What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Seeds, Soil and 16 Square Feet

Siskiyou

Veteran
Soil>Plants>Buds>Bubble>Bubble Mash>Bokashi Bucket>Bokashi compost>worm bin>EWC>Soil>Plants>Buds...

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Soil>Plants>Buds>Bubble>Bubble Mash>Bokashi Bucket>Bokashi compost>worm bin>EWC>Soil>Plants>Buds...
:yeahthats very kool, siskiyou
i've been reading up about the bokashi and lactobacillus and fermented plant extracts lately...
making my first batch of lactobacillus right now... haven't gotten as far as bokashi yet...

Siskiyou

Veteran
I cheated. I bought a bokashi bucket that came with some inoculated bran. I do plan on making my own bokashi bran eventually, however. I just started the bucket about two and a half weeks ago, so I still don't have any finished bokashi compost for the worms yet. My guess is that about mid January I will have my first finished batch.

I have already drained off about 4 cups of bokashi juice, which I have poured down a few problematic household drains in hopes that the Effective Microorganisms will help keep them running better, which is one of their supposed benefits. Learning about EM and bokashi has been fun and fascinating so far. Putting that knowledge into practice may be even more informative.

Siskiyou

Veteran
On the drains, there are two bathroom sinks here that I seem to have to clean out the P trap at least twice a year. Inside is always a nasty slime buildup that compromises the drain. Yesterday, I poured a cup of fresh bokashi juice down each drain and forgot about them. As I understand it, it is the long-term benefit of having healthy microorganisms thriving in my pipes rather than nasty and/or stinky ones that I seek. If I don't have to clean nasty slime out of that trap in a few months I will consider it to have worked or at least helped. Apparently EM can do good things for septic systems and outhouses, also.

Siskiyou

Veteran
Sunshine Daydream #3 day 71--really the last day, probably

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
On the drains, there are two bathroom sinks here that I seem to have to clean out the P trap at least twice a year. Inside is always a nasty slime buildup that compromises the drain. Yesterday, I poured a cup of fresh bokashi juice down each drain and forgot about them. As I understand it, it is the long-term benefit of having healthy microorganisms thriving in my pipes rather than nasty and/or stinky ones that I seek. If I don't have to clean nasty slime out of that trap in a few months I will consider it to have worked or at least helped. Apparently EM can do good things for septic systems and outhouses, also.

I love the approach. I wonder how it works with 2-3 foot long hairs clogging up the pipes... about 4 times I year I haul out a globbly mess of not-my-hair :D

Oi yeah, plants are coming along beautifully.

fulltimehuman

boil white vinegar and pour a shit-load of baking soda down the drain. When the vinegar gets hot pour it on top of the soda. The vinegar and baking soda will bubble all that crap away. My drains are messed up in my apt. and this works well for me.

Siskiyou

Veteran
I love the approach. I wonder how it works with 2-3 foot long hairs clogging up the pipes... about 4 times I year I haul out a globbly mess of not-my-hair
biggrin.gif

Oi yeah, plants are coming along beautifully.

I've noticed that not-my-hair is the grossest kind. I'm not sure what EMs do to/for hair, if anything.

boil white vinegar and pour a shit-load of baking soda down the drain. When the vinegar gets hot pour it on top of the soda. The vinegar and baking soda will bubble all that crap away. My drains are messed up in my apt. and this works well for me.

If the bokashi leachate works I won't have to do that. If it doesn't work that is good to know.

Siskiyou

Veteran
Regarding Effective Microorganisms and hair. I have read that hair can be successfully composted in a worm bin, so some microorganism can do it.

I found this description of EMs on another site

"The bacteria belong primarily to three strains: yeasts, (Saccharomyces spp.), bacteria that produce lactic acids (Lactobacillus spp.), and (phototrophic) purple non-sulfur bacteria (Rhodopseudomonas spp.). These, or bacteria like them, are the active organisms in yogurt and in silage, the fermented hay that is produced all over the world as a livestock feed. All smell sour or fermented but none produce a smell nearly as foul as those associated with natural anaerobic processes."

