what i have. if this is your average chronic plant then i would call this strain a keeper. this strain grows and produces great from what i can see. simon hit the nail on the head with the red wine thing, this plant smells fruity in fine wine way, very mild but rich. from what i am seeing she may need to go a little over 8 weeks but i think it will be worth it. the buds are not what i would call "tight" but they are not airy/loose at all.dunno but i think if you had the "one massive central bud" pheno, molds might become a problem if you have high rh. been trying to get some pictures up but having problems, gonna keep trying. PEACE

nameless

bowlbreath
Veteran
the picture thing is fixed now im pretty sure. and JT i think when it says dosent perform well with topping its referring to flowering topped plants. i topped my moms several times to bush them out for taking clones. all phenos i had were very ok with it. but i flowered untopped clones. hope this helps keep your veg ceiling down some, once they hit about 14-18 inches for me they just took off and grew a few feet in a month it seemed like. my light cant go any higher now and my moms are about 3 months old and some change. i wish i had topped mine more aggressively. hope that helps

BIG JT

Nameless, thats what I plan on doing with the plants im taking clones off of, putting them into flower. Planted seeds, taking 2 clones off of each plant, throwing those plants into flower to see which ones are the keepers, then going back to the clones that were cut off to grow out the mother plant. I like getting the money clone from the getgo but sometimes it ain't that easy...

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
I like getting the money clone from the getgo but sometimes it ain't that easy...

How true. Last season I ran 11 strains, each with its respective individuals, in hopes of finding several new moms. Don't ask. After the first run, I had one plant that was an immediate keeper on the bases of yield and several that showed promise. Either, their potency was unusually high, or the smell was rather extreme, etc.

After several cycles of getting to know the chosen individuals and working with them, as an example, an Iced Grapefruit plant that originally pulled ~1.5oz dry/cured was brought up to ~2.5oz in the same 1ft^2 of floor space allocated to each 2gal pot.

These are the results of 7 IGs that only took-up 7 square feet of floor space, ~19oz at ~65% stems snapping:

IG3.JPG

I guess my point is, a lot of thing can happen the first time around.

Then, there's a matter of grower skill. I posted on another Canna forum the other day almost solely out of shock. Looking at a number of harvests, each cheered by the membership, reflected yields that could fit on a single branch of a properly grown plant. No joke; this was ridiculous. I have no doubt that the same [err...] growers gathered an impression of a strain that's wildly different than what we see in the better gardens on IC. Hard to compare apples to oranges.

Simon

kyndone

also, with the skill, it seems (depending on who, where, and what with), there are less problems, and a more stable environment, which could also bring a larger yield, right?

i mean take 2 different people with 2 clones off the same mother, will they get the same results?, a friend of mine and i are trying this theory out, cept he grows in soil and i do all water,

and yes the first time around, i got very lucky, but there have been a few that didnt work out so good, after that, now i feel like ive got somewhat of a handle on it,