Siskiyou

Veteran
My plan for utilizing the finished bokashi is getting a little refinement after last night's readings.

When freshly finished, straight bokashi has a PH of around 3, more acidic than most vinegar (is this one of the reasons it works on drain pipes?). Several times I have read that worms will adjust to eating bokashi, just to feed small amounts in the beginning and let them come to it. I have read similar things about other acidic foods like tropical and citrus fruits, that the worms and microbes will adjust.

Rather than feed pure finished bokashi to the worms, I will utilize another plastic bin, one that holds at least twice as much as the bokashi bucket. In that bin will be some used soil, fresh EWC, dry leaves, fairly generous amounts of pumice, rockdust and oyster shell flour, rice hulls and perhaps some shredded paper or cardboard. In this bin I will "bury" my finished bokashi to let it decompose further and to let the PH balance out for a few weeks. The product of that bin will be my worm food.

Siskiyou

Veteran
Sunshine Daydream #3 was harvested on day 72, really. Her tight branching pattern and late growth spurt hid some really nice-sized buds. She smells delicious. Stems are strong and hollow, but not to the extreme hollowness of #2.

picture.php
picture.php

Siskiyou

Veteran
Sunshine Daydream #4 nugs. Noticeably more round than the other 3 SSDD girls. Almost as sticky as SD2. SD4 has the most unique aroma of the four, but I'm not positive I can call it "butter" at this point, although "sour" is in the mix as well as something of a "smooth" smell (I'm not even sure what I mean by that, perhaps "metallic" or "coppery"). First taste screamed "Bubba!"
Some time in the jar will bring out more of her true qualities I am sure. I can already tell SD1 and SD2 apart by smell, taste, feel and appearance. It appears I will be able to do the same with SD3 and SD4. I am already happy with all four.
picture.php

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Regarding Effective Microorganisms and hair. I have read that hair can be successfully composted in a worm bin, so some microorganism can do it.
many organic gardening books say that hair (human, dog, cat, horse) can be used in compost... EM & bokashi is more or less just accelurated composting, right? should be fine...

HillBilly1

Veteran
"And so each venture is a new beginning, a raid on the inarticulate." T.S.Eliot

I flower my plants in a 4x4 tent, with a 1K HPS. The room is not sealed, and i rely completely on air exchange for my CO2 (no supplemental CO2). If you are looking for a large grow you will be disappointed here, since I grow only for my self.

I grow from seed or my own clones only.

My soil is recycled. It is about two years old right now, and just getting better as far as I can tell. My inputs are ALMOST all organic, with a few exceptions I will eventually discuss.

I am currently exploring Bodhi Seeds gear and have a keeper of Lucky Charms, and am sorting through four females each of Dream Beaver and Sunshine Daydream. I hope to have a keeper cut of each of these three by the end of the year so that I can explore the seeds I have for 2015 (Lotus Larry, Black Triangle, Superstitious, and Love Dawg). The only other cut I am currently holding is the HPRC cut of Ganja Rebel's Double Strawberry Diesel.

One final warning before you enter. I can be a grumpy fucker, and i have significant back pain so if i seem like a dick it's because I am one.

But I do love ganja. My goal is to grow what I like best, and I have no market to play to. I like it that way. PMed and moldy herb sprayed with godknowswhat? Not for me.

The number one reason I started this journal was to have a place to discuss soil.

I have learned a great deal from many people here at ICMag and want to make sure these discussions keep rolling.

A few days ago I posted this photo of my Lucky Charms keeper in the Bodhi Seeds info thread, it was grown from clone at 63 days flowering, water only, recycled soil. I will use it as a launch point for this thread with the promise of fresh photos to come.
View Image
I assume Sis CO lol see nice plants do come from Nor-Cal